Conquer Club

DaGip's Official "Dice Suck!" Thread

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

My Dice Suck as bad as...

Total votes : 0

DaGip's Official "Dice Suck!" Thread

Postby DaGip on Fri May 16, 2014 4:52 pm

Hello, Beautiful People! This is your loveable DaGip spreading as much peace and happiness as humanly possible!

Anyway, the purpose of this thread is to hope that you ConquerClubbers will have a specific sub-forum (via a thread) in which you may complain to your heart's delight about the DICE SUCKING!

The benefits of this specific type of thread is to move all Dice Suck-type of threads from spamming up General Discussion, and include it into a more Community Based sub-forum in which all ConquerClub members can view, debate, and have fun talking about how much the DICE SUCK!

From my own experience, I know the Dice really, really suck really, really, really bad; so don't feel alone that you might be having bad luck with your supposed random dice generators!

Share your stories! Share your complaints! Show us the evidence!

May the Dice Suck gripes begin!
Army of GOD wrote:This thread is now about my large penis
Sergeant 1st Class DaGip

Re: DaGip's Official "Dice Suck!" Thread

Postby loutil on Fri May 16, 2014 10:53 pm

Obamacare but no Obama? Fail....

How in the hell does a C-Mag make your list. They ROCK.
Conqueror loutil
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby natty dread on Sat May 17, 2014 8:28 pm

Well, the thing about random.org is that it's basically useless and a waste of money...

What CC is doing is buying a small discount-sliver of entropy from random.org, then re-using that sliver for all dice-rolls until at some point, it gets updated again... at least, that was what CC was doing when I left, I doubt they have changed it that much.

Thing is... it's not likely to be practically any better than just using a well-tuned PRNG. Since there are lots of players using the entropy pool at the same time, there's already some inherent randomness coming in from the parallelization of dice rolls, ie. the random values being fetched from the pool and used as dice rolls. Timing of the roll matters, etc. Also with the way CC uses the numbers, they can't really be called "True" random numbers, either.

I think the only reason CC uses random.org in the process is just so they can silence dice complainers by saying "hey look, they come from a trusted source of random, it's the best random they have and we pay a good price for it... if you have a problem with our random, go complain at our random provider"... and that's that.

Basically, CC could just as easily replace the dice algorithm with a cheaper, less convoluted solution - and maybe even get better results! But then they wouldn't be able to say "we use random.org"... they wouldn't be "certified" by a 3rd-party business with no actual certification authority...

I used to defend CC's dice because I thought everyone who complains about them are just being whiny little bitches... and, well... people who complain about them are still being whiny little bitches... myself included... but these days I tend to think, what's so special about random.org? Anyone can take a $2 electric fan, point a microphone at it, and have a constant source of prime grade 100% guaranteed true random numbers... and that's just one example. Building an efficient TRNG really isn't rocket science... so why random.org? One reason: to shut up all the complainers. It's a convenient smoke screen and scapegoat, nothing more...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby jefjef on Sat May 17, 2014 10:54 pm

Why isn't Natty Dread on the list?

(Actually ND - Good post. Congrats! It's your 1st one)
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby natty dread on Sun May 18, 2014 5:01 am

jefjef wrote:Why isn't Natty Dread on the list?

I love you too, jefjef. Will you have my babbies?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby DaGip on Sun May 18, 2014 7:34 am

natty dread wrote:
jefjef wrote:Why isn't Natty Dread on the list?

I love you too, jefjef. Will you have my babbies?

Army of GOD wrote:This thread is now about my large penis
Sergeant 1st Class DaGip

Return to Conquer Club Discussion