Conquer Club

Making the Foundry a Profit Center

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Making the Foundry a Profit Center

Postby raygo on Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:05 pm

Genealogy:
raygo:
Depends:
Actual Family Tree:
Makes Foundry a Profit Center:
Map Image:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bjhq6X ... sp=sharing

Everyone has a family tree. I am representing to the Conquer Risk Brotherhood that I could forge an alliance with Ancestry.ca to turn their clients family trees into a game. The attached file is an early prototype of the board and game play. I need help to forge this into a beta game so that it can be field tested.

If successful, the valuable skills that exist within this community can be leveraged for more than just self-play.

Anyone interested in working with me to turn my prototype into a forged beta game? If so, I would begin the dialogue with ancestry. Perhaps Cartographers, like Ian, can express and "Executive" perspective on this idea.

With respect and curiosity.
raygo
Private raygo

Re: Making the Foundry a Profit Center

Postby HitRed on Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:47 pm

Many images of deceased people like Winston Churchill are in the public domain. Photos of living family members...likely not. CC would need to have each one's permission. Though possible...I think it's best to shy away from.
Major HitRed

Postby raygo on Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:22 pm

Really good point. Important to rnsure no legal liability for CC. My idea would entail opted in permission since it would originate from ancestry.ca. Money would be changing hands and contractual language would be involved. Not all people would have photos on the site already so others would be provided manually. So opt in permission is reasonable to ask for and receive. I suppose the originating family member would need to contact relevant other family members and represent that permission was granted. If this is a practical nightmare then the idea falls apart. I welcome other perspectives and perhaps creative solutions.
Private raygo

Postby iancanton on Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:36 pm

we currently have one family tree map, poison rome, so we know this concept works.

https://www.conquerclub.com/static/maps ... Rome.S.jpg

an advantage of poison rome is that every single person on the map has been dead for thousands of years, so there are no copyright or privacy issues.

before u go any further with the idea of asking living people to use their family trees, u need to display map versions in ur posts.

u can do this by uploading each map version to an image hosting service such as imgur or flickr, after which u can embed the image url in posts.

ian. :)
Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby raygo on Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:56 am

here is the map image for all to review. thanks for advice.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/194291911@N08/?
Private raygo

Postby HitRed on Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:10 am

raygo wrote:here is the map image for all to review. thanks for advice.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/194291911@N08/?

Look on flicker and see if a link ending in PNG is an option. Then place it in Img.
Major HitRed

Postby raygo on Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:42 pm

Try this. I think I cut off some of the URL earlier. My mistake. Sorry.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/194291911 ... res/5577t0

Ray
Private raygo

Postby HitRed on Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:49 pm

The link is working but the map needs to display without clicking.
Last edited by HitRed on Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major HitRed

Postby iancanton on Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:07 pm

click on ur flickr link, then click on the image itself. in the bottom right of the screen, u'll see a curved arrow which represents the share photo command.

click the arrow, then select the BBCode menu. choose the image size to share: i suggest either 800 x 450, which is within the large image guideline, or 1024 x 576, which must be cut down later.

one part of the image code starts with [img and ends with /img]. copy this code into ur forum post. when u hit the preview or submit button, u'll see the image embedded into it.

ian. :)
Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas