Conquer Club

Political Correctness has killed General Discussion

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Political Correctness has killed General Discussion

Postby BoganGod on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:02 am

Has the policy of CC management and volunteers to punish those that say things more harshly, than those that break the rules ruined the tenor of the General Discussion fora?

It seems like every other day a "player"(a use the term loosely) with a funny coloured user name cheats. Maybe cheating is to strong, lets say takes advantage of existing loopholes. Acts completely outside the spirit of robust competition. Strange and frequent coincidences like having games deleted that they were likely to lose points in. Acting like humourless pricks towards paying members, then when called on bad/abusive behaviour suggesting/stating was a joke. Locks threads without owning the lock, or threads are locked with a vague off topic post, then a refusal to provide further information.

Sadly being a mod is a thankless task, so just like politics would appear that on a volunteer run site people become mods for the usual reasons. Power tripping, petty authority, self importance, not capable of playing. I'm not saying all mods and volunteers are venal douchebags. In fact most mods/funny coloured user named people are doing a great job under trying circumstances. Just a significant minority are making all look bad. I'm not naming or calling any individuals on their bad behaviour. As that would just get this discussion shut down using a flimsy flaming excuse. So lets talk in broad terms not specifics please people.

NB
If any fuckhead(would take a fuckhead to lock this) locks this. At least have the decency to be accountable and state clearly A) Who is doing the locking B) Why you are stifling discussion in the discussion fora C) Please give a detailed explanation including specific quoting of rules, and your interpretations of rules, in the hope that we the community may have some consistency in moderating.
Sergeant 1st Class BoganGod

Re: Political Correctness has killed General Discussion

Postby rhp 1 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:14 am

Lieutenant rhp 1

Location: IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING, IT IS BEST TO DO IT....... QUICKLY

Postby BoganGod on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:53 am

rhp 1 wrote:LOCKED

Well at least you signed it..... Now reasoning behind the lock please. Reasons other than vague self loathing, and don't question my or forr a tar!

Postby owenshooter on Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:35 pm

well... in my honest opinion... <Mod Edit>... the black jesus has spoken...-el Jesus negro
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby BoganGod on Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:14 pm

Going to prove my point. Discussion is dead, the inconsistent, corrupt thought police killed it.

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:23 pm

Once Blitz was kicked off the site, the bitchers and whiners won.

"Before Blitzaholic we never had a victory, after Blitzaholic we never suffered a defeat"

He is the Alamein of discussions.
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby owenshooter on Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:48 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:Once Blitz was kicked off the site, the bitchers and whiners won.

this is one of the most absurd things i have ever heard... Blitz was a cheater that did nothing in the forums except update his stats thread, period... Are you going to defend his insane cheating tactics that got him to the top and kept him at the top? if you want to know when the forums died, you have to go back to when Wicked and the thought police took everyone down and started throwing out perma bans like they were candy (blame it on the tick)... let's not forget the removal of Flame Wars for the then anticipated sell to Hasbro (so the rumors went) and the general sanitizing of the forums. That sanitization which involved pretty much any negative comment about the site/admins or anything that questioned them being removed and the poster being banned. this has nothing to do with Cheat-a-holic... look at how many members were treated before the current owner took over. you could receive a lengthy ban for questioning the PRIZES HANDED OUT BY A CC SPONSORED TOURNAMENT!!! yes, a member received a 3 month ban for ridiculing team CC for handing out a 3 month membership vs. a full year membership, like most clan contests do. in my opinion, the fear of a ban in the forums far outweighs the fear of a ban for cheating in the game. hell, a team CC member just got away with cheating at the top of the score board!!! so, to say that blitz was the beginning of this forum sanitization, is the most ridiculous statement, EVER... the black jesus is amused...-el Jesus negro
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:04 pm

I wouldn't defend the tactics... he deserved the 30 day ban for sure.

However, in the C+A thread, there is pages upon pages of baiting, flaming, trolling and gloating - none of which ceased during the ban when Blitz couldn't even defend himself or even after the ban was over.

To say he never contributed to the forum is not correct. He has 23k posts. I run into him in Q+A, in Suggestions, in Mafia, in Forum Games, in OT, in Cartography.

Perhaps it is the wrong time to start the clock. The forum high point was 2008-2009, no doubt. The drop in total forum users didn't start really taking a plunge until April 2011 - that would be the last time there was 2000+ posters in a month (except for one outlier being Nov 2011).

While I agree that you are probably correct in placing the start earlier in a "tone of the website" sense, the stats do actually support my listed date.
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby owenshooter on Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:17 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:I wouldn't defend the tactics... he deserved the 30 day ban for sure.

However, in the C+A thread, there is pages upon pages of baiting, flaming, trolling and gloating - none of which ceased during the ban when Blitz couldn't even defend himself or even after the ban was over.

To say he never contributed to the forum is not correct. He has 23k posts. I run into him in Q+A, in Suggestions, in Mafia, in Forum Games, in OT, in Cartography.

Perhaps it is the wrong time to start the clock. The forum high point was 2008-2009, no doubt. The drop in total forum users didn't start really taking a plunge until April 2011 - that would be the last time there was 2000+ posters in a month (except for one outlier being Nov 2011).

While I agree that you are probably correct in placing the start earlier in a "tone of the website" sense, the stats do actually support my listed date.

to be fair, those are all areas of the forum i do not visit. thus, i stand corrected... however, the decline of the forums had very little to do with Blitz, his C&A thread or his ban... the black jesus has spoken...-el Jesus negro
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby BoganGod on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:21 pm

So the solution is bring back the blitz? dib dib dib, dob dob dob. Wait whilst I adjust my toggle. Cookie anyone? Have given up offering candy, as evidently it is considered creepy.
Should all premium users be allowed to delete at least 5games of their choice per year as part of their membership. Would make for a level playing field. Guess it is unfair to not let mods cheat if everyone else is doing it. Stupefying that is just business as usual.

The God of trailers and mullets is still shocked by black jesus having whole hands.

Postby jdw35 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:28 pm

I think that some mods abuse their power. For example, a ruling was handed down recently where the mod himself admitted that there was not enough evidence to confirm the accusation, but he personally thought something was up so he Blocked players from playing any type of game together.

Then when this mod was contacted about an appeal/change of ruling, no response was given.

I will not name names ;) but I for sure think that there is an abuse of power.

And on the other side of things, I greatly appreciate what the mods do, and the amount of time they put into the site. I know they never get any praise for it, but without them the site would be a mess. So all in all, I am grateful.
Major jdw35

Postby Phatscotty on Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:20 am

BoganGod wrote:...

=D> =D> =D>

Political Correctness has killed General Discussion, Off Topics....Political Correctness has killed EVERYTHING!

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=101980&hilit=HASSAN
Major Phatscotty

Postby BoganGod on Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:14 pm

Love it scotty. Phat sound, not nearly as whiny as that poor swimming buckley chappie.

Jdw I hear ya. I find it frustrating when someone locks a thread, doesn't own their lock. Then when finally admitting to locking thread will not over an explanation, let alone something approaching a justification for a knee jerk reaction made from personal animus.

Postby owenshooter on Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:14 pm

BoganGod wrote:Love it scotty. Phat sound, not nearly as whiny as that poor swimming buckley chappie.

wait... is this the first time you have heard the original version of that song? dear lord, where have you been?!!! and in mr. buckley's defense, Mr. Cohen has stated multiple times that what Buckley did is what he heard in his head, but he could never do it... now, back to the discussion at hand... the black jesus has defended Jeff Buckley...-el Jesus negro
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby deathcomesrippin on Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:45 am

I didn't know I had the ability to delete losing games.

No one told me about this mod perk.
Sergeant deathcomesrippin

Postby JBlombier on Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:05 pm

Yes, you have, deathcomesrippin! I'm glad that my friend sniffie (Multi-hunter) doesn't use it, but it has been used in the past. That's all over and done with, fortunately.

I think the tenor of GD has had a slight decrease, but not as much as the OP suggests. Mods will always do their jobs in their own voluntary ways. They're entitled to it, because we (the community) only come here to play and profit from the organized forum, while they play and make an effort keeping the forum organized. That is indeed a task that is without praise.

Eventhough there will be topics we'd like to have another say at, but they're blocked by some mod we don't even want to understand, there are always other topics we can make or are already present. Perhaps it is the task of the GD people to make sure that whatever we have to say is within boundaries. Newbies are browsing this forum also to see what CC has to offer. If they see a bunch of assholes flaming each other or some guys having a discussion that belongs in OT, I can relate to the fact they won't post on the forum.

That brings us to the first and foremost question: do we want new users to post?
My answer (and probably all of yours) is: of course we do!

If we want that to happen we need some 'police' (voluntary mods) to show us what we can and can not do. We're all talking about 'the old days', but right now we are entitled to phrase our opinions far more than we used to. If you can't see that, you haven't been paying attention in the past half decennium. Since Flame Wars is gone, people have felt the need to flame, but they can't do it on our forum. Guess what, there are plenty of flame forums on the internet, have your go there. On CC, we want a community that can talk about the game, talk about the forum and about real life, but... the only thing prohibited is flaming each other.

I think our mods are doing a wonderful job keeping this forum clean. What we do with it, is the task of the posters, not the mods. The mods put enough time in keeping our shit together.

- JB
Major JBlombier

Postby owenshooter on Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:12 pm

JBlombier wrote:On CC, we want a community that can talk about the game, talk about the forum and about real life, but... the only thing prohibited is flaming each other.

yeah... that and criticizing anything that CC does... don't forget that one... that can still earn you a nice ban... the black jesus has spoken the truth...-el Jesus negro
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby BoganGod on Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:08 pm

owenshooter wrote:
JBlombier wrote:On CC, we want a community that can talk about the game, talk about the forum and about real life, but... the only thing prohibited is flaming each other.

yeah... that and criticizing anything that CC does... don't forget that one... that can still earn you a nice ban... the black jesus has spoken the truth...-el Jesus negro

@JBlombier - Thank you for taking the time to contribute to this discussion. I agree with a lot of what you wrote. I do insist that a few "bad eggs"/"bad apples"/"bent pennies" are spoiling the image of mods, and the trust and/or respect that mods should engender. Regardless of your feelings towards gweeedo, I like seeing a new player getting in there and having a go in the fora. I have made a lot of friends on this site, mainly down to game chat and the fora. Those that play together stay together. I don't keep on returning because of the game play, the dice, or the <coughs> amazing graphics and interface. I come back, and pay to be here, for the people. The people that increasingly discuss not playing anymore. Why play on a site where thought crimes(being judged on what the mod thinks your thinking, rather than what you acutely said), and what you say are more harshly punished than cheating, abusing your power, or gross abuse of the game.

@the fake black jesus(do something about the non perforated hands already) - Couldn't agree more. Mention repeatedly the breaking of add ons. Mainly because they repeatedly broke add ons. Get a vacation. The justification? Me using the word rape........ A word that any person with adequate english skills would know does not have purely sexual connotations. Have included below RAPE as found in both an american and an english dictionary. No mistake there, only a delibrately obtuse and thin skinned person grasping at straws would have had the audacity to suggest I meant that blake sexually violated this site(something with my current knowledge of electricity that I would pay money to see). Owen, was not the first time I heard the original. Was commenting on how much I enjoyed listening to it, apt post from scotty. If buckley was alive, would be as lame as buble......

@DCR - I don't believe it is a mod power available to all. You first need to badger admin incessantly, preferably have an inside track to them(like being a mod......). Do this enough that they will acquiesce to your wish to get you to shut up. Then deny that you pushed for the games to be deleted. State loudly and frequently that admin's decisions are never influenced by petitions from mods.....

Rape
1. The crime of forcing another person to submit to sex acts, especially sexual intercourse.
2. The act of seizing and carrying off by force; abduction.
3. Abusive or improper treatment; violation: a rape of justice.
tr.v. raped, rap·ing, rapes
1. To force (another person) to submit to sex acts, especially sexual intercourse; commit rape on.
2. To seize and carry off by force.
3. To plunder or pillage.
[Middle English, from rapen, to rape, from Old French raper, to abduct, from Latin rapere, to seize; see rep- in Indo-European roots.]
rap′er n.
Rape 2 (rāp)
n.
A European plant (Brassica napus) of the mustard family, cultivated as fodder and for its seed that yields a valuable oil. Also called colza, oil-seed rape.
[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin rāpa, pl. of rāpum, turnip.]

Rape 3 (rāp)
n.
The refuse of grapes left after the extraction of the juice in winemaking.
[French râpe, grape stalk, from Old French, from rasper, to scrape; see rasp.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Rape (reɪp)
n
1. (Law) the offence of forcing a person, esp a woman, to submit to sexual intercourse against that person's will. See also statutory rape
2. the act of despoiling a country in warfare; rapine
3. any violation or abuse: the rape of justice.
4. abduction: the rape of the Sabine women.
vb (mainly tr)
5. (Law) to commit rape upon (a person)
6. (also intr) to plunder or despoil (a place) in war
7. to carry off by force; abduct
[C14: from Latin rapere to seize]
rape (reɪp)
n
1. (Plants) a Eurasian plant, Brassica napus, that has bright yellow flowers and is cultivated for its seeds, which yield a useful oil, and as a fodder plant: family Brassicaceae (crucifers). Also called: colza or cole
[C14: from Latin rāpum turnip]
rape (reɪp)
n
1. (Brewing) (often plural) the skins and stalks of grapes left after wine-making: used in making vinegar
[C17: from French râpe, of Germanic origin; compare Old High German raspōn to scrape together]

Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

Uncle Bogan, educating the unwashed and toothless since the first bogan gimp walked out of the local unemployment office into a comfy mobile home with no wheels, and a swimming pool deck.

Return to Conquer Club Discussion