Conquer Club

Updates 12/22/13 - Gaming Interface, Speed Autos, Maps Page

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Updates 12/22/13 - Gaming Interface, Speed Autos, Maps P

Postby mcshanester29 on Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:32 pm

bigWham wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:Thanks for breaking clickies, enforcing us to use the shit site ones.

a temporary fix for clickies can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=527&t=104488&start=375#p4376167

we are working on a more permanent solution.

Thanks you for fixing this....you have made it a nice Christmas!!
Private mcshanester29

Postby blakebowling on Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:33 pm

davsweeney wrote:The new interface sucks and Bob was 1,000 times better. Sorry guys I know you meant well but it didn't work.

ArkieDog wrote:Who wrote and tested this update? Obama Care Web Programmers? Took a very playable game site to near devastation... TOTALLY SUCKS! How Long to repair the damage? Why no General Announcements on whats happening?

What, specifically, isn't working properly for you?

Just saying that "it sucks" or "it's ruined" doesn't let us know what your problem with the update is. If you are clear and specific on what issues you are having, there is a good chance that we can get them fixed.
Private blakebowling

Postby BGtheBrain on Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:46 pm

blakebowling wrote:
jetsetwilly wrote:
BGtheBrain wrote:Not sure I agree with the "low % of players use clickies" statement entirely.
At the very least, Id think it would fall into the Pareto principle.

yes, maybe the thousands of freemiums who play 4 games at a time dont use them, but Id think many clan members and the like use it.

I really wish this site would announce "Upcoming Updates" and then update 24 hours later, instead of changing stuff and fixing later.

with that being said, its always good to see how quickly the site is moving along.

Good work, but clickies is crucial. I also like Bob, but from what Ive tried out so far, the site version is decent.

Why is not possible to include the owners off the add ons in the beta site ? They could have an update ready to roll out alongside the main CC changes every time.

I've sent an invitation to the beta testing group to every major add-on developer. Anyone who didn't receive an invite to the group simply needs to PM IcePack and request to be added.

nice
Captain BGtheBrain

Postby InnyaFacce on Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:40 am

Hide Left Nav: Hide left navigation when in games (currently set to Yes)?

My issue with this option ...
Why is everything cramped to the left ???
There should be a small space so everything is clearly seen much better

DAS SCHLOƟ āœŖ DOUBLES āœŖ F/S āœŖ 222 FROM 225 [99%] BEST WINNING STREAK āœŖ 92-0
Brigadier InnyaFacce

Postby Metsfanmax on Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:47 am

iAmCaffeine wrote:
we have a beta team of 50+ people involved in testing and none of these issues arose.

If none of these issues arose then there is clearly something wrong with the beta testing system surely?

No -- this is simply an inherent limitation of a beta testing system. You can throw a bunch of users at a feature and try to make them break it, but there's always use cases that are difficult to foresee. Uncommon browsers, screen resolutions, interaction with other plugins and software, game types and settings can all conspire to lead to problems that are hard to find. Beta testing groups are very good at finding the obvious problems, and not so good at finding the rare problems. Plus, certain types of problems only happen when you have thousands of users trying to use the system at once, which we can't emulate in the beta testing group. In terms of the Beta Team, the best we can do is add more users and ask them to try to break the system in even more clever ways. As bigWham suggested, you are welcome to join that effort if you like. The more hands on deck, the fewer problems we'll see on release. But we'll never fully eliminate those problems.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:06 am

Metsfanmax wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:
we have a beta team of 50+ people involved in testing and none of these issues arose.

If none of these issues arose then there is clearly something wrong with the beta testing system surely?

No -- this is simply an inherent limitation of a beta testing system. You can throw a bunch of users at a feature and try to make them break it, but there's always use cases that are difficult to foresee. Uncommon browsers, screen resolutions, interaction with other plugins and software, game types and settings can all conspire to lead to problems that are hard to find. Beta testing groups are very good at finding the obvious problems, and not so good at finding the rare problems. Plus, certain types of problems only happen when you have thousands of users trying to use the system at once, which we can't emulate in the beta testing group. In terms of the Beta Team, the best we can do is add more users and ask them to try to break the system in even more clever ways. As bigWham suggested, you are welcome to join that effort if you like. The more hands on deck, the fewer problems we'll see on release. But we'll never fully eliminate those problems.

This is probably the best general response to all questions.
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby iAmCaffeine on Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:15 am

Jdsizzleslice wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:

This is probably the best general response to all questions.

Agreed, thanks for explaining Mets. If I had the time I would join, as it is I can't.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby Slaylark on Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:29 am

Will there be a fix to clickies anytime soon? as for me this sight provides its best entertainment by being able to stay at the map and click for my every move, it is essential in freestyle play in speeders and far less frustrating to get moves completed without a loss on train of thought. Thanks for listening and Merry Christmas buds. :D
Corporal Slaylark

Postby iAmCaffeine on Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:13 am

Slaylark wrote:Will there be a fix to clickies anytime soon? as for me this sight provides its best entertainment by being able to stay at the map and click for my every move, it is essential in freestyle play in speeders and far less frustrating to get moves completed without a loss on train of thought. Thanks for listening and Merry Christmas buds. :D

mcshanester29 wrote:
bigWham wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:Thanks for breaking clickies, enforcing us to use the shit site ones.

a temporary fix for clickies can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=527&t=104488&start=375#p4376167

Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby b00060 on Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:20 am

davsweeney wrote:The new interface sucks and Bob was 1,000 times better. Sorry guys I know you meant well but it didn't work.

