Conquer Club

Classic 2.0 (v11)--56 Territories--PAGE 12 [Abandoned]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Any Interest?

Total votes : 0

Classic 2.0 (v11)--56 Territories--PAGE 12 [Abandoned]

Postby Kaplowitz on Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:09 pm

CLASSIC 2.0 by Kaplowitz
v11
(click image for full size)

Territories: 56
Continents: 6
Updates: 11

-Changed the bonuses of Africa and South America to 4
-smoothed borders of the US

Were those divisions of Ukraine good or should they be changed?
Western Russia a good name?

------------------
v10

-Changes to Scandinavia, Ukraine can attack Norway
-Removed Sahara Desert
-Changes to US
-New title?
-------------------
v9

-Changed names in US
-Changed the bonus of Africa to 5

--------------------
v8

-Moved New Zealand
-Added Key
-------------------
v7

-Removed: Columbia, Western Europe, Chile
-Added: California, Iberia, France
-Changed borders of Mongolia so that Korea connects to Kamchatka rather than Mongolia.
-Added connection from China to Korea.
--------------------
v6

-REVAMP!
-Switched colors of Europe and Asia
-Added New Zealand :roll:
-Removed Madagascar

---------------------
v5

-Fixed the legend to match the current land.
-Small map!

----------------------
v4

-Changed color of Oceania
-Fixed spelling of Colombia, Venezuela, and Svalbard

----------------------
v3

-SA to 4
-Took out extra attack line

----------------------
v2
Additions and Changes to the Classic Map:
*Nunavut
*Sri Lanka
*Svalard
*Philippines
*Falkland Islands
*Hawaii
*Columbia
*Galapagos
*Caribbean Islands
*Scandinavia-->Norway
*Sweden
*Finland
*Chile
*Korea
+*Sahara Desert

bold: This update

Original Post:
-----------

48 territories
6 continents
1 map

Classic 2.0

army numbers are not real btw

Large
http://i32.tinypic.com/2ibktwj.png[/img]

Small
http://i25.tinypic.com/mbip1d.png[/img]
Last edited by Kaplowitz on Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:35 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby the_fatty on Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:15 pm

may i be the first to say that this is great. I would love to see this be quenched. i always wanted something like the classic map + a couple of extra territories. Good job Kaplowitz!
wicked wrote:agreed, I'm scum. vote wicked.
Dariune wrote:Who said thaf > if i dont (f*ck SAKE!!!) go soon shi gfonna get in troubl with Jen. Teehee

I not drunk im tipsy and my key board is shite thats akl
Private the_fatty

Postby bryguy on Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:04 pm

add that little boot shaped island off the coast of australia and connect that to argentina
Corporal bryguy

Postby a-person1192 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:54 pm

looks great, the continents are off shaped but looks great.
If I was lying wouldn't my pants be on fire?
Cook a-person1192

Postby Incandenza on Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:00 am

Seriously? Why deal with the hassle of trying to do classic 2.0?
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby Skittles! on Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:13 am

bryguy wrote:add that little boot shaped island off the coast of australia and connect that to argentina

You mean New Zealand?
KraphtOne wrote:when you sign up a new account one of the check boxes should be "do you want to foe colton24 (it is highly recommended) "
Private Skittles!

Postby Tieryn on Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:23 am

^^ or italy? :P
Sergeant 1st Class Tieryn

Postby bryguy on Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:16 am

Skittles! wrote:
bryguy wrote:add that little boot shaped island off the coast of australia and connect that to argentina

You mean New Zealand?

ya that place
Corporal bryguy

Postby bryguy on Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:17 am

wow this is weird, everyones been complaining that they dont like the classic map, yet they suddenly think its fine
Corporal bryguy

Postby rustlemania on Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:22 am

i think this is a great idea...
my biggest problem with the classic map was the colors, and the cheezy as heck neon lighting borders...
keep this going!
Major rustlemania

Re: Classic 2.0

Postby premio53 on Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:15 am

Kaplowitz wrote:48 territories
6 continents
1 map

Classic 2.0

army numbers are not real btw

Large

Small

I wouldn't be opposed if more territories were added as long as they don't become jumbled. When playing on World2.1 I always have a hard time distinguishing what is connected to what especially around Europe. I believe clearly marked territories are one of Classic's strong suits as well as the fact that I grew up on it.

What you have here is great though. With the poll running almost 50/50 I would say there is a LOT of interest in this project.
Lieutenant premio53

Postby DiM on Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:37 am

we already have 3 classic maps fit for all kinds of games. doodle, classic and world 2.1

classic has 42 terits which is perfect for a medium duration game. adding a few more terits to make a total of 48 and calling it classic 2.0 is a bad idea. then what will we do next? add 12 more to get too 60 and call it classic 3.0? or perhaps have 20 intermediary classic maps ranging from 42 terits (classic) to 113 terits (world 2.1)?
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby premio53 on Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:48 am

DiM wrote:we already have 3 classic maps fit for all kinds of games. doodle, classic and world 2.1

classic has 42 terits which is perfect for a medium duration game. adding a few more terits to make a total of 48 and calling it classic 2.0 is a bad idea. then what will we do next? add 12 more to get too 60 and call it classic 3.0? or perhaps have 20 intermediary classic maps ranging from 42 terits (classic) to 113 terits (world 2.1)?

The reason it is called "Classic" is because it is the original map that was started around 1959. To expand it I believe is a great idea. I believe it would be very popular. When I look at some of the maps already available that really make no sense to me at all, this map would shine above most of them. If you don't like it you simply would have the option not to play on it.
Lieutenant premio53

Postby DiM on Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:07 am

premio53 wrote:
DiM wrote:we already have 3 classic maps fit for all kinds of games. doodle, classic and world 2.1

The reason it is called "Classic" is because it is the original map that was started around 1959. To expand it I believe is a great idea. I believe it would be very popular. When I look at some of the maps already available that really make no sense to me at all, this map would shine above most of them. If you don't like it you simply would have the option not to play on it.

i know i have the option not to play it. there are plenty of maps i don't like and i don't play but the question is if this is really necessary.

as i said what's the point of making another classic map when we already have 2 other? a smaller one (doodle) and a bigger one (world 2.1)

if this map goes through then what's gonna stop people making the following maps:
classic 3.0 - 54 terits
classic 4.0 - 60 terits
classic 5.0 - 66 terits
classic 6.0 - 72 terits
classic 7.0 - 78 terits
classic 8.0 - 84 terits
classic 9.0 - 90 terits
classic 10.0 - 96 terits
classic 11.0 - 102 terits
classic 12.0 - 108 terits

or why not these smaller ones:

classic 0.9 - 36 terits
classic 0.8 - 30 terits
classic 0.7 - 24 terits

together with the original classic doodle and world 2.1 we would have a total 17 maps of the world. that's crazy.

and not to mention if we do all those it would be a shame to leave world 2.1 unattended so we should make world 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, .... 2.29....2.999...

and if that goes through then why stick just to the classic maps let's do all others. we would simply add 1 terit to each map and call it 1.1 then 1.2 and so on.

we should get to 10 thousand maps by next year.
:wink:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby premio53 on Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:22 am

Code: Select all
[code]if this map goes through then what's gonna stop people making the following maps:
classic 3.0 - 54 terits
classic 4.0 - 60 terits
classic 5.0 - 66 terits
classic 6.0 - 72 terits
classic 7.0 - 78 terits
classic 8.0 - 84 terits
classic 9.0 - 90 terits
classic 10.0 - 96 terits
classic 11.0 - 102 terits
classic 12.0 - 108 terits

or why not these smaller ones:

classic 0.9 - 36 terits
classic 0.8 - 30 terits
classic 0.7 - 24 terits [/code]

That could be said of ANY map. There is only one "Classic" and I believe with it expanded it would be the most popular map on CC. Like I said, just look at some of the maps we have and some in the making that only appeal to a small niche and then realize that the Classic map is what brought CC to life in the first place. I say go for it.
Lieutenant premio53

Postby illusions850 on Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:47 pm

europe is disproportionately large. especially considering that in real life, alaska is about as big as europe.

and i think this map is useless. it seems to me that its the exact same map, just with different graphics. speaking of the graphics, i am of the opinion that they are much too bland. too much brown.
Cadet illusions850

Postby Kaplowitz on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:48 pm

Wow, its tied right now!

illusions850 wrote:europe is disproportionately large. especially considering that in real life, alaska is about as big as europe.

and i think this map is useless. it seems to me that its the exact same map, just with different graphics. speaking of the graphics, i am of the opinion that they are much too bland. too much brown.

1- Europe is bigger than Alaska as you can see here:

and in CC's current Classic map:

even if it is a bit exaggerated, it would make little sense to have 1 territory to be bigger than a whole continent.

2- there are a few changes, but i understand your opinion. Thats basically what i expected as many responses.

3- Thats how the actual RISK board game looks

4- (bryguy) i dont want to add New Zealand. IMO- One of the greatest things about Classic is Oceania. The Oceania---South America connection would ruin that. Without that connection, NZ would have been worthless.

Postby Kaplowitz on Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:26 pm

Actually, i could change the bg to blue. Would anyone want that?

Postby premio53 on Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:23 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:Actually, i could change the bg to blue. Would anyone want that?

I like a lighter background than the current Classic. The one you show of an actual Risk board is easier for one to distinguish the different armies in my opinion.
Lieutenant premio53

Postby whitestazn88 on Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:31 pm

im totally against this map. classic is classic because, well its classic. dont fuckin make a different map and try to name it classic___.
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby Grooveman2007 on Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:46 pm

whitestazn88 wrote:im totally against this map. classic is classic because, well its classic. dont fuckin make a different map and try to name it classic___.
Private 1st Class Grooveman2007

Postby hecter on Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:05 am

If you're going to go ahead with this map, at least name that "Okikalaqalsfsdlfnsdf" what ever it is (beside North West Territories) to "Nunavut". 'Cause that's what it's called...
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby Incandenza on Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:29 am

So the second question in your poll, "No, i think that Classic is fine the way it is", is kinda loaded, since instead of saying "No, this is not a good idea", you've essentially folded people's feelings about classic into their feelings about this map. More to the point, I don't think classic is perfect, but I also don't think this map is all that good of an idea.

World maps we've got. As Dim pointed out, there's already doodle and classic and 2.1. There's also global warming and (sorta) duck and cover. So there's not much thematically that's very exciting.

Graphics are more subjective. I'm sure there are people that like the look of this map. But I'm not one of them, and it's not even close. I can appreciate that you're trying to make it look more like the game board you posted, but even that game board is pretty butt-ugly... and has such crappy-looking borders, especially in asia, that it would never make it out of final forge. Plus I would imagine that having a map on CC that lifts its color palette and graphics directly from a version of the boardgame would not be a great idea.

The gameplay doesn't really bring anything to the table either.

Like I said, not an idea that has a lot going for it.

I'd also like to respectfully disagree with premio's assertion that this would become the most popular map on CC. In the words of the immortal Ash, "Yeah, and I'm a Chinese jet pilot."

Colonel Incandenza

Postby premio53 on Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:00 am

Code: Select all
World maps we've got. As Dim pointed out, there's already doodle and classic and 2.1.

If doodle is a world map then I'm a Chinese test pilot. The only other world map that amounts to anything is World 2.1 so why not expand on one that has been around for almost 50 years and make it available on a site like this? I still believe it would be the most popular map in a short period of time.
Lieutenant premio53

Postby Incandenza on Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:25 am

Um, doodle is a representation (however stylized) of the world. It is a map. Hence, doodle is a world map. Detail's got nothing to do with it. Unless, of course, you're asserting that doodle represents some other world.

Colonel Incandenza

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas