Conquer Club

Jig's Fantasy Draft Event (Looking for GMs)

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Jig's Fantasy Draft Event (Looking for GMs)

Postby jigger1986 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:47 pm

Greetings all members of CC

I am looking to run an event (similar to a fantasy league) to give back go the site and community that Ive been a member of for over 3 years.
This event is intended to last a long time and to be run through the CC Dispatch (If I can get the go-ahead from CC)
This event will consist of a player draft, regular season and bracketed playoff (inspired by March Madness)

Ive always loved the idea of having a player draft, I played in a tournament a couple years ago called in the "Interclangalactic Something" and I loved it. I know the idea of a player draft has been tossed around many times and never come to fruition , but I feel I have a decent format. (smaller teams of 5) The best part...the event will be run passively, that is to say that players will be scored based on clan games they are already playing. The second best part....there will be prizes ( 1 year premium gifts, provided by me. There may also be other awards, GA medals etc...if I can get the go-ahead from CC of course)

show: The Basic Idea

show: The Draft

show: Eligable GMs

show: Eligible Players

show: How A Game Works

show: How the Team Works

show: How the Playoffs Work

The Prizes THESE HAVE ALL BEEN APPROVED BY CC

Conquer Credits and Premium Prizes
2500 Conquer Credits (1 year premium) to the winning GM
1 year premium prize to the runner-up winning GM
500 Conquer Credits to the 3rd place GM (yes there will be a "bronze medal series")

Medals
1 Challenge medal to the winning GM
1 GA Medal to the GM with the best record in the "regular season"
1 GA Medal to each of the four semi-finalist GMs

Inventory Stars
1 yellow star to the winning GM
1 pink star to each the 2nd and 3rd place GMs
1 orange star to each of the 4th-8th place GMs
2 cyan stars to the GM with the 2nd best record in the regular season
1 cyan star to the GM with the 3rd best record in the regular season
1 orange star to the GM with the 4th best record in the regular season
1 silver medal to each GM

So if that was too confusing here it is another way...

Winning GM-2500 Conquer Credits, Challenge Medal, GA Medal, Yellow Star, Silver Star
Runner Up GM-1 year premium, GA Medal, Pink Star, Orange Starx2, Silver Star
3rd Place GM-500 Conquer Credits, GA Medal, Pink Star, Silver Star
4th Place GM-GA Medal, Orange Star, Silver Star
5th-8th Place GMs-Orange Star, Silver Star
Best Regular Season Record-GA Medal
2nd Best Regular Season Record-Cyan Star x2
3rd Best Regular Season Record-Cyan Star
4th Best Regular Season Record-Orange Star
All others GMs who havent won anything else-Silver Star
=================================================================

Confirmed Registered GMs
1.sempiaspellcheck
2.benga
3.mcshanester29
4.Donelladan
5.loutil
6.GioDuce
7.MudPuppy
8.slickstick
9.sparkyball
10.DoomYoshi
11.prismsaber
12.Kingm
13.hopalong
14.Leehar

Pending GMs
1.jigger1986 (assuming nobody protests :D )

==================================================================

Im really hoping to get some support for this event, I think it could be alot of fun as well as bring some more traffic to the CC Dispatch

If there are any questions (and I am expecting many) please post this in the thread or send me a PM
If anyone is interested in being a GM for this event please do the same.

Thanks for the help in making this event possible,

-jigger1896
Last edited by jigger1986 on Fri May 16, 2014 9:55 pm, edited 23 times in total.
Sergeant 1st Class jigger1986

Re: Jig's Draft Event (Prizes Available)

Postby TeeGee on Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:23 pm

Hi jigger1896

I have stickied this so it stays at the top of the forum.
Send me a PM into what sort of prizes you are thinking of
Kotaro wrote:TG for site owner 2020
Field Marshal TeeGee

Location: Traversing the Multiverse, looking for a Yak with 3 ears

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:32 pm

I draft benga.
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby loutil on Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:44 pm

If you end up with 64 GM's with 5 player teams there is no way a list of 30 from each will suffice as there will be significant overlap on lists of the top players. Your best option, in my opinion, is to have a five round draft with each GM submitting a list equal to the number of GM's. Example: 64 GM's requires each to submit 64 names for round 1. This will allow the round to be completed without any additional work. Then do round 2 the same with a new list of 64 non chosen players. Doing it your way will likely result in list after list after list and a lot of work...
Conqueror loutil
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby jigger1986 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:59 pm

loutil wrote:If you end up with 64 GM's with 5 player teams there is no way a list of 30 from each will suffice as there will be significant overlap on lists of the top players. Your best option, in my opinion, is to have a five round draft with each GM submitting a list equal to the number of GM's. Example: 64 GM's requires each to submit 64 names for round 1. This will allow the round to be completed without any additional work. Then do round 2 the same with a new list of 64 non chosen players. Doing it your way will likely result in list after list after list and a lot of work...

You make a good point.
I struggled with the best way to do the draft, I know the overlap is going to be huge. To be honest after half and hour of thought I just went with it bc I was tired of thinking. I thought that given the salary cap only allowing for an average score of 2300 that I might get away with it...

Thanks for the idea, I will be using it (or some variation of it)

Postby Armandolas on Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:37 am

Looks nice mate
Im just wondering. I can create a list, but ill never know if the players on my list wants to play this tournament.(unless i go ask 1 by 1)
Did u ever considered that "players"(not gm) should also enroll as "player"?
Colonel Armandolas

Postby jigger1986 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:25 am

Armandolas wrote:Looks nice mate
Im just wondering. I can create a list, but ill never know if the players on my list wants to play this tournament.(unless i go ask 1 by 1)
Did u ever considered that "players"(not gm) should also enroll as "player"?

Thanks Armandolas,

The "players" really have no say as there is no additional games. The only games a player might be in are just the regular CC clan regulated games they would be in for their respective clans. In many cases the "player" wont even know he/she is playing, only the GM. This is the reason for the rule to be in at least 1 active game per month. I would assume that most players in a clan would be actively seeking games against other clans, in CL, or in any of the numerous other CC regulated challenges and with over 40 clans there will always be active players.

Does that make sense? I am terrible at putting thoughts in writing.

Postby owenshooter on Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:17 pm

why is this in the GD? this should be in tournaments. it seems like a tournament. or, since you said you are looking to run it through the dispatch, how about throwing it up in there and not in here? it obviously does not belong in the GD and TEAM CC should reconsider having this sticked at the top of the GD for in excess of a year. this in now is part of the GD or representative of the GD community. Please move this thread, it does not belong here. in before the move... the black jesus is tired of the GD being the dumping ground for all things that need attention by CC...-el Jesus negro

p.s.-even better, it hasn't even been ironed out yet and the guy running it doesn't seem to have answers to the first few questions? why are we putting something at the top of an unrelated forum and all the details aren't even worked out yet? this is going to be nightmare... what is the over/under on it being abandoned? have the prizes even been announced? seems like a half baked idea that team CC jumped to get behind before the thing is even worked out... this thing is going to be a logistical nightmare and he doesn't even know how it is going to be done.. but hey, lets sticky it on the top of the GD!!!
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby TeeGee on Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:04 pm

owenshooter wrote:why is this in the GD? this should be in tournaments. it seems like a tournament. or, since you said you are looking to run it through the dispatch, how about throwing it up in there and not in here? it obviously does not belong in the GD and TEAM CC should reconsider having this sticked at the top of the GD for in excess of a year. this in now is part of the GD or representative of the GD community. Please move this thread, it does not belong here. in before the move... the black jesus is tired of the GD being the dumping ground for all things that need attention by CC...-el Jesus negro

p.s.-even better, it hasn't even been ironed out yet and the guy running it doesn't seem to have answers to the first few questions? why are we putting something at the top of an unrelated forum and all the details aren't even worked out yet? this is going to be nightmare... what is the over/under on it being abandoned? have the prizes even been announced? seems like a half baked idea that team CC jumped to get behind before the thing is even worked out... this thing is going to be a logistical nightmare and he doesn't even know how it is going to be done.. but hey, lets sticky it on the top of the GD!!!

Hey owen

Thanks for your concerns here. It can't go in tournaments yet as it is discussing a possible tournament. Nothing is set in concrete so it doesn't belong in tournaments. It belongs here purely because it is a discussion.
It will not be stickied for a year or more either, 3 or 4 weeks maybe, so everyone can have a chance to see it. If it is abandoned, then has it really hurt anyone? It wouldn't be the first sticky to get abandoned and it won't be the last.
Kotaro wrote:TG for site owner 2020
Field Marshal TeeGee

Location: Traversing the Multiverse, looking for a Yak with 3 ears

Postby owenshooter on Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:08 pm

TeeGee wrote:
owenshooter wrote:why is this in the GD? this should be in tournaments. it seems like a tournament. or, since you said you are looking to run it through the dispatch, how about throwing it up in there and not in here? it obviously does not belong in the GD and TEAM CC should reconsider having this sticked at the top of the GD for in excess of a year. this in now is part of the GD or representative of the GD community. Please move this thread, it does not belong here. in before the move... the black jesus is tired of the GD being the dumping ground for all things that need attention by CC...-el Jesus negro

Hey owen

Thanks for your concerns here. It can't go in tournaments yet as it is discussing a possible tournament. Nothing is set in concrete so it doesn't belong in tournaments. It belongs here purely because it is a discussion.
It will not be stickied for a year or more either, 3 or 4 weeks maybe, so everyone can have a chance to see it. If it is abandoned, then has it really hurt anyone? It wouldn't be the first sticky to get abandoned and it won't be the last.

seems to me like he is trying to get it attached to the newsletter, why not put it there? just doesn't seem to belong here in the GD... if there is no harm, then when the Bandits run our next prize contest, may i run a thread in a segment of the forum that has nothing to do with it...? liiiike, the foundry? yeah, that would go over really well... anyway, seems like it doesn't belong here, but that is your call, not mine... good luck with this, the wheels seem to already be falling off... big love from the black jesus..-el Jesus negro
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby jigger1986 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:47 pm

Dear Owen,

MOD EDIT by TeeGee

Just to address some of the concerns you raised, (apparently something Ive failed to do in the long 25 hour history of this thread :roll: )

I get that all the details are not there yet, it is something I am working on. The major issue is the draft, youll notice that I just edited the heading "Draft" until the details have been decided on. There are systems that will work, but I am just figuring out which one will work best for this event.

CC hasnt "jumped" behind the idea yet. Ive had a messages from Dukasaur (Dispatch Exec) who confirmed the concept will work within the newsletter and received one PM response from bigWham, saying he liked the idea. Other than that TeeGee is the only other person who as been involved in any way, stickying the thread, not bc CC has jumped on a dead horse but likely bc he/she is a volunteer who believes this is a decent idea made by a legitimate CC player and they want to help get the information to the players.

Prizes-they have not been announced officially, true. However In my original post I did mention that I would be offering at least two 1 year premium prizes and that CC MIGHT offer something (I asked them and have yet to hear back, considering it was less than 24 hours ago I cant really see this being an issue)

Two questions/concerns have been brought up thus far...

The 1st by loutil (which I addressed and agreed a better system will be created)
You make a good point.
I struggled with the best way to do the draft, I know the overlap is going to be huge. To be honest after half and hour of thought I just went with it bc I was tired of thinking. I thought that given the salary cap only allowing for an average score of 2300 that I might get away with it...

Thanks for the idea, I will be using it (or some variation of it)

The 2nd by Armandolas (again which I addressed)
Thanks Armandolas,

The "players" really have no say as there is no additional games. The only games a player might be in are just the regular CC clan regulated games they would be in for their respective clans. In many cases the "player" wont even know he/she is playing, only the GM. This is the reason for the rule to be in at least 1 active game per month. I would assume that most players in a clan would be actively seeking games against other clans, in CL, or in any of the numerous other CC regulated challenges and with over 40 clans there will always be active players.

So why say I have no answers to the questions Ive been asked?

Here is the bottom line...

I put this thread in GD for a couple reasons.

1.It is NOT a tournament. CC tournaments have games created by a tournament organizer and are regulated by CC
2.It is NOT a part of the CC Dispach (yet) and I am not a volunteer of the newsletter. Furthermore, even if I was not enough people are looking in those forums
3. I was looking to spark a discussion (hence General Discussion) regarding the events feasibility and to see what support I can get (to make sure it was worth me offering $50 in prizes)
4.I dont expect this is last in GD for long anyway, it was placed here simply bc this forum has the most traffic.

Check the stats BJ...12,000+ games completed, 100% attendance, 140+ medals, member since 2009. Do you REALLY think Im not committed to finishing this?

In conclusion...

If you dont like the idea or the placement just dont come here and dont participate. I would really appreciate you not coming to my thread anymore.

Many thanks,

-jig

Postby loutil on Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:54 pm

Nobody is being forced to read this :shock: :shock: :shock:
Conqueror loutil
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby owenshooter on Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:30 pm

loutil wrote:Nobody is being forced to read this :shock: :shock: :shock:

but we are... it is stickied...

jigger1986 wrote:Dear Owen,

MOD EDIT by TeeGee

Many thanks,

-jig

just the kind of guy we need running this thing!!! ha!!! i hope i get this in a PM from the great pig in the sky!!! the black jesus is amused...-el Jesus negro
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:52 am

owenshooter wrote:
loutil wrote:Nobody is being forced to read this :shock: :shock: :shock:

but we are... it is stickied...

jigger1986 wrote:Dear Owen,

MOD EDIT by TeeGee

Many thanks,

-jig

just the kind of guy we need running this thing!!! ha!!! i hope i get this in a PM from the great pig in the sky!!! the black jesus is amused...-el Jesus negro

Here's my solution:

Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby benga on Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:42 am

why not instead of CC score you use rule, pick 10 players from 10 clans, CC score varies a lot
Sergeant benga

Postby jigger1986 on Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:44 pm

So just to address some of the issues brought up (mostly the draft thing)

I appreciate the suggestions and support for this event so far, I will say again that I am committed to making this event work and am excited to get things going.

What I was thinking is that if the salary cap was lowered and maybe the number of GMs was lowered (if there isnt a lot of interest) as well it would help to solve the issue with GMs all drafting the top players.

I like the idea of having to pick players from different clans (and maybe even that none can be from your own clan) but I would like to keep the CC score rule. The reason for this being that having a great playing with a low score (for example gcwca_4_life comes to mind bc Ive played him/her recently) its like a wild-card and also it gives more incentive for GMs to put more thought into their "teams." Also with me checking the cap every 2 weeks and CC score fluctuating it will force GMs to pick up free agents more frequently. (I cant image a player intentionally keeping their score low intentionally for this event, as most wont even know they are "playing"

If the salary cap was lowered to 11000, changing the average score per player of 2100.

I am aware that this method will take a lot "paperwork" on my end but Im good with that. I was thinking that to solve the problem of GMs selecting the top players I would message 5 GMs at a time asking them to list 5 players. I will keep a list of "drafted" players in the message to ensure players are not drafted more than once. It may take a bit longer but it will make things easier for the GMs and the draft in general.

So what do you guys think?

Postby loutil on Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:26 pm

Basically, you have created fantasy CC. Given that the GM's are not actually playing games how are you going to get CC to award medals?
Conqueror loutil
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby jigger1986 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:41 pm

loutil wrote:Basically, you have created fantasy CC. Given that the GM's are not actually playing games how are you going to get CC to award medals?

Yes, Gms pick a fantasy team. My hope is that the GMs will have to drop/pick up new players often (to keep ppl engaged)
I have not gotten any solid rewards guaranteed by CC yet, TeeGee has asked for my request but I am waiting to get some more details hammered out before I talk to the powers regarding additional prizes. As of now the only guarantee is a 1 year premium prize (likely to be matched by CC) with a possible additional reward of inventory items and/or medals. In the past CC has offered GA medals for contests (spot the difference, or find the Gilligans etc) so Im hoping they will offer some for this event as well.

