Conquer Club

1 minute speed game w/ Escalating spoils.

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

1 minute speed game w/ Escalating spoils.

Postby universalchiro on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:32 pm

If I have a slower Internet connection, am I at a disadvantage playing against others that have faster Internet connection in 1 minute speed Escalating game?

How much does Internet speed factor in, for I have a slow Internet speed?
============
After reading comments on page 1, adding Multiple players and freestyle gives a decisive advantage to the player with highest Internet speed. Since I have a slower Internet speed, I would be donating even though I have above average tactics because I may not deploy fast enough attack fast enough, advance fast enough and may not end turn fast enough to collect important escalating spoil. Is that the general consensus?
Last edited by universalchiro on Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
General universalchiro
SoC Training Adviser

Re: 1 minute speed game w/ Escalating spoils.

Postby ChrisPond on Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:42 pm

universalchiro wrote:If I have a slower Internet connection, am I at a disadvantage playing against others that have faster Internet connection in 1 minute speed Escalating game?

i can not answer the question but i would say if you are going to go escalating and speed, you might as well add in freestyle. may i recommend a 8 player freestyle, escalating, game on doodle with freefalling123?

Top Rank: 12 High Score: 3912
Colonel ChrisPond

Postby rhp 1 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:53 pm

universalchiro wrote:If I have a slower Internet connection, am I at a disadvantage playing against others that have faster Internet connection in 1 minute speed Escalating game?

not much in seq 1v1... in multiplayer games? you might have an issue, depending on how long it takes you to assess things and make kills, but most multiplayer escalating games are 2 minutes minimum, and 3 minutes normally... as long as you can finish your turn, you're fine... 1 minute freestyle speeders? steer clear if you like your rank... errrr... I mean, set some up and invite me
Last edited by rhp 1 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant rhp 1

Location: IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING, IT IS BEST TO DO IT....... QUICKLY

Postby betiko on Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:55 pm

ChrisPond wrote:

i can not answer the question but i would say if you are going to go escalating and speed, you might as well add in freestyle. may i recommend a 8 player freestyle, escalating, game on doodle with freefalling123?

:lol: luulz chris

Well chiro, you know yourself if you re a fast player, but basically on doodle you should have all the time in the world, on world 2.1 even the fastest don t have enough time to do all they need to do.
Major betiko

Postby rhp 1 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:56 pm

betiko wrote:
ChrisPond wrote:

Well chiro, you know yourself if you re a fast player, but basically on doodle you should have all the time in the world, on world 2.1 even the fastest don t have enough time to do all they need to do.

wrong on that last part Bet
Lieutenant rhp 1

Location: IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING, IT IS BEST TO DO IT....... QUICKLY

Postby universalchiro on Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:22 pm

Okay I'm picking up that there is a clear disadvantage to me playing speed multiple player freestyle and I should steer clear so as not to donate points because of my slower Internet speed.

Let's be fair and hear from the other side of the coin:
Is it a disadvantage to have too high of an Internet speed when playing speed freestyle multiple player escalating games?
Last edited by universalchiro on Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
General universalchiro
SoC Training Adviser

Postby rhp 1 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:28 pm

universalchiro wrote:Okay I'm picking up that there is a clear disadvantage to me playing speed multiple player freestyle and I should steer clear so as not to donate points because of my slower Internet speed.

Let's be fair and hear from the other side of the coin:
Is it a disadvantage to have too high of an Internet speed when playing speed multiple player escalating games?

umm.... NO
Lieutenant rhp 1

Postby rhp 1 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:29 pm

and when you ask questions like this you need to be speicific

speed fs vs. casual fs vs. speed seq...

all completely different games with completely different strategies...
but never is it a disadvantage to have too fast of a connection... ever... I'm not even sure there is such a thing as too fast...

In addition... I have no clue what you deem to be "fast" or "slow"... so subjective...
for example... if you were trying to move quickly, how long would it take you to make 3 consecutive attacks in a row? one attack after the next, going as fast as you can... how many seconds would these 3 attacks take you to make?
Lieutenant rhp 1

Postby universalchiro on Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:46 pm

Yes yes. Freestyle speed. Seems there is a consensus that me having a slower (let's say one who is at crowded Barnes & Noble public Internet sharing download and up load with other patrons) Internet is a clear disadvantage in speed multi-, freestyle, escalating, standard (or assassin ), then players with faster Internet speed. Is there anyone who claims its a disadvantage to having too fast an Internet speed in same settings?
General universalchiro
SoC Training Adviser

Postby rhp 1 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:34 pm

universalchiro wrote:Yes yes. Freestyle speed. Seems there is a consensus that me having a slower (let's say one who is at crowded Barnes & Noble public Internet sharing download and up load with other patrons) Internet is a clear disadvantage in speed multi-, freestyle, escalating, standard (or assassin ), then players with faster Internet speed. Is there anyone who claims its a disadvantage to having too fast an Internet speed in same settings?

asked an answered... it is never such.. you can't be "too fast".. this is objectively true..
Lieutenant rhp 1

Postby betiko on Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:06 pm

What the hell is your point chiro? Feels like you re raming into open doors after having a silly conversation with someone.

And rhp; yes, any fast player has trouble in world 2.1 to achieve a complicated split drop with a large escalating cash to go for a spread kill. You play accordingly, and can t play it as you would if you had your full 3 minutes. Sometimes you have to renounce to go for a good kill because you might end up short on time and give the kill to someone else. Same thing on hive or any huge map.
No one can play a perfect turn in one minute on huge maps.
Let s say rhp 1 minute faces rhp 3 minutes on world 2.1; no way after 100 games we end up close to 50/50
Major betiko

Postby FreeFalling123 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:50 pm

betiko, you obviously haven't watched my hive 1v1 in 1 min moves. Everyone says the same thing it comes down to speed. Chiro is going to be at somewhat of a disadvantage, but if everyone plays perfectly there is never going to be an end to these 6p doodles I play. I think that's part of what he wants to know, but as soon as someone makes a mistake Chiro needs to have the fastest reaction if not the fastest internet to get the edge. I'm sure some players can get away with 150ms I've definitely won games with 250-400ms and a struggle, but I'm much more comfortable around the 50-150 ms which is giving me maybe 2 attacks in 1 second if I optimize, which most of the time isn't even part of my goal.
Major FreeFalling123

Postby nietzsche on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:12 pm

betiko wrote:
ChrisPond wrote:

freestyle doodle with 1 min is too little if you don't have a fast connection because the other player could run and you don't get to kill him, might even miss the card, then he has another shot.
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby betiko on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:38 pm

FreeFalling123 wrote:betiko, you obviously haven't watched my hive 1v1 in 1 min moves. Everyone says the same thing it comes down to speed. Chiro is going to be at somewhat of a disadvantage, but if everyone plays perfectly there is never going to be an end to these 6p doodles I play. I think that's part of what he wants to know, but as soon as someone makes a mistake Chiro needs to have the fastest reaction if not the fastest internet to get the edge. I'm sure some players can get away with 150ms I've definitely won games with 250-400ms and a struggle, but I'm much more comfortable around the 50-150 ms which is giving me maybe 2 attacks in 1 second if I optimize, which most of the time isn't even part of my goal.

idon't know how you check and if the way i do is accurate, i check on the live chat, but maybe the chat server is different from the cc one... anyway, i get 300ms

nevertheless, you talk about 2 attacks in 1 second. let's say there is a guy you need to kill on hive over 40 regions with 6 stacks minimum; you have a trade to take+ the drop to make and like it or not a good 3 seconds of thinking. The trade and the drop will eat tons of your time. add a small lag problem and a dicefail that makes you use a plan B somewhere+the fort and turn ending. you are not being reasonable telling me that you can plan that type of turn as eficiently as if you had 3 minutes. it is impossible not to struggle with certain complicated turns on large maps in 1 minute games.
Major betiko

Postby FreeFalling123 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:00 pm

Well if it's freestyle and you are out deploying eventually they won't be able to accommodate your deployment advantage. In general when u are speeding around a map it's going to break connection for both players and lag due to activity. If you use clickies and have some mouse skills you should be able to get at least 2 regions every 3 seconds. If u are a god and can go 5 regions per 4 seconds more power to you. I shoot for 1 per 1 and that seems to be good enough and you only need around 200ms to get there. Of course in tense moments it always spikes the ms for some reason and of course you have to have found the right move processes prior to this or mistakes come or missed opportunity finds you.
Major FreeFalling123

Postby betiko on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:14 pm

FreeFalling123 wrote:Well if it's freestyle and you are out deploying eventually they won't be able to accommodate your deployment advantage. In general when u are speeding around a map it's going to break connection for both players and lag due to activity. If you use clickies and have some mouse skills you should be able to get at least 2 regions every 3 seconds. If u are a god and can go 5 regions per 4 seconds more power to you. I shoot for 1 per 1 and that seems to be good enough and you only need around 200ms to get there. Of course in tense moments it always spikes the ms for some reason and of course you have to have found the right move processes prior to this or mistakes come or missed opportunity finds you.

i was originally answering this post as a question regarding 1 minute sequential since originally nothing about freestlye was mentioned. i have no idea how many terts per second i take when i play real fast games, all i know is that i never disable the advance confirmation and that i always have a finger pressing enter for every tert taken lol. you made me look at my most recent game where speed wasn't important and I was just following a trail. i actually take 3s per tert lol. so let's say if i try to go fast probably 2s; but i can't click faster than the troops advance on the screen. if the game was hosted on my computer and i removed the advance confirmation i sure could hit 1 tert per second at the very least.
Major betiko

Postby FreeFalling123 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:29 pm

Agreed, even in seq example you outdeploy at some point you are going to break all their bonuses and find a win. Unless you are saying with esc it's impossible to stay ahead against someone so much faster than you are. I might agree but at the same time I've seen many players just outsmart the speed player. Although it's probably rare if there is any skill behind the speed. Which makes me want to play 1 minute hive sequential esc just to try it lol
Major FreeFalling123

Postby betiko on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:35 pm

FreeFalling123 wrote:Agreed, even in seq example you outdeploy at some point you are going to break all their bonuses and find a win. Unless you are saying with esc it's impossible to stay ahead against someone so much faster than you are. I might agree but at the same time I've seen many players just outsmart the speed player. Although it's probably rare if there is any skill behind the speed. Which makes me want to play 1 minute hive sequential esc just to try it lol

i was more thinking of examples of multiplayer singles game where with 3 minutes you would go for a kill giving benefits, but since you have only 1 minute and you're not sure you'll make it you'd rather not weaken a player to make it even easier for someone else to kill.
Major betiko

Postby universalchiro on Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:58 am

Wow this is some great information. So everyone that has posted has agreed that with the following settings:
Freestyle
Standard
Multiplayer
1 minute speed
I would be at a disadvantage playing the above setting with my slower internet speed versus a player(s) with higher internet speed. And conversely a player with fastest internet speed would have a superior advantage to all other players in the above setting.

So maybe this thread needs a sister thread in suggestions to create a more fair level playing field. For it seems from what I'm reading that even though I'm an above average tactical player, I would be at a disadvantage playing the above settings with players with faster internet.

I wouldn't want to play in a game where my opponents have an unfair advantage that is beyond strategy, beyond dice, beyond experience against me that is outside the game and neither would you. Maybe we should suggest a modification in game choices for "Start A Game" folder. If Freestyle with 1 minute multiplayer speed creates an unfair advantage and allows those with faster internet to be more successful than they would be otherwise, then those two settings should not be allowed in a game.

If I went out and got Comcast commercial business internet which is faster than T1 and that aided me in winning a higher % of freestyle 1 minute multiplayer speed games, at what point does it become industrial farming to garnish huge points from freestyle 1 minute multiplayer speed because of internet speed. Some countries have slower internet speeds than other countries, and within the United States it varies as well. From reading the prior responses by multiple players, not only have you guys prevented me from losing massive points to someone with faster internet, you have alerted me to another issue which I just put forward.
Thoughts? Should 1 minute speed freestyle multiplayer be removed as an option because internet speed variations plays a roll in deciding games.
Or should CC add a section for those with a certain download and upload speeds to play each other, and those with slower speeds to play each other. Then the internet speed doesn't factor in deciding who wins.
Thoughts? (I'm still digesting this information myself) So this thread is taking a detour and may open up a suggestion thread.
General universalchiro
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Tenebrus on Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:48 am

You're right, universalchiro, of course, but it's a question of the size of the relevant advantage. In a 6p doodle game, it helps but it is (I think) still a fairly minor issue. I have a fairly crap connection, and just use the sites clickies but I reckon I'm still top tier in those 6p doodle games. The games where it really comes down to a ping contest are very, very few. There are ways to mitigate it, you have a slightly different style if you can't move as fast as FreeFalling or Krapht but it's still a style that works. A lot of it is about choosing your moments. On doodle especially where the map is so small. You don't wait to go for the elim until 5s because then you're probably going to get beat. You set it up, and go at 20s or whatever.

It's an advantage just as much as whether you're highly caffeinated. Skill, planning, a good drop will beat a better ping every single time.
Captain Tenebrus

Postby iAmCaffeine on Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:06 am

Speed freestyle; any good player can cash, drop and attack in five or six seconds. If you can't keep up then avoid. There's only one way to learn though. Internet connection isn't critical if you play it well and keep alert.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby betiko on Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:45 am

I don't know if chiro is being serious or asking us to state the obvious with an agenda. 1minute speed freestyle are obviously games where you need to be extremely fast, and having a faster internet conection is obviously an advantage.
this is like asking "in a race, is it an advantage to have a faster car?" :roll:
But not only this. Basically, if i had to compare a game with a race, sequential would be like studiying the circuit with all the time in the world and deciding the line you're taking in each curve on a turn by turn basis in the best way to overtake your oponent.
In speed freestyle, each driver will have driving skills and would be able to take naturally a curve in real time with the opponents driving next to him in real time; some will have a better real time analysis of the best line to take and be faster at doing it, on top of that there is the car's top speed. But if you have the fastest car and you are not very fast executing your move or to analyze the best line to take anticipating what others will do you will not be successfull.
basically; if you play the best, you need the best car, the best thinking and the best manual skills to stand a chance, it's 3 things. It involves some extra skills that a casual sequential player doesn't work on. It's not honest to say that it's all about the internet connection.
I know that I can work my way in those kind f games, i've won a few speed freestyle battle royales, compensating my slow moves with good analysis and timing, and taking advantage of other people's bad moves.
But vs top players if not a bit lucky I don't stand a chance in some configurations. The re was a battle royale for example that was totally for me but i ended in face to face vs a really fast player (timmy). he managed to take extremly fast territories and make me miss a spoil; he took a few bonuses that i didn't have time to break and he had 3 carders at good timings while i was double pairing. It ended up with me on 2 regions and a huge trade to come while he had basically no cards left and troops worth half less than my upcomming trade. well the turn started and i didn't even have the time to drop my troops on one of my tert he had already taken me out (and i really went as fast as i could)! so not only he had a much faster conection but he was a way faster executer. you have more parameters to take into consideration.
Major betiko

Postby Tenebrus on Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:53 am

That's exactly right Betiko, speed of thought and execution and ping all matter. But of those three, ping is by far the least important.
Captain Tenebrus

Postby iAmCaffeine on Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:01 am

Tenebrus wrote:That's exactly right Betiko, speed of thought and execution and ping all matter. But of those three, ping is by far the least important.

+1

That's where most non-freestylers think wrong.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby rhp 1 on Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:30 pm

Tenebrus wrote:That's exactly right Betiko, speed of thought and execution and ping all matter. But of those three, ping is by far the least important.

+2
Lieutenant rhp 1

Next

Return to Conquer Club Discussion