Conquer Club

Is everyone here a mafiascum fan?

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Is everyone here a mafiascum fan?

Postby safariguy5 on Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:51 pm

TheGeneral2112 wrote:
Rodion wrote:If the targeted person quoted a post from someone else that contained the forbidden word, would he die?

Yep. Also 4 letter minimum. Also, any word can be chosen.

IDK why you think this is OP. No different that a day vig, a sniper, anyone who has been gunned, sheriff, deputy, etc. Just a day kill, except it doesn't always go off.

Depends if you make this mafia, because then mafia would have both a day and night kill. All they would have to choose as a word would be vote or something, and it's almost 100% guaranteed to kill the target.
Captain safariguy5

Postby TheGeneral2112 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:18 am

safariguy5 wrote:
TheGeneral2112 wrote:
Rodion wrote:If the targeted person quoted a post from someone else that contained the forbidden word, would he die?

Yep. Also 4 letter minimum. Also, any word can be chosen.

IDK why you think this is OP. No different that a day vig, a sniper, anyone who has been gunned, sheriff, deputy, etc. Just a day kill, except it doesn't always go off.

Depends if you make this mafia, because then mafia would have both a day and night kill. All they would have to choose as a word would be vote or something, and it's almost 100% guaranteed to kill the target.

That would be the only word exempt. Because here, you HAVE to use that word. No way around it.
Lieutenant TheGeneral2112

Postby MeDeFe on Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:17 am

"Scum" and "town" would be certain kills as well. If the voodoo lady is on the scummy side you'd have to make a fairly long list of words not to use, I would exclude all mafia terminology as well as extremely common words like "that", "about", etc, otherwise it becomes impossible to have a normal discussion about who to lynch.
If you don't want to make a list like that, you'll either have to take out the scum's ability to nightkill or introduce a whole lot of protection roles and bulletproofness to balance things.

I think the voodoo lady would be best used in a game with a lot of PRs, maybe instead of a SKer. She could also work as a cult recruiter who turns her victims into zombies. Having a word as a trigger is a pretty cool mechanic, but I don't think you can just throw her into a normal game and hope it will work out.
saxitoxin wrote:Your position is more complex than the federal tax code. As soon as I think I understand it, I find another index of cross-references, exceptions and amendments I have to apply.
Timminz wrote:Yo mama is so classless, she could be a Marxist utopia.
Major MeDeFe

Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.

Postby TheGeneral2112 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:03 am

MeDeFe wrote:"Scum" and "town" would be certain kills as well. If the voodoo lady is on the scummy side you'd have to make a fairly long list of words not to use, I would exclude all mafia terminology as well as extremely common words like "that", "about", etc, otherwise it becomes impossible to have a normal discussion about who to lynch.
If you don't want to make a list like that, you'll either have to take out the scum's ability to nightkill or introduce a whole lot of protection roles and bulletproofness to balance things.

I think the voodoo lady would be best used in a game with a lot of PRs, maybe instead of a SKer. She could also work as a cult recruiter who turns her victims into zombies. Having a word as a trigger is a pretty cool mechanic, but I don't think you can just throw her into a normal game and hope it will work out.

Can't do that. 1 cop, 1 watcher, 1 mason, 2 jailers, 1 dreamer, 1 lightkeeper, 1 gunsmith, 1 blacksmith, 1 cult, 1 voodoo, 1 lookout, is a very balanced setup. The ONLY word that would be unacceptable is vote. Because that word has to be used to cast your vote. 'Scum', 'that', 'about', 'town' etc are all valid choices. What makes the role fun is the fear. Even with the mafia nightkilling, it is a VERY well balanced setup. (Just an example.) I'm not just hoping it will work out, I play in games with the voodoo lady all the time. One of the most fun roles for mafia IMO.

Postby MeDeFe on Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:28 am

I notice that you did not provide any details at all. Oversight on your part?
saxitoxin wrote:Your position is more complex than the federal tax code. As soon as I think I understand it, I find another index of cross-references, exceptions and amendments I have to apply.
Major MeDeFe

Postby MoB Deadly on Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:26 am

I feel like the voodoo Lady is essentially nerfing the ability to use skill and debate in the game. Instead Voodoo lady promotes short posts and/or submarining
Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal MoB Deadly

Postby spiesr on Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:46 am

MeDeFe wrote:"Scum" and "town" would be certain kills as well. If the voodoo lady is on the scummy side you'd have to make a fairly long list of words not to use, I would exclude all mafia terminology as well as extremely common words like "that", "about", etc, otherwise it becomes impossible to have a normal discussion about who to lynch.
You would just have to balance things for the fact the the mafia have a day kill and that will almost always work. You could either remove/weaken their night kill ability, or just have a large enough game that the mafia can safely have two kills per round. Although at this point, I wonder why even bother with the Voodoo part, why not just give the mafia a regular daykiller? The biggest difference I can see is that the with the daykiller the scum get to choose when to make the daykill, while with this role the timing is out of their hands.
Captain spiesr

Postby safariguy5 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:35 am

Wait, so can you make the word the name of one of the players? Only way around that is to be very careful and use nicknames but then mafia could wifom it.
Captain safariguy5

Postby TheGeneral2112 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:44 pm

MeDeFe wrote:I notice that you did not provide any details at all. Oversight on your part?

Here you go with wiki links.
1 cop, 1 watcher, 1 mason, 2 jailers, 1 dreamer, 1 lightkeeper, 1 gunsmith, 1 blacksmith, 1 cult, 1 voodoo, 1 lookout

Postby strike wolf on Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:47 pm

A voodoo lady could work really well as a solitary role like a serial killer or as a replacement for the godfather. limit the word choice somewhat (nothing below 4 letters, vote can't be used and probably user names as well. maybe even some other words). The kill becomes more difficult to block however it also does not guarantee that the word will be mentioned.

Another possible variation: The voodoo lady picks a specific word at the beginning of the game and picks her target each night. Town can slowly try to figure out the words that cause the player's death a little more each day.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby drake_259 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:05 pm

vote can be allowed as a word to kill, any words in bold or red are exempt. so basically unvote vote and a players name. if any are written outside of red or bold then they would be killed
Tournament Sign Ups:
Carcassonne Win 3 Months Tournament Prize
Battle For Medals! Round 2
Corporal drake_259

Postby Rodion on Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:45 pm

drake_259 wrote:vote can be allowed as a word to kill, any words in bold or red are exempt. so basically unvote vote and a players name. if any are written outside of red or bold then they would be killed

What keeps me from bolding everything I write?
General Rodion

Postby strike wolf on Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:00 pm

Rodion wrote:
drake_259 wrote:vote can be allowed as a word to kill, any words in bold or red are exempt. so basically unvote vote and a players name. if any are written outside of red or bold then they would be killed

valid point. I could write everything like this and Vote Rodion like that
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby drake_259 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:33 pm

Rodion wrote:

because i said basically unvote vote and the players name!!!!!!!!
Tournament Sign Ups:
Corporal drake_259

Postby pancakemix on Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:21 am

strike wolf wrote:
Rodion wrote:

valid point. I could write everything like this and Vote Rodion like that

You mean like Skoffin?
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby safariguy5 on Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:55 am

drake_259 wrote:
Rodion wrote:

because i said basically unvote vote and the players name!!!!!!!!

How are you answering the question exactly drake? If you make it any word, it's very powerful for mafia, and if you put restrictions, people could get around it potentially.
Captain safariguy5

Postby drake_259 on Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:50 am

Could do a time post restrition instead? like have to post within 24 hours of you last post or end up dying? and 24 hour post from the night scene.

if someone is going away for a week etc they could pm the mod to become void for the day

just another example how it could be used
Tournament Sign Ups:
Corporal drake_259

Postby Iliad on Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:19 am

The three pages of discussion is a clear sign of why I'm not a fan. It doesn't really add anything to the game and only adds a massive distraction. It's like when any case grounds to a halt when someone mentions the possibility of a jester. Seriously when was the last time you ever saw a jester, in a proper not rt game no less?
Private 1st Class Iliad

Postby MeDeFe on Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:04 pm

TheGeneral2112 wrote:
MeDeFe wrote:I notice that you did not provide any details at all. Oversight on your part?

Here you go with wiki links.
1 cop, 1 watcher, 1 mason, 2 jailers, 1 dreamer, 1 lightkeeper, 1 gunsmith, 1 blacksmith, 1 cult, 1 voodoo, 1 lookout

So it takes 3 protective roles (2 with roleblock), 3 investigative roles, and 1 offensive role to balance a voodoo lady in a cult game. That fits pretty well with what I said before. You can't just add the role to a game and hope it's balanced without further changes. The lightkeeper cannot be implemented on CC, there's no way to keep discussions anonymous.
Major MeDeFe

Postby MoB Deadly on Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:34 am

Dreamer is freakin sweet.
Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal MoB Deadly

Postby TheGeneral2112 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:22 pm

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I have decided to use a traditional setup though. My next game will include more advanced and unique roles such as the ones I suggested in this thread. Check out my game if you are interested.

Previous

Return to Mafia Discussions