Conquer Club

Let's Talk About The Dice

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

How do you feel about the dice?

They're fine, I don't have any concerns with them. (I feel neutral or sometimes optimistic about the dice.)
28%
Sometimes they're sketchy, maybe they could be better but it's not a big deal. (I feel neutral or sometimes leery about the dice.)
38%
They're awful, they've made me loose too many games that I should've otherwise won, they should be fixed immediately. (I feel hatred for the dice.)
33%

Total votes : 39

Re: Let's Talk About The Dice

Postby TeeGee on Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:03 am

17 vs 1... and was 2 vs 1 in the end.... The dice hate me, even though I still love them
Kotaro wrote:TG for site owner 2020
Field Marshal TeeGee

Location: Traversing the Multiverse, looking for a Yak with 3 ears

Postby general cod on Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:55 pm

Ah that IS the key - claps with hands and balls on my next shag which i hope is soon...
Lieutenant general cod

Postby jusplay4fun on Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:45 am

If you read some of the other threads on Dice, there are a few astute comments made about algorithms and suggested changes to a different one.

As I recall, you will have to read LOTS to find any such comments and read most, if not all, the recent threads about dice.
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby johnnycaffeine on Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:31 am

Just want to clarify, since so many here think the dice are faulty. If you look at a single roll, 3 attacking dice vs. 2 defending dice:

The attacker wins two 37.2% of the time.
The attacker wins one and loses one 33.6% of the time.
The attacker loses two 29.3% of the time.

If those are NOT the true odds of each roll, then what are the true odds? Thank you.
Captain johnnycaffeine

Postby Nucker on Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:54 am

Johnny you bring up a valid point about percentages.
If the percentages were stable it would make calculations more dependable.

It is in the 3 vs 1 percentage that one sees a lot of randomness far far outside reality.

But essentially it does not have to be a my way or the highway approach.

We can offer options in settings.

Current random - I do belive there is an actual problem with our generator that has a LOT of players walking away from CC.

Balanced Dice - where you can still get lopsided results but less frequently.
Also dice outcomes within a game will balance as well as between players.

Curtailed Dice - where the luck factor is diminished to small numbers.
Eg for numbers 4 to 7 you can only win or lose by 1 advantage. 8 to 21 a max of 3 and 22 upwards a max of 5.
This will create enough luck to mitigate any stalemate.

No Dice - An option for the true strategist. These will require starting numbers of 1s or 2s (both options should be included) and not the standard 3.

I have said all of this before in the forums, repeatedly over the 10 Years I have been here.

The current dice generator takes the joy out of trying to play strategically.
Sergeant 1st Class Nucker

Postby Rotean9 on Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:04 pm

Is it my imagination or is this true or not? Whenever I win a lot of games and get a promotion, the dice completely turn against me. In fact, there are turns that i don't win a single roll. It's almost like the game lets me win until I get a promotion and then won't let me win anything until I get demoted again and then I win everything again and the cycle repeats. Is this just my imagination or or the dice somehow fixed to screw you when you get a promotion? This has happened many times over the last year. Another thing: I lose almost every roll or my opponent clobbers me and loses almost no men at all in many battles and the dice statistics show that my dice are good. Are the dice statistics real or are they just made up? They always even out like some formula, but I wonder sometimes. The bad dice rolls and games lost due to incredibly horrid dice rolls seem to far outnumber the lucky games when the dice are good or awesome. In fact, the dice seem PERFECT or ABSOLUTELY AWFUL and there is no in between. The dice are NOT random. they seem to follow patterns. Sometimes I keep rolling on purpose just to test whether the dice are fixed and sure enough the pattern continues for about 12 rolls and then it switches. Usually, the lucky and good dice kick in right after the game is already lost. Sound familiar? The dice ruin far too many games. Of course, to point of these obvious facts make you a complainer, and it seems that the dice seem to get even worse. Is this my imagination? I wonder sometimes. In my view, the DICE changed quite dramatically about 2 years ago in CC. They became black and white, horrid or perfect, NOT RANDOM. Not even close. Like an abnormal heart beat, the dice stats jump up and down like a ping pong ball. -32 attack..... then +42 attack... -64 defense... then +12 defense. So erratic and unpredictable. Impossible to plan anything in advance in strategy as the dice can turn on you like a pet tiger. Dice rule the game and decide too many outcomes. Skill and strategy are too often cancelled out by the erratic and unfair dice. Enough said.
Sergeant 1st Class Rotean9

Postby Nut Shot Scott on Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:26 pm

Lol. You're looking at one factor out of many, for one. And you dont remember all the great dice that won you those other games because youre winning. When you get that promotion, are you playing the same level of player? The way the point system works, the higher you go, the harder is to maintain rank. So you either have to play and beat players of a higher rank as you go up or you have to not lose to lower ranked players as often as you had been.

The dice are what they are - by saying they are not random because they are random, that makes them random. If you want to control them - that makes them not random. In real life, dice are random. Odds are just that, odds - not certainties. How boring would this game be if you all rolled the same thing every time? What would the point be? Ever played a game of table risk? Granted the volume of rolls doesnt reach what it does in some games here, but i have had countless real life dice rolls of 7, 8, 9 v 1 and lost them. I've flipped a board, tossed the dice across it, etc due to bullshit dice in real life.

Im not saying theyre perfect. But they are programmed for everyone to consistently land on 3.50 attack and defend average. If you go too far one way or another, it will bring you back. Sometimes its on a couple of big rolls, sometimes its on a long series of small ones. You can mitigate the dice factor by playing certain games, maps, settings. I complain about the dice as much as the next guy but the reality is, if youre blaming the dice for being a low rank - i can say that you are very likely just not very good at this game.
Major Nut Shot Scott

Postby jusplay4fun on Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:27 pm

Nut Shot Scott wrote:Lol. You're looking at one factor out of many, for one. And you dont remember all the great dice that won you those other games because youre winning. When you get that promotion, are you playing the same level of player? The way the point system works, the higher you go, the harder is to maintain rank. So you either have to play and beat players of a higher rank as you go up or you have to not lose to lower ranked players as often as you had been.

The dice are what they are - by saying they are not random because they are random, that makes them random. If you want to control them - that makes them not random. In real life, dice are random. Odds are just that, odds - not certainties. How boring would this game be if you all rolled the same thing every time? What would the point be? Ever played a game of table risk? Granted the volume of rolls doesnt reach what it does in some games here, but i have had countless real life dice rolls of 7, 8, 9 v 1 and lost them. I've flipped a board, tossed the dice across it, etc due to bullshit dice in real life.

Im not saying theyre perfect. But they are programmed for everyone to consistently land on 3.50 attack and defend average. If you go too far one way or another, it will bring you back. Sometimes its on a couple of big rolls, sometimes its on a long series of small ones. You can mitigate the dice factor by playing certain games, maps, settings. I complain about the dice as much as the next guy but the reality is, if youre blaming the dice for being a low rank - i can say that you are very likely just not very good at this game.

I essentially agree with N S Scott on what he says here, except for one small point. If one rolls 6 consecutive ones (or any other number to use as an example, 1-6), the odds that you will roll another one, no matter what happened in the previous 6 (or 4 or 2) rolls, is the SAME. Truly random dice would offer the same odds EACH round. NOW the ODDS that one will roll another number, other than a one, is 5-1, but the odds are not dictated by what happened before. OVERALL, the trend is to even out to 3.50 OVER the LONG-Term, but not one roll to the next, as I understand ODDS and probability.

Take a simpler example. I flip a coin and it lands head 6 times in a row. The odds are still 50/50 on the NEXT roll. However, given enough coin flips, the odds are that about half will be heads and half will be tails, especially as the number of flips grow to a significant number of flips. I would say 100 or even 1,000 is a significant number of flips.

Most of what N S Scott says about odds and random dice are some of the key points that I have already made in a few threads on this topic over some 3-4 years of reading and posting in a few CC Forum threads on the topic of DICE. The topic of dice (and odds) is one of the MAIN complaints about CC.
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby Nut Shot Scott on Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:44 pm

jusplay4fun wrote:I essentially agree with N S Scott on what he says here, except for one small point. If one rolls 6 consecutive ones (or any other number to use as an example, 1-6), the odds that you will roll another one, no matter what happened in the previous 6 (or 4 or 2) rolls, is the SAME. Truly random dice would

the other spot where I think people make a mistake is that your odds aren't about rolling a specific number - they're about rolling better than your opponent.
Major Nut Shot Scott

Postby jusplay4fun on Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:31 am

Nut Shot Scott wrote:
jusplay4fun wrote:I essentially agree with N S Scott on what he says here, except for one small point. If one rolls 6 consecutive ones (or any other number to use as an example, 1-6), the odds that you will roll another one, no matter what happened in the previous 6 (or 4 or 2) rolls, is the SAME. Truly random dice would

the other spot where I think people make a mistake is that your odds aren't about rolling a specific number - they're about rolling better than your opponent.

Of course.
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby Rotean9 on Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:52 pm

It is possible to load the dice? Some players seem to win every single roll. I know one in particular. Someone talked about holding your mouse a certain way and you always win. Is this true? Sometimes I lose twelve rolls in a row too. Is this normal? Dice seem scewered. Or I'd like to scewer the dice.
Sergeant 1st Class Rotean9

Previous

Return to Conquer Club Discussion