Conquer Club

Doctor Who Mafia

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Doctor Who Mafia

Postby thechuck51 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:46 pm

After the wire wraps up I would like to do a doctor who themed game. It would be based on the 9th-11th doctors series. I've got plenty of ideas for roles but I'm looking for a time travel mechanic. Maybe like doom's time warp mafia? Or maybe a player could initiate it somehow? Any ideas?
Sergeant 1st Class thechuck51

Re: Doctor Who Mafia

Postby new guy1 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:47 am

Ive never seen the show. Would it be extremely detrimental if I dont know the series, but I pretty much know what its about?
Sergeant new guy1

Postby TeeGee on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:16 am

This might help

http://www.drwhoguide.com/who.htm

I've tried (badly) to play mafia games, not my thing really, but if you need any advice on the Doctor you just need to ask.

Kotaro wrote:TG for site owner 2020
Field Marshal TeeGee

Location: Traversing the Multiverse, looking for a Yak with 3 ears

Postby thechuck51 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:21 pm

Here's what I'm thinking for my time travel mechanic. The game starts day 1/night 1. Then I randomly pick between days up to 11 (for the 11 doctors). No day can be repeated. It will be possible for a player to travel back to day 1 where they will advance days linearly until their time stream crosses with the main one. So say at the start of day 7 a player gets sent back to day 1. They are effectively out if the game for now. Next day town randomly jumps to day 10, the player moves to day 2. The next day the game moves to day 2 while the player would have moved to day 3 but because the game has crossed his new time stream he renters the game. If its impossible for the game to cross the players new time stream he will die of old age in the current game day. Make sense? Think it will work?

Postby new guy1 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:32 pm

thechuck51 wrote:Here's what I'm thinking for my time travel mechanic. The game starts day 1/night 1. Then I randomly pick between days up to 11 (for the 11 doctors). No day can be repeated. It will be possible for a player to travel back to day 1 where they will advance days linearly until their time stream crosses with the main one. So say at the start of day 7 a player gets sent back to day 1. They are effectively out if the game for now. Next day town randomly jumps to day 10, the player moves to day 2. The next day the game moves to day 2 while the player would have moved to day 3 but because the game has crossed his new time stream he renters the game. If its impossible for the game to cross the players new time stream he will die of old age in the current game day. Make sense? Think it will work?

I dont know if its my sobriety or your typing, but I didnt retain anything of that explanation... More power to you though!
Sergeant new guy1

Postby thechuck51 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:03 pm

Using random.org i get a sequency of 2-11 for my day order (day 1 start, there is a night folllowing each day):
1 3 7 10 9 5 2 11 6 4 8

During Night 1 player A is sent back to Day 1. (Player A - ??? has been sent back in time) Everybody else moves to day 3 (following the random order of days)

After day/night 3, the main group moves to Day 7, Player A moves to Day 2
the main group moves to Day 10, player A to Day 3 and so on
eventually the main group moves to Day 5, Player A would be on Day 5 and since his time stream has now crossed with the main group he re-joins the game.

If after day/night 6 player B is sent back to Day 1, then he would be announced as dead of old age as his new time stream would never cross with the main one. Main goes Day 4 then Day 8, Player B goes Day 1 then Day 2.

Does that make more sense?

Postby new guy1 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:05 pm

thechuck51 wrote:Using random.org i get a sequency of 2-11 for my day order (day 1 start, there is a night folllowing each day):
1 3 7 10 9 5 2 11 6 4 8

During Night 1 player A is sent back to Day 1. (Player A - ??? has been sent back in time) Everybody else moves to day 3 (following the random order of days)

After day/night 3, the main group moves to Day 7, Player A moves to Day 2
the main group moves to Day 10, player A to Day 3 and so on
eventually the main group moves to Day 5, Player A would be on Day 5 and since his time stream has now crossed with the main group he re-joins the game.

If after day/night 6 player B is sent back to Day 1, then he would be announced as dead of old age as his new time stream would never cross with the main one. Main goes Day 4 then Day 8, Player B goes Day 1 then Day 2.

Does that make more sense?

Okay, thank you for breaking it down for me :D. Im sorry I didnt post again, but after reading it a few more times I ended up figuring it out. Sounds like a cool concept, though I am going to college in the next few months and want to see how I adapt to life there before I commit to the game.
Sergeant new guy1

Postby safariguy5 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:04 pm

I think it could work but of course I wonder about how the balance would work. Through the RNG, it's possible (however unlikely) that all the mafia players end up dying from old age due to some teleporting? Unless I'm reading the frequency of the teleporting wrong.
Captain safariguy5

Return to Mafia Discussions