Conquer Club

MoB's Gameplay Changes [Poll]

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Which gameplay changes are you interested in trying?

Last Wills
17%
Ballot Voting
22%
Day PMS
11%
Quicktopic for Mason/Mafia Chat
28%
tldr; kittens
22%

Total votes : 18

MoB's Gameplay Changes [Poll]

Postby MoB Deadly on Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:42 pm

Hey guys I also want a vote on some gameplay changes to see if they interest you.

Last Wills
show

Ballot Votes
show

Day PMs
show

Quicktopic for mason/mafia chat
show

Hmm there was more, I forget now..
Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal MoB Deadly

Re: MoB's Gameplay Changes [Poll]

Postby safariguy5 on Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:59 pm

I chose Ballot Voting (which I think should be renamed Secret Voting).

Last Wills could be gamebreaking, especially if the town investigative roles survive until the late game. I would consider doing it if the Last Wills were restricted to humorous stuff only, but mafia could potentially be very handicapped if town is able to reveal game information.

Potentially could work in a multiple faction game with say 2 mafia factions and maybe an SKer.

Day PM's again, could be gamebreaking. There are Daymason roles, but I could potentially see Day PM's be used by mafia to swing the game against town. Coordinating their voting could endgame early if they manage to coordinate a speedlynch.

And using the Quicktopic is something I have seen mafia players use before. Could work, but in a game like that, the Town Spy is almost guaranteed to be in the game, and he could be used in a super version of Follow the Cop because he's not roleblockable.
Captain safariguy5

Postby MoB Deadly on Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:08 pm

safariguy5 wrote:I chose Ballot Voting (which I think should be renamed Secret Voting).

Last Wills could be gamebreaking, especially if the town investigative roles survive until the late game. I would consider doing it if the Last Wills were restricted to humorous stuff only, but mafia could potentially be very handicapped if town is able to reveal game information.

Potentially could work in a multiple faction game with say 2 mafia factions and maybe an SKer.

Day PM's again, could be gamebreaking. There are Daymason roles, but I could potentially see Day PM's be used by mafia to swing the game against town. Coordinating their voting could endgame early if they manage to coordinate a speedlynch.

And using the Quicktopic is something I have seen mafia players use before. Could work, but in a game like that, the Town Spy is almost guaranteed to be in the game, and he could be used in a super version of Follow the Cop because he's not roleblockable.

Secret Ballots - Yeah I definitely want to do this in the near future. Definitely gives some more mystery and I think a little edge to mafia. Requires a moderator to be more active and give vote counts more often.

Last Wills - I agree could be game breaking. Yeah I remember, they are normally more humorous than informational. And since we are on a thread people can post anyway. Definitely not a big tool.

Day PMs - Yeah the more I think about this, it gives a lot more power to the skilled players in the game. And we like this community open to all. Maybe I will do a test run in a clan mafia before trying it publicly.

Quicktopic - I think I am going to use this more often regardless if there is a spy in the game or not. Like I said above, it allows the moderator to see game progression a little easier, without having to be copied into all PMs amongst the mafia. Also allows them to be published after the game is over.
Corporal MoB Deadly

Postby safariguy5 on Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:41 pm

Well I use the honor system with my mafia players. I trust them not to PM each other during the day and whatnot. Sure, if they want to use a quicktopic, it keeps a good record and allows everyone to see what is what later on, but I'm not going to make it mandatory.

The problem with Town Spy is that he will know the identity of every single mafia member relatively quickly. And unlike the Town Traitor, he has no incentive to keep them alive (because he does not win with them).

And the mafia have no way of keeping him from telling everyone this information. All he has to do Day 1 is claim, ask for doc protection, see who's mafia Night 1 and then tell everyone on Day 2. I suppose a mafia member could counterclaim him and hope that the doc picks the wrong person to protect, but this still means mafia are sacrificing one person right from the beginning of the game. It's not like you can roleblock him to deny him information.
Captain safariguy5

Postby MoB Deadly on Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:49 pm

safariguy5 wrote:The problem with Town Spy is that he will know the identity of every single mafia member relatively quickly.

hmmmmmmmmm good call safari, its supposed to be anonymous. So this would be example chat:

Mafia: Whats the gameplan?
Mafia: I dont like this person
Mafia: Okay lets kill Person A
Mafia: Hey guys whats up?
Mafia: Okay Ill Frame Person C

If they slip up and say their names it could be problems. I will do research and make sure I can make it anonymous.
Corporal MoB Deadly

Postby safariguy5 on Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:54 pm

MoB Deadly wrote:
safariguy5 wrote:The problem with Town Spy is that he will know the identity of every single mafia member relatively quickly.

hmmmmmmmmm good call safari, its supposed to be anonymous. So this would be example chat:

If they slip up and say their names it could be problems. I will do research and make sure I can make it anonymous.

The thing is, I have used the quicktopic before, and you can choose your own username to post there.

So mafia have no idea whether or not there's a town spy. Let's say they're paranoid and they choose like names like Godfather, Goon 1, Goon 2, and Framer. Then they are extra careful and everyone refers to each other by their names (kinda like Reservoir Dogs actually).

The Town Spy still knows a lot of information:

1. How many mafia members there are.
2. What kinds of roles the mafia members have (roleblocker, framer, etc.)
3. Who the mafia members used each of their abilities on (could be important for cop investigations)

This is a lot of information for 1 role to have, especially early on.
Captain safariguy5

Postby MoB Deadly on Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:56 pm

Yeah - I will work on it, thats overpowered.
Corporal MoB Deadly

Postby zimmah on Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:32 pm

kittens rule Image
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby zimmah on Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:15 pm

MoB Deadly wrote:Yeah - I will work on it, thats overpowered.

well, if you just tell the mafia to use nicknames in the mafiachat, then the identity of the mafia can stay secret, but the spy role can still be usefull. the other ideas are also nice.

in fact, i am thinking of hosting a mafia in the near future. i do want to get a co-mod tho to make sure it's balanced. i am going to work on a few original ideas and/or themes and maybe use some succesfull ideas/themes that others have used in the past.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:42 pm

The secret voting sounds interesting, but I would take it one step further. Don't give the number of votes at all. Instead, periodically just announce "Player X has most votes, Player Y is second." This setup would benefit mafia the most, and it would be interesting to see how town copes. To be honest, I'm not even sure if it would work. Town might not be able to scumhunt at all without public declaration of their votes and knowledge of the bandwagons. It would definitely be strange, but a cool experiment nonetheless.
pmchugh wrote:If I wasn't lazy, I would sig that :lol:
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby safariguy5 on Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:51 pm

zimmah wrote:

well, if you just tell the mafia to use nicknames in the mafiachat, then the identity of the mafia can stay secret, but the spy role can still be usefull. the other ideas are also nice.

in fact, i am thinking of hosting a mafia in the near future. i do want to get a co-mod tho to make sure it's balanced. i am going to work on a few original ideas and/or themes and maybe use some succesfull ideas/themes that others have used in the past.

Even with the mafia nicknames, this:
safariguy5 wrote:
MoB Deadly wrote:

The thing is, I have used the quicktopic before, and you can choose your own username to post there.

So mafia have no idea whether or not there's a town spy. Let's say they're paranoid and they choose like names like Godfather, Goon 1, Goon 2, and Framer. Then they are extra careful and everyone refers to each other by their names (kinda like Reservoir Dogs actually).

3. Who the mafia members used each of their abilities on (could be important for cop investigations)

Captain safariguy5

Postby spiesr on Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:37 pm

Mr. Squirrel wrote:The secret voting sounds interesting, but I would take it one step further. Don't give the number of votes at all. Instead, periodically just announce "Player X has most votes, Player Y is second." This setup would benefit mafia the most, and it would be interesting to see how town copes. To be honest, I'm not even sure if it would work. Town might not be able to scumhunt at all without public declaration of their votes and knowledge of the bandwagons. It would definitely be strange, but a cool experiment nonetheless.
They way I see it, if the exact number of votes is made know at all times, it will just lead to a situation will the town will end up requiring everyone to disclose their votes in the thread. Lynching all who refuse or who are caught lying. As such, unless someone does something stupid like a townie lying about their vote for no reason, the game will end up mostly the same a normal expect a little more annoying. Since the mafia, if they are smart, won't risk lying about their votes except maybe at LYLO.
Captain spiesr

Postby zimmah on Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:07 pm

safariguy5 wrote:
zimmah wrote:

safariguy5 wrote:
MoB Deadly wrote:

don't understand your point.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby pancakemix on Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:21 pm

zimmah wrote:
safariguy5 wrote:
zimmah wrote:

safariguy5 wrote:
MoB Deadly wrote:

don't understand your point.

It gives the town a head start on figuring out what they're looking for. Not fair to scum.

EDIT: And by that I mean overly so. Scum have a hard enough time winning as it is, and showing one person their entire hand is just OP.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby safariguy5 on Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:28 am

The really big ones are 2 and 3. Knowing that mafia have a roleblocker/framer, especially if they know who the mafia target is a huge advantage. Basically negates any possible guilty investigation via framing and will be able to help clear townies based on who gets targeted for roleblocks and frames.
Captain safariguy5

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:48 am

A spy could work if the mod gave the spy only random phrases from the nights chat and filtered out usernames and such.

I'm sorry, but i Am not very fond of any of the ideas
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:22 am

Last will sounds kind of cool, but I wouldn't want anonymous voting, or spy role (basically because if I'm mafia I don't want to be bothered by having to go somewhere else to chat with scumbuddies), day PM I am kind of adverse to but I think it would be interesting.
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to defeat all evil. -Ephesians 6 KJV

My Smiley: ( :) ) --- it's got SHIELDS!

everywhere116 wrote:You da man! Well, not really, because we're colorful ponies, but you get the idea.
Sergeant shieldgenerator7

Postby slowreactor on Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:38 am

I'm all for quicktopic AS LONG AS there are no spies. I'm sorry, but that's just extremely gamebreaking, since all spy has to do is spit out the names of all the mafia members after N1 and that would be game.
Colonel slowreactor

Return to Mafia Discussions