Conquer Club

Colombia Map

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Colombia Map

Postby Falkomagno on Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:56 am

Map Name: Colombia
Mapmaker(s): Falkomagno
Number of Territories: 32
Special Features: Starting Neutrals, autodeploys
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made:

- The shape of the country makes a pleasant size, being relatively square while keeping accurate
- The proposed number of territories makes it a quick map to play, very adequate for 1v1
- South American countries are in general very underrepresented on the website

Map Image:

The 32 Departamentos:
Click image to enlarge.

The 5 regions:

So the bonus system would be:

Region Amazonica +5
1. Amazonas (Leticia)
2. Caquetá (Florencia)
3. Guainía (Puerto Inírida)
4. Guaviare (San José)
5. Putumayo (Mocoa)
6. Vaupés (Mitú)

Region Orinoquia +3
1. Arauca (Arauca)
2. Casanare (Yopal)
3. Meta (Villavicencio)
4. Vichada (Puerto Carreño)

Region Caribe +6
1. Atlántico (Barranquilla)
2. Bolívar (Cartagena de Indias)
3. Cesar (Valledupar)
4. Córdoba (Montería)
5. La Guajira (Riohacha),
6. Magdalena (Santa Marta)
7. Sucre (Sincelejo)
8. San Andrés, Providencia y Santa Catalina (San Andrés)

Region Andina +8
1. Antioquía (Medellin)
2. Boyacá (Tunja)
3. Caldas (Manizales)
4. Cundinamarca (Bogota)
5. Huila (Neiva)
6. Norte de Santander (Cucuta)
7. Quindío (Armenia)
8. Risaralda (Pereira)
9. Santander (Bucaramanga)
10. Tolima (Ibague)

Región Pacífico +3
1. Choco (Quibdó)
2. Valle del Cauca (Cali)
3. Cauca (Popayán)
4. Nariño (Pasto)

If there is some positive feedback about this proposal, I will create the map with those elements, and start to develop the aesthethics, after first validating the content and general shape.
Sergeant 1st Class Falkomagno

Location: Even in a rock or in a piece of wood. In sunsets often

Re: Colombia Map

Postby HitRed on Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:26 am

Welcome to The Foundry.

:)

HitRed
Major HitRed

Postby Falkomagno on Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:33 pm

Thank you Hitred! What do you think about this idea?

Postby Mad777 on Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:20 pm

Nice! We need lots of new map ;)
".....We are Groot!....."
Captain Mad777

Postby HitRed on Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:26 pm

Falkomagno wrote:Thank you Hitred! What do you think about this idea?

In a random drop this is a great map. Nothing looks easy to take in 4 rounds or less. Each player will have a dizzilng time deciding where to drop first. Orinoquia might be +2 or add 1 more terr.
Major HitRed

Postby iancanton on Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:37 pm

since the map has not yet started to be made, i'm putting this in the melting pot.

although an image of the size shown is too large, i assume it's there only to demonstrate the suitability of the theme.

a plus point is that the 32 departamentos are all real and not made-up.

the andina bonus needs to be at least double its current value or some other method found to make it playable, such as the bonus being to hold any 8 departamentos andinas.

u'll also have to find a way to link san andrés sensibly with the rest of the map, given that san andrés is over 700km away from any other departamento. by sensibly, i mean that it should be more difficult to reach san andrés than, for example, to go from choco to antioquía.

i note that u list a city for each departamento. i personally prefer the use of city names instead of departamento names, simply because i believe that 99% of non-colombian cc players cannot name even one colombian departamento, whereas a reasonable minority of players have heard of one or more colombian cities.

ian. :)
Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby IcePack on Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:51 pm

i note that u list a city for each departamento. i personally prefer the use of city names instead of departamento names, simply because i believe that 99% of non-colombian cc players cannot name even one colombian departamento, whereas a reasonable minority of players have heard of one or more colombian cities.

Not really a comment on the map per say, but response to this. One of the things I like about CC is it expands my geographical knowledge of various areas.

While familiarity might be nice in some instances, it’s also nice to sometimes have the opposite affect where you are learning new things from a map
Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Falkomagno on Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:24 pm

Thanks a lot Ian for the pointers! . My thoughts about it:
iancanton wrote: the andina bonus needs to be at least double its current value or some other method found to make it playable, such as the bonus being to hold any 8 departamentos andinas.

I just put the approx. value of the regions, as a first iteration but going to double for Andina seems a lot. I am checking similar size maps, and for instance in the Irland map, a region with 8 territories gets only +4, but of course, in the case of Andina is also the issue with the connectivity, as it is really in the middle. Is it there any formula that I can use to calculate bonus, in function of number of territories and connections?

iancanton wrote: a plus point is that the 32 departamentos are all real and not made-up.

True! There is though the issue of Caldas, Risaralda and Quindio, which are very small compared to the others and in the practice is the “Coffee Region”, so if I unified them in a single territory, it would be 30 territories in total. But perhaps I can make it work graphically with the departamentos as they are.

iancanton wrote:u'll also have to find a way to link san andrés sensibly with the rest of the map, given that san andrés is over 700km away from any other departamento. by sensibly, i mean that it should be more difficult to reach san andrés than, for example, to go from choco to antiochia.

Great idea indeed. I was thinking to link it, like it is in reality, via airport lines with Bogota, Medellin, Cali, and Cartagena. It is really almost exclusively accessible only by plane

iancanton wrote:i note that u list a city for each departamento. i personally prefer the use of city names instead of departamento names, simply because i believe that 99% of non-colombian cc players cannot name even one colombian departamento, whereas a reasonable minority of players have heard of one or more colombian cities.

Yes, each Departamento has a Capital city, which is the one listed. Another option is to make it departamento plus capital, then doubling the number of territories to 64, but I am more inclined to keep it in 32 either as departamentos or as capital cities of the departamentos.

Postby iancanton on Sat May 01, 2021 6:32 pm

Falkomagno wrote:
iancanton wrote: the andina bonus needs to be at least double its current value or some other method found to make it playable, such as the bonus being to hold any 8 departamentos andinas.

I just put the approx. value of the regions, as a first iteration but going to double for Andina seems a lot. I am checking similar size maps, and for instance in the Irland map, a region with 8 territories gets only +4, but of course, in the case of Andina is also the issue with the connectivity, as it is really in the middle. Is it there any formula that I can use to calculate bonus, in function of number of territories and connections?

try the map bonus calculator.

viewtopic.php?f=649&t=151297#p5035731

Falkomagno wrote:
iancanton wrote:a plus point is that the 32 departamentos are all real and not made-up.

True! There is though the issue of Caldas, Risaralda and Quindio, which are very small compared to the others and in the practice is the “Coffee Region”, so if I unified them in a single territory, it would be 30 territories in total. But perhaps I can make it work graphically with the departamentos as they are.

if some departamentos look too small, then u can increase their size and adjust their shape and location so that troop circles fit nicely, while still keeping the same connections between departamentos. this enables the map to show the complete list of departamentos (or capitals of departamentos).

Falkomagno wrote:
iancanton wrote:u'll also have to find a way to link san andrés sensibly with the rest of the map, given that san andrés is over 700km away from any other departamento. by sensibly, i mean that it should be more difficult to reach san andrés than, for example, to go from choco to antiochia.

Great idea indeed. I was thinking to link it, like it is in reality, via airport lines with Bogota, Medellin, Cali, and Cartagena. It is really almost exclusively accessible only by plane

having the five airports that u mention will work.

ian. :)
Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas