Conquer Club

Chap's Mafia

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Chap's Mafia

Postby chapcrap on Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:37 pm

Ok, I have been playing in multiple games now and end up getting killed by day 3 usually, but that's not important. What's important is that I want to make a game, but I thought I'd discuss a little bit before I made it so that I don't screw up my first time.

I currently have 2 different ideas for games.

1. NCIS Mafia. Themed off of the CBS TV show.
2.Bizarro Mafia. There would actually start out with more mafia than town. Not sure of the ratio. Probably about exactly opposite of the normal ratio. But, the mafia would not speak at night. The town would speak at and know who each other are. They would try to figure out how to get the mafia to lynch each other. Lynches would be made manditory, so mafia can't just hold out and NK.

I will run them both eventually, but which do you think would be best for my first time? And please do not hesitate to critique me or give suggestions.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Re: Chap's Mafia

Postby Rodion on Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:40 pm

Bizarro Mafia looks extremely interesting, but it should be a hard game to balance, so NCIS is your best best as far as getting started.
General Rodion

Postby MoB Deadly on Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:48 pm

Yeah, exactly what Rodion said. I would join both! Im actually trying to wrap my head around bizzaro mafia, trying to think of a strategy to play, and it would be tough!!
Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal MoB Deadly

Postby safariguy5 on Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:21 am

Yeah, NCIS looks good. You might wanna consider getting a co mod to help with the balance and the VC's and stuff.

Or maybe run it C9?
Captain safariguy5

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:56 am

sounds fun! I'd probabnly want in on both
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to defeat all evil. -Ephesians 6 KJV

My Smiley: ( :) ) --- it's got SHIELDS!

everywhere116 wrote:You da man! Well, not really, because we're colorful ponies, but you get the idea.
Sergeant shieldgenerator7

Postby strike wolf on Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:46 am

Rodion wrote:Bizarro Mafia looks extremely interesting, but it should be a hard game to balance, so NCIS is your best best as far as getting started.

Agreeing with rodion. The bizzaro mafia seems quite difficult to balance and how to determine kills. (Would each mafia individually determine who to kill and the one with the most votes is killed?) I would save that one for well down the road. I would probably run the NCIS as a C9 for your first one or find a co-mod (note. I'm on the verge of starting Actors Mafia so I don't feel I would have the time to co-mod myself).
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:26 pm

Chap wrote:2.Bizarro Mafia. There would actually start out with more mafia than town. Not sure of the ratio. Probably about exactly opposite of the normal ratio. But, the mafia would not speak at night. The town would speak at and know who each other are. They would try to figure out how to get the mafia to lynch each other. Lynches would be made manditory, so mafia can't just hold out and NK.

So basically this would be a regular mafia game with a town vig?

-Tails
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:25 pm

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:
Chap wrote:2.Bizarro Mafia. There would actually start out with more mafia than town. Not sure of the ratio. Probably about exactly opposite of the normal ratio. But, the mafia would not speak at night. The town would speak at and know who each other are. They would try to figure out how to get the mafia to lynch each other. Lynches would be made manditory, so mafia can't just hold out and NK.

So basically this would be a regular mafia game with a town vig?

-Tails

I was thinking the same thing. Its basically a normal town vs. mafia setup but you've taken away the Mafia's NK.
pmchugh wrote:If I wasn't lazy, I would sig that :lol:
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby MoB Deadly on Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:32 pm

no there are still NKs if I am reading it correctly, but they all cast a vote maybe?
Corporal MoB Deadly

Postby safariguy5 on Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:36 pm

MoB Deadly wrote:no there are still NKs if I am reading it correctly, but they all cast a vote maybe?

No, it looks like town have no nightkills.
Captain safariguy5

Postby MoB Deadly on Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:41 pm

chapcrap wrote: Lynches would be made manditory, so mafia can't just hold out and NK.

Mr. Squirrel wrote:I was thinking the same thing. Its basically a normal town vs. mafia setup but you've taken away the Mafia's NK.

Oh, thought u were talking about mafia
Corporal MoB Deadly

Postby chapcrap on Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:38 pm

Many roles would still be the same. The main differences are the mafia/town ratio and the mason abilities. I don't want to reveal entire setup, but town could have vig. Third parties available. Multiple roles available for both sides. I'm not sure if it will work yet, because I haven't fully developed it.

The concept is that of a larger mafia and smaller town and the mafia is not not masoned.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby strike wolf on Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:01 pm

chapcrap wrote:Many roles would still be the same. The main differences are the mafia/town ratio and the mason abilities. I don't want to reveal entire setup, but town could have vig. Third parties available. Multiple roles available for both sides. I'm not sure if it will work yet, because I haven't fully developed it.

The concept is that of a larger mafia and smaller town and the mafia is not not masoned.

If you give the town a nk in this situation. They would basically become the mafia (especially considering in this set up the cop would be near useless in terms of town but perfect for mafia).
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:39 am

chapcrap wrote:The concept is that of a larger mafia and smaller town and the mafia is not not masoned.

Check out this game. Its the same thing as what you are describing and it will show you how it would play out (Answer: the same as any other mafia game). Unfortunately the game was abandoned though

If you want to run a game where the roles of town and scum are flipped, then why don't you try this:
1. Have a normal setup with a minority scum, majority town
2. Take away scum's ability to night-talk
3. Give the large town faction the ability to night-talk
4. Have no Night kills on town side
5. Give the godfather complete control over the lynch. All he has to do is post Lynch: Player and the player would be lynched and the day would end.

Town would all have to act like they don't know each other and would be trying to convince the godfather to lynch his own players. The scum would be trying to figure out who is who and convince the godfather that they are actually the true scum. Town would win when all scummies (excluding godfather) is dead. Scum wins when all townies are dead.

Its an idea I was thinking up a few days ago. I'm not trying to say that your idea is a bad one. I'm just suggesting a more radical "flipped town/scum" setup since that seemed like the direction you wanted to go with.
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby safariguy5 on Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:44 pm

Mr. Squirrel wrote:
chapcrap wrote:The concept is that of a larger mafia and smaller town and the mafia is not not masoned.

Check out this game. Its the same thing as what you are describing and it will show you how it would play out (Answer: the same as any other mafia game). Unfortunately the game was abandoned though

If you want to run a game where the roles of town and scum are flipped, then why don't you try this:
5. Give the godfather complete control over the lynch. All he has to do is post Lynch: Player and the player would be lynched and the day would end.

Town would all have to act like they don't know each other and would be trying to convince the godfather to lynch his own players. The scum would be trying to figure out who is who and convince the godfather that they are actually the true scum. Town would win when all scummies (excluding godfather) is dead. Scum wins when all townies are dead.

Its an idea I was thinking up a few days ago. I'm not trying to say that your idea is a bad one. I'm just suggesting a more radical "flipped town/scum" setup since that seemed like the direction you wanted to go with.

I really like that idea Mr. S. If you have all the mafia masoned, unless you have multiple mason groups with some town in them, mafia would easily know who wasn't masoned and lynch them.
Captain safariguy5

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:17 pm

safariguy5 wrote:
Mr. Squirrel wrote:

I really like that idea Mr. S. If you have all the mafia masoned, unless you have multiple mason groups with some town in them, mafia would easily know who wasn't masoned and lynch them.

No mafia members would be masoned (see #2). All townies would be in one large mason group. The game would probably run best with small number of players (probably 11 at most; 7 town, 3 scum, 1 godfather). You would probably also have to cut out almost all night actions entirely (they wouldn't balance correctly). In fact, the only reason you should have a night phase at all is to give the town time to plan and discuss what to do the next day.

I would like to see it run, but I'm too interested in other projects to do it myself so anyone can take it if they want. I can help them balance it, if they need someone.
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby chapcrap on Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:47 pm

That's an interesting idea Squirrel.

In my version, I think I would have a similar role as the Godfather in yours, but because he was town, I was going to call him the Mayor.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby safariguy5 on Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:50 pm

Mr. Squirrel wrote:
safariguy5 wrote:
Mr. Squirrel wrote:

No mafia members would be masoned (see #2). All townies would be in one large mason group. The game would probably run best with small number of players (probably 11 at most; 7 town, 3 scum, 1 godfather). You would probably also have to cut out almost all night actions entirely (they wouldn't balance correctly). In fact, the only reason you should have a night phase at all is to give the town time to plan and discuss what to do the next day.

I would like to see it run, but I'm too interested in other projects to do it myself so anyone can take it if they want. I can help them balance it, if they need someone.

Yeah, I wasn't talking about your game Mr. S, I was talking about chap's original idea. Sorry I didn't clarify that.
Captain safariguy5

Postby chapcrap on Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:53 pm

In mine the mafia would not be masoned saf.

Town would be masoned. There must be a lynch every day. If no lynch occurred by the deadline, then the person with the most votes would be lynched. This rule would have to be in effect to stop mafia from no lynching.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby safariguy5 on Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:58 pm

chapcrap wrote:In mine the mafia would not be masoned saf.

Town would be masoned. There must be a lynch every day. If no lynch occurred by the deadline, then the person with the most votes would be lynched. This rule would have to be in effect to stop mafia from no lynching.

What if nobody voted? Technically then it would go to a random lynch, which benefits mafia for the most part, especially early on.
Captain safariguy5

Postby MoB Deadly on Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:06 pm

safariguy5 wrote:

What if nobody voted? Technically then it would go to a random lynch, which benefits mafia for the most part, especially early on.

random lynch would benefit town as mafia has the majority and dont know who each other are
Corporal MoB Deadly

Postby safariguy5 on Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:10 pm

MoB Deadly wrote:
safariguy5 wrote:

random lynch would benefit town as mafia has the majority and dont know who each other are

Yeah I'm getting confused with the town and mafia switch.
Captain safariguy5

Postby chapcrap on Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:17 pm

MoB Deadly wrote:
safariguy5 wrote:

I agree with MoB, plus, why wouldn't the town vote? I see a few WIFOM arguments coming...
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby safariguy5 on Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:13 pm

chapcrap wrote:
MoB Deadly wrote:
safariguy5 wrote:

I agree with MoB, plus, why wouldn't the town vote? I see a few WIFOM arguments coming...

That's true, but it depends on how you balance the nightkill mechanic. That may determine willingness to vote.
Captain safariguy5

Return to Mafia Discussions