Conquer Club

Categorize games by 'type'

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Categorize games by 'type'

Postby rishaed on Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:53 pm

dakky21 wrote:
TheForgivenOne wrote:
dakky21 wrote:Is EXP ... Expert or Experimental?

I think it should be Experimental. Having Experimental in a thread title takes up too much space

Then you can't have BEG for beginner, INT for intermediate. INT could then be INTernational lol.

I'd sort it this way:
BEG - beginner
INT - intermediate
EXP - expert

and then
XP- XPerimental

So you could have [BEG XP] if it's easy C9 with something experimental, or [EXP XP] if it is really complicated.

How about using just a first letter to narrow down the title even more...

B, I, E and eventually adding a suffix EXP for experimental. So [E-EXP] for expert experimental?

OR

Classify a difficulty based on a number, where 0 is the total beginner and 9 is the master expert.

So [9-EXP] for Expert Experimental or just [0] for a beginner game

A few more points (i'm just critiquing at this point) One: Dakky What are you using numbers for?
2: There really shouldn't be a beginner experimental class... It just makes no sense. If its a game for beginners, just mark it as beginner if you are gonna use the tag. Likewise for experimental, it hasn't been run before so balance is who knows? The mod can just make a guess. The thing about experimental games that i like is that you have to play the player not the meta. Which frustrates some players for sure, but whatever.
aage wrote: Maybe you're right, but since we receive no handlebars from the mod I think we should get some ourselves.

Corporal 1st Class rishaed

Location: Somewhere in the Foundry forums looking for whats going on!

Postby dakky21 on Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:39 pm

Numbers:
0-total beginner
1-beginner
2-lower intermediate
3-medium intermediate
4-intermediate
5-higher intermediate
6-lower exepert
7-expert
8-master expert
9-experimental
10-master expert experimental

publish the list and name games according to it... simple as that... [10] [name of the game] [x/x]

And you got it sorted properly

and if it's experimental it's always expert, but 7/8 so you can name it [9-7] [name] [x/x]
Captain dakky21

Postby Marashu on Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:31 pm

dakky21 wrote:Numbers:
0-total beginner
1-beginner
2-lower intermediate
3-medium intermediate
4-intermediate
5-higher intermediate
6-lower exepert
7-expert
8-master expert
9-experimental

publish the list and name games according to it... simple as that... [10] [name of the game] [x/x]

and if it's experimental it's always expert, but 7/8 so you can name it [9-7] [name] [x/x]

I know you say it's simple, but I feel like it's making it too complicated, and a little bit arbitrary - for example, what's the difference between medium intermediate and intermediate, besides one being 3 and one being 4? At a quick glance couldn't they be interchangable? And from my point of view, these ratings are just so players can know what to expect from the play level of other players - an experienced player in a beginner game will behave differently than they would in an expert game. Beginner players might struggle with some mechanics in an expert game, but beyond that, it's the players that make the game, so this should be made to be easy for a player to know what they are signing up for and what level of play to expect from other players.
Captain Marashu

Postby rishaed on Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:29 am

dakky21 wrote:Numbers:
0-total beginner
1-beginner
2-lower intermediate
3-medium intermediate
4-intermediate
5-higher intermediate
6-lower exepert
7-expert
8-master expert
9-experimental

If its always expert lets leave out the numbers. All i see here is more characters with arbitrariness involved. This system w/ the numbers IMO will bring nothing but confusion. If you are already using a tag for the title, then just use the tag and drop the numbers. I've never really had a problem with this in my games. I make it clear in the OP that its a certain type of game, and thats how it goes. Also by doing this people might just stick to a specific type such as intermediate or beginner, and beginners might avoid the experimental games all together.
All in all I don't like the number system that you've proposed.
aage wrote: Maybe you're right, but since we receive no handlebars from the mod I think we should get some ourselves.

Postby Streaker on Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:18 am

The numbers get too complicated - and provide little added value imo.
First Tournament Victory: Game 6518858

Image[/quote]
Captain Streaker

Postby dakky21 on Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:44 pm

OK, I agree, but then let's just stick to:
BEG- Beginner
INT- Intermediate
EXP-Expert

And add [Experimental] tag if the game is CYOC or similar non-vanilla game.
Captain dakky21

Postby WingCmdr Ginkapo on Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:07 am

dakky21 wrote:OK, I agree, but then let's just stick to:
BEG- Beginner
INT- Intermediate
EXP-Expert

And add [Experimental] tag if the game is CYOC or similar non-vanilla game.

This doesnt work, as Experimental games tend to have the longest titles.
Major WingCmdr Ginkapo

Postby Marashu on Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:28 pm

maybe ADV for Advanced?
Captain Marashu

Postby dakky21 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:10 pm

Good idea Mars, or just combine EXP and Exp into one single name, since most of the Experimental games are for experts. When did you see CYOC or similar made for beginners?
Captain dakky21

Postby Epitaph1 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:14 pm

I think we're making this too complicated. We don't have that many games going on at any one time, so it shouldn't take too long for people to take a quick read of a sentence or two in the OP about what to expect from the game.

The only three types of games that might make sense to mention in the title is beginner, expert, and official. Everything else is in between. We should always have a beginner game and official game either taking signups or actively running, every other kind of category will come and go.

If it's experimental, that will be explained in the OP anyway.
StorrZerg wrote:i find no joy in this
Major Epitaph1

Postby Streaker on Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:38 am

Epitaph1 wrote:I think we're making this too complicated. We don't have that many games going on at any one time, so it shouldn't take too long for people to take a quick read of a sentence or two in the OP about what to expect from the game.

The only three types of games that might make sense to mention in the title is beginner, expert, and official. Everything else is in between. We should always have a beginner game and official game either taking signups or actively running, every other kind of category will come and go.

This.

-Beginner game standard setups, introducing basic power roles to newer players.

-Official games are for those with some experience in mafia, and a basic understanding of how normal power roles work. New players can join this, but should have read the manuals on how to play mafia. Official games should not have any overly-complicated roles and quirks in them.

-Expert (this maybe sounds a bit difficult, change to 'Advanced'?) games are for those who understand mafia and it's roles, and are ready to play with very complicated and weir roles and quirks in games. In these type of games, mods can define in their opening post just how extreme the power roles will be. One of the first sentences in that OP should be: 'This game requires some experience and understanding in the game of mafia'.
Can include anything from a complicated setup to an experimentel setup à la CYOC.
First Tournament Victory: Game 6518858

Image[/quote]
Captain Streaker

Postby LSU Tiger Josh on Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:16 am

Epitaph1 wrote:I think we're making this too complicated. We don't have that many games going on at any one time, so it shouldn't take too long for people to take a quick read of a sentence or two in the OP about what to expect from the game.

Yall are definitely over complicating it. The opening post (should) have more details about what the setup will be like and what to expect. At least it did back in the days when I was modding and playing here.(just saying)
LSU Tiger Josh
The man, the myth, the legend has returned.
Corporal LSU Tiger Josh

Postby rishaed on Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:05 pm

LSU Tiger Josh wrote:

Yall are definitely over complicating it. The opening post (should) have more details about what the setup will be like and what to expect. At least it did back in the days when I was modding and playing here.(just saying)

Haven't seen you around in awhile either :D... Now just to get people to sign up for a game or two. ;)

Postby StorrZerg on Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:12 pm

Normal (no flavor)
Themed( has flavor)
Mini (smaller games)
Invite only games (invite)
Newbie games ( new games)

another site im on does this

[N] is a Normal Mafia game, [T] is for Themed, [M] is for Mini, [I] for Invite only games, [W] for Newbie games,
Major StorrZerg

Postby dakky21 on Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:51 pm

StorrZerg wrote:[N] is a Normal Mafia game, [T] is for Themed, [M] is for Mini, [I] for Invite only games, [W] for Newbie games,

That could work, but newbies wouldn't know what [X] means... and you're back to the current setup.
Captain dakky21

Postby StorrZerg on Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:11 pm

thats why you have a general topic that explains things.
Major StorrZerg

Postby dakky21 on Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:15 pm

StorrZerg wrote:thats why you have a general topic that explains things.

Newbies don't read the general topics... that is the problem ;)
Captain dakky21

Postby StorrZerg on Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:48 pm

they do if its sticked and looks good
Major StorrZerg

Postby TheForgivenOne on Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:40 am

StorrZerg wrote:they do if its sticked and looks good

I know I didn't :mrgreen:
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Previous

Return to Mafia Discussions