Conquer Club

Lynch All Liars???

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Lynch All Liars???

Postby MoB Deadly on Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:08 pm

Wtf, 3 games within the past month, have an instance of a townie lying.

NBC mafia
Get Rich from the Bank
possibly FF7 Mafia

What gives? I have always been taught time and time again to never lie as town. Yes I have been tempted before, but I feel like its more of a selfish act than a legitimate strategy.

These are the situations I think it's acceptable to lie as town:
1) Near endgame where it's possible MYLO situation and you have to lie to trick the mafia.
2) RT mafia, maybe as 1, its harder to catch, and it could actually be a strategy.

I feel like this should be used sparingly. I feel like in all of those situations it did not benefit the town at all. All 3 mafias have double digit amount of players left, and FF7 mafia has 20+ players left.

I feel like lying as part of the town only fogs the game up even more and makes it near impossible to build cases on, since everything after the claim is a lie.

I am not trying to attack any of the players that did this, I just want to better understand what they had planned to accomplish, both short term and long term with their fakeclaims, and if other players find it a legitimate strategy.
Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal MoB Deadly

Re: Lynch All Liars???

Postby zimmah on Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:33 pm

i have allready explained in the game, even if people would believe i was the cop, i'd be a major mafia target, i was trying to scare both town and mafia from making me a target, and was hoping that the other players would take a moment and think before rushing to conclusions like they have done the whole time.

that's the last thing 'll ever say about that game.

have luck winning that game now, in case you're even town.

think before jumping to conclusions, especially when you play with/against me, because i'm not so standard.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby MoB Deadly on Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:39 pm

Why not claim Cop and let a doctor or watcher help you out. I just think your claim was selfish. Or even if there is no doc or watcher, you have to think the mafia is worried there could be one

And I even said I pegged you as aggressive in the game but not necessarily scummy. That lucrative claim is what changed my opinion.
Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal MoB Deadly

Postby Commander9 on Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:53 pm

MoB Deadly wrote:Wtf, 3 games within the past month, have an instance of a townie lying.

NBC mafia
Get Rich from the Bank
possibly FF7 Mafia

What gives? I have always been taught time and time again to never lie as town. Yes I have been tempted before, but I feel like its more of a selfish act than a legitimate strategy.

These are the situations I think it's acceptable to lie as town:
1) Near endgame where it's possible MYLO situation and you have to lie to trick the mafia.
2) RT mafia, maybe as 1, its harder to catch, and it could actually be a strategy.

I feel like this should be used sparingly. I feel like in all of those situations it did not benefit the town at all. All 3 mafias have double digit amount of players left, and FF7 mafia has 20+ players left.

I feel like lying as part of the town only fogs the game up even more and makes it near impossible to build cases on, since everything after the claim is a lie.

I am not trying to attack any of the players that did this, I just want to better understand what they had planned to accomplish, both short term and long term with their fakeclaims, and if other players find it a legitimate strategy.

Well, there are more instances than that. I don't want to reveal some of them due to the fact that it may turn out not to be effective afterwards, but there are certain situations where it is beneficial to lie as town. Yes, those are very rare and few in between, but those exist. A few examples that I can give right now:

1. You are a VT in a large game. You are basically not that useful and if you can hint that you're a power role and attract mafia kills, you will have done your job well.
  2. There can be plenty of instances in MYLO and LYLO where a lie can be the only thing that saves town.
  3. You know that someone else is scum, yet for one reason or the other (perhaps due to town's inability to act or not believing your case) the town is not willing to listen - then you can slightly twist the truth to help you.
  4. If you want to catch a scum in a lie and you think you can do it, it is acceptable to lie.

These are just few of the instances where it is okay to lie. All of these are just my own opinions and not necessarily shared by our community. One thing that I do usually, though, is that once the lie has been (un) successfully done, I will admit to what I did and explain how it was beneficial.
But... It was so artistically done.
Lieutenant Commander9

Postby Rodion on Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:21 pm

I'm not going to comment on the game I'm modding, but LaL did not apply in NBC or Get Rich from the Bank mafia because the lie was only discovered after the lynch, not the other way around.

That said, lying as town could be beneficial, but as a rule of thumb I suggest people not to. If you are going to lie as town, you had better make sure that nobody is going to catch you. Victor Sullivan got caught in Team CC Mafia and he was instantly killed, for instance.
General Rodion

Postby safariguy5 on Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:38 pm

I believe in never lying as town during a roleclaim. Hinting at certain roles that I am not to draw mafia attention as VT is good, but if I'm forced to claim, I'll still claim what I am. I don't mind playing mind games a bit and WIFOMing mafia into possibly targeting me instead of a town PR, but when it comes to night actions and roles as town, I believe strongly in not lying.
Captain safariguy5

Return to Mafia Discussions