Conquer Club

Updates 01/11/14: Inventory, Scheduled Autos, Transformation

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Updates 01/11/14: Inventory, Scheduled Autos, Transforma

Postby Seamus76 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:06 pm

Is any one else having a problem with snaps being show from the beginning of each round, rather than at the end? So for example, now if I finish my round 3 turn it shows the board from the beginning of my round 3 turn, rather than the plays I made during round 3.
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Postby Swifte on Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:14 pm

Seamus76 wrote:Is any one else having a problem with snaps being show from the beginning of each round, rather than at the end? So for example, now if I finish my round 3 turn it shows the board from the beginning of my round 3 turn, rather than the plays I made during round 3.

I just checked some of my turns from this morning, and I'm not having that problem... my auto-snap reflects the end of my turn.
Colonel Swifte

Postby Seamus76 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:22 pm

Swifte wrote:
Seamus76 wrote:Is any one else having a problem with snaps being show from the beginning of each round, rather than at the end? So for example, now if I finish my round 3 turn it shows the board from the beginning of my round 3 turn, rather than the plays I made during round 3.

I just checked some of my turns from this morning, and I'm not having that problem... my auto-snap reflects the end of my turn.
I haven't found anyone else with this problem yet either. I'm not sure who might be able to help, or what I should do.
ImageImageImage

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:28 pm

Seamus76 wrote:
Swifte wrote:

I haven't found anyone else with this problem yet either. I'm not sure who might be able to help, or what I should do.

If the problem persists, start a thread in the Bugs forum. Take some screeshots to demonstrate and post them.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Seamus76 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:35 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
Seamus76 wrote:
Swifte wrote:

If the problem persists, start a thread in the Bugs forum. Take some screeshots to demonstrate and post them.
Will do thanks. It's quite annoying, especially with my horrible memory. :lol:
ImageImageImage

Postby iAmCaffeine on Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:43 pm

Seamus76 wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
Seamus76 wrote:
Swifte wrote:

Will do thanks. It's quite annoying, especially with my horrible memory. :lol:

Could always try emptying cache. Not a standard way to solve a problem like this but it's worth a shot. Emptying cache fixes weird problems.

Are you running BOB and the interface?
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby yadayada on Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:39 pm

Updates to CC all look positive to me so far.
Where can I find the new escalating spoils values?
Colonel yadayada

Postby Namliam on Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:54 pm

I'm having the same problem with my snaps. I'm using the panel interface, and clicking my own snaps after each turn.
Colonel Namliam

Postby isaiah40 on Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:39 am

koontz1973 wrote:@agentcom, we only found about the transformations a couple of days ago ourselves. We need time to digest them and find out what can be done. Expect an announcement by nobodies at some point.

This, and I am going to shamelessly say that my new map Defend America will be using one of the the new transformation thingys!!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby agentcom on Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:26 am

koontz1973 wrote:@agentcom, we only found about the transformations a couple of days ago ourselves. We need time to digest them and find out what can be done. Expect an announcement by nobodies at some point.

Forgot to say thanks for the reply koontz. Please let us know when that update is made. Can't wait to read about the new features!
Colonel agentcom

Postby momopost on Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:11 am

I appreciate the effort to make the site and the games better. I do have some concerns about how the site is changing, though.

I enjoy playing the game but have never been a hard-core expert in all the many varieties of Conquerclub games. I seldom read forum pages and when I do read I don't understand half of what people are talking about. I donā€™t think I am the only one either. I think most of the more casual players are like me.

I understand that there is always a small (and usually loud) bunch of enthusiastic people who run and push sites like this forward. There's nothing wrong with that, all can benefit. It does require, however, that these people remember ā€œthe other halfā€ too. Not everybody is a young, healthy, agile-minded, computer-literate, English-speaking enthusiast who spends hours daily playing the game and participating in the chat forums.

The continuous changes and "improvements" are perhaps all good for hard-core players (although the consent seems far from unanimous there too) but for me they are mostly annoying and what is more important, I am pretty sure they are that for many of the casual players too. The site does still claim: "If you wish to play casually, a few minutes per day is all that is required", so it would seem they are still wanted here (at the rate the first page is changing, I'm not sure the sentence will be there tomorrow, but today it still is). Please keep in mind that a site that is in constant fluctuation (doesnā€™t know what it is about) is very off-putting to many people.

Changing the basic rules of the game ā€“especially without clearly announcing this to all players- is bad policy. Changing a basic rule that does not need to be changed is really bad policy. Yes, Iā€™m talking about the change in the value of escalating spoils that I happened to stumble upon. (I thought it was a joke until I checked the rules.) This is change for the sake of change (a bad sign, often indicative of desperation).

Iā€™d like to emphasize I like the game and that I am not against all change. There are lots of great players and nice people here. I am happy that that the enthusiasts have received many new settings and possibilities. I hope I can try out some of them myself too. I would, however, like to remind the people in charge of the site of the many silent people, who donā€™t perhaps feel so much at home here anymore. I know I donā€™t.

Maurice
General momopost

Postby MrPinky on Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:30 am

Hey Maurice (and others)

I don't really get all the fuss about the escalating spoils. When they were originally designed they started out with climbing 2 per cash...then after some time they climb 5 per cash....now after 20 more cashes they climb by 10 and then some more..... is that not how escalating should have been from the start...climbing faster and faster.... just on classic map they very rarely went to more than 40 anyway, so no need for the later steps to increase.

when they get to 300, 305,310,315....thats not really escalating, is it?....or would all you guys prefer they not even jumped to 5 in difference but stayed at 4.6.8.10.12.14.16.18.20 ....forever?

Its not like they suddenly jump to 1000 from nothing. They just increase slighly faster than before in less than 1% of the games started. And those 1% are probably some of the most boring ones anyway.

This affects less than 1% of all escalating games and most of them will probably not be affected too much anyway. So how can this small change make someone "feel not at home anymore?"....

Don't get me wrong, momopost. I really appreciate your input, and my post may sound harder than it is meant. I do hope you and every other "non-enthusiasts" stick around and make this a better site for everybody.

I just honestly don't see how this very small change, can make a bigger fuss than just shrugging your shoulder and go on with your next game.
Captain MrPinky

Postby Domicas on Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:26 am

None of these changes is going to help make this site more popular. I suggest you concentrate more on marketing rather than spending time and effort on changing the game. Old established players may, (or may not), find the changes useful, but it does nothing for a new potential players that stumble across this site. In fact, the increasingly complicated rules will discourage many people from signing up.

Shift some of the development budget over to the marketing department and let's solve the real problem around here - not enough players.
General Domicas

Postby casper on Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:18 pm

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not but the current description for Escalating spoils under Game Options fails to mention how much sets are worth after 20 and before 100. Obviously, the spoils increase by 5 but this information is completely lacking from the description. Please fix. Thanks.
Major casper

Postby momopost on Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:38 pm

MrPinky, no offence taken. I should perhaps clarify a few points:

1) I do net pretend to speak for all "non-enthusiasts". I stumbled on the discussion and just tried to present a point-of-view that is missing from it: a (one) voice of a player that is not so deeply immersed in the discussion and the looks at the thing a bit from the outside.

2) I think Domicas said it much better what I was trying to say: "None of these changes is going to help make this site more popular". While I love to play with the players we have, I think recruiting new ones should be priority no 1.

3) Changing the escalating spoils.
(This was supposed to be a minor detail in my message and maybe sort of an example of the unnecessary confusion in CC)
I have no idea what was planned in the beginning of time. I was not here then. Some other escalating sequence might work well too. What I am critisizing is the act of changing existing rules
a) Rules should not change in mid-game
b) All players should be told of rule changes
c) Rules that work should not be changed.
I can live with the new escalating rules, it's not a problem. A bigger problem for me is that I can't trust the basic CC game rules anymore as they seem to change arbitrarily.

I'm not going anywhere from CC quite yet. I'm just concerned about what is going on. I hope this clarified my thought, if they wer too vague before.
General momopost

Postby casper on Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:58 pm

I was bored and wanted to visualize what this change in escalating spoils means. Here are the values for the first 50 sets with the Old spoils and the New spoils.

Major casper

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:33 pm

Domicas wrote:None of these changes is going to help make this site more popular. I suggest you concentrate more on marketing rather than spending time and effort on changing the game. Old established players may, (or may not), find the changes useful, but it does nothing for a new potential players that stumble across this site. In fact, the increasingly complicated rules will discourage many people from signing up.

