Conquer Club

Advice to people who are new to this game

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Advice to people who are new to this game

Postby Pedronicus on Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:26 pm

Anyone with a knowledge of this game please post your advice here

For all newcomers... read below, for advice, tips & stratagies as offered from the risk worlds most hardcore members.
Major Pedronicus

Postby kingwaffles on Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:41 pm

I think the most important advice to be given is to have fun and don't get hung up on broken truces or rank or silly things like that. Just enjoy yourself and always take South America :D
Corporal 1st Class kingwaffles

Postby areon on Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:52 pm

Don't trade in 3 reds if those are the only cards you have, it's much better to wait and see if you'll get the 3 color set to turn in. Jumping the gun loses these games especially with the harsh defending.
"We spend as much effort on indifference as our parents spent in the war."

Wiesel and others fear this...
Private areon

Postby kingwaffles on Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:59 pm

Card wise, don't stretch yourself too thin trying to take somone out but give it your best effort. Cards are very important but you don't want to leave yourself popen for elimination. Also in Escalting always hang on to your cards until they are worth more.. And never make alliances.

Postby moz976 on Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:11 am

Know when to retreat. Good countries to retreat to are Madagascar and Japan then just load your men there taking out one country a turn. You won't seem like a threat and people will likly leave you alone.
Private moz976

Postby HighBorn on Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:15 am

if your first in a sequencel game u dont always have to get a card just look at it as going last with extra armys.. i advise never attack the first turn
Private 1st Class HighBorn

Postby Romber on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:34 pm

Europe is a decent country to go for. It is suprisingly easy to hold(thats only if you have a few countries in or around europe to start the game with)
I AM TEH RUST
Cadet Romber

Postby kingwaffles on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

I think in order to go for Europe right at the begining you would need a very strong presence around there to start with, otherwise I would suggest going for something smaller until you have more troops to deploy.

Postby bartb88 on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:52 pm

You also don't want to for Asia too early.
Corporal bartb88

Postby supermarcol on Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:06 pm

You probably don't want Asia at all! The only way to get Asia is to have oceania and then expand very slowly and hope noone will attack you. Oceania is a good starting point if you can get it under 2-3 turns. Don't get into a fight for it with someone else, you'll both destroy yourselves. The problem with oceania is that there is no where good to expand afterwards. The best thing is to hope you still have some countries around once you got oceania, and then use the bonus to fuel the conquest of a completely different continent from there. That can give you an advantage.
-SuperMarcol
Sergeant 1st Class supermarcol

Postby superman on Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:06 pm

find one country that can protect two

example:

If you are trying to hold USSR (in the Asia Map) take pakistan so you can congregate all your troops from Iran and the other country into one country.
Private 1st Class superman

Postby kingwaffles on Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:39 pm

supermarcol wrote:The problem with oceania is that there is no where good to expand afterwards.

Exactly why South America is the best to start with. It is fairly easily defended, can be conquered quickly and gives you expansion routes into both Africa and North America.

Postby Risk_06 on Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm

In a 6-Player Game, sometimes it isn't always the right idea to be the first one to immediately take over a continent. This sometimes leads to everyone else thinking that they are losing, and then what sometimes happens is that now, 5 people are trying to break your continent, in an unspoken alliance.

Generally, Europe and Asia aren't the best continents to start off with in the beginning, unless most of your armies are there. Pick a continent to start off with that has 1-3 entry points, like Africa, North America, Oceania, and South America. There are that much easier to hold.

And one more: Probability-wise, 1 strong territory is more likely to take over an enemy territory than 2 medium territories, so try to pile all of your armies on one territory. For example, if you have 10 armies on India and 10 armies on China and you're trying to take out Siam, which has 15 armies, it would be better if you put all your strong armies on one territory and try using your 19-army territory to take over Siam.

Good luck out there! Remember: Never give up, even if the dice insists that your opponent has just rolled 4841653216451 sixes in a row. You'll get lucky eventually... :D

~ Risk_06
Currently on vacation. Sorry.

Proud xiGAMES member!
http://xigames.net/forum
Click it! NOW!
Corporal 1st Class Risk_06

Postby Marvaddin on Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:32 pm

I can give some advices too... I have no luck (here in Conquer Club) but have some strategies.

1- Cards are good, but dont waste your armies; if your first rolls are losses, end attacks. Never attack without the advantage of 3 x 2 dice, unless its really really necessary (to kill an opponent, for example).

2- Try to keep your enemies interests away from your areas. Remember, they will not try if they think its impossible. For example, if you start with 3 countries in Europe, player 2 with 2 countries, and 1 country to each other player, try take one of player 2 countries at first, or he can think about deploy in Europe and fight for it.

3- Never, never do a corrosive war against other player (the example about two guys trying Oceania is classic: none will win, and other players will grow). Try to keep a forgotten continent, or try some alliances if it can help you. You also can use my advice #2 :wink:

4- You shouldnt even try a continent you cant hold, or you will become a primary target and will lose a great number of troops. Always try to expand in a way to decrease the number of your borders.

5- Dont superestimate your armies. You should always count armies lost to minimal occupation before a great attack. Minimal occupation can do a really great difference. Be realistic about some losses, too. And always count your enemies next deployments as if they are on board already (unless you are thinking about kill your enemy :twisted: ).

6- In team games, team strategy is a must have. Deploying armies to your partner and fortifying him as necessary is the difference between two guys and a real double. A team needs always have an objective, so both players should help each other. Never let your partner die, and never offer his head to the enemies, one opportunity is all they need.

I will post some other strategies when I remember... Did you like these?
Major Marvaddin

Postby RAWigglesnort on Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:26 am

Asia can be a good place to start, under the right conditions:

- You have to be able to take Oceana in the first two or three rounds.

- You have to be willing to spend the time it takes to conquer slowly. The slower the better. If you quickly swarm over 3/4 of asia, you attract attention to yourself and spread yourself too thin. Never capture territory you can't afford to occupy.

- The key to holding Asia is Ukraine. I always consider Ukraine part of Asia. It makes the difference between having 5 border countries and having only three. Also, if an opponent is attempting to hold Asia, take Ukraine away from them if at all possible. It makes their job nearly impossible.
New Recruit RAWigglesnort

Postby HT-Johnao on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:36 am

Count cards. If you know you opponent is sitting on five cards, then maybe capturing that continent isent such a great idea. On the other hand, if you know he has only two cards and cant do anything about it you adjust your strategy accordingly.
Private 1st Class HT-Johnao

Postby Romber on Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:39 am

You can also use a lame, but semi-effective strategy of cherry picking. Just get a huge group of armies. Then when someone is out, kill them and get the cards.
I AM TEH RUST
Cadet Romber

Postby ADAM TJ on Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:51 am

ive been experrimenting with a new tactice well at least for me its a new one. dugcarr can defenetly account for its effectiveness considering ive used it on hime mabee4 -5 times and i keep taken him out... i basicly build an army big enough in a random place within ither europe or asia preferable something within 2 countries of SA or Oceana... nothing too big just somthing that will deter ppl from attacking. cuz its in a larger continent they have little to gain from wasting men on you esspecialy at the begining of the game.... use your other countries to kill off one country at a time. (usualy with a lil bit of luck there are some 1 man countries around you as ppl are readjusting their holdings. then wait, build your guy in the one main country slowly, as soon as you have: a) a set of cards b) see a weakness in SA or Oceana attack wipe them out and keep the countinent for yourself....

there are stipulations to this strat that i feel i should mention. first is that this all out attack should be early in the game. if Oceana has been controled long enough that he has had a bonous you lost your chance. always have perspective on the situation. also i dont use this is my main strategy. this is a strategy for games inwhich your starting position was absolute shyte. if you have questions or want clarification, pm me ill talk
Cadet ADAM TJ

Postby Pedronicus on Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:58 pm

This is my advice (for what it's worth)

1. On your first go, place 3 pieces on one territory and end your go (do not attack anyone)

2. Build up 3 territories spaced well apart, forget about taking a continent untill you get your cards.

3. If you get your cards and you have the option to either take a continent or kill another player - KILL ANOTHER PLAYER

4. Only give up your cards early (holding 3-4 cards) for additonal armies if 1. you think your too thin to survive another round of goes or 2. your in a position to kill another player.

5. Don't be a deadbeat
Major Pedronicus

Postby HighBorn on Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:07 am

yes exactally what he said +an exrta empasis on dont be a dead beat... ohh and no cheating 8)

Strategy

Postby Scarus on Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:33 am

I don't know how obvious it is, but from my experience here, I would say that some people aren't thinking about it, but don't play the same way in an escalating game as you would in a flat rate game.

Continents just aren't that important in an escalating game, yet in most of the escalating games I'm in people are just as obsessed with getting a continent as they would be in a flat rate game. It's nice to grab Austrailia or South America if you can do so without expending too many armies, but in an escalating game it's more important to have a large army ready to go in rounds 6 through 9. Most escalating games don't last past round 9 or 10 and more often than not, the winner of the game never even thought about owning a continent. If you spend your time getting control of a large continent in an escalating game, you're just setting yourself up for being taken out by someone else who is more focused on building up a large army and taking you out, and your cards with you.

Yes, I admit it. I am a card whore....lol

Scarus
Been playing Risk for a bit

Proud Member of xiGames, where Friends Kill Friends, with Honor
Sergeant 1st Class Scarus

Postby Giff07 on Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:01 pm

Reading a lot of the posts has made me realise i am a complete noob at risk.

Keep the advice coming guys and i might actually win a game :lol:
Ladies and gentlemen, can I please have your attention. I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story. I need all of you, to stop what you're doing and listen. Cannonball!
Corporal 1st Class Giff07

Postby Pedronicus on Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:23 pm

I forgot an important addition to my advice DONT ATTACK ME if you find yourself in a game with me- I'll look after you!!!!
Last edited by Pedronicus on Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Pedronicus

Postby IthicaBMX on Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:27 pm

heres real good advise dont play him ...lol.. just messing pedro.. but noobs should really try to play lower ranked people on here to begin with even if your a veterian on table top the stradagy is somewhat different here
Cadet IthicaBMX

Postby HighBorn on Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:47 pm

i concur...

Next

Return to Conquer Club Discussion