Conquer Club

Tank Battle (1v1?), update, page 4.

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Tank Battle (1v1?), update, page 4.

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:47 pm

Moved back into the drafting room.

Welcome back (in black) :)

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby Oneyed on Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:58 pm

thank you, nobodies :)

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Re: Tank Battle (1v1?), update, page 4. NO INTEREST?

Postby Oneyed on Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:26 pm

no comments, no critique, no interest?

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby cairnswk on Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:32 pm

Oneyed, everything is slow at present...again :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:42 pm

Ok, it seems nowdays the only way is ask.... Anyone has suggestions for this map? Is everyone ok with moving it to gameplay?
I'm totally happy with the current draft so I have nothing to add at this stage. (I have a ton of graphics suggestions but it's silly to ask to you now to work on graphics)
If no one comes here in the next 24/48 hours with some serious concern, I will pass the map to the gameplay guys.

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby Oneyed on Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:03 am

thanks, nobodies.

thenobodies80 wrote:I'm totally happy with the current draft so I have nothing to add at this stage.

so it seems that every problems from previous versions were solved?

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:56 am

It doesn't matter if all the problems were solved.

The map is obviously advanced enough that it should move forward.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby SuicidalSnowman on Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:26 am

I came a little late but have decently skimmed the prior four pages of comments.

1) I really, really like this map so far. I think what you have done is offered a map with 1v1 strategic game play that doesn't simply rely on incredibly complicated bonuses structures.

2) I also think you have thought about how to bring the feel of a strategic tank battle to CC in a really intuitive way, so kudos there.

3) I would personally like a little more color variation between the two tank sets, or some deeper graphical variation.

4) I can't see the "flags" on the tanks unless I squint.

5) What about the forward tanks, (B1 and B3, G1 and G3) shooting behind them? Is this possible?

6) Piggy backing on that, it isn't entirely clear to me what each tanks' range is. I get the idea you have in the sidebar, but can 2GT2 hit 1BT2? What about 1BT1?

7) I always called the "firing" parts of a tank a "turret" not a tower, but maybe I'm wrong there.

8) I think the background is a little bit underwhelming. I like the rest of the graphics, but background doesn't match up. What do those red spaces represent? Mars rocks? Look at how GC1 is basically straddling two different types of terrain... It takes away from the idea that this map is supposed to demonstrate a strategic tank battle with the tanks randomly placed.

This is a cool idea though, I'll follow this one through.
Private SuicidalSnowman

Postby greenoaks on Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:20 am

the rotating part on top of a tank's hull is called the turret.

and no, i don't think there is much interest in this map outside of the boys in Blue as only 4 players have stopped by with support. it might have something to do with this being another of those pointless maps that seems to be churned out these days.

Knights is a much better 1v1 map. the mapmaker has captured our interest by setting it on something we all know - a chessboard. with moves restricted to that of a knight in chess. brilliant.

here we have some nondescript tanks on some splotches of colour. this is at best, ho-hum.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby greenoaks on Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:16 pm

some additional thoughts of mine.

the idea of a 1v1 using tanks is great but it falls down on the connection with us.

it is like i said, Knights used a chessboard (something we all know) and unusual movement that tied in with that theme.

surely you could grab something from the rich history of tanks used during WW1, WW2 or the Cold War (NATO vs Warsaw Pact). is there a town, a region, a battle that could be the backdrop. gives us the chance to rewrite history.

ie. from WW2, this quote can be found here
The Battle of Prokhorovka, the greatest tank engagement in history and a turning point of WWII, which halted the Nazi assault on the Soviet Union and sent the warfare steamroller back towards whence it came.

and here is the 10 Most Epic Tank Battles in Military History

alternatively you could do a WW3 Cold War themed British/American/French (NATO) vs the USSR dominated Warsaw Pact.
Last edited by greenoaks on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby EricPhail on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:04 am

Not that bothered about the map, but this could end in an eternal stalemate if I'm reading it right:
If both sides are at any point reduced to just a forward tank it appears no progress can be made
eg. Player a is reduced to G2 (Gc2 and/or GT2) as Player B kills say 1G4 from BT2 which is all he has left
neither can bombard the other but given no one has a platoon leader, neither can advance anywhere either assuming I'm reading the legend correctly

oh also the legend is horrible:
tricky to read (bad font/background) , not very clear content wise either, (who can shoot who, that dia tells me almost nothing - can I hit half covered squares? Is it only forward at width +1? or a diagonal cone if unrestricted?)

Could be interesting in concept but doesn't really have that much draw for me ( needs a story or background IMO)
Sergeant 1st Class EricPhail

Postby Oneyed on Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:34 pm

SuicidalSnowman wrote:3) I would personally like a little more color variation between the two tank sets, or some deeper graphical variation.

I thought about any camouflage. but yes I will change colours, each platoon will has another coloured tanks.
SuicidalSnowman wrote:4) I can't see the "flags" on the tanks unless I squint.

they are little and ugly... :) any idea how to mark leader tanks?
SuicidalSnowman wrote:5) What about the forward tanks, (B1 and B3, G1 and G3) shooting behind them? Is this possible?

it is not possible to attack targets from another tank which are in perimeter of these. so no it is not possible.
SuicidalSnowman wrote:6) Piggy backing on that, it isn't entirely clear to me what each tanks' range is. I get the idea you have in the sidebar, but can 2GT2 hit 1BT2? What about 1BT1?

no 2GT2 can not bombards 1BT2 (1BC2). there are barriers. 1BT1 is totaly out of 2GT2s range.
SuicidalSnowman wrote:7) I always called the "firing" parts of a tank a "turret" not a tower, but maybe I'm wrong there.

will change this. thanks.
SuicidalSnowman wrote:8) I think the background is a little bit underwhelming. I like the rest of the graphics, but background doesn't match up. What do those red spaces represent? Mars rocks? Look at how GC1 is basically straddling two different types of terrain... It takes away from the idea that this map is supposed to demonstrate a strategic tank battle with the tanks randomly placed.

the idea was to do something like briefing map with models of tanks. so light green is meadow, dark green is wood, and so on... but I agree that it is not the best.
SuicidalSnowman wrote:This is a cool idea though, I'll follow this one through.

thank you for interest and comment. all your advices are welcome.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby Oneyed on Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:47 pm

to your first post. the graphics is not the best and gameplay needs any work. for this is map here in Drafting room ;)
I am open to each idea, because to do well balanced 1v1 map is hard. also chess has rules in movement and so on, but to bring any movement and live in this map is harder.

greenoaks wrote:sur ;) ely you could grab something from the rich history of tanks used during WW1, WW2 or the Cold War (NATO vs Warsaw Pact). is there a town, a region, a battle that could be the backdrop. gives us the chance to rewrite history.

The Battle of Prokhorovka, the greatest tank engagement in history and a turning point of WWII, which halted the Nazi assault on the Soviet Union and sent the warfare steamroller back towards whence it came.[/quote]

thanks, but I can not do map about any famous battle. as you can see there are a few tanks, so it could be any small struggle. I thought about Kursk (Prokhorovka) but there will be still only several tanks...
greenoaks wrote:alternatively you could do a WW3 Cold War themed British/American/French (NATO) vs the USSR dominated Warsaw Pact.

I made tanks from WWII and it is any struggle in Ardennes.

thank you for interest and comments.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby Oneyed on Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:55 pm

EricPhail wrote:Not that bothered about the map, but this could end in an eternal stalemate if I'm reading it right:
If both sides are at any point reduced to just a forward tank it appears no progress can be made
eg. Player a is reduced to G2 (Gc2 and/or GT2) as Player B kills say 1G4 from BT2 which is all he has left
neither can bombard the other but given no one has a platoon leader, neither can advance anywhere either assuming I'm reading the legend correctly

hm, good point. to solve this it needs just change moves. maybe hold leader tank to move forward only. so even if player will has not hold leader tank he can go back from BC1 to 1BC1.
EricPhail wrote:oh also the legend is horrible:
tricky to read (bad font/background) , not very clear content wise either, (who can shoot who, that dia tells me almost nothing - can I hit half covered squares? Is it only forward at width +1? or a diagonal cone if unrestricted?)

well, as I wrote upper - Drafting room is the right place for critique :)
EricPhail wrote:Could be interesting in concept but doesn't really have that much draw for me ( needs a story or background IMO)

story? which story? the main story was that this is just briefing map about any battle. it is much more free to do any battle as historic.

thank you for input and interest. any advices are welcome.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby Armandolas on Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:43 pm

Please i want to to know the brand of the tank engine. also i want to know the name of those tankdrivers.
How the hell im going to get into a tank if i dont know the drivers name???

PS. i dont play Knights map because it should have had a theme..not only a boring board..on one side it should be Kasparov and in the other side should have Karpov.
Ohhh..the theme is the board itself?...duuuuuhhhhh...so the theme here might be a battle of tanks!!!
Colonel Armandolas

Postby DearCyrus on Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:14 am

Armandolas wrote:Please i want to to know the brand of the tank engine. also i want to know the name of those tankdrivers.

PS. i dont play Knights map because it should have had a theme..not only a boring board..on one side it should be Kasparov and in the other side should have Karpov.
Ohhh..the theme is the board itself?...duuuuuhhhhh...so the theme here might be a battle of tanks!!!

Lol. I have no investment in this map,but I think your critique is dead on. It seems many people on this site have a hard time discerning what makes a "theme".And while the gameplay seems a little questionable on this map,the theme seems quite apparent.
I say continue to work on the gameplay issues Eric phail brought up, and you will be working in the right direction. Also if you plan on spicing up the graphics later, as this is only a draft, maybe say so. That way people don't get to hung up on it, as they know it is already on your to do list.
Corporal 1st Class DearCyrus

Postby greenoaks on Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:24 pm

DearCyrus wrote:
Armandolas wrote:Please i want to to know the brand of the tank engine. also i want to know the name of those tankdrivers.

Lol. I have no investment in this map,but I think your critique is dead on. It seems many people on this site have a hard time discerning what makes a "theme".And while the gameplay seems a little questionable on this map,the theme seems quite apparent.
I say continue to work on the gameplay issues Eric phail brought up, and you will be working in the right direction. Also if you plan on spicing up the graphics later, as this is only a draft, maybe say so. That way people don't get to hung up on it, as they know it is already on your to do list.

we all take an interest in a map for different reasons. outside of the boys in blue this map, with it's current theme of a non-descript tank battle has 4 supporters. you can count them all on one hand and still give this map the finger.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:46 pm

Oneyed, been over a month since the last update. Any idea on when another will be forthcoming?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Oneyed on Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:33 am

to be candid I do not know what with this. and after some critique here even more. (and I do not mean critique bad, it was notices which showed problems with this map).

Oneyed

PS: but I have some others maps which deserve a little interest ;)

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby iAmCaffeine on Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:05 am

I can barely read the legend to figure out how this works.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:45 am

[Moved]

Moved to the melting pot as an update has not been had for over the time period.

Cheers,

koontz1973
Lieutenant koontz1973

Previous

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas