Conquer Club

Wheel of Time Map | WOT | Tar Valon etc.

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Wheel of Time Map

Postby MrBenn on Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:40 pm

[merged]
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: Wheel of Time Map | WOT | Tar Valon etc.

Postby Hopscotcher on Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:40 am

In WOT, the major cities were all connected via the Ways.

Mayhap all the cities could Bombard each other??? this would definitely make holding bonusses more difficult.

Just an idea.

ttfn,
Hops
I'm a sucker for Assassin Games

My claim to fame..... Game 6311393
Lieutenant Hopscotcher

Postby jd94 on Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:09 am

Hmmm, I will consider it, and that would make defense harder. But I think maybe too hard. Thats just my opinion.

Im really favoring the idea of having shangtai controled by a nuetral, and only being able to move to cities there. Aswell as shangtai returning to nuetral at the end of every turn. Maybe the nuetral could be as powerful as half the spoil reward, keeping it fairly powerful throughout the game.

What do you guys think.

Also, I have asked for copyright permision, so lets not worry on that to much. Whether we get it or not cannot be helped.

Once again, I am looking for someone to help with the serious art parts at the end of the production. Please let me know if your intrested so I can add you to the submission to the admin and you can get recognized.
Corporal jd94

Postby natty dread on Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:27 am

Maybe the nuetral could be as powerful as half the spoil reward, keeping it fairly powerful throughout the game.

Not possible, the neutral value can't change during game. It must be a set value.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby jd94 on Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:31 am

Thats too bad. I think that I am just going to mark one territory from each continent to be the capital, and shangtai can go there.
Corporal jd94

Postby Hopscotcher on Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:22 pm

jd94 wrote:Thats too bad. I think that I am just going to mark one territory from each continent to be the capital, and shangtai can go there.

Maybe have the Capitals able to Bombard each other, but giving bonusses on areas without Capitals.... Like......... Owning Arad Doman would be a bonus, but owning the Capital and Arad Doman doubles it???? The Capitals could start off neutral.... just another idea.
I'm a sucker for Assassin Games

My claim to fame..... Game 6311393
Lieutenant Hopscotcher

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:12 pm

Also, I have asked for copyright permision, so lets not worry on that to much. Whether we get it or not cannot be helped.

Once again, I am looking for someone to help with the serious art parts at the end of the production. Please let me know if your intrested so I can add you to the submission to the admin and you can get recognized.

Before trying to get anyone to help you on the project, I'd make sure the project is actually worthwhile and feasible from a legal point. Waiting, patience, etc, are always the best tool in a cartographer's arsenal.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby jd94 on Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:04 pm

I agree about the capitals starting nuetral, they could also return to nuetral after use and not count for continent bonuses. Alternativley, the capitals could only weaken each other, not conquer (shangtai exluded), unless the country is only held by one. Is there a way to do that? If so then that would make defense possible, but still make capitals really usefull.

What do you guys think?
Corporal jd94

Postby ustus on Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:17 am

mmm no I think capitals should be conquerable (you said you're reading path of daggers right? a whole third of that book is about the siege of caemlyn.) my suggestion was to have a symbol for a territory that has a waygate in it and a territory off to one side called "the ways" which is killer neutral. This accurately portrays what the ways were in the books.
Corporal ustus

Postby jd94 on Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:56 pm

Oooh, I really like that. A little network of territories. Is there any way to make nuetral attack? If so, that could be Machin Shin. If not, a territory could be retaken by nuetral one or two turns after it is taken. Im adding that. The question is, should there still be capitals, or is there just a waygate in certain territories?

I am currently awaiting a responce to my copyright request.
Corporal jd94

Postby hiddendragon on Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:22 pm

I think there is a full map of this in one of the books. My wife loves the series and has me hooked on it too. I think you should expand the map and include the different Aiel septs in the waste. Either way I love the idea, might convince my wife to play :D

Cities were more important in the story then land was so maybe bonus' should come from cities only and the rest is just a territory grab.
Sergeant 1st Class hiddendragon

Postby natty dread on Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:26 pm

Cities were more important in the story then land was so maybe bonus' should come from cities only and the rest is just a territory grab.

Agreed, make the map heavily based on cities. Other important places can be included as well... battle sites and such. And shadar logoth needs to be a killer neutral!

And -1 decay on each blight territory.

Postby hiddendragon on Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:38 pm

natty_dread wrote:And -1 decay on each blight territory.

nice

Postby jd94 on Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:56 pm

I like all of the above ideas.

Heres how i have it on the map:

A is a territory called a capital.
A capital gets half again its continents
bonus. A is a city. It gets a bonus of half
the capital. A is a battle site, which gets
a bonus of 1.

I think that they will all start as nuetral, the updated version should be up by tomorrow.
Corporal jd94

Postby jd94 on Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:04 pm

Oh ye\h, like i said, im only halfway through path af daggers, so you guys will have to suggest battle sites (but dont give anything away!). Im debating the aiel clans, i probably will include them. But the shara might be pushing it a bit. Theres also the seafolk, but i cant find any maps of their islands.
Corporal jd94

Postby natty dread on Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:09 pm

jd94 wrote:Oh ye\h, like i said, im only halfway through path af daggers, so you guys will have to suggest battle sites (but dont give anything away!).

Perhaps you should read the rest of the series (what is so far released) before continuing development... it could become hard to discuss about events in the series for gameplay designing without giving any spoilers...

Postby MrBenn on Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:25 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:

Before trying to get anyone to help you on the project, I'd make sure the project is actually worthwhile and feasible from a legal point. Waiting, patience, etc, are always the best tool in a cartographer's arsenal.

--Andy

I note that you submitted a design brief for this; until/unless the project is actually worthwhile and feasible from a legal point, I'm afraid it won't be officially sanctioned for further development.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby jd94 on Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:51 pm

Perhaps you should read the rest of the series (what is so far released) before continuing development... it could become hard to discuss about events in the series for gameplay designing without giving any spoilers...

Im doing my best to finish the PoD and the rest so that this is not a problem, however, quiting altogether would take to long and it might be hard to start back up again. Anyway, its also a courtesy to all those who read the thread who are not finished the series either.

Its easy to say that there are battles, just not who wins them.
Corporal jd94

Postby natty dread on Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:59 pm

however, quiting altogether would take to long and it might be hard to start back up again. Anyway, its also a courtesy to all those who read the thread who are not finished the series either.

Don't take this the wrong way but... Oh boy, do you have a long way to go... are you aware of the fact that a map's development can take anything from 6 to 18 months? And a lot of that time can be waiting, for feedback, stamps, etc...

I'm just trying to say, that in case you had any expectations of getting your map in play in a month or two, you can forget them... I don't want to discourage you though: the new foundry system is supposed to be a bit faster, and furthermore: there are many maps that have been put on the shelf for several months even, and then started again by the mapmaker, and they have succeeded on their second or third time around.

At the very least, you should halt development until you know if you'll be getting the permission from the copyright holder. Nobody likes doing lots of work for nothing, eh?

Just saying, get the biggest obstacles cleared first. As MrBenn said, there's no way your map will advance without clearing the copyright issue.

Postby jd94 on Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:40 pm

I agree about stopping production for the time bieng, and I will probably not post an updated map after the next one, until I can confirm or deny the copyright, but I dont want to discourage people from posting their ideas.

But befor i stop and wait i would like to establish this: Should the map include the Shara, Seanchan, and/or the seafolk isles.
I have already added the aiel clans, and i think that it should be enough, but i want to know what everyone else thinks.

After I have that figured out I will wait on the copyright.
Corporal jd94

Postby jd94 on Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:32 pm

Click image to enlarge.

with aiel waste
Corporal jd94

Postby natty dread on Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:59 am

Maximum size for a map is 840x800.

I'd say don't include the Seanchan and Seafolk islands... IIRC it was discussed in the last attempt to make a WoT map as well. Search the thread and you'll probably find it.

Postby jd94 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:43 am

Oh, and i forgot to put the ways in there. Sorry guys. The Ways are just going to be a spiderweblike network of territories that connect all of the waygates. I'll probably put a minimap in the mountains where the shara should be. Thank you to ustus for the idea!
Corporal jd94

Postby natty dread on Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:50 am

Still, your image is currently over 1000 pixels wide, while the maximum width for a large map image is 840 pixels.

How are you going to fit everything in?

Postby hiddendragon on Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:52 am

jd94 wrote:Oh, and i forgot to put the ways in there. Sorry guys. The Ways are just going to be a spiderweblike network of territories that connect all of the waygates. I'll probably put a minimap in the mountains where the shara should be. Thank you to ustus for the idea!

Actually you should combine steading and way gates since in the story the way gates were within the Steadings. Instead of getting into the ways too much you could make the steading/way gate as teleporters to one another.

If you were to enlarge any areas/cities in should be Tar Valon, Tear, or Caemlyn. These three seem to be the focal points as far as cities go.

Should Salidar be added since it was were the rebel Aes Sedai based themselves and what about the Black Tower?

I still think you err in allowing for bonus' for anything but the cities. In the story the Cities only controlled what was within their walls and claimed land in name only.

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas