Conquer Club

What's the chance of CC surviving for 5 more years?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

What's the likelihood that CC will stay in business for the next five years?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:24 am

Total votes : 0

Re: What's the chance of CC surviving for 5 more years?

Postby Gillipig on Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:49 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:
Serbia wrote:Thinking that you can invite some old, previously banned members back to the site and return it to the "glory years" is ridiculous. It ain't happening. You can't manufacture something that just isn't present anymore. The site has changed, and I don't know that it's possible to recreate the old days. Really, I think it's silly to try. Don't live in the past; look to the future. And good luck with all that.

Bollocks.

The early CC community was very much a product of its time. Reddit and Facebook and Youtube were just starting to be adopted social community spaces and other social community spaces ( Tumblr, Twitter, Instagram, Steam, etc) were further on the horizon. I think based on anecdotal reports, forum communities across the web have dwindled in numbers -- even as more and more people are moving online, their interaction and drive is further pushed outside of the traditional model of forum communities that have been around since the 80's.

Your essay is a bit short and you haven't quoted your sources so I'm gonna have to give you a B- on this one Andy.

/ Professor Gillipig
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Lord Arioch on Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:00 pm

HArsh man harsh:)
Major Lord Arioch

Postby kalishnikov on Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:19 am

AndyDufresne wrote:
Serbia wrote:Thinking that you can invite some old, previously banned members back to the site and return it to the "glory years" is ridiculous. It ain't happening. You can't manufacture something that just isn't present anymore. The site has changed, and I don't know that it's possible to recreate the old days. Really, I think it's silly to try. Don't live in the past; look to the future. And good luck with all that.

Bollocks.

The early CC community was very much a product of its time. Reddit and Facebook and Youtube were just starting to be adopted social community spaces and other social community spaces ( Tumblr, Twitter, Instagram, Steam, etc) were further on the horizon. I think based on anecdotal reports, forum communities across the web have dwindled in numbers -- even as more and more people are moving online, their interaction and drive is further pushed outside of the traditional model of forum communities that have been around since the 80's.

--Andy

Both these posts are spot-on and Andy's statement is something that tons of sites are struggling with at the moment (even Facebook and the like have been declining as people seek more niche communities or at least ones with more specialized content sections).

And that's not even getting onto the fact that the popularity of these in-browser gamesites has taken a sharp nosedive over the same time frame due to the crazy popularity of video games these days. When I signed up here and got hooked I though "I want to play some digital Risk, guess I'll Google it" and I found CC; these days if someone thinks the same they go to the iOS Ap Store/Steam/whatever and download it.
Sergeant 1st Class kalishnikov

Postby AAFitz on Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:59 pm

About the same as us catching a Bass this afternoon.
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz

Postby owenshooter on Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:39 am

AndyDufresne wrote:The early CC community was very much a product of its time. Reddit and Facebook and Youtube were just starting to be adopted social community spaces and other social community spaces ( Tumblr, Twitter, Instagram, Steam, etc) were further on the horizon. I think based on anecdotal reports, forum communities across the web have dwindled in numbers -- even as more and more people are moving online, their interaction and drive is further pushed outside of the traditional model of forum communities that have been around since the 80's.
--Andy

well... that may be quite true... however, i wonder how many other sites openly engaged in the sorts of activities that CC did to cleanse the forums of what it was that made them special and unique to the site... of course there is the old "wives tale" that CC was being "cleaned up" for a possible sale to HASBRO, but i just don't care... the fact is, those of us that were around saw the powers that be openly engage the forum community in a very hostile and aggressive manner to get rid of people that had differing opinions or senses of humor that did not jive with those of the admins/mods... i hope team CC can figure it out... but seeing as how they can't even announce things like MAJOR SITE CHANGES and whatever that coin swap garbage is, i doubt it... the black jesus has spoken...-el Jesus negro
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:53 am

CC is hardly unique any sense of 'cleansing' forums. If it didn't happen, I am 100% sure CC would be at its current state still, based on more important factors like a changing internet when it comes to social communities and lifestyles.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Timminz on Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:49 am

Three month down. 57 to go.
Captain Timminz

Postby jammyjames on Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:13 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:CC is hardly unique any sense of 'cleansing' forums. If it didn't happen, I am 100% sure CC would be at its current state still, based on more important factors like a changing internet when it comes to social communities and lifestyles.

--Andy

I wholeheartedly disagree.

This isn't like any other "normal" forum site, people will not migrate across to other social media platforms, the sole fact this forum has a game "attached" to it, should mean that people will frequent the forum more than say just a generic message board.

Either way, the site is a shadow of it's former self - the boss has no idea on how to run a community based platform, and well quite frankly; it's shit.

If CC survives, and by survives i mean has continued discussions in the forums, a high level of games being played, then I will be very surprised. I expect the forums to become a ghost town with just a few die-hard members still kicking.

God I hate this place. Thank you team CC for ruining the site I wasted my college years on...
Corporal 1st Class jammyjames

Postby IcePack on Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:05 pm

This isn't like any other "normal" forum site, people will not migrate across to other social media platforms, the sole fact this forum has a game "attached" to it, should mean that people will frequent the forum more than say just a generic message board.

I came to CC later then a lot of the "original" members so never saw it in the hey day . But I've been apart of 5 other game sites over the years with active forums attached and live chats etc.

Out of those 5, only 2 are still running and both have gone from 20-50k users to 500-1000 users and <25 active users a day.

CC in my time has gone from ~22k to 10-12k but remains active as far as far as games, clans, tournaments etc go. So in my experience even tho it's slowly shrinking, they are definitely performing above the curve compared with other similar sites I've been on.

Especially considering those other sites had little competition, where as there are several other choices similar to CC out there.
Last edited by IcePack on Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:01 pm

IcePack wrote:

I came to CC later then a lot of the "original" members so never saw it in the hey day . But I've been apart of 5 other game sites over the years with active forums attached and live chats etc.

Out of those 5, only 2 are still running and both have gone from 20-50k users to 500-1000 users and <25 active users a day.

CC in my time has gone from ~22k to 10-12k but remains active so far as far as games, clans, tournaments etc go. So in my experience even tho it's slowly shrinking, they are definitely performing above the source compared with other similar sites I've been on.

Especially considering those other sites had little competition, where as there are several other choices similar to CC out there.

Almost identical to my experience.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Gillipig on Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:34 am

Dukasaur wrote:
IcePack wrote:

CC in my time has gone from ~22k to 10-12k but remains active so far as far as games, clans, tournaments etc go. So in my experience even tho it's slowly shrinking, they are definitely performing above the source compared with other similar sites I've been on.

Almost identical to my experience.

I call multies.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:58 pm

Unlike some users, I don't bitch about off-topic violations because I believe in allowing people the freedom to converse about whatever spontaneously arises. This phenomenon is destroyed by those who beatdown off-topic excursions. Demands for 'starting ur own therrad' overlook the fact that conversational topics aren't readily foreseen when one clicks the New Topic button. Instead, topics tend to be generated in this spontaneous back-and-forth process---you know, just like in real life.

What can we learn from this?

1. Unsurprisingly, my awesome thread is up top--without the need of my ego-bumping.

2. Enforcing off-topic violations ruins conversations, thus diminishes the value of this site. In some cases, enforcement is necessary, but unfortunately the Mods and Reporters obviously don't know when 'enough is enough'. Take note of the sucked-dry titty feel of the fora. The cause is pretty obvious: a few easily perturbed users and the generally well-intended mods.

*Also, everyone in my thread has been reported for going off-topic. You've been trapped, bitches!

Sincerely,
BBS
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Shannon Apple on Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:45 pm

Any site that I was a part of that had a forum game kinda went the same way, or died off altogether. The downward spiral was happening before this admin did anything. It needed something to happen, something did happen, but it seems to have changed nothing.

I've been on a forum that's been around quite a while longer than CC. It has no game attached, but it has suffered some of the same issues with a drop in active membership. Interestingly, in recent times,there has been an influx of new members who said they were looking for somewhere that they could have more indept discussions. I do see forums pick up again as people look for communities minus the mind numbingly dumb comment trend, but that's not going to happen overnight. CCs going to have to do something to attract people to the GAME and I know they are trying different things. The forum will fix itself once the player numbers pick up.
00:33:53 ‹riskllama› will her and i ever hook up, LLT???
00:34:09 ‹LiveLoveTeach› You and Shannon?
00:34:20 ‹LiveLoveTeach› Bahahahahahaha
00:34:22 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I doubt it
00:34:30 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I don't think she's into farm animals
Colonel Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby mathonwy on Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:17 pm

Speaking as a player that's on the verge of leaving, it's hard to gauge whether CC will survive another 5 years.

I've been a player for close to 2 years and the reason why I've thought very seriously about quitting is the dice. It is extremely taxing on the emotions when the dice gods decide for whatever reason to hit you with a series of -10%, -20%, -30% across multiple games in a very short time span. Yes, I should do attacks one at a time and never auto-attack but sometimes, one is limited by real life time constraints and a 5 on 1 SHOULD be an automatic. :P

On one side, I see the admins on this board trying very hard to enhance the game and put in new functionality and new maps. Kudos to them for doing this.

But the irregularity of the dice probabilities lead to some very crappy and negative mindsets and is a major factor in my current inclination to quit.

So that's my reason.

I know this puts me in the dice whiner category but frankly, I don't really care as my dollars (and my motivation to spend them) are real.
Major mathonwy

Previous

Return to Conquer Club Discussion