Setnimel wrote:People leave for various reasons, life changes and things move on. I stopped playing for a around 3 years and have come back in the last couple of days for a bit of fun. I think instead of looking at the reasons why people leave, the bigger question is why new people are put off joining. You can't keep everybody playing CC at the end of the day, but to maintain a healthy user base there needs to be people joining CC too.
I think some possible reasons for this decline have been discussed in this very thread. I know I have offered a few theories over the past few years.
I think there are a few main reasons:
1) this game is not easily played on a cell phone (it is TOO complex);
2) the game does not appeal to those who grew up playing NES (or other such gaming systems) or video games with all the "Bells and Whistles";
3) the 24 hour wait is a turn-off to many younger players; it is TOO SLOW.
4) Many younger gamers never played the BOARD game Risk in RL and so this format does not appeal to them.
5) There are simply TOO MANY OTHER gaming options that offer # 1-2 and are JUS more appealing to the younger gamers.
6) Nothing is constant and this site must evolve to attract new players. I do not see the "Other Games" as a big draw to combat the decline.
7) People change; some come and some go, as in Real Life. Some leave, some return, and we add a few new players here and there.
The bump up due to COVID restrictions will not last. We have kept few from that bump; I am a Guide (and Super Guide, too) and have seen many NR GO and never return. SOME barely stay on CC more than 3 minutes.
I play some games on another game site (Pogo) and that too has seen a decline. I started a similar thread as this and IT WAS REMOVED by the "Powers to Be" as (I assume) they did not want the decline to be documented. I was NOT given any notice of its removal until I went to the Forum and I COULD NOT FIND IT.
BOTTOM LINE (or nearly so):
As long as there are those of us who enjoy the strategy and challenge of the RISK game concepts, and enjoy playing with other good game players, this site will survive in some form, at least a few more years.