Conquer Club

Play the Player or Play the Role?

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Play the Player or Play the Role?

Postby safariguy5 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:36 pm

Fircoal had an interesting comment about naxus' doctor claim in Firefly. Fircoal asserted that a town power role like a doctor should have played more conservatively and not drawn attention to himself like that. That brought up an interesting question for me, how much of your playstyle each game is dictated by the role and how much is dictated by how you usually play mafia (mannerisms, presentation of cases, etc.)

For me, it depends on a lot of variables including game size, player makeup, mod balance, and phase of game (early being day 1-2, midgame being day 3-5, and endgame being day 5+).

Certain games I'll allow the role to dictate the play a lot more, but most games I try to play how I usually play.

I'd say its 85:15 standard play versus tailoring play to my role.
Captain safariguy5

Re: Play the Player or Play the Role?

Postby Rodion on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:41 pm

I think that point falls on WIFOM: if someone is usually agressive and he gets a doctor role, won't the mafia suspect he's the doctor if he starts to play more conservatively? That considered, shouldn't he play like he always does?
General Rodion

Postby Commander9 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:46 pm

Definitely an interesting to discuss. Normally, I barely pay attention to the role as I have already developed my style that suits me well and is enjoyable and flexible enough to test new things with it as well. Some roles do tend to change the gameplay a bit, however - if I'm unlynchable, I will be as aggressive as I can and I will assert myself straight away as I will have absolutely no fear and I will know that I can play with the way I feel comfortable. If I am a vanilla townie, I will try to get as much attention and pressure as I can as well so regular power roles could stay a bit back while I mainly use deduction to at least attempt to figure who are scum.

All in all, I think most of the players don't change their gameplay too much due to their roles, although some do that more than others. Generally, I'd say that I play 95% due to my gameplay and 5% at most depending on the role.

I also think the title is a bit misleading as at first I thought you were talking about roleplay.
But... It was so artistically done.
Lieutenant Commander9

Postby strike wolf on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:48 pm

I can honestly say the only role I have ever tried to tailor my play to fit I wasn't far from getting lynched (buffy-doc). I tried to play more conservative and mandy called me out on it. So not a huge fan of it. Now I do take time to consider what I should try doing as each role very slightly which can alter game play somewhat but not to the extent where it is usually noticeable.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby pancakemix on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:50 pm

Depends on the role. I know some people play more aggressively when they pull unlynchable. I never have, but I figure I'd probably be aggressive too.

Generally though, I tend to put role (and even alignment) aside until night. I look for people who act scummy/do things that can be interpreted as scummy and make cases on them. That actually backfired on me in Platoon when I lead a case on Spiesr not remembering that he was my faction leader. :lol:

Personally, I think if the player's good enough/respected enough, they wouldn't bother playing the role. They'd be difficult to read as playing a particular role. Like if someone who's usually aggressive is the doc and they're being aggressive, people will say "That's just X being X" or whoever.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby safariguy5 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:44 am

Commander9 wrote:Definitely an interesting to discuss. Normally, I barely pay attention to the role as I have already developed my style that suits me well and is enjoyable and flexible enough to test new things with it as well. Some roles do tend to change the gameplay a bit, however - if I'm unlynchable, I will be as aggressive as I can and I will assert myself straight away as I will have absolutely no fear and I will know that I can play with the way I feel comfortable. If I am a vanilla townie, I will try to get as much attention and pressure as I can as well so regular power roles could stay a bit back while I mainly use deduction to at least attempt to figure who are scum.

All in all, I think most of the players don't change their gameplay too much due to their roles, although some do that more than others. Generally, I'd say that I play 95% due to my gameplay and 5% at most depending on the role.

I also think the title is a bit misleading as at first I thought you were talking about roleplay.

Agreed, it is a bit confusing, but you don't have to talk only about how you play.

I feel I should elaborate a bit on the basis of the argument.

In Sweeney Todd (for those who played it), I was a hated cop who was town, but would lose my investigative abilities if I got an innocent result.

Also, my character made it extremely clear which characters would be mafia.

Knowing that an early investigation would probably result in an innocent result and resulting conversion into a VT, I decided to press hard on Day 1, more aggressively than I usually play, and try to figure out who would be a good investigation target and who seemed to be town.

Using that, I managed to find edoc on Night 1, and town eventually won (after I had cleared another person).

I feel that if I had played my standard, I wouldn't have gotten a good idea of who would be a good investigation target, especially night 1.

So if you see someone else act differently in a game, how much stock would you put in that as indicative of town power role/VT/mafia/cult/Sker/survivor?
Captain safariguy5

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:02 am

I haven't played all that many games and so haven't had all that many cool roles. So far I've been Mafia GF, Bodyguard, Thief, Vig (albeit crazy and unsuccessful), Lover, Non-town cop, and sextuplet voter, plus some others that I can't say as of right now.

I'd say my change in play between these roles is rather due to increasing experience as of yet rather than my role. Though I must admit if I got a bulletproof I probably would go and be mre aggressive.
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to defeat all evil. -Ephesians 6 KJV

My Smiley: ( :) ) --- it's got SHIELDS!

everywhere116 wrote:You da man! Well, not really, because we're colorful ponies, but you get the idea.
Sergeant shieldgenerator7

Postby naxus on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:55 pm

safariguy5 wrote:Fircoal had an interesting comment about naxus' doctor claim in Firefly.

I was trying to do my usual and lay somewhat low until I had cases/evidence to go on, but I got called out and then Fircoal railed on me twisting everything I said.

That being said, I usually dont tailor my playstyle unless its super important role
Haggis_McMutton wrote:2. Anyone else find it kind of funny that naxus is NK'd right after insisting that we're all paranoid?
Corporal 1st Class naxus

Postby pancakemix on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:15 pm

Something to add: As I said, the role you draw can drastically change how you play, it just has to be the right one. Example: Edoc in POTC. He had town by the balls for days just by the way he played his role, and that was only possible because he stood to gain from selling out the mafia.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:37 pm

I feel like I play my role a lot. My actions in game are usually about 50% determined by my role. I always change my gameplay so that I can get the most use out of my role. If I am a godfather, I will be very aggressive and try to rally a large group of townies behind me, but if I'm a goon I will try to sabotage subtly and support our leader from the background. As a doctor I will be conservative and try to use my powers on those who contribute most to the town and who has been most correct on the scum readings (not necessarily who has the strongest role ;) ). My role determines greatly how I post and act in game.
pmchugh wrote:If I wasn't lazy, I would sig that :lol:
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby Talapus on Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:02 pm

For this it all depends on the way others percieve you in the game. In the large simsons game where I won SK I picked one player each day to "go along with" or agree with throughout the game. By the end I was percieved as town and won, it was close, but won it. I Bad poets I had Mandy convinced early on and was able to get away with almost anything while still winning the game for scum. However there are other times where regardless you are screwed. All really depends on the player base more then anything I think. If you are a protown power role I usually keep quite until it either A gets safer to tell others what you know, or B realize the town or scum are headed your way and spill the beans before you hang. So ya, all depends I guess.
DoomYoshi wrote:
vote talapus

You lying sack of cunt!
Corporal Talapus

Postby lalaland on Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:27 pm

Generally, I try to forget my role PM as soon as I read it, at least for the days, and always play as if I were vanilla townie.
I worship the dice gods
Image Image
Private 1st Class lalaland

Return to Mafia Discussions