Conquer Club

Night actions question

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Night actions question

Postby lalaland on Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:13 pm

Say there are two roleblockers in a game, a mafia roleblocker (Mrb) and a town roleblocker (Trb)
For the purpose of this there is also a Cop in the game.

If Trb targets Mrb, and Mrb targets Cop, what happens?
Whose block takes precedence?

Another scenario:
There is a Mrb, Trb, Town Jailkeeper

Mrb targets Cop
Jailkeeper targets Trb
Trb targets Mrb
Mafia Godfather tries to kill Trb.

If Jailkeep takes precedence, then Trb doesn't die but Cop is roleblocked.
If Trb takes precedence, Cop investigates and Trb dies.
If Mrb takes precedence, Cop does not investigate, and ...

I'm confused.

Or should more than one roleblocker just not be in a game :D
I worship the dice gods
Image Image
Private 1st Class lalaland

Re: Night actions question

Postby pancakemix on Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:40 pm

lalaland wrote:Say there are two roleblockers in a game, a mafia roleblocker (Mrb) and a town roleblocker (Trb)
For the purpose of this there is also a Cop in the game.

If Trb targets Mrb, and Mrb targets Cop, what happens?
Whose block takes precedence?

The blockers' actions resolve simultaneously (if you'll forgive the Magic: The Gathering terminology). If Trb didn't exist, Cop would be blocked by Mrb, but since Trb prevents Mrb from performing his/her action, Mrb does nothing. Cop resolves afterward, and his investigation goes through.

Another scenario:
There is a Mrb, Trb, Town Jailkeeper

Mrb targets Cop
Jailkeeper targets Trb
Trb targets Mrb
Mafia Godfather tries to kill Trb.

If Jailkeep takes precedence, then Trb doesn't die but Cop is roleblocked.
If Trb takes precedence, Cop investigates and Trb dies.
If Mrb takes precedence, Cop does not investigate, and ...

I'm confused.

Or should more than one roleblocker just not be in a game :D

Again, the blocks resolve first. Jailkeeper-->Trb-->Mrb-->Cop.

Jailkeeper blocks Trb, So it's as if that middle link doesn't exist. Jailkeeper-->Trb Mrb-->Cop. So cop is blocked.

Protections come next. Trb is protected.

Lastly, everything else. Cop is blocked, so nothing happens. Trb is protected from Mgf, so nothing there either.

Hope this helps. And yes, if you want to avoid complex situations like this, less blockers would be good. :D
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby strike wolf on Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:13 pm

The one that always made me think was if a role blocker targets a bus driver who drove himself with another role. I've kind of come to the conclusion there that the block takes priority so no busdrive takes place. If a role blocker targets someone who is busdriven with the busdriver then nothing happens because you can't say the busdriver was blocked so no bus drive took place and the intended role was blocked so no other subsequent actions should apply as if the bus driver didn't do anything.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:35 pm

strike wolf wrote:The one that always made me think was if a role blocker targets a bus driver who drove himself with another role. I've kind of come to the conclusion there that the block takes priority so no busdrive takes place. If a role blocker targets someone who is busdriven with the busdriver then nothing happens because you can't say the busdriver was blocked so no bus drive took place and the intended role was blocked so no other subsequent actions should apply as if the bus driver didn't do anything.

That one is confusing.... :-s

I hope that never happens to me :lol:
pmchugh wrote:If I wasn't lazy, I would sig that :lol:
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby strike wolf on Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:44 pm

It happened in my Dexter mafia. Aage busdrove himself with edocsil. Commander (a modified jailkeeper role) targeted edoc and was redirected to aage causing me to ponder for a while how it should play out.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Cadet strike wolf

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:16 pm

if the roleblocker targets the target of a busdriver who busdrove himself and the target, I'd say first the busdrive takes place, and then the roleblock... whichs means that the roleblock goes to the busdriver, but it's already happened, so no one gets roleblocked (except the roleblocker, in an odd sort of way)
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to defeat all evil. -Ephesians 6 KJV

My Smiley: ( :) ) --- it's got SHIELDS!

everywhere116 wrote:You da man! Well, not really, because we're colorful ponies, but you get the idea.
Sergeant shieldgenerator7

Postby Talapus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:53 pm

strike wolf wrote:The one that always made me think was if a role blocker targets a bus driver who drove himself with another role. I've kind of come to the conclusion there that the block takes priority so no busdrive takes place. If a role blocker targets someone who is busdriven with the busdriver then nothing happens because you can't say the busdriver was blocked so no bus drive took place and the intended role was blocked so no other subsequent actions should apply as if the bus driver didn't do anything.

I had issues in Batman mafia like this happen. I just posted that actions throughout the night would play out in the order in which they were recieved. Solved all my problems. However I had it stated in the game thread. I certainly don't do it in all games.
DoomYoshi wrote:
vote talapus

You lying sack of cunt!
Corporal Talapus

Postby lalaland on Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:11 pm

Talapus wrote:

I had issues in Batman mafia like this happen. I just posted that actions throughout the night would play out in the order in which they were recieved. Solved all my problems. However I had it stated in the game thread. I certainly don't do it in all games.

I took actions as they came in a RT mafia a couple weeks ago, and was accused of bastard modding. So.
I worship the dice gods
Image Image
Private 1st Class lalaland

Postby Fircoal on Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:13 pm

lalaland wrote:
Talapus wrote:

I took actions as they came in a RT mafia a couple weeks ago, and was accused of bastard modding. So.

That's cause people don't like it. Puts too much benefit to those who are on more and have faster connections.
Vote: Mandy
Eddie35: hi everyone
Serbia: YOU IDIOT! What is THAT supposed to be? Are you even TRYING to play this game?! Kill the idiot NOW please!
Skoffin wrote: So um.. er... I'll be honest, I don't know what the f*ck to do from here. Goddamnit chu.
Captain Fircoal

Postby Iliad on Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:34 pm

The most confusing sequence of actions in my games was in buffy.

Strike was Giles, a doctor
Mandy was Buffy, vig
Edoc was Trick Mafia Roleblocker
Fircoal was Faith, carrying out mafia kill
And Streaker was Amy a busdriver.

Edoc Roleblocked Mandy
Fircoal tried to kill strike
Strike was protecting Mandy
Mandy was trying to kill edoc
This would be fairly simple, mafia negates the town vig and kills the town doc. But then this happened

Streaker busdrove strike and edoc

Which meant that Fircoal was trying to kill his scummate edoc
Mandy was trying to kill the town doctor, strike, but was blocked by the mafia roleblocker

Which meant that the town vig nearly killed the town doctor, but the mafia roleblocker saved him and scum then killed that roleblocker. Yeah I had to go over that one a few times to make sure that was right.
Private 1st Class Iliad

Postby Fircoal on Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:39 pm

Iliad wrote:The most confusing sequence of actions in my games was in buffy.

Mandy was Buffy, vig

Edoc Roleblocked Mandy
This would be fairly simple, mafia negates the town vig and kills the town doc. But then this happened

Mandy was trying to kill the town doctor, strike, but was blocked by the mafia roleblocker

Which meant that the town vig nearly killed the town doctor, but the mafia roleblocker saved him and scum then killed that roleblocker. Yeah I had to go over that one a few times to make sure that was right.

Can I personally strangle Streaker? >:C
Vote: Mandy
Eddie35: hi everyone
Serbia: YOU IDIOT! What is THAT supposed to be? Are you even TRYING to play this game?! Kill the idiot NOW please!
Skoffin wrote: So um.. er... I'll be honest, I don't know what the f*ck to do from here. Goddamnit chu.
Captain Fircoal

Postby strike wolf on Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:56 pm

Fircoal wrote:
Iliad wrote:The most confusing sequence of actions in my games was in buffy.

Mandy was Buffy, vig

Edoc Roleblocked Mandy

Can I personally strangle Streaker? >:C

Can I personally shake edoc's hand?

Cadet strike wolf

Postby safariguy5 on Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:56 am

Good thing I haven't had this problem.

About the most interesting thing that has happened was in Modern Warfare where the mafia framer framed someone who was busdriven with the mafia godfather. The cop happened to be investigating the mafia godfather that night too.

I think strike was the godfather too.
Captain safariguy5

Postby Rodion on Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:03 am

What happens if 2 recruiters target the same person?
General Rodion

Postby pancakemix on Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:22 am

1. Coin Flip
2. Both fail, no penalty.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:47 pm

I haven't much experience with this but some these complex situations sound like it would be easier to look at graphically rather than textually
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to defeat all evil. -Ephesians 6 KJV

My Smiley: ( :) ) --- it's got SHIELDS!

everywhere116 wrote:You da man! Well, not really, because we're colorful ponies, but you get the idea.
Sergeant shieldgenerator7

Postby Iliad on Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:08 pm

Rodion wrote:What happens if 2 recruiters target the same person?

I would probably do either
1. Both fail and negate each other
2. Or he's recruited into both, and can swing either way. Though this could be a little unbalanced since he can just rat out an entire cult. Depends on the nature of recruiting then I guess
Private 1st Class Iliad

Return to Mafia Discussions