Shift some of the development budget over to the marketing department and let's solve the real problem around here - not enough players.

That strategy was tried and failed. El Jefe spent ungodly sums of money on marketing and advertising, and brought thousands of new players here. Yet, during his reign, Conquer Club continued to decline, because old members were leaving even faster than the new members were arriving. The basic problem, boredom and cynicism amongst the existing members, was not addressed.

When BigWham took over, he acknowledged that spending more money advertising a sinking ship was a losing strategy. He made the basic strategic decision that first he would have to do something to patch the holes in the ship, and only then would it be worth spending money advertising for new passengers. That strategy is working. The basic game has been improved, options have been added, the biggest criticisms ("Why the hell do we need to install add-ons to make the game playable? Why aren't the basic functions part of the basic UI?") have been addressed with a new interface (and yeah, I know it isn't perfect, but it's a work in progress, like so much else.)

The downward spiral of people leaving leading to other getting depressed about the game leading to others leaving leading to more people getting depressed about the game, etc., has finally come to an end. For the first time in years, there is a positive vibe in the forums (even despite many bitch threads.) The hemorrhage of old players has finally slowed down to the point where new players sign-ups are outpacing the departures. (Helped of course by many old players returning.)

This morning we passed a very important milestone, where there are now more active members than there were when Big Wham took over. Of course, that could be a blip, and there could be another decline, but I suspect that this time it's real. When I hear people talk about how much they love Polymorph, or Parachute spoils, or the new Maps tab, or the new Clans tab, it seems that there is a genuine sense of optimism now that there has never been in all the time that I've been a member.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Jippd on Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:01 pm

I think momo brings up good points that changing rules mid game without notification to members is not the best way to do things and a better system should be implemented. I still don't know why major changes/decisions are not mass PM'd to members of the CC community at large to bring attention to very very important things.
Major Jippd

Postby bigWham on Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:06 pm

Jippd wrote:I think momo brings up good points that changing rules mid game without notification to members is not the best way to do things and a better system should be implemented. I still don't know why major changes/decisions are not mass PM'd to members of the CC community at large to bring attention to very very important things.

This change did not effect games already active. It was an oversight in the announcement not to mention this.
Brigadier bigWham
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Mr Simpson on Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:01 pm

I'm so satisfied I finally paid for this site
Private 1st Class Mr Simpson

Postby denominator on Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:54 pm

For anyone complaining about the Escalating Spoils change, I would recommend the following:

Start an escalating game against whambot and hold the bot hostage such that he can still take a card every turn (For example, pin him into Oceania on Classic but leave a single to swap cards). Once the cards hit 100, you will get a sense of how the change affects the cards, which is to say, not much. You'll see that this has a higher likelihood of ending a game, but doesn't immediately award the game to one player over another.
Major denominator

Postby Bazza100 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:39 am

To be fair stalemates don't last forever, just part of the game, if you can't win with strategy then it changes to luck.
This battle can't be won with our knowlege of the force, perhaps our skills in the light sabre will determine the outcome.
You know what I mean.
Sergeant Bazza100

Postby Jippd on Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:53 pm

Perhaps a less than 10% amount would be better? Maybe 7 or 8 %? I think the number is some where greater then 5 but less than 10. To me the issue doesn't really matter because out of my over 10,000 games I can't think of how many went on when cashes got greater then 100. Of the games where that happened I would be happy with the escalation to help end the stale mate. I just think that the 10% number is a little to high doing the math.
Major Jippd

Postby Gamefreakguy on Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:29 am

Scheduled speed autos are good stuff guys, keep em coming! ;) Not sure if the inventory change really improves the tourney scene vs the clutter it adds, but it fulfills the crucial part of a gaming addiction in the brain that chases more trinkets regardless of what they are.

Also, while I'm here... Request for tourney: Hive Trench Masters. :D
Edit: Would recommend chained rein., variable fog, and 20 rd. limit if this comes to pass. Thanks for all the hard work!!
"Never let your fear decide your fate."
"He who controls others may be powerful but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." Lao Tzu
Major Gamefreakguy

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:06 pm

On the new front page, the scrolling part has a nice frame, all the other parts have a shadow. Can the box go around all 4 parts as it is the nicer of the two.
Lieutenant koontz1973

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives