Conquer Club

Wheel of Time Map | WOT | Tar Valon etc.

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Wheel of Time Map | WOT | Tar Valon etc.

Postby fishfleas on Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:07 pm

I wanted to run some ideas by everyone. I dont' have anything graphically together yet, but I have the concepts layed out on how the map would function.

Wheel of Time Map taken from the series by Robert Jordan.

My general idea at the moment is to take the map in the front of each book and get it onto the computer. I'll have to define some territories and break apart some areas into smaller areas, but that shouldn't be a problem.

One aspect that I wanted to add to this map that would make it a bit fresh from other maps is Cities. Cities would be treated as a territory within a territory.... you would have to conquer the territory containing the city before you could conquer the city. I would also allow you to have "continent bonus" for holding all the major cities. I think this would give the map a bit different play flavor, while providing it with some of the flavor from Wheel of Time.

Any other thoughts on this?
Private fishfleas

Postby johnnyrotten on Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:10 pm

Although I don't have a clue what it is it sounds like a good idea lol
Sergeant johnnyrotten

Postby niMic on Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:18 pm

Anything WoT is good! Go for it! :D
General niMic

Postby thegrimsleeper on Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:24 pm

What about a 1-army bonus for holding a city? 8)
Sergeant 1st Class thegrimsleeper

Postby fishfleas on Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:12 pm

I was trying to come up with something that I hadn't seen before.... the army bonus for a city as you put it would be just like what is done in lotr risk.... I didn't want to just copy that mechanic...... and the cities offer a spread out continent.... which I think would be kinda unique. :)
Private fishfleas

Postby niMic on Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:59 am

So, are you going through with this or? It would kick arse :>
General niMic

Postby Mjolnirs on Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:36 am

A Wheel of Time map would be great. There are many Sci/Fantasy maps that could be fun in Risk. Imagine a map of Pern (Anne McCaffrey) or Westeros (George RR Martin) or even a World Map of Barsoom for all the old school ERB fans.
Sergeant 1st Class Mjolnirs

God of Mars

Postby Scarus on Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:18 pm

OMG! Barsoom is a name that I've not heard for a very long time...lol

If you're looking for some kind of new incentive for capturing Cities or Fortresses perhaps you could look to changing the way that the dice work. i.e. by owning the capital city you might get to throw an extra dice in defending that city, or territory. Don't know if something like that would work, just trying to think of fresh alternate incentives....

Scarus
Been playing Risk for a bit

Proud Member of xiGames, where Friends Kill Friends, with Honor
Sergeant 1st Class Scarus

Postby Pristella on Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:26 pm

That could be a good idea, just get the permission from Mr Jordan before you publish anything. :) Who knows, maybe he'll end up playing with us here. :wink:
Corporal Pristella

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:32 pm

Permission sounds like a good idea. And you know what else sounds like a good idea? How about a picture so some of the rest of the folks know exactly what we are commenting on: a general feel.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby fishfleas on Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:19 am

Yeah..... I would like to do this.... I"m still trying to find a good map to work off of.... and generally laying out borders.... right now the actual maps divisions are too big. LIke Andor, Cairhien and so forth.... I've got some work things to do this week. I'm going to have to wiat till I have some time to actually get this drawn up. I don't mind if there are any people that have access to good painting programs that would like to help out with the graphics.... I am an artist however I don't have the funds to by photoshop atm. I'm currently saving up to purchase it to work on our computer that we plan on purchasing in the fall. So anyone that would be willing to work with me I don't mind. :) My contact info is in my profile.
Private fishfleas

Postby Nobunaga on Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:53 am

... Last I saw, Illustrator was cheaper than PhotoShop, and (IMHO) better for map graphics. But like I said, that's just my own opinion.

... As concerns the map, I loved WoT... up through about the 5th novel... (as far as I read)... but like has been suggested here at least once - Lack probably won't be able to use such a map without the author's (publishing company's ?) go-ahead. You might want to run that by Lack, just to see if it's even possible ere you invest a lot of time in the project.

... As for seperate city bonuses - it sounds interesting. I think I'd like to try that out - or extra defense dice, as Scarus has mentioned.
Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Postby fishfleas on Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:16 pm

the defense dice has been done in LOTR Risk. Funny you should mention Illustrator.... I just downloaded a trial version of it to try to mess with the map. It looks interesting atm.... I'm trying to figure out what ways to break up "continents". Any Ideas....

Lack, if you dont' think we'll be able to use a map like this please let me know.
Private fishfleas

Postby fishfleas on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:11 am

Another option I am looking at for my map besides the cities is "Waypoints".
This would allow you to move around on the board a bit faster. I've thought of two ways to implement them..... Either have them hidden and have someone discover where they are.... while some might be obvious around cities others might be a bit harder to find...... or just have them around some of the major cities or points where they have been used.

Any Thoughts?
Private fishfleas

Postby fishfleas on Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:13 am

bumping..... lookin for more info and maybe some info from some people who might have some experience with illustrator....
Private fishfleas

Postby niMic on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:02 am

fishfleas wrote:Another option I am looking at for my map besides the cities is "Waypoints".
This would allow you to move around on the board a bit faster. I've thought of two ways to implement them..... Either have them hidden and have someone discover where they are.... while some might be obvious around cities others might be a bit harder to find...... or just have them around some of the major cities or points where they have been used.

Any Thoughts?

Waypoints? You mean as in Waygates?
General niMic

Postby fishfleas on Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:11 pm

yes as waygates... :)
Private fishfleas

Postby fishfleas on Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:56 pm

Here is a general layout of the map. I'm very new to Illustrator, I'm still trying to figure out what all I can do with it.... I'm still lookin for some help in that area. If anyone has some time to help me out with how to do some things on it please message me. :)

After I add in the cities there will be 40 "Territories" I've explained before how that will work.
Private fishfleas

Postby fishfleas on Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:55 am

does anyone have any input yet on this? I haven't had much feedback. I'm going to try to get a bit more improved map up today. I'm still lookin for someone that might be able to give me some more tips with illustrator.
Private fishfleas

Postby Axelius on Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:38 am

It looks cool, but I'd like to see natural formations (forests, mountains, rivers etc.) before I say something, and is Tar Valon going ot "control" that whole area, or is it my WoT geograohy that is failing?
Corporal 1st Class Axelius

Postby fishfleas on Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:59 am

I've had to take some liberties in the "continent" department.

Tar Valon is going to be a Tower. I'm still working on a name for the continent Tar Valon is in.
Private fishfleas

Postby fishfleas on Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:14 pm

Here is an update on my progress.... I'm still trying to figure out this program .... it's still a bit foreign to me.... :) any input you can give would be great.[/img]
Private fishfleas

Postby Jota on Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:21 pm

This looks better to me than the last version. I haven't read Wheel of Time, so I can't really comment a lot on the geography at this point, but I am all in favor of fictional maps in principle.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby fishfleas on Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:26 pm

Thanks I'm trying to make it look even better graphically but I'm kinda lost with the program..... I'm not sure if it's just me or if using a trial version isn't allowing me to do as much as I could. would really help if someone familiar with illustrator would speak up.

As far as the current bonus setup this is whta I have in tentatively.

Red = Andor 10 (I think it's going to be a beast to hold.
Blue= Southwest 5
Pink = South 4
Grey = Southeast 5
Brown = Aiel Waste 3 (I really want to see how this one developes, I want a good bonus for holding those two countries.... if you know anything about the stories you know why. :) )
Bone white = Northern Territories 4
Green = Borderlands 3
Purple = Blight 3
Cities 6
Aes Sedai Towers 2

I'm entertaining more ideas and input on the bonus scheme. Thanks.
Private fishfleas

Postby niMic on Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:00 pm

I don't know if you care much about "historical" considerations, but here's my go if you do.

- Since you're using "directional" names for the other continents (some of 'em), that could work better than Andor for what you've marked as Andor. Purely WoT'ical, there's no way you could call that Andor and get away with it :P (Meaning Toman Head and the Almoth Plain)

- Maybe rename "Emond's Field" to "Two Rivers"? That'd be more geographically correct I think.

- Aringill may be stretching it a bit, since the city is in the very north-west of the territory, and has no real power over the area at all. How about using Haddon Mirk instead?

- Northern Waste would be a bit more north with more "historical" conserns.

Anyway, great map :D I hope you can make this happen, really do.
General niMic

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas