Conquer Club

Night scenes

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Night scenes

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:04 pm

How much should a mod reveal about the night actions in the day scene? I've noticed that some mods reveal a lot (see saxlad's official game for a good example) while others reveal little to nothing (this is what I do). Which is more proper for a mod?

Personally, I think that revealing information to the masses is detrimental to the game as a whole. For my night scenes, I try to reveal as little as possible and instead fill the scene with a lot of flavor (e.g. include dialogue of characters, setting, descriptions, etc.). To me, the scenes should be just a story representation of the actions that the players themselves can already see. For examples of this, you can look up my scenes in the briarsburg game. I think those were my best yet.

Also, none of my games has ever included a cult (so I have no experience in this), but I am very opposed to the cult appearing in any scene whatsoever unless the town has already confirmed that there is a cult (by killing one). A cult faction is supposed to stealthily keep itself hidden from the town's knowledge for as long as possible. When the mod comes out and says in the scene "By the way, the cult recruited someone last night," then you are hurting the cult's chances at winning and ruining the surprise for the town.
pmchugh wrote:If I wasn't lazy, I would sig that :lol:
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Re: Night scenes

Postby safariguy5 on Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:18 am

I disagree on the keeping mum about cult thing. My reasoning being that we don't know there is an SKer in a game, but his existence is made known by killing someone night 1. Are we reducing his chances of winning?

As long as we don't reveal details about the cult, I see no problem with revealing a recruitment as long as it's not obvious who it is.
Captain safariguy5

Postby pancakemix on Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:33 am

Only kills for me. How much I reveal depends on how much I feel like involving the flavor. Nolan's a good example of me including quite a bit, but still completely disguising who was attacked (Night 3 scene or something like that is what I'm referring to).
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby Fircoal on Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:45 am

I think it all depends. I usually like to keep quiet about all the behind the scenes stuff though. There are a couple of times where I'll break this (everyone targeting Tonka PGO), but usually I won't. Makes it more interesting if no one knows anything. Besides we're here to play mafia, not read a bunch of night scenes (Batman Mafia >w>)
Vote: Mandy
Eddie35: hi everyone
Serbia: YOU IDIOT! What is THAT supposed to be? Are you even TRYING to play this game?! Kill the idiot NOW please!
Skoffin wrote: So um.. er... I'll be honest, I don't know what the f*ck to do from here. Goddamnit chu.
Captain Fircoal

Postby Commander9 on Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:54 pm

Personally, I believe that night scenes should not include some flavour, but hints as well. I never downright reveal the information, but I like to drop the hints (sometimes misleading or intentionally complex), so the game would have more depth and various alternatives. I feel that as long as you don't reveal too much, night scenes can be very useful not only for flavour, but for some information as well.
But... It was so artistically done.
Lieutenant Commander9

Postby Talapus on Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:58 pm

I will say anytime I do a large theme game I post quite a bit in my night scenes. But to be fair a lot of what is posted only really matters to certain playerss. Obviously don't spell it out for everyone in the game, but anytime there is a lot going on clues help others figure out what they should be looking at. In Batman I actually listed all the night actions each night but did it in a way that the players had to guess the charactersto go with the actions. In Grimm's I did the same so people could narrow down which fairytales were used. And in Clue right now, well come on, it's CLUE. What else would you have to go off of...lol
DoomYoshi wrote:
vote talapus

You lying sack of cunt!
Corporal Talapus

Postby Fircoal on Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:04 pm

Talapus wrote:In Batman I actually listed all the night actions each night but did it in a way that the players had to guess the charactersto go with the actions.

And that was half of the discussion in that game. >w>
Serbia: YOU IDIOT! What is THAT supposed to be? Are you even TRYING to play this game?! Kill the idiot NOW please!
Skoffin wrote: So um.. er... I'll be honest, I don't know what the f*ck to do from here. Goddamnit chu.
Captain Fircoal

Postby Talapus on Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:06 pm

Fircoal wrote:
Talapus wrote:In Batman I actually listed all the night actions each night but did it in a way that the players had to guess the charactersto go with the actions.

LOL, I forgot how much you hated those long posts.....lol
DoomYoshi wrote:
vote talapus

You lying sack of cunt!
Corporal Talapus

Postby Fircoal on Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:07 pm

Talapus wrote:
Fircoal wrote:

LOL, I forgot how much you hated those long posts.....lol

[quote="Fircoal"]I think it all depends. I usually like to keep quiet about all the behind the scenes stuff though. There are a couple of times where I'll break this (everyone targeting Tonka PGO), but usually I won't. Makes it more interesting if no one knows anything. Besides we're here to play mafia, not read a bunch of night scenes (Batman Mafia >w>)[/quote

Vote: Talapus

SKIMMAR!
Captain Fircoal

Postby Rodion on Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:09 pm

Link to that game?
General Rodion

Postby Talapus on Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:40 pm

Rodion wrote:Link to that game?

LOL, want to read about chu whining about a day scene huh??? Here ya go man:

viewtopic.php?f=610&t=21141&hilit=Gotham+wins
DoomYoshi wrote:
vote talapus

You lying sack of cunt!
Corporal Talapus

Postby strike wolf on Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:41 pm

I think a lot of it has to do with theme. For one thing if it is already obvious who would be mafia in a certain game (say Raiders of the Lost Ark mafia nazis are obvious) I don't think it really hurts to make it obvious they made the kill, if it's a bit more mysterious than less should be revealed unless you want to tip off the town. In my Dexter mafia I was trying to make it fairly obvious to anyone who had seen season 1 that the Ice Truck Killer was in the game but also gave up too much information on Nag's character in a night scene (sorry nag...that was an excellent fake claim though to almost pull it off). As far as cult, well I would like to keep cult hidden if I ever used them but I don't see a problem with showing them but it probably should never be blatant who or what role was recruited.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Return to Mafia Discussions