Conquer Club

Whac-A-Mod 2014

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Whac-A-Mod 2014

Postby Shannon Apple on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:47 pm

jackal31 wrote:
Shannon Apple wrote:Hmm, you could join the games by searching for them as well. Some of us started games and put the pw in the game title. Those ones didn't appear on the banner but still count. Especially near the end, mods put up some games for people who had less than 7.

I didnt find out about this until the last day. I too thought the idea was to join the games via the banner....so for the couple of days I was searching (before and after work for a few minutes), there were none to join.

I too believe this could have been run better. Players going for 40 I'm sure would have flooded the market if we all knew you could search them too. I think that was a bit deceptive. But also, if it is supposed to be a CA, then why not make the win % or defeating 5 unique mods the option rather than 40 games? This way everyone still gets a good shot at the medals without flooding the market. A game limit may be in order for certain "game hogs" too since I know this puts a load on the mods doing the games.

Ah yes, the ones that had to be joined from the banner didn't have a displayed pw, so banner autolink was the only way to join them. When mods realised that people weren't reaching the basic 7, there were games put up that didn't appear on the banner because they were personal passwords, and those were put in the game title with "Do not join unless you have less than 7." I should have been clearer with my post. =)

It was kinda crazy alright because when this whole thing was going on, I think that some people were forgetting that the mods are just players too. Fair play to the few people that made insane numbers of games. Personally, I wouldn't have been able to do that. =D>

But yeah, next year it needs a slight rethink. Maybe there should be a max number of games that people are allowed to join... or something. I liked the format with the win percentage because it gave everyone a chance to get to the top of the scoreboard, not just via game count.
00:33:53 ā€¹riskllamaā€ŗ will her and i ever hook up, LLT???
00:34:09 ā€¹LiveLoveTeachā€ŗ You and Shannon?
00:34:20 ā€¹LiveLoveTeachā€ŗ Bahahahahahaha
00:34:22 ā€¹LiveLoveTeachā€ŗ I doubt it
00:34:30 ā€¹LiveLoveTeachā€ŗ I don't think she's into farm animals
Colonel Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby jackal31 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:03 am

so what happens now that the month is over? Do we get to battle to the death with spoons?
Best Score: 3476
1/9/12
Colonel jackal31

Postby chemefreak on Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:58 pm

jackal31 wrote:so what happens now that the month is over? Do we get to battle to the death with spoons?

:twisted: ChemE :twisted:
Š±Ń€Š°Ń‚ŃŒŃ Š² руŠŗŠ¾ŃŃ‚ŠŗŠ°Ń…
I ā™„ ++The Legion++
Lieutenant chemefreak

Postby RedBaron0 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:41 pm

jackal31 wrote:so what happens now that the month is over? Do we get to battle to the death with spoons?

ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby jackal31 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:57 pm

RedBaron0 wrote:

This is really what motivated my comment. But who is Robin and who is the Sheriff?
1/9/12
Colonel jackal31

Postby grt on Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:46 pm

Anyone know when the Whac-A-Mod Showdown will start?

Just missed out on the Green star so want another shot at something :-)
Major grt

Postby jackal31 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:26 pm

grt wrote:Anyone know when the Whac-A-Mod Showdown will start?

Just missed out on the Green star so want another shot at something :-)

I'm curious too.....I figured it would have started already.
1/9/12
Colonel jackal31

Postby Gilligan on Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:38 pm

info goes out tonight :)
Major Gilligan

Postby Sir Riddick on Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:11 pm

Gilligan wrote:info goes out tonight :)

Oh damn. So its The Top 7 Players with 40 Play Tokens or more win a Challenge Achievement...? I thought I was in there NOOO that sucks. I got top 7 players but my score is 75 (average). I was led to believe that was over the 40 (tokens) the whole time. I'm so stupid. :idea:
Sergeant 1st Class Sir Riddick

Postby Gilligan on Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:27 pm

Sir Riddick wrote:
Gilligan wrote:info goes out tonight :)

Oh damn. So its The Top 7 Players with 40 Play Tokens or more win a Challenge Achievement...? I thought I was in there NOOO that sucks. I got top 7 players but my score is 75 (average). I was led to believe that was over the 40 (tokens) the whole time. I'm so stupid. :idea:

Nope, top 32 on the whac-a-mod scoreboard!
Major Gilligan

Postby Shannon Apple on Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:18 am

Yeah, you're not an idiot... you were right about the challenge achievement. It's the top 7 that have at least 40 games. (I think! Unless it's since been changed).

But you are well in there for this playoff thing. Top 32 members (based on win percentage, not game number) and top 16 mods will fight it out. :D :D. Only Gilligan knows what the rewards are for winning that though.
00:33:53 ā€¹riskllamaā€ŗ will her and i ever hook up, LLT???
00:34:09 ā€¹LiveLoveTeachā€ŗ You and Shannon?
00:34:20 ā€¹LiveLoveTeachā€ŗ Bahahahahahaha
00:34:22 ā€¹LiveLoveTeachā€ŗ I doubt it
00:34:30 ā€¹LiveLoveTeachā€ŗ I don't think she's into farm animals
Colonel Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Domination_44 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:27 pm

When do we get our Challenge Achievement/General Achievement medals for this? :P
Sergeant 1st Class Domination_44

Postby TheFlashPoint on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:14 am

I got an email about the tourney, but nothing else. Has it been abandoned?

If you need organizational help, I am willing to offer some help in exchange for virtual compensation, but only if it's extremely rare and special.
Major TheFlashPoint

Postby Gilligan on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:13 pm

TheFlashPoint wrote:I got an email about the tourney, but nothing else. Has it been abandoned?

If you need organizational help, I am willing to offer some help in exchange for virtual compensation, but only if it's extremely rare and special.

Many people did not give proper responses to my PM so it's taking me a bit longer to sort it all out.
Major Gilligan

Postby hwhrhett on Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:08 pm

Gilligan wrote:
TheFlashPoint wrote:I got an email about the tourney, but nothing else. Has it been abandoned?

Many people did not give proper responses to my PM so it's taking me a bit longer to sort it all out.

i want in, i never got an email or a pm!
Cook hwhrhett

Postby jackal31 on Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:16 pm

Gilligan wrote:

I'm curious to know if my response was "incomplete." I kinda thought the question was incomplete so I tried to provide more information based off what you were asking for. If there's something I need to fix, please let me know.
1/9/12
Colonel jackal31

Postby TheFlashPoint on Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:33 pm

I realize everyone has a lot going on, but I am still very interested in playing the consolation tournament.
Major TheFlashPoint

Postby redspyder on Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:06 pm

TheFlashPoint wrote:I realize everyone has a lot going on, but I am still very interested in playing the consolation tournament.

Me too. And am curious when the medals will be distributed.
Major redspyder

Postby IcePack on Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:08 pm

redspyder wrote:
TheFlashPoint wrote:I realize everyone has a lot going on, but I am still very interested in playing the consolation tournament.

Me too. And am curious when the medals will be distributed.

It hasn't been forgotten about, I believe it should be shortly to start.

Medals issued @ end of the whole event.
Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby redspyder on Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:47 pm

IcePack wrote:
It hasn't been forgotten about, I believe it should be shortly to start.

Medals issued @ end of the whole event.

Cool. It looks like we only have one game that hasn't finished. Game 14484287
Major redspyder

Postby jackal31 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:05 am

Is there any way we can get this started in the next few days? Jane is mia and that game will be another week and a half before it's done. In addition, I thought the games needed to be finished before the end of June for the score to count?
1/9/12
Colonel jackal31

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:36 pm

jackal31 wrote:Is there any way we can get this started in the next few days? Jane is mia and that game will be another week and a half before it's done. In addition, I thought the games needed to be finished before the end of June for the score to count?

Yes. Any games that didn't finish before the end of June are just for fun now. You won't get a medal for that one.

However, this has nothing to do with the final tournament. That is a seperate issue entirely. I don't think the delay in the final tournament has anything to do with games wrapping up, it has more to do with Gilligan enjoying the summer and not wanting to come indoors to do boring CC work...:)
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby jackal31 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:38 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
jackal31 wrote:Is there any way we can get this started in the next few days? Jane is mia and that game will be another week and a half before it's done. In addition, I thought the games needed to be finished before the end of June for the score to count?

Yes. Any games that didn't finish before the end of June are just for fun now. You won't get a medal for that one.

However, this has nothing to do with the final tournament. That is a seperate issue entirely. I don't think the delay in the final tournament has anything to do with games wrapping up, it has more to do with Gilligan enjoying the summer and not wanting to come indoors to do boring CC work...:)

Well thats nice and dandy and stuff like that, but there were people expecting the tournament to run over summer ... not into fall and winter. We've been on hold now for 6 weeks when this things could likely be wrapping up.

In fact it was July 11th when I got the pm asking about map selection. Did someone bite off more than they could chew?
1/9/12
Colonel jackal31

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:58 pm

jackal31 wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

Well thats nice and dandy and stuff like that, but there were people expecting the tournament to run over summer ... not into fall and winter. We've been on hold now for 6 weeks when this things could likely be wrapping up.

In fact it was July 11th when I got the pm asking about map selection. Did someone bite off more than they could chew?

It's certainly possible. Volunteers get burned out, and that's especially true now, when there are fewer volunteers every month to do the same amount of work. Running tournaments is a lot of tedious record-keeping, and I know I have a few tournaments that I dread even looking at. Gilligan has been busting his ass for this site since at least 2008, possibly sooner, and if he's getting a little run-down I would not be surprised at all.

That being said, I think he'll eventually come around. But if you want to volunteer to take this task off his hands, he'd probably agree. I see you've got 5 tourney organiser medals, so you obviously know the basics, and you've got a good reputation, so you could probably be fast-tracked for volunteer clearance.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby jackal31 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:21 pm

I appreciate the recognition Dukasaur, but summer is winding down and my busy season is about to begin. That's why it's frustrating for me to try and finish some of these tourneys that have lasted far too long. I have at least 11 going right now, and they have escalating game loads. (That is also why I didnt join a single olympics tourney, which was a little disappointing)

As far as volunteering, Flashpoint said he would offer to help. I remember when I ran a larger tourney and I too began to get run down. That was with trying to juggle "everything" in life too. I know you guys put a lot of time into everything here, and I dont want to come off as a whiner, but some of the steps to help had already been taken and that adds to it a bit. It is appreciated the things that are done for the community, but some of these things could be handled better and more effeceintly.
1/9/12
Colonel jackal31

Previous

Return to Announcement Archives