Conquer Club

Strategy Talk! Current Topic: Paranoia

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Strategy Talk! Current Topic: Paranoia

Postby pancakemix on Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:28 pm

Within Mafia, there are givens about how to play a certain role which can sometimes be taken for granted by us veterans. We know these roles work, but someone who's new to the game is at best going to be working on flawed logic and at worst constantly shooting in the dark. And then there are those times when we make bad decisions. It happens to all of us, and it happens because we're human. That said, I got the notion in my head to actually discuss strategy rather than just leaving it floating out in space. I believe that actually talking strategy rather than just playing it out is beneficial to both vets and newcomers.

Let's start by discussing a basic power role: the cop. It's in pretty much every game, and it is very powerful. It can detect who scum are, which is probably the most important thing any role in Mafia can do. A role of that magnitude shouldn't be allowed to be taken lightly, so please, post away! Post relevant, non-ongoing experiences here as well if you think it will help contribute.

Also, please nominate more topics for discussion. It can range from roles to situations to anything game relevant you can think of.
Last edited by pancakemix on Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Re: Strategy Talk! Current Topic: The Cop

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:05 am

Do cops detect if a person is 3rd-party?
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby Fircoal on Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:08 am

DoomYoshi wrote:Do cops detect if a person is 3rd-party?

Depends on mod.
Vote: Mandy
Eddie35: hi everyone
Serbia: YOU IDIOT! What is THAT supposed to be? Are you even TRYING to play this game?! Kill the idiot NOW please!
Skoffin wrote: So um.. er... I'll be honest, I don't know what the f*ck to do from here. Goddamnit chu.
Captain Fircoal

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:58 am

yes, cops are very important roles. When, if ever, should a cop claim when not pressured by votes on him?
Another topic for discussion would be how to best defend one's self from an accusation.
Yet another: laying low vs. submarining.
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to defeat all evil. -Ephesians 6 KJV

My Smiley: ( :) ) --- it's got SHIELDS!

everywhere116 wrote:You da man! Well, not really, because we're colorful ponies, but you get the idea.
Sergeant shieldgenerator7

Postby pancakemix on Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:16 pm

Fircoal wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:Do cops detect if a person is 3rd-party?

Depends on mod.

But if it's inherently ani-town I'd think they would tell.

shieldgenerator7 wrote: When, if ever, should a cop claim when not pressured by votes on him?

If the cop finds scum and there are protective roles around, it's a good idea to claim. The cop can also try to find in-thread evidence and subtly try to get the scum lynched, but that's not as common, I think.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

Postby ga7 on Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:26 pm

I think the first thing to do when you're cop is to check if the mod has an history of adding cops with varying sanities in their games :P
Else without pressure you should claim after you have a scum result when you're fairly sure of your sanity. Anyhow, there can be of course other cases that depend widely on when does the situation come up in the game. If you feel you're close to LyLo and you got some innocent results still alive it could be a good idea to claim for instance. And don't forget that on top of possible sanity issues there's almost always a godfather that can screw your results. I'd say cop is one of those roles that are in theory very powerful but self-balanced as it can as easily screw the town as winning it alone.
Anarkistsdream wrote:If you guys can't tell that Doom is being forced to post this drivel, you are fools...
Lieutenant ga7

Postby strike wolf on Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:28 pm

Don't get lynched. ;)

Note: this isn't a shot against anyone. I've only seen one case where the cop was lynched and I do not feel it was his fault.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:27 pm

strike wolf wrote:Don't get lynched. ;)

Note: this isn't a shot against anyone. I've only seen one case where the cop was lynched and I do not feel it was his fault.

*cough* colton *cough* :P
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby strike wolf on Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:30 pm

When did colton get lynched as the cop again? I'm not sure I was in that game.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Cadet strike wolf

Postby TheSaxlad on Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:31 pm

Was that the "Flying pumpkin who shoots laser beams out of its ass" incident?
Image Caution: playing team games with TheSaxlad can lead to shortness of breath, high blood pressure and other-stress related illnesses!

Visit CC on Facebook and Twitter!
Corporal TheSaxlad

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:36 pm

strike wolf wrote:When did colton get lynched as the cop again? I'm not sure I was in that game.

My first NV. I don't believe you were. He was lynched Day 1 :lol:
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:40 pm

I've grown to really dislike the cop role in general, both playing as it and playing against it. Too many times have I been investigated night 1 as scum and lynched. (Rolegift mafia and POTC to name a couple) This might be that I am naturally intimidating with mafia expertise [/sarcasm] and so attract investigations a lot, or maybe I'm just unlucky. :lol: Either way, it usually makes the game rather annoying for scum when they can't even defend themselves.

As for playing the cop, I dislike it because I then feel like I have to lay low. I can't pursue certain players too much or else it might attract attention to me. Just sending in names to investigate and recieving results isn't fun to me. I like to chase trails of scumtells and loose bits of information, which is something I can't do when the town is relying on me to provide them with easy lynches.

So instead of providing strategy, I'm gonna say that all mafia games should have nerfed cops. Thats just my opinion though.
pmchugh wrote:If I wasn't lazy, I would sig that :lol:
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:11 pm

Mr. Squirrel wrote:I've grown to really dislike the cop role in general, both playing as it and playing against it. Too many times have I been investigated night 1 as scum and lynched. (Rolegift mafia and POTC to name a couple) This might be that I am naturally intimidating with mafia expertise [/sarcasm] and so attract investigations a lot, or maybe I'm just unlucky. :lol: Either way, it usually makes the game rather annoying for scum when they can't even defend themselves.

As for playing the cop, I dislike it because I then feel like I have to lay low. I can't pursue certain players too much or else it might attract attention to me. Just sending in names to investigate and recieving results isn't fun to me. I like to chase trails of scumtells and loose bits of information, which is something I can't do when the town is relying on me to provide them with easy lynches.

So instead of providing strategy, I'm gonna say that all mafia games should have nerfed cops. Thats just my opinion though.

*Agrees with Mr. S.*

*Remembers being a godfather and being found by a cop*

*frowns* :P
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Commander9 on Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:15 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:*Agrees with Mr. S.*

*Remembers being a godfather and being found by a cop*

*frowns* :P

Then you should have been less suspicious :lol:

I might post something later, but still got to finish a couple of other posts.
But... It was so artistically done.
Lieutenant Commander9

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:23 pm

Commander9 wrote:Then you should have been less suspicious :lol:

I might post something later, but still got to finish a couple of other posts.

godfathers are supposed to act suspicious, so they can be cleared by the cop.

*frowns some more*

:p
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Commander9 on Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:41 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:godfathers are supposed to act suspicious, so they can be cleared by the cop.

*frowns some more*

:p

Not if they can be investigated ;)
But... It was so artistically done.
Lieutenant Commander9

Postby safariguy5 on Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:56 pm

On the topic of cop claiming, there is a strategy called "follow the cop" that basically has the cop claim and then have the doc protect him every night until they root out all the scum. Tends to work best in smaller games with VT's. Also, is considered something of a beginner strategy as once the doc is dead, the cop can expect to die the next night, leaving town without it's power roles.
Captain safariguy5

Postby pancakemix on Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:47 pm

safariguy5 wrote:On the topic of cop claiming, there is a strategy called "follow the cop" that basically has the cop claim and then have the doc protect him every night until they root out all the scum. Tends to work best in smaller games with VT's. Also, is considered something of a beginner strategy as once the doc is dead, the cop can expect to die the next night, leaving town without it's power roles.

This also assumes there's a doc. Sometimes there isn't, and if the cop claims without protection, he's pretty much toast.
Epic Win

Postby strike wolf on Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:52 pm

To be honest with the exception of the one time I played doc in the buffy game I rarely have role related strategies but I do agree that claiming cop too early can be disasterous.

Cadet strike wolf

Postby Rodion on Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:06 pm

strike wolf wrote:Don't get lynched. ;)

A cop was lynched on the first game I played. :twisted:
General Rodion

Postby spiesr on Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:32 pm

pancakemix wrote:This also assumes there's a doc. Sometimes there isn't, and if the cop claims without protection, he's pretty much toast.
Although, unless the mafia actually know that there isn't a doc the whole thing falls into WIFOM territory. As the mafia might not want to "waste" their kill targeting a player they think will have protection...
Captain spiesr

Postby Streaker on Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:28 am

What about godfather role?
I recently got my first mafia-party role, and i was thrown into godfather. No idea how to play it, but at night i was given a few pointers.

How do you really play this one to the max?
First Tournament Victory: Game 6518858

Image[/quote]
Captain Streaker

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:28 am

Streaker wrote:What about godfather role?
I recently got my first mafia-party role, and i was thrown into godfather. No idea how to play it, but at night i was given a few pointers.

hopefully this ins't in one of your current games? ;)
I got that role as my first mafia role too! I just collaborated with my team on who to kill and they played it out from there. My biggest problem was trying to keep myself from seeming scummy.
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to defeat all evil. -Ephesians 6 KJV

My Smiley: ( :) ) --- it's got SHIELDS!

everywhere116 wrote:You da man! Well, not really, because we're colorful ponies, but you get the idea.
Sergeant shieldgenerator7

Postby Streaker on Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:32 am

shieldgenerator7 wrote:
Streaker wrote:What about godfather role?

hopefully this ins't in one of your current games? ;)
I got that role as my first mafia role too! I just collaborated with my team on who to kill and they played it out from there. My biggest problem was trying to keep myself from seeming scummy.

Lol. PoTC mafia. I got sold out, the entire mafia got sold out, by another player. That game is living up to the movies though, confusion and betrayal everywhere.
First Tournament Victory: Game 6518858

Image[/quote]
Captain Streaker

Postby got tonkaed on Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:32 am

I don't know that there was much you could have done about that one to be honest. I've always seemed to find that in games with traitors, the groups have a really low success rate at figuring out the danger.
Cadet got tonkaed

Next

Return to Mafia Discussions