Conquer Club

Burger Wars

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Burger Wars

Postby Minister X on Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:33 pm

Map Name: Burger Wars
Mapmaker(s): Minister X
Number of Territories: TBD
Special Features: TBD
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made: Whimsy, the opportunity for some fun graphics of mouth-watering burgers, a theme to which nearly everyone can relate. Unique use of USA outline but no state borders.

Map Image:
[bigimg]Image[/bigimg]

I googled "interesting maps" and the underlying one here was one of the first listed. That's a good sign because it implies that lots of people are curious about which chains predominate where. To see the underlying map in all its glory click https://assets3.thrillist.com/v1/image/1483376/1584x1054/crop;jpeg_quality=60.jpg. All I've done is outline some areas of chain predominance. This will be a USA map but with zero reference to state borders. That alone would make this unique at CC. "Fractured America" ignores some borders but uses others. This would be the only map of the USA that uses ONLY the outline and has only thematic borders in the interior. I'd obviously not use that Trrillist map at all, just my own graphic based on it. I'd probably get rid of Alaska and Hawaii. Eh... maybe not.

The terts I've drawn are utterly preliminary, merely to express the general idea. Some of these terts belong to the same chain and that's okay. We can award a special bonus for owning all the Carl's Jr. regions et cetera. Large regions can be subdivided. The regions that encompass a mix of chains could be assigned based on a rough eyeballing of which one predominates (with a bias in favor of whatever enhances gameplay).

Think of all the cool decorative graphics we could employ. The outermost border of the map could be lines of french fries. We can have lettuce, tomatoes, onion slices, cheese slices, pickle chips, single-, double- and triple-stack burgers. Sodas and milkshakes. These could even become their own terts and regions outside the US border. Try this: a bonus if you own all the ingredients needed to make a burger: bun, meat, et cetera. Unfortunately, I assume we'd be unable to employ company logos even though the fair use doctrine would probably apply. But that's fine; all those logos together would just be a clutter.

I'd be wide open to suggestions for special features. I'm generally biased toward liking simple maps without them but for a fun map like this perhaps some would be appropriate. Does this have merit so far? Does the combination of whimsy and consumer geo-sociology have enough appeal?
Major Minister X

Re: Burger Wars

Postby riskllama on Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:47 pm

certainly a unique idea, that's for sure... ;) .
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby HitRed on Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:51 pm

In before 2dimes falls in love.
Major HitRed

Postby 2dimes on Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:30 am

I'll start by scolding Minister X for writing he would probably get rid of Hawaii. Obviously that is a territory that until around the turn of the century definitely belonged to Zippy's. You might want to split it into a few separate islands to make it worth a bonus.
Private 1st Class 2dimes

Postby Minister X on Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:57 am

What? No love for Alaska??
Major Minister X

Postby 2dimes on Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:37 am

I have not been to Alaska yet and don't know if they have a local burger chain.
Private 1st Class 2dimes

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas