Conquer Club

Strategy Talk! Current Topic: Paranoia

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Strategy Talk! Current Topic: The Jailkeeper

Postby Fircoal on Thu May 26, 2011 6:50 pm

Thinking about that. Maybe we could have a whole thread dedicated to each persons opinion on the role and sticky it. Or have a thread filled with a blurb on each role. I think it'd be interesting and beneficial to try.
Vote: Mandy
Eddie35: hi everyone
Serbia: YOU IDIOT! What is THAT supposed to be? Are you even TRYING to play this game?! Kill the idiot NOW please!
Skoffin wrote: So um.. er... I'll be honest, I don't know what the f*ck to do from here. Goddamnit chu.
Captain Fircoal

Re: Strategy Talk! Current Topic: The Jailkeeper

Postby pancakemix on Thu May 26, 2011 9:10 pm

Fircoal wrote:Thinking about that. Maybe we could have a whole thread dedicated to each persons opinion on the role and sticky it. Or have a thread filled with a blurb on each role. I think it'd be interesting and beneficial to try.

That was one of my initial ideas for this thread, more specifically to write a consensus blurb and have it in the first post. That should still be doable if people want that.

New topic: Bandwagoning
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Re: Strategy Talk! Current Topic: Bandwagoning

Postby Fircoal on Thu May 26, 2011 9:52 pm

I agree that our next topic should be bandwagonning. ;3
Vote: Mandy
Eddie35: hi everyone
Serbia: YOU IDIOT! What is THAT supposed to be? Are you even TRYING to play this game?! Kill the idiot NOW please!
Skoffin wrote: So um.. er... I'll be honest, I don't know what the f*ck to do from here. Goddamnit chu.
Captain Fircoal

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu May 26, 2011 10:10 pm

BANDWAGONING KICKS ARSE!!!

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Rodion on Thu May 26, 2011 10:18 pm

I've heard things about the 4th (for instance) vote on a wagon being a "primary scum position". Does anyone give any credit to these premade common mafia conceptions? They could be easily WIFOMed.
General Rodion

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Thu May 26, 2011 10:45 pm

I've found that when bandwagoning you have to give a reason for why you're joining the bandwagon or else if you just BW then you get a lot of scum points. It's funny how town needs a BW to form in order to have a lynch but the BW process can help root out scum, or make players seem scummy.
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to defeat all evil. -Ephesians 6 KJV

My Smiley: ( :) ) --- it's got SHIELDS!

everywhere116 wrote:You da man! Well, not really, because we're colorful ponies, but you get the idea.
Sergeant shieldgenerator7

Postby safariguy5 on Fri May 27, 2011 12:10 am

shieldgenerator7 wrote:I've found that when bandwagoning you have to give a reason for why you're joining the bandwagon or else if you just BW then you get a lot of scum points. It's funny how town needs a BW to form in order to have a lynch but the BW process can help root out scum, or make players seem scummy.

It's more the frequency at which you bandwagon. Doing it occasionally is ok, but having most or all of your votes be the bandwagon variety can really get you on the scumdar.
Captain safariguy5

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Fri May 27, 2011 12:58 am

Is there really any "strategy" to bandwagonning? That's more of just an aspect of the game rather than anything requiring strategy. I really don't know what you could say about it.
pmchugh wrote:If I wasn't lazy, I would sig that :lol:
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby F1fth on Fri May 27, 2011 10:38 am

I would say that bandwagoning itself is not inherently scummy. Townies are almost always in the dark and will have to join bandwagons too and ones they aren't necessarily sure about. The manner in which the player joins the wagon is what's important.

Does the player...
... give supporting evidence or just agree with someone else?
... seem confident about the lynch?
... draw attention to their vote or slip it under the radar?

And other things along those lines. I also feel that how the person reacts to the accusation of bandwagoning can be more significant than the bandwagon vote itself but that's more of a personal opinion.
<>---------------------------<>
......Come play CC Mafia,
.....where happiness lies
<>----------[Link]----------<>

REMEMBER NORSE // REMEMBER DANCING MUSTARD
Corporal F1fth

Postby pancakemix on Fri May 27, 2011 12:43 pm

Mr. Squirrel wrote:Is there really any "strategy" to bandwagonning? That's more of just an aspect of the game rather than anything requiring strategy. I really don't know what you could say about it.

There are a few aspects to it I think, namely:

1. How to react to bandwagoning (town)
2. How to get away with it (scum)

Bandwagoning is often a necessary evil, especially early on and in larger games. Not everyone on a wagon is going to be scum, so how does one go about separating them?

On the other side, how does one get separated into the more desirable group?
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Fri May 27, 2011 1:03 pm

pancakemix wrote:2. How to get away with it (scum)

Typically, if I am scum, I will never hop on a bandwagon. I will either construct my own case and let others bandwagon it, or I will just ignore the bandwagon and let the townies argue amongst themselves and lynch each other. I steer clear of it entirely. Hopping onto a lynch that goes south can be disastrous to a mafia member and often will lead to their lynch. In my opinion, its better to start the wagons so you know just where it is going. This same strategy should be applied to cops and docs so that they aren't suspected by town and don't have to claim until they are ready.
pmchugh wrote:If I wasn't lazy, I would sig that :lol:
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby strike wolf on Fri May 27, 2011 1:54 pm

I have a few things I like to look for:

1. How strong is the case behind the bandwagon?
2. How close to deadline?
3. How often does the person jump on bandwagons compared to how often do they attempt making their own cases?
4. Where on the bandwagon did the person join?
5. How experienced is the person wagon jumping?
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby pancakemix on Mon May 30, 2011 9:05 pm

One other aspect to consider: the bandwagon as a necessary evil, especially in larger games. Let's face it: things don't get done unless people bandwagon on D1.
Epic Win

Postby ben.cleuch on Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:49 am

Hope this is the right thread. As bandwagoning has been quiet a while now. Can I ask that cult/recruiter is the next topic. I am new and have no idea what it means.
ps I am not one honest.
Lieutenant ben.cleuch

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:26 pm

ben.cleuch wrote:Hope this is the right thread. As bandwagoning has been quiet a while now. Can I ask that cult/recruiter is the next topic. I am new and have no idea what it means.
ps I am not one honest.

we know you're not in real life. And BTW we don't talk about ongoing games in this forum. We talk about strategy and what not and it's alright to ask questions like that. But don't give away info to ongoing games.

In Mafia games, there are usually two factions: Town and Mafia, the uninformed majority and the informed minority, respectively. These are the usual parties. but in some games, they also have a Cult, which is basically a Mafia faction except with two major differences: a Cult has a recruit ability, so it can grow; and the Cult does not have a night kill, but the Mafia does. A Cult is a very dangerous force in a game simply because it can grow; former townies can become cult goons. The Cult Recruiter role is the one that recruits townies into the cult. I hope that helps :)
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to defeat all evil. -Ephesians 6 KJV

My Smiley: ( :) ) --- it's got SHIELDS!

everywhere116 wrote:You da man! Well, not really, because we're colorful ponies, but you get the idea.
Sergeant shieldgenerator7

Re: Strategy Talk! Current Topic: Cults

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:18 pm

Cult - The most badass faction.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby safariguy5 on Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:39 pm

shieldgenerator7 wrote:
ben.cleuch wrote:Hope this is the right thread. As bandwagoning has been quiet a while now. Can I ask that cult/recruiter is the next topic. I am new and have no idea what it means.
ps I am not one honest.

we know you're not in real life. And BTW we don't talk about ongoing games in this forum. We talk about strategy and what not and it's alright to ask questions like that. But don't give away info to ongoing games.

In Mafia games, there are usually two factions: Town and Mafia, the uninformed majority and the informed minority, respectively. These are the usual parties. but in some games, they also have a Cult, which is basically a Mafia faction except with two major differences: a Cult has a recruit ability, so it can grow; and the Cult does not have a night kill, but the Mafia does. A Cult is a very dangerous force in a game simply because it can grow; former townies can become cult goons. The Cult Recruiter role is the one that recruits townies into the cult. I hope that helps :)

Cult generally win when they outnumber town, but remaining mafia will usually deprive cult of a win as the mafia may be able to kill the recruiter then whittle down cult numbers. So I generally don't declare a cult victory unless all mafia are dead.
Captain safariguy5

Postby strike wolf on Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:44 pm

I have no experience playing as cult but in general experience usually by day 3 the need to kill the cult recruiter starts to get to the point where it is notably more urgent than killing mafia (earlier in smaller games but cult is usually not used in smaller games). Tend to win when they outnumber town but like Safari said they mafia tends to off set that. I've also seen a couple of games where an SK was used to guise a cult game as a regular mafia game.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Cadet strike wolf

Postby safariguy5 on Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:19 am

strike wolf wrote:I have no experience playing as cult but in general experience usually by day 3 the need to kill the cult recruiter starts to get to the point where it is notably more urgent than killing mafia (earlier in smaller games but cult is usually not used in smaller games). Tend to win when they outnumber town but like Safari said they mafia tends to off set that. I've also seen a couple of games where an SK was used to guise a cult game as a regular mafia game.

As for who the cult recruiter targets, as both having played as recruiter and recruited, there are generally two good targets, both of which should be targeted to keep town from guessing the recruits

1. The real active townish players, especially when they are claimed.
2. The submarining players who you don't think are mafia.

Usually if cult recruits mafia, the recruiter dies, but those two recruitment targets give cult the best chance of winning.
Captain safariguy5

Postby strike wolf on Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:03 pm

My general recruiting strategy whether cult or mason has been to recruit active intelligent/experienced town-looking players (someone you trust to be of use without exposing him/herself or me of being aligned though I would care less about that if I was a mason recruiter than I would as cult). If I was cult I probably would as safari said mix in inactive players unlikely to be scum.

Cadet strike wolf

Postby nagerous on Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:48 pm

Cults are a serious danger to the town and I think often moderators underestimate their potential strength when attempting to balance a game. I've seen many a game where the town think they are doing well and hitting mafia when all of a sudden they are hit by a surprise cult that emerges from the shadows to win the game.

When playing as a cult leader, my advice tends to be to recruit your enemies, reading into the game and who is clicking onto you is vital as often they are also a power role and are much better on your side than against you ;). Normally when someone has their eye on you, they tend not to rest until you are either lynched, dead or have claimed and this poses an issue for a cult leader!
Captain nagerous

Postby strike wolf on Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:02 pm

That's a good plan with one potential draw back. If that person's attitude shifts towards that person the town might notice.

Cadet strike wolf

Postby safariguy5 on Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:16 am

nagerous wrote:Cults are a serious danger to the town and I think often moderators underestimate their potential strength when attempting to balance a game. I've seen many a game where the town think they are doing well and hitting mafia when all of a sudden they are hit by a surprise cult that emerges from the shadows to win the game.

When playing as a cult leader, my advice tends to be to recruit your enemies, reading into the game and who is clicking onto you is vital as often they are also a power role and are much better on your side than against you ;). Normally when someone has their eye on you, they tend not to rest until you are either lynched, dead or have claimed and this poses an issue for a cult leader!

Part of the reason why I do post cult recruitment flavor when I mod my games. Also, the people who are against you could be mafia, so that doesn't always work.
Captain safariguy5

Postby strike wolf on Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:21 pm

I have an interesting topic. Let's say in a theme game or otherwise you are given a character (doc, cop or otherwise) and you have reason to suspect that the character might be paranoid or insane. How do you treat the role?

In the case of a possibly paranoid or insane cop, I don't think you have much choice but to continue on as you would normally until your results from investigations prove otherwise all the while being cautious but not overly so in pursuing any guilty results.

As far as doc, i think it depends on whether you think you may be paranoid or insane. IF you think you are insane then caution is needed the problem...you may just be a regular doc and your absence from the game could prove fatal. If you think you might be paranoid, I would say it's best to keep your actions where you would normally send them until you have reasonable proof that you are indeed paranoid in which case you should proceed in treating the role like a jailkeeper.

I think though in all these situations it's important not to over think. Don't question the sanity or paranoia of every character you see as overthinking will probably convince you that you are.

Cadet strike wolf

Postby safariguy5 on Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:10 pm

strike wolf wrote:I have an interesting topic. Let's say in a theme game or otherwise you are given a character (doc, cop or otherwise) and you have reason to suspect that the character might be paranoid or insane. How do you treat the role?

In the case of a possibly paranoid or insane cop, I don't think you have much choice but to continue on as you would normally until your results from investigations prove otherwise all the while being cautious but not overly so in pursuing any guilty results.

As far as doc, i think it depends on whether you think you may be paranoid or insane. IF you think you are insane then caution is needed the problem...you may just be a regular doc and your absence from the game could prove fatal. If you think you might be paranoid, I would say it's best to keep your actions where you would normally send them until you have reasonable proof that you are indeed paranoid in which case you should proceed in treating the role like a jailkeeper.

I think though in all these situations it's important not to over think. Don't question the sanity or paranoia of every character you see as overthinking will probably convince you that you are.

Sanity cops are much more common than sanity docs. That said, if there is another sanity version of your role, you might be insane or paranoid. Another good tipoff is if there are other investigative or protective roles other than yourself, because a mod will usually put more than one less powerful power roles to keep game balance.
Captain safariguy5

Previous

Return to Mafia Discussions