Conquer Club

MEGAEGG - An Easter Spectacular!

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: MEGAEGG - An Easter Spectacular!

Postby TheQuietOne on Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:53 am

I'll echo that my opponent dropped the better bonus combo as well, but wasn't able to take advantage of it. I did get to move first, but the better bonus should win out in the long run. Luck is luck....
Major TheQuietOne

Postby King Zvonimir on Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:17 am

I have to argue this:
TheQuietOne wrote:I did get to move first, but the better bonus should win out in the long run

There is no long run in this game if there is no fog - everything is decided in two or three rounds.

And number two: the first player to move has a luxury to always have a bigger deployment, and - after seeing what the opponent did - can decide shall he attack him and reduce opponent's further deployment or going to enlarge his own once more. Second player has a difficult decision: if going for bigger deployment, he makes himself vulnerable of attacks - if not going for deployment, but fortifying, then the first one will enlarge himself to break him next round. Fog would make him protected first 2-3 rounds...

I've spent many hours playing hundreds of games for Easter and April challenges - if this will end like it is now, I don't see any point in participating in such unfair events. Furthermore, nobody informed me of the "small finals" of Easter Event, because when qualifying round ended it disappeared from homepage. And I didn't know such a possibility could happen, so didn't check the forum regularly. Altogether, a big blow in my face...
Colonel King Zvonimir

Postby agentcom on Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:39 pm

The more I think about this, the more upset I am about the tourney format. In order to enter the tourney, you pretty much had to play well over 100 games on the Easter map over the course of the tourney. This means that everyone in was an expert on the map. Plus the prize is so big that I don't see the justification for basically deciding the winner by a lottery. (The cash value of the prizes in this tourney are well over $100.) Sunny games and sudden death for the first few rounds just doesn't make sense. At least later rounds have some poly games sprinkled in, but even the finals is only a best of 3, 1v1, sunny series.

After all the variety of games (some not even on the Easter map) and as many games as everyone who qualified for this tourney played over the weekend, it's really disappointing that the prizes are basically distributed by luck. When first turn determines all but one game (and only because the second player got lucky to get a bonus), that's just not a good tourney format.

Finally, I can understand the incentive to play a couple hundred games if I realistically thought that I could win the final tourney. Obviously, I'm more likely to be one of the ones eliminated before making the payout, but you can still hope for that top prize worth around $85. However, if it had been publicized what this tourney would actually be like (and therefore how luck-based it was), I would've probably been more likely to value this tournament at its "expected value" which is the total prizes divided by the number of entrants. In this case, it would've been $4 or $5. Definitely wouldn't have spent all weekend playing for the 1/32 shot at getting the big prize or the 1/4 chance of getting anything at all.
Colonel agentcom

Previous

Return to Announcement Archives