Conquer Club

Is everyone here a mafiascum fan?

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Is everyone here a mafiascum fan?

Postby TheGeneral2112 on Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:06 pm

Is this why my FTC/NL/Doc on Cop was treated with such disdain in Squirrel's thread?
Lieutenant TheGeneral2112

Re: Is everyone here a mafiascum fan?

Postby pancakemix on Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:33 am

TheGeneral2112 wrote:Is this why my FTC/NL/Doc on Cop was treated with such disdain in Squirrel's thread?

Our variant of the game is drawn from the Mafiascum school, yes. But the consensus is their games suck.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby Commander9 on Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:38 am

pancakemix wrote:Our variant of the game is drawn from the Mafiascum school, yes. But the consensus is their games suck.

To be fair, quite a lot of people here host completely original games that have nothing to do with Mafiascum ;) (Lets say... Your Nolan's mafia)
But... It was so artistically done.
Lieutenant Commander9

Postby pancakemix on Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:42 am

Commander9 wrote:
pancakemix wrote:Our variant of the game is drawn from the Mafiascum school, yes. But the consensus is their games suck.

To be fair, quite a lot of people here host completely original games that have nothing to do with Mafiascum ;) (Lets say... Your Nolan's mafia)

I'm just speaking in terms of theoretical roots (though I'll admit I strive to break the norm).
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby Commander9 on Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:49 am

pancakemix wrote:I'm just speaking in terms of theoretical roots (though I'll admit I strive to break the norm).

I think most of the best mods in our forums (Edocsil, Safari, Mr. Squirrel, /, you, etc.) all strive to break from them and are doing quite well ;) I honestly believe that just because mafia forums started that way long time ago doesn't mean that we base ourselves on the mafiascum.
But... It was so artistically done.
Lieutenant Commander9

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:03 am

I looked at the site once or twice. Didn't really like the look, and the players there seemed kind of snobby. Maybe that was just the particular page I read... but I do think they're probably closer to what we play than some of the others.

-Tails
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:32 am

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:I looked at the site once or twice. Didn't really like the look, and the players there seemed kind of snobby. Maybe that was just the particular page I read... but I do think they're probably closer to what we play than some of the others.

-Tails

Yea, I started playing here, but I tried out the mafiascum forum a little later on. Played a few games with them but it didn't take long for me to quit. They're attitude was terrible and not inviting whatsoever. Very elitist.
pmchugh wrote:If I wasn't lazy, I would sig that :lol:
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby strike wolf on Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:28 am

TheGeneral2112 wrote:Is this why my FTC/NL/Doc on Cop was treated with such disdain in Squirrel's thread?

It was probably treated with disdain because:

A. Mafia sometimes have busdrivers who can get around cop protection
B. Mafia sometimes have roleblockers who can prevent the cop performing any actions (me, safari and victor went this route in GP: Egyptian mafia)
C. Mafia sometimes have framers and the more mafia know about the cop's specific thoughts the easier it is to frame the cop's main suspect.
D. If the doctor dies in this scenario than most often the cop is screwed the next night.

We tend to practice that cops reveal themselves either as a last resort when under pressure or once the cop has received a guilty result (can vary depending on cop's sanity). We have no problem playing FTC once the cop has claimed but it is dangerous for the cop to claim with no prior provocation. We do somewhat have history with Mafiascum. A lot of our older players especially have some history there however we are different than mafia scum. From what I've seen our games are more theme oriented (from what little I've seen or heard their games don't actually follow the theme of the movies or books they are based on), we engage in a wider range of style games and are generally faster paced. I have to agree with squirrel and others. From what I remember of Campin and Knox, the latest wave of MS players to come over, they were a bit elitist. It got campin lynched in Unmafia.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby safariguy5 on Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:42 am

Yeah, the only thing I use mafiascum for is to look at the list of roles when I want to balance a game. No prior experience on mafia forums and I've only ever played here.

I've used mafia watchers, busdrivers, just about any possible town role as mafia before. I've seen mafia doctors used before too.
Captain safariguy5

Postby edocsil on Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:44 am

I am one of the more prolific mods here. I always make certain that the scum have enough resources at their disposal to really ruin the towns day if the doc/cop is forced to claim. I like scum roleblockers among other balancing factors. I often try to break from the norm in my games one way or another to keep things unique, although my Golden Pantheon has been relatively tame with the exception of a well played daykiller.

I used mafiascum for roles for my first few games but I have no other interaction with the site besides that.
Edoc'sil

Commander9 wrote:Trust Edoc, as I know he's VERY good.

zimmah wrote:Mind like a brick.
Sergeant 1st Class edocsil

Postby TheGeneral2112 on Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:43 am

Thanks for the replies. Nice getting an insight into game styles here.

I have a few other questions...

I want to mod. With really cool roles. With really hard roles. I am wondering how difficult it would be, and what you think the reaction might be to these roles.

Voodoo Lady--Mafia

Chooses one person each night.
Chooses one word each night.
The next day, if that person says the word, he/she will die.

Disquiser--Mafia

Picks one person each night.
If the picked person dies during that night, the disguiser will steal that person's identity.

Agent--Town

Can send anonymous messages to any role not aligned with village.

Spy--Mafia

Can send anonymous messages to any role.

Gallis--Town

Survives a lynching if there's a majority vote.
Is lynched by a non-zero minority vote.

Interrogater/Jailer type roles

Obviously, any annon communication would have to be done through me. Just wondering what the CC reaction would be to these roles.

Postby MoB Deadly on Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:21 am

TheGeneral2112 wrote:Thanks for the replies. Nice getting an insight into game styles here.

I have a few other questions...

I want to mod. With really cool roles. With really hard roles. I am wondering how difficult it would be, and what you think the reaction might be to these roles.

Voodoo Lady--Mafia

Chooses one person each night.
Chooses one word each night.
The next day, if that person says the word, he/she will die.

Disquiser--Mafia

Picks one person each night.
If the picked person dies during that night, the disguiser will steal that person's identity.

Agent--Town

Can send anonymous messages to any role not aligned with village.

Spy--Mafia

Can send anonymous messages to any role.

Gallis--Town

Survives a lynching if there's a majority vote.
Is lynched by a non-zero minority vote.

Interrogater/Jailer type roles

Obviously, any annon communication would have to be done through me. Just wondering what the CC reaction would be to these roles.

I really think some of these have potential. I may use some of these haha!! Anonymous communication is kind of hard, I was working on potential roles like that but could never get it to work. But yeah maybe instead of letting them "freely chat" maybe I can say you can send x number of anonymous messages to player x

Voodoo, I don't know, this has to be balanced I think, like theres a ton of words you can pretty much guarantee will be said.

Disguiser, I like this a lot, I have played with a disguiser before where you actually took over that person's account on a mafia application. Obviously for security reasons, this is not allowed in forums. This is a good alteration to this I think

Agent and Spy - I like both of these, I will be using a variant of these in future games. Thanks!

Gaulis - undecided if I like this or not. This is tough.

Jailer - I used a masoned jailor in Power Mafia - but the jailor cannot be anonymous then, and then since they are instantly masoned, the jailor cannot get roleblocked.

Interrogator - again they cannot be anonymous if you let them "freely" chat which has its pros and cons.
Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal MoB Deadly

Postby drake_259 on Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:40 am

and bringing some of the EM roles over here :), i thought that bringing some of them over would have been good for a while as long as its not the Cthulhu, Anarchist could be fun :) using random.org to set a time for it to go off. that's if u can make sure you on to say bomb exploded. but very spammy.
Tournament Sign Ups:
Carcassonne Win 3 Months Tournament Prize
Battle For Medals! Round 2
Corporal drake_259

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:50 pm

I'd say trying new roles is always a good thing. We've had a couple of games with the anonymous messaging... I think they just kinda remained as a novelty, but no real reason for it. One game in particular was pretty imbalanced and crazy, so maybe that's why.

-Tails
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby strike wolf on Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:54 pm

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:I'd say trying new roles is always a good thing. We've had a couple of games with the anonymous messaging... I think they just kinda remained as a novelty, but no real reason for it. One game in particular was pretty imbalanced and crazy, so maybe that's why.

-Tails

Maybe if I have time tonight I'll do a RT with nothing but new or rarely used roles.

I like some of the suggestions mentioned. I think some could get overpowered like the voodoo mafia (unless she was to replace the godfather) but I do like a lot of them.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:14 pm

TheGeneral2112 wrote:Voodoo Lady--Mafia

The only way I could see this being balanced is if you took away the mafia's NK. Then it would make for some interesting gameplay as players tried to keep their words minimal and figure out what the next word would be. I would love to try a game like that, though I would hate to get the voodoo role myself. :lol:

Some restrictions would need to be placed though. Obviously if she chose the word 'vote' or 'the' then it basically defeats the point of the role in the first place.
TheGeneral2112 wrote:Disquiser--Mafia

I have actually been tossing around some ideas for role impersonators in my head for a while. I like how yours is mafia though (my ideas are normally town or 3rd party). It can overpower mafia though if you aren't careful.

As for all your anonymous communication roles, I'm neutral on them. They seem gimmicky without really adding much to gameplay.
pmchugh wrote:If I wasn't lazy, I would sig that :lol:
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:26 pm

I don't like the communication roles. In particular, agent can be OP. Since you can only communicate with town. You say: did anyone else get this message last night? If nobody else got it, then you have an extra cop. The Voodoo seems really fun.
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby safariguy5 on Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:10 pm

I'm not sure how the Agent sends messages to non town aligned players. Does he write a message and then the mod picks someone not town randomly to give it to?
Captain safariguy5

Postby edocsil on Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:19 pm

RT RT RT !

Anyhow, I think all the roles have potential besides the Voodoo, I think that one would be imbalanced at best. I would without fail pick the word scum and whatever player I felt like. That being said if this could replace the mafia's kill this would require no balancing.
Edoc'sil

Commander9 wrote:Trust Edoc, as I know he's VERY good.

zimmah wrote:Mind like a brick.
Sergeant 1st Class edocsil

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:20 pm

I've seen some of those roles before via someone else sending them to me. As for the Voodoo Lady, I think he said there were, in fact, restrictions on what word could be chosen. I think it had to be a four or five letter word that was relatively unrelated to 'lingo' (i.e. no "scum" or "mafia" or "town", etc.)

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby MoB Deadly on Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:22 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:I've seen some of those roles before via someone else sending them to me. As for the Voodoo Lady, I think he said there were, in fact, restrictions on what word could be chosen. I think it had to be a four or five letter word that was relatively unrelated to 'lingo' (i.e. no "scum" or "mafia" or "town", etc.)

-Sully

Eeevverryyoonne wwoouullldd hhaavvee tooo sttaarrtt ppoossttinng liikkee thiiss too avvoiiidd gettiinnng killeedd
Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal MoB Deadly

Postby Rodion on Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:29 pm

If the targeted person quoted a post from someone else that contained the forbidden word, would he die?
General Rodion

Postby zimmah on Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:17 pm

Rodion wrote:If the targeted person quoted a post from someone else that contained the forbidden word, would he die?

i'd assume no, since a quote is a quote, and not your own words.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby TheGeneral2112 on Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:16 pm

All anon contact would be done through me, as mod.

Also, voodoo lady has to choose a specific word AND a specific person to say that word.

Postby TheGeneral2112 on Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:20 pm

Rodion wrote:If the targeted person quoted a post from someone else that contained the forbidden word, would he die?

Yep. Also 4 letter minimum. Also, any word can be chosen.

IDK why you think this is OP. No different that a day vig, a sniper, anyone who has been gunned, sheriff, deputy, etc. Just a day kill, except it doesn't always go off.

Next

Return to Mafia Discussions