Conquer Club

Game of Thrones Mafia Planning Phase

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Game of Thrones Mafia Planning Phase

Postby StorrZerg on Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:32 pm

So i am Planning to host a Game of Thrones mafia, I'd be interested in some "general" suggestions regarding theme.
I'm planning a tentative start date around Mid May.

Should the focus be season 1 / book 1 ?

Current season in the show? (up to book 3 or tv show season 3/4)

Also interest in playing in this game would great! (plz say if you are looking forward to it) Anyone who says they are interested here, will get a pm when i make the thread at a latter date.

Some general thoughts, I am not planning to have mafia be "obvious" Anyone will have an equal chance at being mafia from the story line. The game will be a Closed set up. I'm thinking of having a full cycle be between 4 and 7 days. I am planning on some unique roles, and normal roles will have flavor specs added to them. (example a cop would never be called a cop. The abilities would be the same, but role would be given something else "unique" to the character. I want to limit "theme flavor impacting actions taken in game"

Size of the game, Some of the things I'm Pondering about would need 20+ people. Is running a game size of 20-24 viable?

Thx for any input given, and please ask questions.
Major StorrZerg

Re: Game of Thrones Mafia Planning Phase

Postby betiko on Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:28 pm

it could be interesting, will depend if i have some time for it... so you mean that mafia wouldn't be for example the lanisters, but let's say joffrey mafia and tyrion town... or the fact that some characters are more or less depicted as good/evil would not influence? what's so wrong about flavour?
Major betiko

Postby StorrZerg on Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:58 pm

flavor would be more about PRs, story line etc.

lanisters would not all be mafia for example.

Just because you are a stark, doesn't mean you are automatically town.

Just because your character does bad things in the show doesn't mean you will be mafia.

I'm doing this for a few reasons, but the main reason is I don't want claims / counter claims to effect the game. Such as "o he claimed this person obviously he has to be town" This helps me a bit since i won't have to deal with fake claims. + i would hate to leave out some characters as "fake claims" I am planning flavor aspects that do impact the game, I'm just trying to avoid things that link to alignment.
Major StorrZerg

Postby strike wolf on Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:22 pm

Hmm after the first A Song of Ice and Fire game had to be abandoned, I was planning on trying my hand at it after I was done with Breaking Bad but if you are planning one I could be content to play. For reference if it helps, the first GoT game was based on season 1 and the ASoIAF game was based on Robert's Rebellion (so it drew on some historical speculation). So have you read the books? They are quite interesting.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby StorrZerg on Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:57 pm

Yes i have read the books ^_^ and watched the show.

I was thinking of the theme being "current" for the show.
season 3-4 for the tv show (since im starting mid may)

and book 3
Major StorrZerg

Postby Nebuchadnezer on Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:09 pm

Interested. Please read the thread for the game that died. It was a great concept that didn't have an ordinary setup. The flavor is good to use...there are so many characters to choose from that you shouldn't have to worry about leaving some out.
Sergeant 1st Class Nebuchadnezer

Postby StorrZerg on Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:17 pm

flavor will be used. it just won't be alignment indicative. flavor will be used to determine what kind of powers some characters might have.

I have a different mechanic i will be using that will involve "regions" or "houses" and the way i am envisioning the the flow of the game / set up i'll need flavor to not impact alignment.
Major StorrZerg

Postby strike wolf on Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:02 pm

It'll be interesting to see (personally I've never liked the thought of using a source for flavor and then just putting the characters wherever because it seems to defeat the purpose of using the flavor to begin with but a non-flavored game is always an interesting route). I'd personally start with season 1 and work up to the later seasons but that's just me. This also reminds me that at some point, I need to make another addition into my Dexter series (think I will skip season 3 and go to season 4). But I'm side tracking.

Great that you read the books. If you ever want to discuss them, I'm always up for a good ASoIAF theory discussion in PMs.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Cadet strike wolf

Postby jak111 on Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:12 pm

1.) Pre-signed-up right MEOW!
2.) Start at season 1 and people that die off in the game should not appear in the next (season 2, 3 and 4 XD) have it branch away from the show and book a little with that (by changing the course of history!)
Highest Rank:
Major:2157

"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers"

Jak Eliminator: Prison Riot [0/16] *Sign Ups*
Private 1st Class jak111

Postby strike wolf on Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:42 pm

jak111 wrote:1.) Pre-signed-up right MEOW!
2.) Start at season 1 and people that die off in the game should not appear in the next (season 2, 3 and 4 XD) have it branch away from the show and book a little with that (by changing the course of history!)

Funny thing is, I've wanted to do a DBZ game like that. Season 1 Saiyans, if the saiyans win, Vegeta becomes a bulletproof character in the next game and at least some of the dead from the first would stay dead (but I probably wouldn't say which in order to keep fake claims) etc.

Cadet strike wolf

Postby jak111 on Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:43 pm

Haha, I am watching a show called LOST atm, finally on the final season and once I finish it I think I might make a game based around it (all seasons to let there be fake claims)
Highest Rank:
Major:2157

"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers"

Jak Eliminator: Prison Riot [0/16] *Sign Ups*
Private 1st Class jak111

Postby StorrZerg on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:21 am

jak111 wrote:1.) Pre-signed-up right MEOW!

will note to pm you :)

donno how i would make that happen, think ill just go book 2/3 ^_^
Major StorrZerg

Postby pancakemix on Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:16 am

Dunno how viable a 20-24 player game is in here atm. Something to bear in mind.

Also no spoilers for season 4 from the book please. Because then I would have a sadface.

Other than that I'm stoked. It'll be nice to see a GoT Mafia that actually works out. :lol:
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby strike wolf on Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:38 am

Would it be a spoiler to tell you a character you should pay close attention to?

Cadet strike wolf

Postby MoB Deadly on Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:15 am

I would play if time permits.

Never read books or saw the show, but I am interested in starting them some day.

LIKE the idea of not using traditional Cop and Watcher roles etc.

I think 4-7 days for a full cycle sounds very unrealistic though. I think anything less than 7 days for a Mafia day will be hard to do. If you go with something less I would honestly give the town a little more advantage because the mafia will certainly target some of the most active town players then scummarine.

20 players sounds very hard to do as well. But I will tell my clan mates you are interested in hosting this and see if they would play
Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal MoB Deadly

Postby betiko on Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:21 am

MoB Deadly wrote:I would play if time permits.

Never read books or saw the show, but I am interested in starting them some day.

I think 4-7 days for a full cycle sounds very unrealistic though. I think anything less than 7 days for a Mafia day will be hard to do. If you go with something less I would honestly give the town a little more advantage because the mafia will certainly target some of the most active town players then scummarine.

20 players sounds very hard to do as well. But I will tell my clan mates you are interested in hosting this and see if they would play

wstor, you have to take into consideration that the activity on breaking bad mafia is way above average compared to other mafia games lately. it's also an official game with prizes, so the interest is higher than normal.
Major betiko

Postby strike wolf on Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:48 am

betiko wrote:

wstor, you have to take into consideration that the activity on breaking bad mafia is way above average compared to other mafia games lately. it's also an official game with prizes, so the interest is higher than normal.

I am actually interested in seeing if we couldn't force slightly higher activity out of a game. 4 days maybe a little on the short side, I would go with 5 at least but if we did have a player who was pushing for everyone to stay active, I could see it potentially working.

Cadet strike wolf

Postby StorrZerg on Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:16 am

pancakemix wrote:Dunno how viable a 20-24 player game is in here atm. Something to bear in mind.

Also no spoilers for season 4 from the book please. Because then I would have a sadface.

Other than that I'm stoked. It'll be nice to see a GoT Mafia that actually works out. :lol:

kk thx for heads up about viability.
it would be season 2-4 of the tv show. Books 2-3. Again it would be flavor stuff. SO if it is a spoiler to you, you might not even know it.

show
Major StorrZerg

Postby StorrZerg on Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:23 am

I had a friend, whom is considered a pretty strong player on Teamliquid do some videos on how he plays mafia. (this is a town point of view)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCXVOHG0a_hVmDE4IVD768g
The cycle was 48 hours and 24, (posting at night is allowed on tl, thinking of allowing it in my game)
he shows pretty well what you can do with limited time. (the game he was playing in was smaller, but the pace was much faster imo)

I'm really going to try and push this game for 24. I have some things in mind ^_^
Major StorrZerg

Postby StorrZerg on Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:33 am

strike wolf wrote:
betiko wrote:

I am actually interested in seeing if we couldn't force slightly higher activity out of a game. 4 days maybe a little on the short side, I would go with 5 at least but if we did have a player who was pushing for everyone to stay active, I could see it potentially working.

@betiko prizes? i missed all of that lol

regarding activity, i plan on making it mandatory to post every cycle and mandatory to vote. (I feel this helps with activity, because if you put a bad vote out early you can be forced to contribute more) Now idk if posting every phase is normally required, but i know voting doesn't seem to be. It would be great for people to be supportive of this idea. I really do think this would help keep activity up, and curve lurking a little. (i suppose i would need 4-5 people to replace if needed)

I guess a big thing regarding cycles is asking a general question. How often do you check / post the mafia thread you are in?
Do you try and post every day of the cycle? exmp BB day phase last 10 days, are you planning to have at least 10 posts on day 1?

I plan to have Hard caps on time when cycle ends. Which ever time seems potentially best for everyone else. 5pm east idk. I will require all night /day actions to be in 1 hour prior to dead lines.

Another question. Talking at night i think i mentioned it, but i plan to have this game to allow you to talk at night.
Is this troublesome to anyone?
Major StorrZerg

Postby MoB Deadly on Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:16 am

X-Stor-X wrote:I guess a big thing regarding cycles is asking a general question. How often do you check / post the mafia thread you are in?
Do you try and post every day of the cycle? exmp BB day phase last 10 days, are you planning to have at least 10 posts on day 1?

to get 24 players you will probably have to advertise your game a little more vocally than anyone else. Try PMing people in the mafia forum, check Live Chat, make a forum post in General Discussion, etc etc.
I will help out as well I will ask my clan mates if they are interested.

As for activity, yeah 1 post per day is a good average, I would actually include that in your sign up thread. I would post in big letters near the top that this game is different from others and requires frequent participation. I would even write. All players should attempt to make a contributing post at least once per day or something like that just to set a precedence before signing up.

I just don't want you to take the time to set this all up and it fail for you. you are certainly setting the bar high.

X-Stor-X wrote:I plan to have Hard caps on time when cycle ends. Which ever time seems potentially best for everyone else. 5pm east idk. I will require all night /day actions to be in 1 hour prior to dead lines.

Another question. Talking at night i think i mentioned it, but i plan to have this game to allow you to talk at night.
Is this troublesome to anyone?

I see no issues with this.
Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal MoB Deadly

Postby safariguy5 on Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:27 pm

If you have good flavor, 20 might be doable. People love the show (I never watched but I'd definitely play).
Captain safariguy5

Postby StorrZerg on Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:41 pm

keep up the thoughts guys.
i still want to aim for 24.

any way i can show this to more people?
Major StorrZerg

Postby pancakemix on Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:45 pm

Someone suggested checking Live Chat, which might be a good avenue.

You might also ask those in clans that play intraclan mafia to gauge within those clans about the game.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby StorrZerg on Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:19 pm

SO i saw that i joined an "official" mafia game. Can someone explain official games? Is there any way I can set my game up to be an Official game?
Major StorrZerg

Next

Return to Mafia Discussions