Conquer Club

What does "gg" mean to you? Is it waving the white flag or d

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

What does "gg" mean to you? Is it waving the white flag or d

Postby chuck D on Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:28 am

Any time I've ever said, "gg", I've quit trying to win. It's like waving the white flag and inviting the other guy to "run the road" in route 66, or get the oasis, or whatever, and that I won't keep fighting as they quickly win the game w/out any more battles.

However, I was in a recent game where my opponent said, "gg" and then just started stacking on one of his two 1s ieft (in a poly game). So, after the "gg" by him, I went after him instead of defending my bonuses or playing strategic. However, he then roared back, took my bonuses and was positioned to win. It wasn't surprising that he could do this, as I had my guard down.

Seemed somewhat like a dick move. After he said, "gg" he should no longer try to win. That's always how I've played and how I've seen others play.

But, am I reading the typing of "gg" wrong? Do I just play w/ circles and clans that have adopted this but isn't widely done in the wilds of CC?

I gotta know.
fight the power

Colonel chuck D

Re: What does "gg" mean to you? Is it waving the white flag

Postby Caymanmew on Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:54 am

Some people are assholes, gg should mean your done and won't try anymore, but some people will say it to try and get you to let your guard down. Play your games out normally, even if they say gg unless you know and trust them.
Colonel Caymanmew
Clan Director
Clan Director

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:34 pm

chuck D wrote:Any time I've ever said, "gg", I've quit trying to win. It's like waving the white flag and inviting the other guy to "run the road" in route 66, or get the oasis, or whatever, and that I won't keep fighting as they quickly win the game w/out any more battles.

However, I was in a recent game where my opponent said, "gg" and then just started stacking on one of his two 1s ieft (in a poly game). So, after the "gg" by him, I went after him instead of defending my bonuses or playing strategic. However, he then roared back, took my bonuses and was positioned to win. It wasn't surprising that he could do this, as I had my guard down.

Seemed somewhat like a dick move. After he said, "gg" he should no longer try to win. That's always how I've played and how I've seen others play.

But, am I reading the typing of "gg" wrong? Do I just play w/ circles and clans that have adopted this but isn't widely done in the wilds of CC?

I gotta know.

You're reading it correctly. Most of the time, once somebody gives the gg, they're giving up.

They can change their minds, however. Sometimes, after a particularly bad turn, someone may feel like giving up, but the next day they've recharged their optimism battery and are ready to resume trying.

Caymanmew wrote:Some people are assholes, gg should mean your done and won't try anymore, but some people will say it to try and get you to let your guard down. Play your games out normally, even if they say gg unless you know and trust them.

I suppose some may do it to be misleading. But I think most of the time it's an unplanned change of heart.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Nut Shot Scott on Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:02 pm

What dukasaur said. Ive won games ive thought were lost and said gg, only to have my opponent whiff an 11 v 2 or completely stop trying. Youd be a fool to say gg then see an opening and think "nah, i said gg, i'm gonna ignore that".
Major Nut Shot Scott

Postby Evil Semp on Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:05 pm

My opinion when someone says GG doesn't mean they are giving up. It might mean that they think they lost.
Sergeant 1st Class Evil Semp
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Silly Knig-it on Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:10 pm

I think it means as close to a "resign" button as we can have since we don't have resign button (under ordinary circumstances.
Major Silly Knig-it
SoC Training Adviser

Postby 2dimes on Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:38 pm

When I write "gg" something happened such as most of my armies being taken out. I expect I won't be able to recover.

I'm never surrendering. If I have one guy on one territory. Next turn I'm attacking with the three new guys. If I can turn it around I will.

That's why, while I am in favour of a surrender button, I wouldn't use it.

Unsportsmanlike? Maybe, but this is war people. I'm fighting until I'm completely eliminated.
Private 1st Class 2dimes

Postby rockfist on Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:15 pm

Evil Semp wrote:My opinion when someone says GG doesn't mean they are giving up. It might mean that they think they lost.

This
Major rockfist

Postby Donelladan on Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:49 pm

rockfist wrote:
Evil Semp wrote:My opinion when someone says GG doesn't mean they are giving up. It might mean that they think they lost.

This

Me too.

If you're playing against me and I say gg, I am still going to try to win for couple of more turns. Sometimes I do mention it, like "gg", and next line "I'll still try a few more turns" in case people think like the OP.
Otherwise I often say, "gg, I give up".

When it's really clear there is no comeback possible anyway, then I only say "gg" and do give up. That's what I do in clan games most of the time.

In speed game especially, I often say gg when I am pissed after an incredible turn from my opponent, but I always try to turn it back.
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby ConfederateSS on Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:22 pm

2dimes wrote:When I write "gg" something happened such as most of my armies being taken out. I expect I won't be able to recover.

I'm never surrendering. If I have one guy on one territory. Next turn I'm attacking with the three new guys. If I can turn it around I will.

That's why, while I am in favour of a surrender button, I wouldn't use it.

Unsportsmanlike? Maybe, but this is war people. I'm fighting until I'm completely eliminated.

+1,000,000
--------One Last Rebel CHARGE :!: :!: :!: :!: .... O:) ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... O:).... Although...I write Great Game....so...Great might be different than good game....
Major ConfederateSS

Location: THE CONFEDERATE STATES of AMERICA and THE OLD WEST!

Postby Ltrain on Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:32 pm

db means I give up (deadbeat). If you say deadbeat and move again and you are a repeat offender there's a case to be made that it should be bannable offense, though CC is pretty clear in the rules that wack stuff like that in chat is not cool but could be considered part of the game. It sure happens in real life risk!

I've done all of these things:
1. Said GG when I have a shockingly bad roll that pissed me off and kept playing.
2. Said GG when I figured the game was over, gave it another round and then said DB (that's my usual)
3. Have someone say GG, then I do something really aggressive and they come back and win and I get a little pissy!
Captain Ltrain

Postby general cod on Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:33 pm

"Great game" what percentage of games apply to this? 1 in a 100 maybe over generous
Lieutenant general cod

Postby Deanos75 on Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:21 am

Hi

'gg' for me means 'i think i have lost'. If im going to stop trying i will be more specific and actually say that.

Cheers

Dean
Brigadier Deanos75

Return to Conquer Club Discussion