Conquer Club

Day and Night Mafia?

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Day and Night Mafia?

Postby strike wolf on Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:03 pm

So I have an idea for a new mafia game, now to pull it off I would need probably 16+ people, ideally probably around 20 (I might be able to pull it off with fewer but it would most likely turn into a quick game if so) willing to play but my idea is as such.

1. both town and bad guys are divided in half. Half of them are day players who send in a vote during the day and any actions at night and the other half are night players who send in their actions during the day and vote during the night.

2. Any player would be allowed to talk day or night but only day players are allowed to vote during the day and only night players can vote during the night.

3. All actions would occur at the end of the day/night period (So there would be no midday kills).

4. Since votes occur in both phases of the game both periods would be for the same period of time. I think to make the game work this is something I would have to be strict about with no long days and no short nights. Probably each game period would be one week long.

5. There are still a lot of ideas I would have to iron out. Most notably what kind of scum, vanillas or no vanillas? Is there room for third party? How would third parties even work? How would scum communicate? Would they be able to talk all the time or would they be split so certain players could talk at one time and certain players talk at another (possibly with a mediating scum player who can talk at both times).

Anyways, I think it has potential and I'll have some time to work on the details (This would not start until after Rock N' Roll Mafia has ended). I just want to gauge what kind of interest there would be for a game like this.

Edit: I should also note that roles that would normally have their action during the voting period of the game would still have their action at that time and there may be room for roles that are unique to this game.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Re: Day and Night Mafia?

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:17 pm

I like it.
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby new guy1 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:46 pm

I think I may have missed something on the first read through, but would it be like two seperate mafia games in one, would day town be trying to lynch night players or day players, etc. I guess my main thing is would the day and night players interact or not and if so how because after a process of elimination players would be able to figure out the day and night players just by voting and all that.
Sergeant new guy1

Postby TheForgivenOne on Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:57 pm

new guy1 wrote:I think I may have missed something on the first read through, but would it be like two seperate mafia games in one, would day town be trying to lynch night players or day players, etc. I guess my main thing is would the day and night players interact or not and if so how because after a process of elimination players would be able to figure out the day and night players just by voting and all that.

Was thinking the same. Although it sounds cool!
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby strike wolf on Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:16 pm

Whether a player is night or day does not determine if they are town or mafia. Town players will have the same winning objective whethed they are day or night.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Cadet strike wolf

Postby new guy1 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:34 pm

strike wolf wrote:Whether a player is night or day does not determine if they are town or mafia. Town players will have the same winning objective whethed they are day or night.

Ah, so its more like two lynches and two nk's. Would there be two mafia factions, or when on group of people (say day) finished the mafia, would they be able to vote or what? I understand if theres stuff you cant say :D
Sergeant new guy1

Postby safariguy5 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:02 pm

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure about how the day/night interactions will work. If mafia endgames town in one side and town kill off mafia in the other, what happens?
Captain safariguy5

Postby aage on Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:31 am

I don't think it works that way. Town is simply screwed if mafia gets the upper hand in one of the two groups, because the rules say nothing about NK's targeting people from the other group, but town can't lynch them.
Sergeant 1st Class aage

Postby rishaed on Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:15 am

Reminds me slightly of /'s Two Sides Mafia.
aage wrote: Maybe you're right, but since we receive no handlebars from the mod I think we should get some ourselves.

Corporal 1st Class rishaed

Location: Somewhere in the Foundry forums looking for whats going on!

Postby Nebuchadnezer on Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:09 pm

If you split the players into Day/Night groups, and start with 20, you essentially only need 6 players to vote a lynch...very interesting on who throws votes around...and how Nights would cheer/jeer the Days' votes and vice versa...Could be quite funny, actually.

Having an SK would be tough...1. Players are already getting thinned out at double the rate. 2. If there is a double kill during a day or night, the SK has a harder time hiding among the 10 players in his/her group (of which that number decreases rapidly).

I see no problem with mafia controlling one side of Night or Day, as they are still vulnerable to being lynched by the other side...I'm assuming that Night players could still lynch Day players, and vice versa.
Sergeant 1st Class Nebuchadnezer

Postby safariguy5 on Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:04 pm

Reminds me of that boatwreck mafia that captain walrus tried to run.
Captain safariguy5

Postby / on Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:02 pm

rishaed wrote:Reminds me slightly of /'s Two Sides Mafia.

safariguy5 wrote:Reminds me of that boatwreck mafia that captain walrus tried to run.

*sniff* I'm getting too old, with pancake gone I'm the only one left that can remember the obvious one.
Insomniac Mafia
So yeah, the idea has kind of been fleshed out before, but it was a great game, I'm sure that you can throw in a few twists to make a super awesome game, good luck strike.
Sergeant 1st Class /

Postby strike wolf on Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:40 pm

Dang and here I thought I was at least being semi-original. I remember your two-sided mafia and knew there were similarities but while I remember seeing the name, I don't think I ever looked into what Insomniac Mafia was about (It may have been one of those that came out while I was still only playing a mafia game once every year or two and just missed it). Thanks for the link. I'll probably peruse the set up on that one to see how Pancake balanced it and see if I get some new ideas for mind flowing. Perhaps rename this to Insomniac Mafia 2.0! okay probably not.

Cadet strike wolf

Postby Nebuchadnezer on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:00 pm

Thanks for putting that link in there...I just read through that entire game... :shock:
Sergeant 1st Class Nebuchadnezer

Return to Mafia Discussions