Conquer Club

Jig's Fantasy Draft Event (Looking for GMs)

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Jig's Fantasy Draft Event (Prizes Announced!!)

Postby sparkyball on Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:54 am

I'm in sounds interesting
Lieutenant sparkyball

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:14 pm

I'm in.
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby prismsaber on Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:26 am

I've read through the thread and find this event to be really confusing but also intriguing.

I'd like to add some ideas regarding the format of the event that I think would be good for discussion.

An idea would be to decide matches with a total winning % of a teams players in a given 2 or 3 week period. No carrying over a player's games from match to match or "period to period." If a player starts 3 games in that given 2 week period, all 3 games will count towards the total winning % of that period, or "match." If that same player starts a 4th game on day 15, that game counts towards an entirely new match. This would keep the draft event moving along but there would obviously be a lag towards updating the standings.

This suggestion would work better if fantasy teams were larger than 5. I'm thinking at least 10. This is because in a short 2 week time period clans may not start any new games. With more players on a team, you ensure a greater sample size.

An example of this idea in action...
from May 1 through May 14, GM Prismsaber is playing against GM Jigger1896. GM Prismsaber has players 1-10, GM Jigger has players 11-20.
Player 1 goes 3-2
Player 2 goes 1-0
Player 3 goes 6-0
Player 4 goes 2-4
player 5 goes 1-2
Player 6 has real life stuff going on, goes 0-0
Player 7 goes 4-0
Player 8 goes 0-1
Player 9 goes 1-2
Player 10's clan does not happen to start any matches in this 2 week periods, so he is 0-0.
GM Prismsaber's team has a record of 18 wins, 11 losses with a winning ratio of 62%.
GM Jigger1896 's team has a record of 10-11 (much less active for some reason) for a winning ratio of 48%.
62% is greater than 48%, so GM Prismsaber is now 1-0 on the season and GM Jigger1896 is 0-1.
New matches start May 15.

Another thing to note is that a head-to-head playoff format would take forever in my proposed idea, given that quad matches can take up to 2 months to complete sometimes. With 3 rounds of playoffs that could be a 6 month playoff! Therefore, I think it would be better to just crown the top 3 based on regular season standings, or maybe just have the top 2 play a "championship." This would conceivably keep the tournament moving fast enough to make it an annual event (if you so desire).

I'd also propose no salary cap. With the larger teams, we will need the greater flexibility and I think the salary cap makes things more complicated for the "owners" and for the tournament organizer. If owners only draft players according to score, then they are in for a rude awakening because there are several dynamics at play in any given match (who is the opponent? does your drafted player only play in specialized maps/settings in the clan setting, therefore raising their win% relative to their rank?).

adds/drops would be based on a first-come, first-serve basis after publicly posting in the official thread.

I don't mean to hijack your idea, I just like the concept and want to throw in some thoughts that might make it run smoother.

Whatever you decide, I'm in.
Colonel prismsaber

Postby jigger1986 on Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:51 pm

prismsaber,

First off, thanks for showing interest in the event. I appreciate you taking the time to read the entire thing and offer suggestions.

I dont like the idea of raising the amount of players on a team, with a projected 32 GMs that would take 320 players.While CC is not lacking in talented players it would make the draft so much more difficult (as well as add so much more stats collection by me)

Changing the format to the set time frame would also add a fair amount of work, having to check when games start and end, rather than just "Game Finder" + players name. I also think this idea could make it so a single player contributes too much to each win or loss. The system I have set up is slower, but more balanced.

Another issue would be that in the regular season the GMs are not going head-to-head, more like its their players against a random opponent. Adding in a pre-set number as I did (in the case of this event 60%) makes it so I dont have to create a schedule for matches.
I will not comment on the dropping of the playoffs,salary cap and award structure, changing any of those just changes the event all together.

Again I really do appreciate the suggestions I just think that overall the ideas you propose would change the event too much. Since this is the 1st time this kind of thing has ever been done (that I know of) I want to keep it small and simple (5 player team, preset %s, and a bracket)

With that being said, you are still in right?
Sergeant 1st Class jigger1986

Postby Kingm on Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:17 am

Sounds like fun, In please..
Highscore : 4349 Date : 17.6.12
Colonel Kingm

Postby jigger1986 on Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:29 am

Thanks for the support and signups guys (and girls)
The event will now be switching to the Dispatch with this being the first article.

Postby owenshooter on Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:00 pm

jigger1986 wrote:Thanks for the support and signups guys (and girls)
The event will now be switching to the Dispatch with this being the first article.

awww, going to miss this sticky... good luck!!! the black jesus has spoken...-el Jesus negro
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby jigger1986 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:58 pm

Thanks BJ

Postby hopalong on Mon May 05, 2014 2:10 pm

I would be interested in being a GM. I sued to be in FOEDD, not currently in a clan, though might join one in a few months.

Great initiative - i hope you dont lose your mind tracking all this!!!
Major hopalong

Postby agentcom on Mon May 05, 2014 7:29 pm

Jigger, just saw your event posted in the Newsletter. I am not looking to be a GM, but I have a couple thoughts for you. First of all, I should say sorry if this has been covered in the 4 pages of this thread, but since I'm not actually participating, I'm going to cop out with a TL; DR. However, I did read through the instructions in the Dispatch.

In a serpentine draft, giving yourself the last pick is actually a pretty good draw for you. I would suggest randomizing the starting draft order rather than giving yourself the last pick (and, consequently, the first pick in all even numbered rounds). If you think that some people will have a problem with you randomizing the order, then ask one of the Clan Mods to do it after sign-ups are complete.

Is the salary cap the combined score of all players on a team? If so, perhaps you meant to write 11,000 not 1100. If not, then I don't think the OP is clear on what this actually means.

Looks like a really cool, unique event. Good luck with it.
Colonel agentcom

Postby jigger1986 on Mon May 05, 2014 8:26 pm

agentcom,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Can I ask what "I'm going to cop out with a TL; DR" means?
I like the idea of a randomized draft I will likely ask one of the mods (Dukasaur) to do the randomizing, the only reason I said I would go last is because I really want to be a GM, but I understand that some people may think I have an unfair advantage (although that is not the case)

Yes the salary cap is supposed to be 11000, not 1100

Thanks again,

-jig

Postby Leehar on Sun May 11, 2014 12:32 pm

jigger1986 wrote:Can I ask what "I'm going to cop out with a TL; DR" means?

Too Long, Didn't Read :)

I'll admit to the same for this thread, and did read the the newsletter article, but unlike agent, I will join up as a GM :)

Would you like to create a shadow topic for this in the Clan section, to perhaps broaden the visibility?
Maybe if you want us to just sticky the newsletter article there, to get some interest for those that haven't seen the event yet.

As long as it's simple to join up and participate, I'm sure you can get some more GM's
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby jigger1986 on Sun May 11, 2014 2:58 pm

Thanks great, thanks Leehar.

It is very long I agree, but there is a lot of information. Overall I see the time commitment of the average GM being very small (like 5-10 minutes every two weeks)

There is a thread in the Clan Section that links to think one, I didnt go any further that that.
If you would sticky the article that would be great.

Postby owenshooter on Wed May 14, 2014 1:05 pm

jigger1986 wrote:If you would sticky the article that would be great.

do we really need to sticky something that is going to involve 13-14 CC members? getting a bit self important aren't we? the black jesus has rolled his eyes... AGAIN...-el Jesus negro
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
Lieutenant owenshooter

Re: Jig's Fantasy Draft Event (Looking for GMs)

Postby TX AG 90 on Tue May 20, 2014 10:30 am

In Please
Private TX AG 90

Postby jigger1986 on Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:11 pm

Well I think Owen has won here.....

No interest in the event (well not enough)

Many thanks to those who helped, showed support, asked questions and signed up but I think its time to hang this one out to dry.

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:03 pm

Jigger, thank you for trying. It seemed like an excellent event.
:(
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby agentcom on Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:42 pm

Leehar wrote:
... but unlike agent, I will join up as a GM :)

Way to be a one-upper :D

jigger1986 wrote:Well I think Owen has won here.....

Many thanks to those who helped, showed support, asked questions and signed up but I think its time to hang this one out to dry.

That's too bad ... any chance it could be run with fewer GMs? It might be smart to do a smaller league at first anyway, just to work out the kinks. Then you could start again or simply put in place some expansion rules for GMs that want to join later. (Kind of like the expansion rules for professional sports leagues.)
Colonel agentcom

Postby owenshooter on Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:24 pm

jigger1986 wrote:Well I think Owen has won here.....

i didn't win, we all lost...-el Jesus negro
Lieutenant owenshooter

Previous

Return to Conquer Club Discussion