Postby sempaispellcheck on Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:42 pm

loutil wrote:Basically, you have created fantasy CC.

Something I've been trying to figure out how to do for months. Glad someone was able to figure it out.
I'll sign up as a GM, please.

sempai
High score: 2200 - July 20, 2015
Game 13890915 - in which I helped clinch the NC4 title for LHDD

Lieutenant sempaispellcheck

Location: Among the clouds and the skyscrapers, saving the world.

Postby loutil on Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:52 pm

jigger1986 wrote:
loutil wrote:Basically, you have created fantasy CC. Given that the GM's are not actually playing games how are you going to get CC to award medals?

Yes, Gms pick a fantasy team. My hope is that the GMs will have to drop/pick up new players often (to keep ppl engaged)
I have not gotten any solid rewards guaranteed by CC yet, TeeGee has asked for my request but I am waiting to get some more details hammered out before I talk to the powers regarding additional prizes. As of now the only guarantee is a 1 year premium prize (likely to be matched by CC) with a possible additional reward of inventory items and/or medals. In the past CC has offered GA medals for contests (spot the difference, or find the Gilligans etc) so Im hoping they will offer some for this event as well.

The one year premium offer has no meaning for me. However, if you can get some medals added to the prize list then count me in :). I actually like the idea of a point system/salary cap as it will create more strategy. You could even force moves by not allowing teams to go over the cap as their players potentially rise in score each week.
Conqueror loutil
Team Leader
Team Leader

Re: Jig's PIPE DREAM Event (Prizes Available)

Postby owenshooter on Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:45 pm

sempaispellcheck wrote:
loutil wrote:Basically, you have created fantasy CC.

Something I've been trying to figure out how to do for months. Glad someone was able to figure it out.
I'll sign up as a GM, please.

sempai

well, it is still being figured out... so, maybe you should give him some input on what you have worked out thus far... just seems over complicated and that with the length of games on here at times, that it could last well over a year... so, i'm still a pessimist... the black jesus is not a believer...-el Jesus negro
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby WILLIAMS5232 on Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:52 am

i think the fewer number of GM's you enroll, the better chance of success this will be. 64 seems like an awful lot of things to keep up with, and problems that will come up. i'd say the first go should be like a small version or "test". (like 6-12 GM''s) that way it's easier to iron out the kinks and less people will be affected if it does end up to be abandoned. you could think of it as a trial version. if it is a huge success, when you start up the next season you will have a bunch of the problems out of the way. and you will also know how big it needs to be in order to get the maximum enjoyment out of it.

i will think about becoming a GM if i see the first year to be a success. but i hate to get involved in something that could possibly fall apart midway through. the interest level is like a bell curve. once started the more the general interest starts to drop, the faster it drops. that's how things fail.

overall, i like the idea. rodian had a tournament a while back that went south. it was like a draft but it had actual games with it.
before the games started the draft was very long and drawn out. maybe you could check out the thread and kind of see what that was like.

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143133
Major WILLIAMS5232

Postby jigger1986 on Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:19 pm

owenshooter wrote:well, it is still being figured out... so, maybe you should give him some input on what you have worked out thus far... just seems over complicated and that with the length of games on here at times, that it could last well over a year... so, i'm still a pessimist... the black jesus is not a believer...-el Jesus negro

Well pessimist is better than your last reply so I guess we are moving in the right direction, thanks BJ.

Williams,

Thanks for the tips, I am thinking that keeping the GM count low (maybe 16) would be good as a test.
I do remember Rodions attempt it was a lot different as this event is run passively (with no additional games)
The difference is in the way I plan on doing the draft. I know it wont be drawn out so long and Im hoping that the GMs that sign up will be as committed as I am to the event.

Postby benga on Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:18 am

count me in
Sergeant benga

Postby jigger1986 on Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:56 am

great
benga wrote:count me in

Great!

Ive had a chat with some CC reps, there should be a prize announcement in the thread within the week.
Thanks guys for the support

Next

Return to Conquer Club Discussion