Conquer Club

Battle Legends 11/2 (pg2)(Draft)

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Battle Legends 11/2 (pg2)(Draft)

Postby generalhead on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:40 am

Map Name: Battle Legends
Map Maker: generalhead
Territories: 91

Special Features:
Tower as the main focus.
Gaining allies for battle. Auto deploy only
Its a cool map (in my opinion)

What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made:
Unique game play.
Unique graphics.

Story
show

Map Image:
I don't want this to end up a huge ( I want it more personable). I also don't want the characters to be too small. Let me know what you think. This
game is based off of a 1v1 game that can be played with more players.
I also don't want this a rush to the middle map (We have enough of those. I just want the tower to be a strategic point.
Version 4
Click image to enlarge.

Version 1 (Draft)
show

Version 2
show

Version 3
show

Version 4
show
Last edited by generalhead on Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:23 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Sergeant generalhead

Re: Battle Legends

Postby Teflon Kris on Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:30 am

Nice

=D> =D> =D>
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby generalhead on Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:48 am

Teflon Kris wrote:Nice

=D> =D> =D>

Thanks buddy.
Sergeant generalhead

Postby generalhead on Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:50 am

added some drop shadows and changed the color of some banners and flags
Version 2
Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by generalhead on Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant generalhead

Postby ViperOverLord on Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:34 pm

At a glance, the pieces seem crowded.
Major ViperOverLord

Postby generalhead on Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:35 pm

ViperOverLord wrote:At a glance, the pieces seem crowded.

I do have a lot. I can remove some as needed. I will try that with the next draft.
Sergeant generalhead

Postby DearCyrus on Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:47 pm

Maybe a drop shadow of Stroke around your pieces would help with definition against the background, also
Corporal 1st Class DearCyrus

Postby generalhead on Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:22 am

DearCyrus wrote:Maybe a drop shadow of Stroke around your pieces would help with definition against the background, also

That is a good idea. I thought about doing that originally but didn't know how that would look a shadow against the dark figures. I think I will try it for the next update.
Sergeant generalhead

Postby DearCyrus on Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:29 pm

Thanks, lol. I do have good ideas every once in a while. ;)
Maybe a 1px stroke of dark gray could work for both, or a white stroke for the dark and vice versa...
Corporal 1st Class DearCyrus

Postby Bruceswar on Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:03 pm

I would get away from the hex regions... they do not look good if you ask me
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Private 1st Class Bruceswar

Postby generalhead on Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:43 am

Bruceswar wrote:I would get away from the hex regions... they do not look good if you ask me

The map is based off of a game called battle masters. It is far enough removed from the game that it won't have a copy right issue. I am working on a new draft. I will keep the hex regions for now unless more people say they don't like it as if follows the game layout that I want.
Sergeant generalhead

Postby Armandolas on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:54 am

the idea looks nice, and the hexes dont bother me...maybe they are just too big(and the figures inside as well)
i also dont like the idea of having such big autodeploys.
for example, baltic crusades is a very nice map and im sure it will much funnier to play if castle autodeploys wouldnt be so big
Colonel Armandolas

Postby generalhead on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:45 am

Armandolas wrote:the idea looks nice, and the hexes dont bother me...maybe they are just too big(and the figures inside as well)
i also dont like the idea of having such big autodeploys.
for example, baltic crusades is a very nice map and im sure it will much funnier to play if castle autodeploys wouldnt be so big

Thanks Armandolas, I will try and fix all of that in the next draft.
Sergeant generalhead

Postby generalhead on Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:08 pm

I want to see what this looks like before I see about changing the grid size.
The ally flags turned out terrible and the map logo edge looks bad.
The logos in the legends look bad too.
The bridges and the barricades need weathered.
Since I made the characters smaller do you still think the grid needs to be smaller. I don't want this to end up a huge
map like kings courts ( I want it more personable). I also don't want the characters to be too small. Let me know what you think. This
game is based off of a 1v1 game that can be played with more players.
I also don't want this a rush to the middle map (We have enough of those). I just want the tower to be a strategic point.
Click image to enlarge.
Sergeant generalhead

Re: Battle Legends 10/30 (Draft)

Postby Teflon Kris on Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:44 am

My vote goes to making the Hexes less prominent - fade them a bit I say (like the Kings Court series).

:D
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby generalhead on Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:49 am

Teflon Kris wrote:My vote goes to making the Hexes less prominent - fade them a bit I say (like the Kings Court series).

:D

Good idea buddy :)
Sergeant generalhead

Postby generalhead on Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:22 pm

Version 4
Click image to enlarge.
Sergeant generalhead

Postby ViperOverLord on Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:27 am

generalhead wrote:

I do have a lot. I can remove some as needed. I will try that with the next draft.

Or you could create more spaces. I'm not against a multitude of pieces.
Major ViperOverLord

Postby Seamus76 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:05 pm

generalhead wrote:

Just my opinions:

- I don't think any pieces need to be removed, but I do think they, and more importantly, the rest of the map needs to be shrunk down a bit. It all seems too big to me.
- I think part of the hexes being too big makes me miss some kind of border around the entire map, and making the hexes and everything inside smaller will give you that room.
- The opacity of the hexes could be toned down a bit, but it's your map so go with your personal preference.

Keep up the good work.
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Postby generalhead on Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:07 am

Seamus76 wrote:
generalhead wrote:

Just my opinions:

- I don't think any pieces need to be removed, but I do think they, and more importantly, the rest of the map needs to be shrunk down a bit. It all seems too big to me.
- I think part of the hexes being too big makes me miss some kind of border around the entire map, and making the hexes and everything inside smaller will give you that room.
- The opacity of the hexes could be toned down a bit, but it's your map so go with your personal preference.

Keep up the good work.
Thank you Seamus :)

ViperOverLord wrote:
generalhead wrote:

Or you could create more spaces. I'm not against a multitude of pieces.

Thanks fellas for you input. I have been thinking about this a while and I am going to make the hexes smaller. A border sounds like a good idea too. I am thinking of a new way to do allies. I was also thinking of adding an imperial castle and a drove castle. I also want to redo the mountain border as I am not happy with it.
Sergeant generalhead

Re: Battle Legends 11/2 (pg2)(Draft)

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:33 pm

Warning you are about to be hit by a wall of text!

I like the basic concept of this map very much. Especially as a boardgamegeek member and avid player of many board games it strikes me at the core. I am also a big fan of applying the CC game mechanics to other styles of games to create a completely unique gameplay experience.

Now let me see if I can offer some advice on the gameplay and possibly layout and graphics of this map.

Total territories 91 which breaks down as follows.

- 1 Tower
- 2 Dragons
- 2 Bridges
- 12 Allies
- 22 Characters
- 52 open hexes (i didn't count these I just subtracted the above counts)

Starting Positions: I assume you plan to random drop the 52 open hexes with player starts. These look prety good if this is your intention.

- 2 Player game (52/3) each player starts with 17 remaining 18 neutral.
- 3 Player game (52/3) each player starts with 17 remaining 1 neutral.
- 4 Player game (52/4) each player starts with 13.
- 5 Player game (52/5) each player starts with 10 remaining 2 neutral.
- 6 Player game (52/6) each player starts with 8 remaining 4 neutral.
- 7 Player game (52/7) each player starts with 7 remaining 3 neutral.
- 8 Player game (52/8) each player starts with 6 remaining 4 neutral.
- 9 Player game (52/9) each player starts with 5 remaining 7 neutral.
- 10 Player game (52/10) each player starts with 5 remaining 2 neutral.
- 11 Player game (52/11) each player starts with 4 remaining 8 neutral.
- 12 Player game (52/12) each player starts with 4 remaining 4 neutral.

