Conquer Club

Wheel of Time Map | WOT | Tar Valon etc.

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Wheel of Time Map | WOT | Tar Valon etc.

Postby natty dread on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:18 am

Should Salidar be added since it was were the rebel Aes Sedai based themselves and what about the Black Tower?

Salidar was the base of rebel Aes sedai for a relatively short time only (about 2 books IIRC). They quickly teleported themselves to siege tar valon.

I guess the question is, what point of the storyline does this map reflect? The events and circumstances all around the world change very dramatically during the series. So if one were to make maps of WoT in the beginning of the series and WoT in after the latest book they'd be very very different maps indeed...

But the biggest problem still is that the map is too large (apart from the copyright issue of course).
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby ustus on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:23 am

you mean too large in dimentions (width by height, not number of territs) right? (just for clarifications, and because I think that since the book is epic fantasy, the map should be large [# of territs]. I mean, it's a big world...)
Corporal ustus

Postby natty dread on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:45 am

ustus wrote:you mean too large in dimentions (width by height, not number of territs) right?

There's no upper limit on territory count, as long as they all fit in the map and are legible. But there is a limit to map size, which is 840x800, although it also indirectly limits the number of territories...

Also the small version of the map can be 630x600 at max. so you need to consider that all territories must be legible and clear in the small version also, which also further limits the number of territories.

Postby jd94 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:22 pm

Should Salidar be added since it was were the rebel Aes Sedai based themselves and what about the Black Tower?

Salidar is in there, its the light green territory beside Altara.

But there is a limit to map size, which is 840x800, although it also indirectly limits the number of territories...

Do you think that I should get rid of the big Aiel waste, going back to the 4 territories for the aiel. Or I could try to make certain parts of the waste smaller, there are alot of big territories. Either way, its going to have to be the waste that i change, because it is the only set of territories that I acctualy made up myself.

The ways are a bit nore difficult. If i can fit the minimap in then thats probably the best way to go, because straight from on waygate to another would make defense to difficult. As I see it, the options are this:
1. Eliminate the ways altogether.
2. Draw the ways lightly over the map, not connecting every waygate to every other one. ex. Arad doman would connect to caralain grass, but not to the white tower, but the grass would, so to get from arad doman capital to the white tower, you would first have to use the ways to attack the Grass capital, then attack the white tower from the Grass.
3. To use the waygates (just waygate to waygate, no inbetween) you would need to hold shangtai (an ogier guide). Shangtai would be a killer nuetral but attackable from alot of places.

I would perfer a combonation of 2 and 3, but what do you guys think.

I guess the question is, what point of the storyline does this map reflect

As of now, i think that the map should reflect the world in the world in the time period of the Eye of the World to befor the end of The Dragon Rebon, as the world has not change to much in that period. If the whole aiel waste is included then the time period should extend to the shadow Rising. Then we could rearange the waste into three different continents (accepting, nuetral opposing the Car'a'carn) Id just rearange the territories.
Corporal jd94

Postby natty dread on Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:34 pm

As of now, i think that the map should reflect the world in the world in the time period of the Eye of the World to befor the end of The Dragon Rebon,

Then you can't include the Seanchan.

Do you think that I should get rid of the big Aiel waste, going back to the 4 territories for the aiel.

That's a possible solution.

The ways are a bit nore difficult. If i can fit the minimap in then thats probably the best way to go, because straight from on waygate to another would make defense to difficult. As I see it, the options are this:

That could be considered. The waygates and ways aren't really central to the story, they only appear in one or two books, and later on when everyone knows traveling the waygates go kinda obsolete.

Postby ustus on Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:28 pm

natty_dread wrote:
As of now, i think that the map should reflect the world in the world in the time period of the Eye of the World to befor the end of The Dragon Rebon,

Then you can't include the Seanchan.

Do you think that I should get rid of the big Aiel waste, going back to the 4 territories for the aiel.

That's a possible solution.

That could be considered. The waygates and ways aren't really central to the story, they only appear in one or two books, and later on when everyone knows traveling the waygates go kinda obsolete.

1 - sounds about right to me. tho the seanchan are central to the plot, they make things much more complicated in other ways.

2 - have you tried just scaling down the map? a lot of your territs are huge. and what program are you using? a better program may let you get smaller font in.

3 - the ways are a huge tactical part of any battle in this world pre-traveling. And traveling would make every territ border every other territ. pointless in this game. So I recomend leaving the ways in as a territ which can be attacked by and can attack any city with a waygate which resets to a small number of neutrals when held for a round. Just my oppinion. There's gotta be space in the sea or something.

Just my opinion(s).
Corporal ustus

Postby kamahl on Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:41 am

Agreed about the Ways territory.

Oh, and I think that Malkier should be included (as a part of the Blight territories).
Cook kamahl

Postby jd94 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:59 pm

Yah, malkierr wuld be good, and i think that i will do the ways that way, with just one big nuetral territory (and maybe you have to control shangtai to get to it). Still waiting for that copyright though, hoping to get it within a couple weeks, hopefully. I appreciate the feedback you guys! :D
Corporal jd94

Postby CreepersWiener on Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:42 pm

THIS MAP SUCKS! COPYRIGHT ISSUES! DUMP IT!

Please click link for appropriate "Your Map Idea Sucks" music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jue04NHfmCI
Army of GOD wrote:I joined this game because it's so similar to Call of Duty.
Sergeant CreepersWiener

Postby jd94 on Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:36 pm

Wo, how about you read the thread, or at lesast the few posts befor this befor you decide that the map sucks :roll: . If you had you would have realized that I have asked for copyright permission and am awaiting a responce! So how about, if you dont like it, some constructive critisism! :x
Corporal jd94

Postby CreepersWiener on Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:24 pm

jd94 wrote:Wo, how about you read the thread, or at lesast the few posts befor this befor you decide that the map sucks :roll: . If you had you would have realized that I have asked for copyright permission and am awaiting a responce! So how about, if you dont like it, some constructive critisism! :x

Dude, I apologize...I was drunk. :oops:

If you get copyright permission from Robert Jordan Estate, then I would say:

THIS IS THE COOLEST MAP EVER! THE WHEEL OF TIME MAP! HURRAY! =D>

However, I would like to point out that your map kind of looks comic-booky...needs some fine tuning.
Army of GOD wrote:I joined this game because it's so similar to Call of Duty.
Sergeant CreepersWiener

Postby ustus on Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:37 pm

I think I'm failing to communicate my idea on the ways. They don't one-way attack. They border every major city. That's why it's such a powerful idea. But:
a) Machin Shin kills everything left in the ways if you hold it for a turn (killer neutral)
b) it's not particularly easy to get in (the killer neutral should not be a low number - I'm thinking 5, maybe?)

This is, imo, the most accurate representation of the ways. It isn't something you can only get into from the borderlands, it isn't a territory that's just hard to take. It's a fast route to anywhere with a waygate that you DON'T want to get stuck in.

Gosh... I sound kinda harsh today... I don't mean to just hammer anyone else's ideas out of the way, this is just my opinion (and it's not my map, so you don't have to use it) and I'd love to hear any other suggestions. This is just my argument against the suggestion that it only borders Shienar.
Corporal ustus

Postby kamahl on Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:28 pm

ustus wrote:I think I'm failing to communicate my idea on the ways. They don't one-way attack. They border every major city. That's why it's such a powerful idea. But:
a) Machin Shin kills everything left in the ways if you hold it for a turn (killer neutral)
b) it's not particularly easy to get in (the killer neutral should not be a low number - I'm thinking 5, maybe?)

This is, imo, the most accurate representation of the ways. It isn't something you can only get into from the borderlands, it isn't a territory that's just hard to take. It's a fast route to anywhere with a waygate that you DON'T want to get stuck in.

I agree with this interpretation of the ways. I assume that we don't want special waygate territories, correct?
Cook kamahl

Postby jd94 on Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:01 pm

well, im treating the city territories like waygates, putting the gates themselves inside would be to confusing and messy. I agree with you ustus, but I dont think that I will acctully post a new version until I get copyright, unless of coarse there is a way around the copyright, which would be so much easier!
Corporal jd94

Postby ustus on Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:58 pm

thanks. I'm gonna be as involved as I can with this map (only two things kept me from making it myself: lack of time, and lack of knowledge on getting around copyright) and I'll stubbornly suggest any ideas I have ;) . Love the series, and would love to help with a map based on it!

I'm just warning you now that I'll be posting in this thread as often as I can if you get the copyright dealt with ;)
Corporal ustus

Postby FoxMists on Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:45 pm

Why is this map not done yet? I love WoT series. <3 Moiraine. Nothing would be more awesome than a good WoT map! :D

If I can help, let me know. I do know Brandon Sanderson, if that helps. No, I don't know Tom Doherty, so I can't help with your copyright issues there. Tor is a tough company. I have been working my way up to meeting Tom, but no luck yet. ;) I'll get there.

Anyway, yeah, I know some graphic design, I know a professional designer for a major company that I can't mention here (she's private like that), and I know the WoT better than my own life (sad, isn't it? :? ). (Oh, and I am friends with the woman that created and runs TarValon.net - maybe she can help with copyright? She obviously got around it...) Contact me via PM or MSn/WML (anybody working on this. I did not read every post).
Private 1st Class FoxMists

Postby FoxMists on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:01 pm

Oh and one last note... The map I've seen.. I guess it's by jd... Yeah, I hate it. So just tell me you will be including rivers and make it less "colouring book style" should you get permission and I will help. :mrgreen: 8-)
Private 1st Class FoxMists

Postby jd94 on Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:05 pm

yah, those will come with time, I'm obviously no graphics designer, and im focusing on the copyright at the moment, but i will definantly make it more realistic once its a sure thing!
Corporal jd94

Postby ustus on Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:42 pm

ya, I'm in on helping too if I can, and I'll be really critical. I want this map to look really really good ;)
Corporal ustus

Postby kamahl on Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:06 pm

Any news on the copyright?
Cook kamahl

Postby natty dread on Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:04 pm

kamahl wrote:Any news on the copyright?

I wouldn't hold my breath...

Postby Raskholnikov on Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:32 pm

I don't mean to be mean, but why are we even entertaining the idea of reproducing copyrighted materials?
Private Raskholnikov

Postby natty dread on Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:38 pm

Raskholnikov wrote:I don't mean to be mean, but why are we even entertaining the idea of reproducing copyrighted materials?

If the copyright holder gives permission then it's no problem. Although I doubt that will happen for this map.

Postby jd94 on Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:54 pm

Me and FoxMists are trying to figure it out. We are trying to get the approval of Mr. Sandarson right now.
Corporal jd94

Postby natty dread on Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:37 pm

I don't think he holds the copyright. He's just been hired to write the last books, but I'm pretty sure Jordan's wife is still the owner of the copyright.

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas