Conquer Club

Mafia Tournament Idea

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Mafia Tournament Idea

Postby jak111 on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:11 pm

(I do not mean a RISK tournament, I mean a tournament all within Mafia).

The Idea: A tournament featuring games hosted by different moderators (must have previous moderating experience at the minimum of hosting 2 full games). MVP of winning team (or solo winner if alone) will be voted for by all players. May be dead or alive at ENDGAME but must be on winning team. The MVP gains entrance to the Championship game. Once enough MVPs enter the Championship game (which will be hosted by 3 moderators. This must be a balanced game) the Championship game will commence.

The Prize: Currently unknown. Maybe we could get a General Achievement medal or something of that sort in here or some other prize we can come up with.

The Rules:
  • All moderators will have a chance to get in themselves (besides the three that will host the Championship) by playing in other qualifier games and winning MVP.
  • Each moderator may only mod one qualifier game.
  • Each player may only win one qualifier MVP pass, even if they're in multiple qualifier games. So if they won one already they cannot be voted for, for MVP.
  • Obviously no cheating and abide by the moderators rules, each mod will have their own rules for their games.

What we need right now:
  • Three Championship mods (they may mod one qualifier each as well).
  • Moderators (at least 10, once we get the Championship mods they shall work together to find the exact number of MVPs/Mods we need.

I was thinking either I could put together a team for the championship mods or if everyone prefers we can nominate a few mods and the top 3 that get voted for will be the Championship moderators.

Once we have the three, they/we can begin planning the final game to get more information/rules/etc out for the qualifiers.

So far this is in the idea stage. But I think it'd be cool if we put some serious thought into this.
Highest Rank:
Major:2157

"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers"

Jak Eliminator: Prison Riot [0/16] *Sign Ups*
Private 1st Class jak111

Re: Mafia Tournament Idea

Postby spiesr on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:19 pm

Completely impossible.

It is too elaborate and we don't have nearly enough people. Enough when this area was more active ideas spanning multiple games very seldom actually worked out.
Last edited by spiesr on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain spiesr

Postby jak111 on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:20 pm

spiesr wrote:Completely impossible.

How so? Or do you mean the medal part? That was just an idea thrown out there.
Highest Rank:

Private 1st Class jak111

Postby pancakemix on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:26 pm

I'm not just gonna say it's impossible in theory. But it has been tried before. And as it sits, this concept is almost completely unworkable. I don't know that there are 10 people currently active who could/would want to mod a game.

I will say another [Official] game needs to happen soon though...
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby jak111 on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:45 pm

Mhmm, I was thinking of going back to 2012/2013 and seeing who's still active on CC that would want to help out/play again. I know I walled Slash saying hi since he logged in just 6 days ago.

That part of the idea might be a bit far fetched. But I am sure we could do a work-around by allowing mods to mod 2-3 games.

For active mods, I see you, Edoc, (okay I am going to stop the list right here... I just took a quick look at the archives.. Did almost every mod/player leave when I went AWOL last year?)

XD I really gotta slow myself down with this before I get in over my head again. But I think if we fine tune the idea a bit we could make it work.

I mean the basics is an official game with mods to help judge it and a prize for MVP/Winner. The rest is just add-ons.
Highest Rank:

Private 1st Class jak111

Postby pancakemix on Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:34 am

I think the other problem inherent here is that there's a line being drawn between "mods" and "non-mods" where only the mods a judges of good play and are privileged enough to host a game. That's the kind of thing that's been killing this community and I'd rather not promote that. I'd rather just host a game, and encourage anyone who wants to to do likewise. It becomes even more problematic when you consider that Mafia is a team game and the teams are never consistent. Honoring one person as the "best" isn't an ideal format, especially considering there are so many factors that can affect things in just one night of play.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby jak111 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:40 am

Hmmm, I can see that as a problem. The restrictions on modding is just so that we can see that they're able to mod a game from beginning to end and that they know how it works.

The MVP thing is a hard system to do. I was thinking of a point system where each player vote counts for 2 points added to a player and the judges add/deduct points for really good/bad play. Even then I can see it being problematic.

If we were able to get medals in here we could easily award them to the winning team, but I am not sure if CC staff would promote that. The other prize options I was thinking of is a gift card for Amazon or the likes online. If we really wanted to we could split the reward between the winning faction.

Gah, why must this be so difficult. I can see pros and cons to either system but would the system be fair to do so?

Example: If we take my last system suggestion. If mafia wins, they win more of the prize for each player instead of if town wins its split up to more people. Or if a lone third party wins they take all of the winnings.
Highest Rank:

Private 1st Class jak111

Postby edocsil on Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:01 pm

I would never be able to get my Golden Pantheon to run in this current environment. TBH the only thing that can be run is an official game, and I just don't have the energy or one now.
Edoc'sil

Commander9 wrote:Trust Edoc, as I know he's VERY good.

zimmah wrote:Mind like a brick.
Sergeant 1st Class edocsil

Postby Iron Butterfly on Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:51 pm

Yup...good points all. We have a hard enough time getting everyone to play in 1 game without no shows. While I appreciate the ideas Jak i think it is best for now to focus on keeping the mafia game forum filled with running games. I can not remember when a game was not running.

Second we need to get the community energized. there was a time when i was always in at least three games concurrently as that was all I could handle. There are none right now.

[url=http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=341][img]http://i1025
Captain Iron Butterfly

Return to Mafia Discussions