Trying to do to much and overall just ruining the experience! BOB kills this panel and the clickies DO NOT work!
Major b00060

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:01 am

b00060 wrote:

Trying to do to much and overall just ruining the experience! BOB kills this panel and the clickies DO NOT work!

As the post above your states EVER so clearly...

iAmCaffeine wrote:
Slaylark wrote:Will there be a fix to clickies anytime soon? as for me this sight provides its best entertainment by being able to stay at the map and click for my every move, it is essential in freestyle play in speeders and far less frustrating to get moves completed without a loss on train of thought. Thanks for listening and Merry Christmas buds. :D

mcshanester29 wrote:
bigWham wrote:

Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby codierose on Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:28 am

Jdsizzleslice wrote:So far I see three issues:

1) Invite system: Cannot invite friends (Somewhat fixed)

2) Clickable Maps

3) Layout of CC on Mobile Devices

2) temp fix working well thanks

but there is still issue with menu bar on left of screen hanging up in games
show: issues
Last edited by codierose on Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant codierose

Postby Slaylark on Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:29 am

Very nice of you to post link for fix of clickies, thank you very much.. =D> =D>

and thanks for getting a temp fix in!! wooot!
Corporal Slaylark

Postby casper on Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:45 pm

Site no longer displays correctly on iOS and Android devices. Bug report here: viewtopic.php?f=506&t=200140

Is it possible to send a mass PM when changes like these occur? I just now saw this thread. Thanks.
Major casper

Postby JOHNNYROCKET24 on Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:50 pm

clickies so I can play speed games ?
JR's Game Profile

show
Sergeant 1st Class JOHNNYROCKET24

Postby jonofperu on Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:30 pm

Just noticed the announcement and tried to figure out the new "Bob-like" features.
BOB gave us a more seamless set of features integrated into the standard layout. I don't really want to change the whole layout to have access to snaps and mouse-over info.
I miss the buttons at the top of the screen for snaps. Annoying to have to bring up a menu in a console to work with them.
I want to be able to see the game settings immediately under the map at all times - when I'm switching between many different games that's important.
With the new panels I can't break out Settings and Overview, etc. The info that used to all be right there now has to be accessed through tabs. I figured out how to break out some of the tabs, but not all can be broken out apparently.

Great idea to integrate BOB features though!
Hopefully it can be made more like BOB and thus better.
Colonel jonofperu

Postby Conde180711 on Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:27 pm

b00060 wrote:

im still using bob as i was so nothing changed for me yet, as i see it theres some update in the pipeline that WILL break bob as it has the other add ons so this is a preventative measure for when that finallly happens, if and when it does and bob doesnt get fixed then il have a look at this but untill then i dont currently see the need
Major Conde180711

Postby dgz345 on Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:53 pm

I like the new panel layout. you can customize as you like. there is 2 parts from bob that im missing.
1. the near hand snap button. but i also like the panel just dedicated for snaps.
2. i the gamelist. the time when the turn expire. i have seen that its shown in the header. but im used to 24h format.
Lieutenant dgz345
Head Tech
Head Tech

Postby chapcrap on Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:19 pm

Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Jippd on Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:34 pm

dgz345 wrote:I like the new panel layout. you can customize as you like. there is 2 parts from bob that im missing.
1. the near hand snap button. but i also like the panel just dedicated for snaps.
2. i the gamelist. the time when the turn expire. i have seen that its shown in the header. but im used to 24h format.

This is something cool that I also miss from BOB that is not included. I circled the example in this picture.

Click image to enlarge.

I forgot to mention that in my previous post but I did realize it after. If you guys are tallying it somewhere this could be a cool feature to pull out the coding for from bob. I'm guessing it must take your computers current time, add the time left information to it and then generate the time the turn is due.
Major Jippd

Postby casper on Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:43 pm

codierose wrote:3) cc back to normal on mobile

Huh? CC is still broken on iOS and Android. See viewtopic.php?f=506&t=200140
Major casper

Postby codierose on Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:06 pm

casper wrote:

Yep sure is
Site still not loading pages proberly either
Lieutenant codierose

Postby iAmCaffeine on Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:16 am

Not using the interface, sticking with regular BOB for as long as possible.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby casper on Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:57 am

codierose wrote:
casper wrote:

Yep sure is
Site still not loading pages proberly either

Sorry I thought you were saying cc was back to normal on mobile. Please fix CC. Or at least acknowledge the bug report! Thanks.
Major casper

Postby docchaos on Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:35 pm

Two things:
1. The concept for the update was very good, making BOB pretty much obsolete. Don't get me wrong, I liked BOB, but having that same functionality native is obviously better than having to use an addon. Now with snapshots native, you could implement two other things, that have been suggested for BOB: Autosnap at the start of the game (which was just not possible with BOB) and Autosnap at the end of each turn (which I rigged BOB to do for me but couldn't find the time to update to the latest version)
2. As for the execution of the update, I said it before and I have to say it again: For the love of god, get the help of a graphic designer or (maybe even better) an interface designer.
Major docchaos

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives