Conquer Club

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Donald Fung on Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:30 am

I'm sure a lot of you have watched Avatar: The Last Airbender or the Legend of Korra. I found the map from the show very interesting and have wanted to see this on CC for a long time. Recently, I found a map online that's really good and fit for game play except I'm not sure if we can use that exact map on CC (not sure about copyright issues and stuff). If we can't, I think it's still a great idea to work off of and we can have someone change the design. So what do you guys think?

Click image to enlarge.
Colonel Donald Fung

Re: Avatar (The Last Airbender) Map

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:59 pm

One word "COPYRIGHT" And this should be in Map Ideas rather than here.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Donald Fung on Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:45 pm

Where is map ideas?
Colonel Donald Fung

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:02 am

Donald Fung wrote:Where is map ideas?

Here --> viewforum.php?f=63
One of the CA's can move this there instead of you starting a new thread. ;)
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:11 am

So we have seen this before and it was rejected because of intellectual property / copyright issues. Even when it was reworked so as not not violate this it was nothing more than a conquer the world map with no interesting gameplay.

Start with your own ideas. Come up with a short story to explain it that is original or at least is something from real history (with the names changed to protect the guilty). And put together something with that theme and try again. I think that you can come up with something that would appeal to the CC community.

For example. Their was once a Mars map being created. It had a great theme and all it was,was a upside down and backwards classic map. But it had great art and looked like a cool pulp sci-fi style map. It lacked anything special in terms of gameplay that would set it apart from the classis map but their were many players who wanted to play the map. I can't remember why it never made it through the foundry but it is ideas like that which are both simple and original that make for great CC maps.

=D13=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby Donald Fung on Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:18 pm

dolomite13 wrote:So we have seen this before and it was rejected because of intellectual property / copyright issues. Even when it was reworked so as not not violate this it was nothing more than a conquer the world map with no interesting gameplay.

Start with your own ideas. Come up with a short story to explain it that is original or at least is something from real history (with the names changed to protect the guilty). And put together something with that theme and try again. I think that you can come up with something that would appeal to the CC community.

For example. Their was once a Mars map being created. It had a great theme and all it was,was a upside down and backwards classic map. But it had great art and looked like a cool pulp sci-fi style map. It lacked anything special in terms of gameplay that would set it apart from the classis map but their were many players who wanted to play the map. I can't remember why it never made it through the foundry but it is ideas like that which are both simple and original that make for great CC maps.

=D13=

I am aware of the copyright issues, this map is just a basis for my idea. Also, this map can be turned into a map that incorporates special gameplay. The water tribes could have a spirit portal that connects the north and south poles. The air temples could have flight ability that allow them to attack one another even though they are spread apart and I could make it so that they are only attackable through Republic City or Air Temple Island. I am not sure how appealing it is the the CC Community but I am sure there are Avatar fans out there that would be interested in playing on this map.

Another idea I had in mind was a fantasy world map that would connect all the fantasy worlds from books and television shows together (ex. Narnia, Terebithia, Middle Earth, Seven Kingdoms, etc.) What do you think of that idea? I am not sure if it was done before so pls let me know if it was.

Personally, I am not a fan of complex maps like Hive, AOR, Oasis, etc. they just seem too confusing and unfortunately, I don't want to dedicate the time to learn them for now. I am cool with special gameplay though, those are always fun.
Colonel Donald Fung

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:22 am

I would caution you against any sort of map based on intellectual property that you do not have rights to. It simply will not get the green light on this site. Television is still far too new to have its IP in the public domain. The reason you have seen so many movies like Jack the Giant Slayer, or Hansel & Grettle Witch Hunters is because those old fairy tales went into the public domain. Do some checking and find something in the public domain or a historical war to base your map on.

=D13=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby Donald Fung on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:21 am

dolomite13 wrote:I would caution you against any sort of map based on intellectual property that you do not have rights to. It simply will not get the green light on this site. Television is still far too new to have its IP in the public domain. The reason you have seen so many movies like Jack the Giant Slayer, or Hansel & Grettle Witch Hunters is because those old fairy tales went into the public domain. Do some checking and find something in the public domain or a historical war to base your map on.

=D13=

That explains why there almost no maps based on books and TV shows here. I thought that that was the case because not many people were interested in creating one and was unaware that they were not allowed. As for historical war, I think most possibilities have been covered already through CC's 250 maps. Sure, there is always stuff like Mongol Invasion or Chinese Civil War but those would be very similar to the Eurasia and China map, respectively. Not much uncovered ground to work on.

There have been great fantasy maps created such as the Westeros map: viewtopic.php?f=242&t=147699. It is a shame that they are not allowed due to copyright issues. Would it work if the name is changed?
Colonel Donald Fung

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas