Conquer Club

"How-To" Guides & Important Topics

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: "How-To" Guides & Important Topics

Postby blakebowling on Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:53 pm

Live Chat How-To
wicked wrote:Note everything in chat is case sensitive and names with spaces require quotes to string it together, e.g. "max is gr8".

To message someone privately, just click on their name in the right sidebar and select 'private message' when it pops up.

To create or join a room, type /join roomname where roomname is the name of the room you wish to create. e.g. /join "Everyone Loves Wicked" or /join UnSocial. If you close the Callouts or Social windows, you can rejoin by typing /join Callouts or /join Social. To invite others into a room you've created, type /invite username.

To ignore someone in chat, type /ignore username where username is the name of the person you wish to ignore.

Some examples...
/ignore "max is gr8"
/ignore AK_iceman
/ignore wicked

To stop ignoring, type /unignore username

If you want your text to appear in the third person, e.g. *wicked waved goodbye, then use the /me command, e.g. /me waved goodbye.

For other commands you may or may not be able to use, type /help
Know that this will show all commands, so some of the ones only available to chat moderators will not be functional for you. For explanations of what these commands do, search the 'net.

If any of these commands do not work, either refresh chat (F5) or close chat and re-enter.

Well dang, I guess I just wrote a chat how-to... lol. :lol:

InkL0sed wrote:Here's as comprehensive a guide as I can come up with of commands that you're allowed to use. Commands are in bold; text displayed, if any, is after the "=>" sign.

/help displays all the possible commands. Many of them are useless, or you won't have permission to use if you're not a chat mod.

/me does something
=> * InkL0sed does something

/notice something
=> * something (InkL0sed)

/ignore username ignores user with name "username"

/unignore username unignores user with name "username"

/clear clears all the text in the room. This is good in conjunction with /ignore if there's a particularly bad spammer in the room.

/join Room joins Room if not already in the room. If you are, then it switches to that tab, and it doesn't display the below text. If the room doesn't exist, it creates the room.
=> * InkL0sed joins Room

/leave leaves the current room
=> * InkL0sed quit
/leave ch Room leaves Room
=> * InkL0sed quit
/leave ch Room "reason"
=> * InkL0sed quit (reason)
/leave pv username leaves a private chat
=> * InkL0sed quit
/leave pv username "timeout"
=> * InkL0sed quit (timeout)

/invite username invites user with name "username" to the current room
=> * username was invited by InkL0sed
/invite username Room invites user with name "username" to Room
=> * username was invited by InkL0sed

/privmsg username starts a private message with user "username". The only difference between doing this and creating a room and then inviting the person, is that nobody else can ever join the private message, even if you try to use /invite.

/send text simply submits "text"
=> <InkL0sed> text
/send /join also simply sends "/join". However, this allows you to type /join without calling the command and without a space before it, which is really the only reason why you'd ever use this command.
=> <InkL0sed> /join

/init disconnects from chat altogether, and leaves every room as well.

/quit does the same thing as /init, except it doesn't give you the message below that says "You must be connected to send a message."

/connect reconnects to chat. Obviously, this only works if the window is still open. Also, for me anyway, I only get plain text after doing this. I have to actually reload chat to get bolds, italics, colors, etc.

/version will give you the current version of Chat.

/whois username gives the true name of username. This will always return "username", since you can't actually change your "nickname", as Chat calls it.

/who does nothing. Well, ok, it gives you an orange bar below the text window. Yay.

/identify also does nothing. It only says "Identification failure"

Other notes:
When giving any argument after a certain command, if that argument has a space in it, you have to surround it by quotes. For example, if you try to do /invite InkL0sed Second Social, you'll get an error. You should do /invite InkL0sed "Second Social" instead.

Typing the up-arrow on your keyboard will give you the last message you submitted. Typing it again, will give you the second-to-last, ad infinitum. To go back down, use the down-arrow keyboard. Unfortunately, typing the down-arrow first will not give you your future messages. This feature cannot yet foretell the future.

Typing a person's name perfectly will bold their name, but only for them. So, this is how Chat may look to me:
<random person> InkL0sed
<InkL0sed> that's my name, don't wear it out

but to random person, it would look like this:
<random person> InkL0sed
<InkL0sed> that's my name, don't wear it out

Incidentally, clicking on someone's name will automatically add "someone's name, " to the text which you are typing.
Private blakebowling

Postby blakebowling on Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:55 pm

Optimus Prime wrote:Powers of the Inbox: How-To

With the advent of our new forum here at Conquer Club we have been given many new features that all of us can use to improve our global domination experience. However, some of the features in the new PM system are a little tricky to understand at first, so I present to you a helpful how-to that should go a long ways to easing your PM troubles.

Sending a PM to Multiple Recipients:

After opening a new PM as usual with the "New PM" button, you will notice the white box available to type in the names of the players you want to send a message to. Type in each name (remember to hit "enter" between each name) so that they appear on a new line each time. When you are done adding in all the names, click "Add" and then all you have to to is insert your subject and message before hitting "Submit"

It's as simple as that.

If you don't remember to press "Add" before you move on, you will not send the message to anyone and the boxes will all be cleared. Meaning you'll have to start all over. ;)

Blocking PMs from Foes:

While it is not a standard feature to have anyone on your Foe list blocked from sending you a PM, it is possible with the use of the new "filter system" that has been added to your Inbox. This will allow you to automatically delete messages from players you wish to have no contact from.

Follow these steps:

1. Go to Inbox and then click on the tab labeled: Rules, Folders & Settings
2. In the dropdown menu underneath "Add a New Rule" select "Sender" and hit "Next"
3. Once again in the dropdown, select "is foe" and hit "Next"
4. Lastly, select "Delete Message" from the dropdown and hit "Add Rule"

This will make it so that any messages you receive from a person on your Foe list are automatically deleted when they arrive.

Creating New Folders:

Some of us have reasons for multiple folders. Perhaps you want to have all incoming mail from your clan members sorted into one place, and all your mail from people on your Friends list into another. It's a pretty simple process really, and it will help you to keep track of messages you consider important. However, keep in mind that you can only create 5 additional folders and that each has a limit of 75 messages.

Follow these steps:

2. Underneath the "Folder Options" heading type in what you want your folder to be titled.
3. For the sake of demonstration I titled mine: Generation One
4. Hit "Add"

This will allow you to now filter messages into something other than your Inbox as they arrive. Below are the steps for filtering messages directly into your new folder. As I have created a folder for my clan/usergroup, we will use that as the demonstration:

2. In the dropdown menu underneath "Add a New Rule" select "Sender" and hit "Next"
3. Once again in the dropdown, select "is in usergroup" and hit "Next"
4. A new dropdown will appear. From there select your clan/usergroup. (Mine is Generation One)
5. Click "Next"
6. From the dropdown, select "place into folder --> (your folder name)"
7. Click "Add Rule"

You're done! It's that simple. :D

There are several other options on how to set up the rules and filters as well. You can have messages marked a certain way when they arrive, marked as read, set to move to a new folder after you have replied, etc. Take a few minutes to play around and see what you can make work for you.

These features are especially beneficial to anyone leading a clan, running tournaments, working as a member of Team CC, or who are having problems with being harrassed by other members of the site.

I hope it all was helpful!

Regards, Optimus Prime
Private blakebowling

Postby blakebowling on Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:58 pm

How to Use the New Panel Interface
Foxglove wrote:CC just released a new game page interface that introduces a system of customizable panels. It can take some clicking to get the new Panel Interface adjusted to your liking, however, so I've put together a few screenshots to show the different options available. You can keep all of the data contained in the tabs (default), or you can detach as many of the panels as you like and adjust them in various spots on the page.

1. Overview - this image shows the names of the primary panels and placeholders for the possible positioning of the panels.

Click image to enlarge.

2. Panels - Panels are positioned as tabs in the Console Panel by default. You can click the icon to move the panel - each click moves it to a new location. The following screenshots show how to move the Log Panel into all of the possible positions, but you can move any or all tabs that you would like.

Click image to enlarge.

The first click will detach the panel and place it below the Console Panel.

Click image to enlarge.

The second click will move the panel below the map.

Click image to enlarge.

The third click on the icon will move the panel to the top right corner of the UI.

Click image to enlarge.

The fourth click will reattach the panel as a tab inside the Console Panel.

3. The Action Panel - the Action Panel can be moved into all of the positions of the other panels, but it has the additional option of being able to float the bottom of your screen. It is positioned above the Console Panel by default.

Click image to enlarge.

Click the icon to float the Action Panel.

Click image to enlarge.

Clicking the move icon while the Action Panel is floating will attach it to the Console Panel as a tab. Once it is a tab, you can move it out and into the same positions as any other panel.

4. Turn On The Panels! - go to your Game Settings to turn on the new panel system.

Click image to enlarge.

Private blakebowling

Postby blakebowling on Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:00 pm

How to Clear your Cache
wicked wrote:This question is asked quite often, especially whenever an update is installed. Here's how to do it.

Select the instructions below that correspond to whichever browser you are using. To find out which browser you are usin, go to Help at the top of your browser window and select "About".

Clearing Cache on Firefox 1.0
Click Tools and select Options.
Click the Privacy Icon.
Click Clear next to the Cache section.
Click Ok.
Exit and relaunch the browser.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clearing Cache on Firefox 1.5
Click the Privacy icon.
Click the Cache tab and click Clear Cache Now.
Click Ok.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clearing Cache on Firefox 2.0 and 3.0
Click the Advanced icon and click the Network tab.
Click Clear Now under the Cache section.
Click Ok.

Clearing Cache on IE 6.0
Click Tools and select Internet Options
Click General Tab
Click Delete Files in the Temporary Internet Files section
Check Delete All Offline Content
Click OK

=====================================

For newer versions:

http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser%27s-Cache
https://kb.iu.edu/data/ahic.html
https://www.java.com/en/download/help/webcache.xml
Private blakebowling

Postby blakebowling on Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:11 pm

Forum Tips / Tricks
hecter wrote:This is the How-To Thread

• This will tell you how to post pictures, and make clickable links, and any and all other forum related needs. If you have something to add, please contact a Global Moderator for any additions you'd like to see!

Firstly, some forum basics [Index]:
Private blakebowling

Postby blakebowling on Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:21 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:Posting Pictures
This is how you post a picture. First, the picture must be online. You cannot post pictures off of your machine. If you have a picture on your machine that you want to post, then you can always make an account with an image hosting site, such as http://photobucket.com/ and upload your pictures onto it. It must also be in the correct format, such as jpg, or gif. Now, to the actual posting of the picture… Here is an example:
See that picture? Good. To post that picture, I had to type in:
Code: Select all
[img]http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad303/xXShiroiKokoroXx/l_47eedc36dce2486bb9f296d522e417eb.jpg[/img]

The thingies are called image tags. Now, don't worry about having to remember that, and having to type that in everytime you want to post a picture. If you look up to where you want to post, just underneath the title, you will see a whole bunch of little buttons. Push the Img button, and it will automatically put in the [img]part,%20then%20push%20it%20again%20and%20it'll%20put%20in%20the[/img] part. Cool eh :D Then, you just put in your picture's url in between those. In this case it was "http://www.catfacts.org/cat-facts.jpg". Now you know how to post a picture 8)

Clickable Links
To make a clickable link, such as this one, I had to enter the following:
[url=www.conquerclub.com]this[/url]

Again, you don't have to type in the all the time, just click the URL button, as it was with the pictures. But, here is how you make it clickable 8) Inside the [url]tag, you have to add in you website, in this case it was "www.conquerclub.com". To do that, you simply need to do this: [url=website here]See the "=" sign? That is what you need to add, along with the website. In between your [url=website here]and you[/url], you simply add you want to say. In this case, it was "this". So, it goes like this:
[url=website here]what you want made clickable[/url]

You can always make a picture clickable as well. Just put what you learned from posting a picture, and put it in between the URL tags.
Private blakebowling

Postby rdsrds2120 on Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:28 pm

Quoting
If you want to quote somebody, you generally just hit the quote button at the top right hand side of there post. It will generally look like this:
hecter wrote:SPAM!

That was me saying SPAM! (big surprise eh ;)). It would look like this in your response:
[quote="hecter"]SPAM![/quote]

Let's say you have something that looks like this though:
wicked wrote:

Stop spamming the forums!

and you don't want my previous SPAM! comment in your post, it would look like this:
[quote="wicked"][quote="hecter"]SPAM![/quote]
Stop spamming the forums![/quote]

You would have to take out the "[quote= "hecter"]" part, my "SPAM!" part, and my "[/quote]" part. You must always have the same number of [ quote] and [/quote] tags, otherwise, you end up with something like this:

Stop spamming the forums![/quote]

That just looks weird doesn't it? It is best to preview posts before sending them, especially if you have a lot of coding like that. That way, you don't end up with things that look like that.
If you want to make up your own post, and you want more than just a "quote" at the top, and instead want a "This site/person wrote" at the top, just do this:
CC website wrote:Risk all your armies on a daring continent grab. Use diplomacy to coordinate a group assault on the game leader. Feel the thrill of victory as you eliminate your last opponent.

The key part of that post (in the code) was:
[quote="CC website"]

See how at the top it says "CC website wrote"? Well, to get that, I had to add, in the quote tag, " ="CC website" ". Again, there are quote buttons, so you don't have to do all that [ quote][/quote] stuff. But, what you do have to do is add the ="whatever" part. I bolded the "'s because if you didn't get that, you would end up with:
[quote=hecter]SPAM![/quote]
and you don't want that do you?

Code
If you want to show somebody something, such as the code for a picture, but you don't want to post the picture itself, then just use the Code button. It will add the:
[code][/code]

parts, and all you have to do is add what you want to say. And example would be what I did with the cat picture, but I'll do it again. This is the picture:
And this is what you need to type in for the picture. It is exactly the same, I just added Code tags:
[img]http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad303/xXShiroiKokoroXx/l_47eedc36dce2486bb9f296d522e417eb.jpg[/img]
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby blakebowling on Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:29 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:Colours, Bolding, Italics, Underlines and Sizes
To make something a different colour, look to where the buttons are. Now look down a smidge and ther you will see:
Font colour: [Default]
If you click on the arrow, it will come up with a whole bunch of colours to choose from. Choose the one you want, and it will put in the proper tags for you post. An example would be:
[color=red][/color]

If you clicked red. It would make all the text in between the tags red.
It works the same way for font size, just go to the next one over, and choose the size you want.
To make something bold, click the "B" button, and it will give you the first bold tag, which is just a [ b]. Then add your text, click it again, and it will add the [/b] tag. All the text inside the tags will now be bolded :D
To make something italics, do the same that you do with bolding, just click the "i" instead.
The same goes with underlining. Just click the "u". If you would like to make strikethrough text, you can do so with the following tags:
[s]strikethrough[/s]
Private blakebowling

Postby blakebowling on Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:30 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:Spoilers & CCTime & Auto-Join Links(rds addition)

Spoilers
Ever have a list of things you need to show, but don't want a mile-high post? Well, we have a solution for that.

show: Explanations and Whatnot

CCTime
Since ConquerClub has people from all around the globe, the site has decided to take a standard time to clear confusion. CCTime is EST (GMT -5), and has a tag to help illustrate this.

The following code:
[Time]2010-12-27 12:00:00[/Time]

Will yield: CC Time: 2010-12-27 12:00:00. The format a CCTime tag needs to be in is:

yyyy-mm-dd hh-mm-ss (year, month, day, hours, minutes, seconds)
CCTime also assumes a 24 hour calendar, so for 2PM, the hour would be 12+2 = 14

Game Auto-Join Links
This is mostly applicable to Tournament Games and the Callouts section of the forum, but nonetheless, good to know about. If sending someone a game, you can send them an auto-join link with the following code:
[to]GAMENUMBER PASSWORD[/to]
which will give you something like this: View Game 8452370 (Auto-Join Game)
Private blakebowling

Postby blakebowling on Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:32 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:How to Setup your Avatar

You know that little 100x100 pixel image people have to show themselves? Well, you can have one, too :)

First, you need to download the image you want as your avatar. If it isn't 100x100 exactly, that's ok. Many pictures get shrunk down to the necessary size to fit ;)

Once you have it saved onto your computer in a place you can remember, go to:
    --------> "Control Panel" --> "Profile" --> "Edit Avatar"

Or just click this link:Edit Avatar

Click "Choose File", select your image you would like as your avatar, and you're set!!
Private blakebowling

Postby blakebowling on Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:42 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:How To Set Up Your Signature and Some Common Troubleshooting

First, when deciding to use a signature, know that ConquerClub has a signature size limit. Your signature (including all text, pictures, links, etc.,) must be at MOST 150 pixels high, and at MOST 600 pixels wide in resolution. Here is an example box to match your signature size against:

Now, to access your signature editing tool, go to:

--------> "Control Panel" --> "Profile" --> "Edit Signature"

Or just click this link:Edit Signature

COMMON ISSUE: Sometimes, people don't have the right settings to allow signatures to appear in their posts. Here are the most common problems with displaying signtatures:

1) You've Disabled BBCode in the Sig Editor
      Many people often check the "Disable BBCode" checkbox, and this renders links, img tags, quotes, etc., completely useless. Make sure that your selections look like this:
        [imghttp://d3udgt0w45hpcz.cloudfront.net/SignatureExample.jpg[/img]

2) You aren't set to display a signature in the forums
    Sometimes people have their signature disabled, so it obviously won't show up! To make sure you are set correctly, under:

Go there, and make sure that the specified information is in the right place optimal for signature viewing:

This will attach your signature to every single one of your posts (unless you specify otherwise, per post)!

3) You have everyone's signatures turned off!

You may be attaching a signature to every single post you have, but what's the use if you can't see yours, or anyone else's? Go to:

And change it to look like this for optimal forum aesthetics:

If, after all of this troubleshooting, you still can't see you or other people's signatures, it may be worth opening a topic in the Bugs Report Forum if you are COMPLETELY sure that it is a bug. Although, I recommend contacting a Community Moderator first, to ensure that you have done everything correctly :)
Private blakebowling

Postby blakebowling on Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:43 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:Attachment Guide

Introduction

The ability to add attachments to forum posts has been enabled in select forums. In order to add an attachment, you must have the file saved as file to your computer (i.e. desktop, etc.). You will know if attachments are enabled in the forum you are browsing when you go to post a new topic or reply to a thread by seeing the "Upload Attachment" tab, next to the "Options" Tab, located under the text entry box. (See below for screenshot).

How to Use:

Step 1: In the “Post A New Topic” or “Post A Reply” screen, click on the “Upload Attachment” tab:

Step 2: Click “Browse:

Step 3: Find the screenshot picture file you saved, either click on the file to select it, and click “Open” or double click the file:

Step 4: Enter text in the “File Comment” text box (optional), then Click “Add The File”:

Step 5: At this point, you can change your comment or add one now if you didn’t add one in step 4. Place the file “inline” (which places the image in the post reply text area with attachment tags in the location where your cursor is) or delete the file:

Step 6: To add more files, simply repeat the above steps.

Step 7: Submit your post.

========================================================================================

Guide Author: Calidrmr
Private blakebowling

Postby blakebowling on Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:44 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:How To Use Lists

Lists are a powerful BBCode tool that allows members to organize things that belong together. In this post, we will be discussing the list= and list tags, and what the difference is.

Using The Normal List Tag

For starters, let's use list. The list function will indent your selection once for each time it is listed. So, for example:
[list]Indent Once[/list]

Yields:
    Indent Once

While
[list][list]Indent Twice[/list][/list]

Yields:
      Indent Twice

You can continue to add multiple "list" tags to indent them more and more. This may be used to try and "center" text, for example.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bullets

Along with spacing, you can add bullets and sub-bullets to your text for organization and clarity. Use the [*] tag to indicate a bullet. Here are some examples:

[list][*]Indent Once[/list]

Yields:
  • Indent Once

While
[list][list][*]Indent Twice[/list][/list]

Yields:
    • Indent Twice

As you can see, the bullet in the second example is a different shape than the first. This is because, for each time we indent with one bullet, it changes. This makes for very clear lists! :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The List= Code

List= is very similar to a normal "list", but it will substitute things in for your bullets. Very nice, I know. Here are some examples:

[list=1]
[*]Numbered
[*]Numbered
[*]Numbered
[/list]

Yields:
  1. Numbered
  2. Numbered
  3. Numbered

While
[list=I]
[*]Numeral One
[*]Numeral Two
[*]Numeral Three
[/list]

Yields:
  1. Numeral One
  2. Numeral Two
  3. Numeral Three

You can also use 'i', 'A', and 'a' to order them by lowercase Roman Numerals, lowercase letters, and uppercase letters respectively. Here are what they look like:

1. Lowercase Numerals
  2. Lowercase Numerals
  3. Lowercase Numerals
  4. Lowercase Numerals
  5. Lowercase Numerals
  1. Lowercase Letter
  2. Lowercase Letter
  3. Lowercase Letter
  4. Lowercase Letter
  5. Lowercase Letter
  6. Lowercase Letter
show: Uppercase

I only made so many uppercase letter examples above to show you that you can go past 26, if you were wondering. It will just go into the double lettering system :)

Nesting Lists

Let's say I want to organize many things by different categories using the above methods. We can do that be nesting lists within another. I'll just give you a quick demonstration, and the code needed to do it.

1. Numeral 1
  2. Numeral2
    1. Alpha 1
      1. Number 1
        1. Lowercase A
          1. Lowercase Numeral
  3. Numeral 3

[list=I][*]Numeral 1[*]Numeral2
[list=A][*]Alpha 1
[list=1][*]Number 1
[list=a][*]Lowercase A
[list=i][*]Lowercase Numeral[/list][/list][/list][/list]
[*]Numeral 3[/list]

You can actually go in deeper, either by reusing your letter/numbers, or by not using them at all. Lists may be a little confusing at first when you go into a lot of nesting, but they're generally simple to use for the purposes on this site, as they usually don't get very complex. I hope this has helped, good luck with your lists!
Private blakebowling

Return to Conquer Club Discussion