Conquer Club

Fairfax County, VA Map

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Fairfax County, VA Map

Postby metsmaniac89 on Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:37 pm

Fairfax County, Virginia borders the District of Columbia and is one of the fastest growing counties in America. It is home to World Headquarters for many major corporations (ExxonMobil, AOL, General Dynamics) and routinely ranks in the top three counties in America for median income and population growth.

I have a map already drawn up for Risk, but now I have to get a URL for it, before I can post it. Fairfax is also a hotspot for ConquerClub users. The map would have a large following of players from the county and surrounding areas. Northern Virginia is developing into an international powerhouse of resources and this will help put it on the map, so to speak.

Players from NoVA around the surrounding areas should add their input.[/img]
Corporal metsmaniac89

Good Idea

Postby afromuququa on Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:43 pm

What an astute young lad. I agree and believe that this map will be a great addition to the game. I think I hear someone nolia clappin...gotta run.
Private afromuququa

fairfax county map

Postby circusmcguirkus on Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:46 pm

I believe that a fairfax county map would be a good idea for conquer club to begin using. Many of my friends who go to Fairfax County Public Schools are avid conquer club players, and the use of a fairfax county map could perhaps further increase conquer club membership.
Cadet circusmcguirkus

Postby robtheklobb on Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:46 pm

I wholeheartedly concur with metsmaniac89. The addition of the Northern Virginia map would be a great asset to Conquer Club and many members are eager to play such a map. I have seen the map first hand and let me assure you, it is of top-notch quality.
Cadet robtheklobb

URL to Fairfax County, VA Risk Map

Postby metsmaniac89 on Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:47 pm

Corporal metsmaniac89

Postby jseid22 on Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:51 pm

i like the map and feel that it would be routinely played.
Major jseid22

Postby badluck725 on Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:53 pm

i agree with all of the above comments. as stated, fairfax county is one of the busiest up and coming areas in the country, and also has an enormous number of its residents using conquer club. having this map added to the site would be a tremendous asset to not only the conquer club users but the entire conquer club body.
Sergeant badluck725

Postby shroomafied on Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:53 pm

This man has something going on with this idea.

I'd play it constantly.
Corporal 1st Class shroomafied

Postby Enzo_Guy on Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:57 pm

Living in southern Maryland I can vouch that Fairfax would be an interesting map to play, but also consider Washington DC. That has plenty of monuments and such to make territories out of (although I doubt many people will want to battle over southeast, the gangs would be the army there)
Cook Enzo_Guy

Postby UseTheBumper on Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:58 pm

haha. southeast... Im really glad we have someone from Southern Maryland reppin the Ffx County. Thanks man! Did you see the map in the link?
Private 1st Class UseTheBumper

Postby KEYOGI on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:00 pm

LOL. What's going on with all the above posters? They're all fairly new to the site and all posting for the first time. Multi's?

On topic, I doubt this idea will get anywhere near off the ground. There's been a wealth of maps based on American states and such that have been rejected. I predict this will go down the same path.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby UseTheBumper on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:03 pm

haha. not multis. we are all friends from the same area. we communicated on AIM and requested that each other post. We are all very new to the site, but it has grown like a cult.
Private 1st Class UseTheBumper

Postby KEYOGI on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:06 pm

LOL. Fair enough. As much as you and your friends like this map, you're fighting an uphill battle from the start with this map.

Postby metsmaniac89 on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:10 pm

usethebumper's right. we are all good friends. In all, close to 100 of us have joined in the last couple of weeks with no signs of slowing down. While I too think it is unlikely this goes anywhere, I'm not about to stop going through with all of the steps to get it done. If you are unfamiliar with Fairfax, wikipedia it and find out why we deserve the same representation as Montreal or Tamriel!
Corporal metsmaniac89

great idea

Postby GrandHustleKing on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:11 pm

Excellent concept metsmaniac. As an Arlingtonian, I would become addicted to this familiar area and play it regularly. Add Arlington to the map!
Cadet GrandHustleKing

Postby metsmaniac89 on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:15 pm

fairfax outpopulates Baltimore and Washington DC. (wikipedia) and it also is home to the George Mason Patriots who made the final four last year! Fairfax is home to the Headquarters of CapitalOne and SprintNextel. The NRA HeadQuarters are also in Farifax.
Corporal metsmaniac89

Postby KEYOGI on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:20 pm

metsmaniac89 wrote:fairfax outpopulates Baltimore and Washington DC. (wikipedia) and it also is home to the George Mason Patriots who made the final four last year! Fairfax is home to the Headquarters of CapitalOne and SprintNextel. The NRA HeadQuarters are also in Farifax.

Yes, but who cares. I sure as hell don't. Beyond those of you that live there, I'm sure nobody else on here will care much for it either. If you want to spread the word about how magnificent this place is, the foundry's not the place to do it.

Postby RockSnake on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:37 pm

haha key's pretty funny, but metsmaniac...you forgot the CIA, the world's most secretive organization! and Dulles International Airport, Gannett Publishing COmpany (USA TODAY) and the Washington Post. Also, you could note the hundreds of past and present congressional members and former vice presidents and presidents that live in the area!
Sergeant RockSnake

Postby KEYOGI on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:45 pm

:roll:

I could make a map of my home state Victoria in Australia. It's a beautiful and geographically diverse area that would make a great map, but I'm not going to waste my time doing it because it has no mass appeal to the majority of CC members.

Maybe you all should read over the How to Make a Map thread:
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1685

Read Step 1.

Step 1). Idea——Develop a unique idea that has some sort of appeal (preferably mass).

You fail right there. There's no appeal unless you live in the area.

Postby pancakemix on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:52 pm

Ok this is just a bunch of people talking about what they have in fairfax county and keyogi. How about you start making a map. You know, with territories, continents, bonuses, anything? If nothing starts happening I think this should be moved to the social lounge.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby KEYOGI on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:55 pm

The link was posted earlier, not the actual image itself.

"Prefer"

Postby thirdplanet on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:56 pm

Perhaps, Key, you need to look up the definition of 'mass' or 'preferably.' At least 30 members, half of them premium finds this map appealing. We've had about 100 members from the same county found this site recently and want to play this map. That may or may not qualify as mass appeal.

In addition, the description says "preferably." This means that it is not a requirement.

Thank you.
Corporal thirdplanet

Now that I see the map

Postby thirdplanet on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:57 pm

Last edited by thirdplanet on Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal thirdplanet

Re: "Prefer"

Postby KEYOGI on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:59 pm

thirdplanet wrote:Perhaps, Key, you need to look up the definition of 'mass' or 'preferably.' At least 30 members, half of them premium finds this map appealing. We've had about 100 members from the same county found this site recently and want to play this map. That may or may not qualify as mass appeal.

In addition, the description says "preferably." This means that it is not a requirement.

Thank you.

The way I see, these guys are just abusing the foundry system if that's the case. I could gather up a bunch of people from my local area, get them to spam a thread of a ridiculous map and claim it has mass appeal. :idea:

Postby metsmaniac89 on Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:01 pm

thanks thirdplaent for backing me up. Keyogi, Ive been to Australia and it really is gorgeous. Tell me you don't love playing the Australia Map with friends. I think this same kind of entertainment would be provided by a Fairfax County Map.
I don't care if nobody ever played the map except people from the county, but I'm just begging CC to give it a chance. It would probably be more popular than a couple of the preexisting maps. I have read the guidelines and I do appreciate your posting of the map in hte forum, I haven't posted before tonight and I couldn't do that myself. The bottom line is, I already made the map and would have a problem writing the XML.
Corporal metsmaniac89

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas