Conquer Club

Golden Nuggets from my archives

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Golden Nuggets from my archives

Postby lackattack on Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:54 am

I was looking at my old collection of Conquer Club files (I used to be the webmaster here) and I found a bunch of stuff that ought to be shared with people that might also appreciate them. Today's nugget is the original World Map. I'll try to remember to post another nugget every now and then. Enjoy!

show
Sergeant lackattack

Re: Golden Nuggets from my archives

Postby JBlombier on Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:56 am

The reason I joined CC!
What a beautiful map it still is...

Keep 'em coming, lack.
Major JBlombier

Postby JoshyBoy on Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:30 am

:o

:shock:

:cry:
drunkmonkey wrote:I honestly wonder why anyone becomes a mod on this site. You're the whiniest bunch of players imaginable.

Ron Burgundy wrote:Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island?
Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Postby iAmCaffeine on Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:39 am

Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby Mr Changsha on Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:07 pm

lackattack wrote:I was looking at my old collection of Conquer Club files (I used to be the webmaster here) and I found a bunch of stuff that ought to be shared with people that might also appreciate them. Today's nugget is the original World Map. I'll try to remember to post another nugget every now and then. Enjoy!

I still miss playing on it... :(
Colonel Mr Changsha

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:23 pm

I've seen that image before, although I wasn't around in those days.

That's what comes up first if I Google "Conquer Club".

http://www.totaldiplomacy.com/RiskGameCommunity/RiskGameOnline/tabid/81/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/36/Conquer-Club.aspx

Ironic that their review was written in 2007 and never updated, and still has Google placement over Conquer Club itself when searching for Conquer Club.
:(

Seriously something wrong with this picture. Incidentally <makes mental note> I keep intending to ask the admins why they don't ask that site to review us again.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby angola on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:02 am

I'm pretty sure I remember that version. Classic Shapes/Art was what came out of that, right?

I always liked Classic Art. Too bad we can't bring that back.
Highest rank: 48th. Highest score: 3,384. Feb. 9, 2014.
Lieutenant angola

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:32 am

Dukasaur wrote:Ironic that their review was written in 2007 and never updated, and still has Google placement over Conquer Club itself when searching for Conquer Club.

Seriously something wrong with this picture. Incidentally <makes mental note> I keep intending to ask the admins why they don't ask that site to review us again.

Many of the RISK review sites out there weren't actual review sites -- I think we found a few were bankrolled by competitors. Ha. I remember contacting a bunch way back in the day to have them review us, or review us, giving them notes on the changes and improvements made, and I recall getting back messages like "Yeah, we've done all we want to do." :-$

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:18 am

AndyDufresne wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:Ironic that their review was written in 2007 and never updated, and still has Google placement over Conquer Club itself when searching for Conquer Club.

Many of the RISK review sites out there weren't actual review sites -- I think we found a few were bankrolled by competitors. Ha. I remember contacting a bunch way back in the day to have them review us, or review us, giving them notes on the changes and improvements made, and I recall getting back messages like "Yeah, we've done all we want to do." :-$

--Andy

Yeah, I can think of at least one website (also with very high Google placement) that fits your description, and is almost certainly a paid shill for major commode.

The one in my link above doesn't seem to be, however. His main commercial angle is selling his book on Risk strategy, and the rating of online Risk sites is very much a sideline for him. The reviews seem to be fair and impartial, just out of date.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby nietzsche on Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:35 pm

lackattack wrote:I was looking at my old collection of Conquer Club files (I used to be the webmaster here) and I found a bunch of stuff that ought to be shared with people that might also appreciate them. Today's nugget is the original World Map. I'll try to remember to post another nugget every now and then. Enjoy!

best map ever!
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby TeeGee on Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:18 am

Thanks for bringing back some great memories lack :)
Kotaro wrote:TG for site owner 2020
Field Marshal TeeGee

Location: Traversing the Multiverse, looking for a Yak with 3 ears

Postby Gilligan on Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:39 am

Now where can we see Middle Earth?! :)
Major Gilligan

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:59 am

Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Gilligan on Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:04 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
Gilligan wrote:Now where can we see Middle Earth?! :)

https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=889&start=210#p1653121

=D> =D> =D> =D>
Major Gilligan

Postby codeblue1018 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:35 pm

nietzsche wrote:

best map ever!

The good ol' days
Lieutenant codeblue1018

Postby Mr Changsha on Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:40 pm

codeblue1018 wrote:
nietzsche wrote:

best map ever!

The good ol' days

It is still one of the best-looking, basic geographical maps.
Colonel Mr Changsha

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:29 pm

the compasskull is awesome
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby timmytuttut88 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:03 am

Last edited by timmytuttut88 on Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain timmytuttut88

Postby kalishnikov on Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:00 am

timmytuttut88 wrote:http://brawl-hall.com/board/showthread.php?t=177976&highlight=conquer+club

Now THAT brings back some memories... Some jimmies sure did get russled on both sides.

Also, I miss Dancing_Mustard.
Sergeant 1st Class kalishnikov

Postby owenshooter on Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:41 am

DoomYoshi wrote:the compasskull is awesome

awesome does not even sum up what the compass skull was... sigh... the black jesus is nostalgic...-el Jesus negro
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Koganosi on Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:15 am

:( the good ol days. Now we have stuff we dont even need like inventory and such, that map was so good, it was sad to see it go when they had to! Still remember!!!

Urs

koganosi
Major Koganosi

Postby kalishnikov on Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:08 am

Koganosi wrote::( the good ol days. Now we have stuff we dont even need like inventory and such, that map was so good, it was sad to see it go when they had to! Still remember!!!

Urs

koganosi

We used to have such a sense of community and there was a real "personal-ness" to this site, such that we wouldn't post things on these forums we wouldn't say to each others' faces (except maybe Flame Wars but even that was in good fun), we had pride in community because we loved this site.

These days between all the added gimmicks (freakin zombies :roll: It really needs to be absolutely everywhere? Inventory? Unless it's cards I don't need it to play Risk. Parachute reinforcement? A crutch for poor players at best) and the attitudes of quite a number of the posters and the volunteer staff there's hardly any reason to visit these forums let alone support this site with a membership.

Really is a shame but oh well, I'll just quietly go back to waiting for weeks for games to fill instead of days due to all this added detritus under "game options" and reminiscing about the old days from my rocking chair on the front porch.
Sergeant 1st Class kalishnikov

Postby jdw35 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:42 pm

kalishnikov wrote:
Koganosi wrote::( the good ol days. Now we have stuff we dont even need like inventory and such, that map was so good, it was sad to see it go when they had to! Still remember!!!

Urs

koganosi

We used to have such a sense of community and there was a real "personal-ness" to this site, such that we wouldn't post things on these forums we wouldn't say to each others' faces (except maybe Flame Wars but even that was in good fun), we had pride in community because we loved this site.

I agree with you, I miss the community feeling of the past. The forums just arent the same as they used to be. Many of the "regulars"
have moved on from the site, which is unfortunate to say the least
Major jdw35

Postby elfish_lad on Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:52 am

Okay. ~clears throat~ I call bull-crap.

Not on your collective memories. That is totally cool and valid.

Not calling "crap" on your thoughts as to whether or not the current version (sans Mustard-man, and lack) was or wasn't better than now.

I call crap on your commentary on the rest of our collective experience. I've encountered many, many interesting people since I've been here, and was very glad to come back to this inter-web location.

Yeah.

Have your memories, but join in with the new folk. Jebus. I posted this same damn thing in 2009. I guess ya'all didn't do a GD search.

E.
Major elfish_lad

Postby jdw35 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:32 pm

Sooooo where are these Golden Nuggets? haha i was expecting a little more out of this topic...
Major jdw35

Next

Return to Conquer Club Discussion