Conquer Club

Electoral college

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Electoral college

Postby 40kguy on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:31 pm

I was wondering if someone wanted to make a map based on the electoral college.

Each voting district would be a territory and your would need to hold a majority of the voting districts in the state to get a bonus.

I'm not going to do it, I'm to lazy to make a map. I was just wondering if someone else wanted to do it.
16:00:18 ‹Pixar› Valentines Day the one day in they year that the V and the D come together
Cook 40kguy

Re: Electoral college

Postby ManBungalow on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:51 pm

No thanks.

USA has been done so much, and....well, it's just not an idea that appeals to me in any way.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby isaiah40 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:35 pm

Seeing that this is just an idea for a map, it has been [MOVED].
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby greenoaks on Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:09 pm

sounds boring.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:25 pm

Honestly a political map of the united states could be fun to play if it were done right. Not just trying to conquer electoral college votes. But adding fund raiding and other campaigning elements might make it a worthwhile endeavor.
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby degaston on Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:43 pm

I don't think this would work well at the district level. There are 435 of them, and many are gerrymandered into extreme shapes that would be difficult to show on a map. Then, there's the fact that the winner of a state may not have won the most voting districts, just the most votes statewide.

I have an idea for an electoral college map, but it is not possible with the current xml. It could be a conquest-style map where each player starts with a political party as a base. All states would start as neutrals with their electoral vote count (55 for California, etc.) States do not attack each other, but territories representing media, activists, special interests, etc. would provide bonuses and open up conditional attacks on multiple states. The objective would be to control states worth 270 electoral votes... and there's the problem. There are over 51 trillion different possible ways to accumulate 270, 271, 272 or 273 electoral votes, and I don't think there's any way to code this in the current xml.

I've submitted a suggestion for an xml change that would allow this, in case anyone's interested.
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=199843
universalchiro wrote:@degaston: whatever dude you win, you have it all figured out. You have out smarted even God.
Brigadier degaston

Postby ViperOverLord on Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:54 pm

I proposed Red State/Blue State back in the day. The idea got scorched. Rightfully so, possibly.
Major ViperOverLord

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas