Conquer Club

New Map: Promontary Summit

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: New Map: Promontary Summit

Postby JBlombier on Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:04 pm

What an awesome way to say the map is ugly, Andy.

I don't agree, btw. The graphics aren't so bad, it's the gameplay that's terrible. I'm sure there will be a thread for that soon, btw.
Disclaimer: I should've been in the Foundry to state this earlier, of course!

- Joeri
Major JBlombier

Postby iAmCaffeine on Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:28 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:
I find it amusing how nobody has actually given a reason as to why the map passed the graphics stage.

Because there's nothing wrong with it?

Everything is clear and easy to see?

You're the one claiming that there's something wrong, so the onus is on you to provide some specific problem that you think should have been addressed. And saying "it's ugly" is an irrelevant subjective opinion. A specific problem would be something like "there's not enough contrast between the background and the font, so the legend is hard to read."

Actually, a hell of a lot of people have agreed with me but they have chosen to do so privately. Again, no offence to you, but considering you're not a graphics professional I don't expect you to agree.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby Metsfanmax on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:01 pm

iAmCaffeine wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:
I find it amusing how nobody has actually given a reason as to why the map passed the graphics stage.

You're the one claiming that there's something wrong, so the onus is on you to provide some specific problem that you think should have been addressed. And saying "it's ugly" is an irrelevant subjective opinion. A specific problem would be something like "there's not enough contrast between the background and the font, so the legend is hard to read."

Actually, a hell of a lot of people have agreed with me but they have chosen to do so privately. Again, no offence to you, but considering you're not a graphics professional I don't expect you to agree.

If the substance of your comment is "I'm a graphics professional and I can tell you this sucks, but I don't have time to explain why," then you're not contributing anything useful.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby iAmCaffeine on Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:32 am

Metsfanmax wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:

If the substance of your comment is "I'm a graphics professional and I can tell you this sucks, but I don't have time to explain why," then you're not contributing anything useful.

Are you blind or just deliberately annoying? I have already explained twice that I didn't offer suggestions because the map was about to be quenched. If there was any chance of my feedback being taken on board I would have given it.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby Butters1919 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:43 am

iAmCaffeine wrote: Again, no offence to you, but considering you're not a graphics professional I don't expect you to agree.

One does not have be a graphics professional to look at a graphic and say to oneself "I like that.". I look at the Mona Lisa and say "Meh". I'm sure astute artists would scoff at that, but that's OK! It's our opinion and we're entitled to it, as you are yours.
Cook Butters1919

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:15 am

iAmCaffeine wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:

Are you blind or just deliberately annoying? I have already explained twice that I didn't offer suggestions because the map was about to be quenched. If there was any chance of my feedback being taken on board I would have given it.

Of course there's a chance of your feedback being taken on board -- obviously not for the map in question, but for future maps. So if you wanted to contribute, you would explain what went wrong here so that the Foundry could avoid making the same mistake again later. If you just want to bitch, that's fine too I guess.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby BigBallinStalin on Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:20 am

AndyDufresne wrote:It's definitely not a map that I find very appealing from a graphics point of view, but I've mostly retired from the Foundry so I know that if I am not active during the process, my right to complain after the fact is pretty limited.

--Andy

Your people need your kingly guidance, Andy.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby JBlombier on Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:13 am

I suspected the gameplay would suck, so I forced myself to play it and it turns out it really sucks. I'm one of the biggest fans of cairns, so this is a bit of a let frown.

- JBlombier
Major JBlombier

Postby owenshooter on Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:01 pm

JBlombier wrote:What an awesome way to say the map is ugly, Andy.

I don't agree, btw. The graphics aren't so bad, it's the gameplay that's terrible. I'm sure there will be a thread for that soon, btw.

- Joeri

It is very popular on the Price is Right!!! the black jesus has spoken...-el Jesus negro

Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby JBlombier on Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:11 pm

Damnit, I should've been on The Price Is Right!!!
Major JBlombier

Postby iAmCaffeine on Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:17 pm

JBlombier wrote:I suspected the gameplay would suck, so I forced myself to play it and it turns out it really sucks. I'm one of the biggest fans of cairns, so this is a bit of a let frown.

- JBlombier

That just makes it so much worse, since cairns has a reputation for top gameplay and shit graphics. Here we have shit on both ends!

Butters1919 wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote: Again, no offence to you, but considering you're not a graphics professional I don't expect you to agree.

One does not have be a graphics professional to look at a graphic and say to oneself "I like that.". I look at the Mona Lisa and say "Meh". I'm sure astute artists would scoff at that, but that's OK! It's our opinion and we're entitled to it, as you are yours.

I don't like the Mona Lisa, but you missed my point. I can look at a designer's work and say it's good but not like it. There is a difference.

Metsfanmax wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:

Of course there's a chance of your feedback being taken on board -- obviously not for the map in question, but for future maps. So if you wanted to contribute, you would explain what went wrong here so that the Foundry could avoid making the same mistake again later. If you just want to bitch, that's fine too I guess.

Thank you for continuing to go around in circles.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby demonfork on Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:26 pm

The map is a turd.
Sergeant 1st Class demonfork

Postby BoganGod on Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:57 am

iAmCaffeine wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:

Ah the hoary old "people agree with me, but only in private" chestnut. Do you know angels talk to me all the time, mainly asking for more over time, and threatening to go work for that suicidal triple personality deity with the perforated hands. Generally I don't talk about angels, as interact with them in private. This seems to be the place to bring up unsubstantiated irrelevant information. Angels like wee provided it doesn't smell like asparagus.

For a graphics professional, your not very knowledgeable about your professional terminology. Maybe you could write more elegantly than "It look baaad, me no like, it ugly, me can do good, trust me, me know how do good!! Map bad, me good, cause I say me good, me no want to help, me just say not good"

If your a graphical professional why are you not sporting a kick arse sig and avatar? Kudos for such a great attention seeking thread, your demagogy skills are progressing nicely. You knew pretty much what reaction you would get, and did it any way. All attention is good attention when your young. =D> =D> =D>

If dim yatzee starts one of his threads of the month vote things, I'll be sure to nominate this little discussion. One of the better fishing trips of recent times.
Sergeant 1st Class BoganGod

Postby iAmCaffeine on Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:30 am

Sorry Bogan, not taking the bait. Have a good weekend!
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby BoganGod on Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:16 am

iAmCaffeine wrote:Sorry Bogan, not taking the bait. Have a good weekend!

So you won't comment in detail other than saying "map ugly" :roll:

Postby Qwert on Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:50 pm

DiM wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:Now that this is becoming more relaxed I will be vocal in the map foundry.

excellent news. it's always great to have more people in the foundry, especially if they can offer detailed feedback.

iAmCaffeine wrote:On this occasion, I thought it so bad that I had to at least say something.

a map is started and gets feedback. if there's enough interest it gets moved forward and the gameplay and graphics are refined.
this refinement process is based on feedback from other users. if the map reaches a point where most of those users are pleased with how the map feels and looks then it is stamped and moved forward unless the map is really really ugly, in which case a cartography assistant intervenes and tries to help the map maker improve.

the biggest problem is that the foundry is a rather small community. not a lot of people go there and very few offer good feedback. so sometimes map of poorer quality may surface. the few people interested in them are content and the maps aren't so hideous as to force a CA to step in and take action.

i can't comment on this particular map as i haven't analysed it properly but this is generally how the foundry works.

Its classic Cairnswik style, nothing wrong with this. People create maps voluntarily. and spend so much free time to develops maps here.
Im amater, and i think that Cairnswk are also amater map maker who create over 30 maps here.

Now map maybe not a graphic master peace, but consider that cover quite simple story for 1 vs 1 players, and after what i saw , very long period in Map foundry, apply all unnecessary requirements for Graphic stamp(from map directors and community), i realy dont see where are problem here?

You have many small maps like doodle earth, who have quite simple graphic, and some people like, and some dont.
This its mine neutral observation, because i dont post on this map , but map had for over a year in map foundry, so people had enough time to give hes constructive post.

for example--map whodunnit ...... this guy will going to spend a lot longer, to create decent graphic, because hes story are very complex, and have many things who are not graphical implement , and dont look good. Its a bunch off copy paste small pictures, thrown into map rooms. But like DIM pointed, far before Map foundry was much stronger place, with much large community who participate in map development.
Last edited by Qwert on Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Lord Arioch on Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:54 pm

Well after playing it i still must say i have no beef with the graphics... but hey its kind of no strat...at least on esc trench mode....:)
I get the map and i think it will be useful for new players.... but i also think u should have done the concept bigger like at least 8 player bigger
Any way its a nice job and kudos give and earned!
Major Lord Arioch

Postby BoganGod on Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:08 pm

Damn qwert, understood every word you wrote and you made sense!!!! =D> =D> =D> When are you returning to the world of map making? The site needs you. Forget about the clan scene, make more maps please!

Postby EBConquer on Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:37 am

Caffeine, first time I saw the map I was thinking "cool, new map". I didn't even really think about the graphics until you pointed it out but honestly, I'm not sure I would care enough to bring it up other then it's just another map that captured somebody's heart. :P Sure, there are slight issues w/ the presentation (e.g. bevels, horizontal and vert text alignments, correct pixel aspect ratios, yada yada) but at the end of the day, the normal joe schmoe won't even notice as well as those in the biz who could give a rats ass. with all due respect or course. lol.
Colonel EBConquer

Postby iAmCaffeine on Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:38 am

EBConquer wrote:Caffeine, first time I saw the map I was thinking "cool, new map". I didn't even really think about the graphics until you pointed it out but honestly, I'm not sure I would care enough to bring it up other then it's just another map that captured somebody's heart. :P Sure, there are slight issues w/ the presentation (e.g. bevels, horizontal and vert text alignments, correct pixel aspect ratios, yada yada) but at the end of the day, the normal joe schmoe won't even notice as well as those in the biz who could give a rats ass. with all due respect or course. lol.

I understand where you're coming from with that but considering the quality of maps being released now (conquer rome, temple of jinn etc.) this map sticks out terribly. I would have assumed CC would want higher quality.

@Bogan - Still not taking the bait, sorry. Have a good day!
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby BoganGod on Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:41 am

iAmCaffeine wrote:
EBConquer wrote:Caffeine, first time I saw the map I was thinking "cool, new map". I didn't even really think about the graphics until you pointed it out but honestly, I'm not sure I would care enough to bring it up other then it's just another map that captured somebody's heart. :P Sure, there are slight issues w/ the presentation (e.g. bevels, horizontal and vert text alignments, correct pixel aspect ratios, yada yada) but at the end of the day, the normal joe schmoe won't even notice as well as those in the biz who could give a rats ass. with all due respect or course. lol.

I understand where you're coming from with that but considering the quality of maps being released now (conquer rome, temple of jinn etc.) this map sticks out terribly. I would have assumed CC would want higher quality.

Again mr negative, using your wealth of awesome graphical knowledge educate us, all the time your spending in here slagging off the map. You could be in the foundry preventing this ocular violation ever happening again. Want to by angel feathers? I'm selling them at a good price.

Postby iAmCaffeine on Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:37 am

BoganGod wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:

Again mr negative, using your wealth of awesome graphical knowledge educate us, all the time your spending in here slagging off the map. You could be in the foundry preventing this ocular violation ever happening again. Want to by angel feathers? I'm selling them at a good price.

I have already given reasons about that and have since - gradually - started getting involved in the foundry. It's a shocking map so of course I will slag it off; it seems nobody else has the bollocks to, or they don't care enough. I would have assumed the cartographers would have higher standards. Even if I gave advice about this map now nothing would change.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby BoganGod on Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:44 pm

Well now I can log off CC with a clear mind and happy. Never again, never again on coffeekids watch will sub par graphics ever make the grade. Thank me, jesus, or what ever sky fairy you believe in. Never again will coffeekid need to make a thread to moan and say stinky poo about graphics. He/she/it will be to busy in the foundry slaving away for the enjoyment of us poor visually impaired sub humans that question his self inflated skills.

Thankyou, THANK YOU, Thank You, THANK You, Thank YOU

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:47 pm

BoganGod wrote:Well now I can log off CC with a clear mind and happy. Never again, never again on coffeekids watch will sub par graphics ever make the grade. Thank me, jesus, or what ever sky fairy you believe in. Never again will coffeekid need to make a thread to moan and say stinky poo about graphics. He/she/it will be to busy in the foundry slaving away for the enjoyment of us poor visually impaired sub humans that question his self inflated skills.

Sling me some of your meds please. I could use some more crazies.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Previous

Return to Conquer Club Discussion