I wouldn't drop on anything else though. That way you can set the starts on Allies and the Dragons to 5 or 7 to gate entry. The bridges should probably be set to 1 or 2 to make it easy to cross as those are great choke points but shouldn't slow early expansion.

Win Condition: Hold 7 allies of the available 12 allies to win the game, or eliminate your opponents of course. This seems prety good but you should probably move the river or allies so that you need at least 1 from the area that is on the right side of the river. That way the bridges become a strategic point for victory.

Bonuses: As far as I can tell their is an autodeploy at the tower of 2. Every 2 "Characters" provide a +1 bonus. And I am guessing that you are using the standard +1/3 (minimum 3) of standard CC map gameplay. This means a minimum 3 deploy-able troops per turn and if you hols 1/2 of the map you would be getting 13 troops. You may want to grant a bonus for every 2 allies of say +3 so for that extra bonus and to make it just a touch faster. Especially if you start allies with 5 or 7 neutral.

Hex Grid: I know you want to represent two sides at war with the territories labeled HA and A but to be honest you should use a uniform system for your hexes at least for now. Label each column with a letter then as you go down the hexes from top to bottom give it a number. A1, A2, A3, next column B1, B2, B3. You can add text to the XML to differentiate it further so "Ally12" could be "A1" on the map and "A1 - Ally" in the XML.

You should also do you best to fit all the active hexes on the map, try not to cut any off. Make the whole grid slightly narrower and shorter and show the entire hex for HA1, HA2, HA3, HA10, A16, A23,A24 (mislabeled A214),A25. It will make it much cleaner.

Tower: Autodeploy 2. Bombards up to 2 hexes away. --- The tower is in a great location as it is centrally located and has nothing blocking line of sight to any of the 18 hexes that it can bombard. It can bombard 5 of the maps 22 characters. Consider marking each hex that can be bombarded with a small symbol to denote it can be bombarded and note that in the key.

Characters: I get what you are going for here but I am not sure that I get the sense that characters mean much from the way they are represented. Perhaps you could give them short names instead of labeling their hexes as I suggested above. Short 5 letter names like Garl, Halan, Burl etc would make it seem a bit more epic. You should consider separating the characters by at least 1 space each so that nobody can grab one from another.

Allies: I like the concept of allies that are needed to gain access to the tower as well as grant you the win if you can persuade enough of them to join your cause. Consider havimg them grant an additional bonus as I detailed above. The basic mechanics of a game engine like CC are the 4X concept; eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate and any time your gameplay utilizes one of those things it becomes attractive to the players.

Key Wording: Their is a bit of confusing wording on the map. You note that Dragons can attack the tower then follow it with a requirement of holding 4 allies to attack the tower. So it appears as if the tower may not be assaulted unless you hold 4 allies even by Dragons.

Dragons: I like the Dragon concept but I think you should allow dragons to bombard each other as well as assault the tower. This way it feels like waging a war for the skies. Also make them unique, name them like Smaug is named in LotR or give them colors, for instance make one Red and the other Green so they have a personality.

Iconography: Make sure you are using icons that are either open source or from a free font pack or an image that you have purchased the rights to via something like 123rf etc. Remember that some free fonts or royalty free images state that they cannot be used for profit with ought consent or additional purchased rights and because CC changes for premium memberships that could make you liable for their use.

I would recommend taking all of your key text and putting it in your original post so that you have a central resource and people don't have to read the map to get the idea of whats is going on and it will help you later to develop the key on the map. This way you won't feel limited by the space available on the map and can instead focus on gameplay first. See my link for Conquer 500 or Krazy Kingdoms below to get an idea of how to detail your original post, or possibly how to overdo it a bit ;)

Overall great job on bringing your idea this far. I hope you will find this informative and interesting and hopefully some of what I suggested will help you get this map into the drafting room and beyond. Good luck with your map I look forward to watching it's development.

=D13=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas