Conquer Club

Whac-A-Mod 2014

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Whac-A-Mod 2014

Postby Nicky15 on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:57 am

Major Nicky15

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:20 am

Dukasaur wrote:Trips game available: Game 14490865

Password by request to first team with NO MEMBER who has his 7 yet.

All the crying about how people can't make their 7, and not one team has stepped forward asking to be let into this one?
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby lokisgal on Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:02 pm

thanks to all the mods who invited me to games so I could get my medal!

and sorry if I offended any of them. I do truly think that this event might have been more successful run another way and if being on the team is an option I'll gladly help out in anyway possible
Major lokisgal
SoC Training Adviser

Postby jak111 on Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:03 pm

Was going to go for the competition medal and I only tried joining 1-2 games when I saw a bunch on banner. But seriously, this needed a lot better coordination. I think I've only seen like 4 mods in 1v1's and about 3-4 other mods in team games.

So felt like 8 mods MAX hosting games for everyone. (Okay, I know it wasn't 8, there were quite a few working at it and everyone did their best. I know Ice and Cheme were two I constantly seen up and they worked their butts off to get up a lot of games for players).

A few suggestions for next year, because this year it felt:

• Grindy.
  • Repetitive.
  • Unorganized.
  • Unenjoyable.

(Note: That's what it felt like to me. I know everyone did what they could and helped when they could).

40 games required minimum for the challenge medal? I only joined about 20 games and I STILL feel bad for even nabbing up THAT many because I know how hard it was to find a game in the banner, LET ALONE any map/set-up that was enjoyable. (No offense to the mods, just personal taste XD). Hopefully 40 games will be something of the past in the future.

Some suggestions I'd say for next year:

• Player made games. This lets players pick the map, settings, gametype etc in advanced. The mods can then join a bunch of them as they see fit (whichever ones they like with trying to spread it out across players as much as they can).
  • Time tables for both mods and players to basically say, OKAY this is the time mod made games will be up and running.
  • Take away "Challenge medal", or at least the current requirements, it makes people feel like mod-game-hogs. No one likes the feeling but they want to go for the medal.
  • Limit Whac-A-Mod games daily a player can join/host (host for if you accept the first suggestion).

Just some off the top of my head suggestions that I think would of made this week a lot more fun for EVERYONE.

(Edited out some of the next bit and changed some things)

I will be honest Wham, this is not trying to sound rude. But I was away for a year and came back in March/April/sometime in that time frame. When I came back, it was new to see you as the site's admin. I imagine it is not an easy job and it really is tough being thrown into the whole fray and trying something new. But I feel people had a lot more fun with the older events. Perhaps consider mixing it up? I'm sure you were around when Lackattack was admin and remember the fun events back then. Try to maybe half a bi-event change-up? Where for one event we do it the new way and the next we do it more of the old feel to it. Then the NEXT year (for yearly events) everything that was the new way will be the old way and vice versa.

This will give people a break from a set-up they don't particularly enjoy as much as another set-up of the event. So two styles: Classic and New. Switch the two up on events and I'm sure there will be more of a positive vibe from the community as well!

I mean, take this thread for example, I can look through the pages and we can both see some people are upset with how it was run this year compared to last year and the years before that.

I don't think I've posted anything directly pointed for your attention until now. I know I welcome you as the new admin (I don't know how long you've been admin, but to me it's new >:D). I get it's going to be tough and I get that you want to try to open the site up to new ways of doing something and trying something new. But when it feels like the negativity is building over the positivity (<--- Spell check keeps telling me that is not a word >.< GAH DAMN IT! I googled it because I wanted to know whether I was going insane, fortunately I am not yet!) just try something that feels more old-school that the community enjoyed a lot back in the day.

(Footnote: Okay.. I edited quite a bit around, but still, I think it sounds a lot more clearer and nicer than it did coming off the top of my head <3)
Last edited by jak111 on Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Highest Rank:
Major:2157

"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers"

Jak Eliminator: Prison Riot [0/16] *Sign Ups*
Private 1st Class jak111

Postby Sir Riddick on Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:57 am

I think im first place for the players! woot woot lol

But ya getting 40 games in was unachievable. I say change it to the top 7 players and give first place a gold star :mrgreen:
Sergeant 1st Class Sir Riddick

Postby iAmCaffeine on Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:47 am

I'm 2 wins for 2 so far with that likely to go 5 for 5. If two mods could send me two games so I can go 7 for 7 that would be lovely. I'll play whatever settings I'm given.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:03 am

iAmCaffeine wrote:I'm 2 wins for 2 so far with that likely to go 5 for 5. If two mods could send me two games so I can go 7 for 7 that would be lovely. I'll play whatever settings I'm given.

Illustrious record, and I'd gladly help if I could, but yesterday was the cutoff date for starting games. Even if we could create games today, they wouldn't count. So you'll have to be happy with all the points you gathered off me...:)
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:19 am

Sir Riddick wrote:I think im first place for the players! woot woot lol

But ya getting 40 games in was unachievable. I say change it to the top 7 players and give first place a gold star :mrgreen:

And yet, against all odds, nine players achieved it. (Pirlo, Domination 44, hwhrhett, uckuki, King Zvonimir, Likander, JOHNNYROCKET24, apprich, and Osman76).

That's not counting the thirteen mods who played 40 or more games (Gabriel13, *Pixar*, Keefie, DaveH, Razorvich, RedBaron0, chemefreak, macbone, IcePack, Nicky15, Dukasaur, Shannon Apple, mcShanester29)

CA medals are meant to be brutally difficult to get. For everyone else, there's the GAs....:)
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby iAmCaffeine on Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:21 am

Dukasaur wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:I'm 2 wins for 2 so far with that likely to go 5 for 5. If two mods could send me two games so I can go 7 for 7 that would be lovely. I'll play whatever settings I'm given.

Illustrious record, and I'd gladly help if I could, but yesterday was the cutoff date for starting games. Even if we could create games today, they wouldn't count. So you'll have to be happy with all the points you gathered off me...:)

That sucks. Two mods actually said they'd send me games before then and never did, oh well. Maybe this will be run smoothly next year.

Thanks anyhow.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby anamainiacks on Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:31 am

iAmCaffeine wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

That sucks. Two mods actually said they'd send me games before then and never did, oh well. Maybe this will be run smoothly next year.

Thanks anyhow.

I did! But you weren't online to accept the invites before the deadline passed, and all games that hadn't started were deleted, unfortunately... Sorry about that!
Colonel anamainiacks

Postby iAmCaffeine on Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:32 am

anamainiacks wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

Thanks anyhow.

I did! But you weren't online to accept the invites before the deadline passed, and all games that hadn't started were deleted, unfortunately... Sorry about that!

Not your fault, just one of those things. Deleting games is stupid in my opinion.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:49 pm

Game 14495987 No Whac Award was given for this game.
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:12 pm

Jdsizzleslice wrote:Game 14495987 No Whac Award was given for this game.

2014-06-02 00:18:54 - Game has been initialized

Your game began after midnight, and therefore does not count.

Get Play Tokens when Games Start (on or before June 1) and Win Tokens when you Win (on or before June 30)

You have until June 30th to finish games, but only had until June 1st to join them.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby shoop76 on Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:21 pm

It also says games must be entered using the event banner.
Sergeant 1st Class shoop76
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

Postby Shannon Apple on Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:49 pm

Hmm, you could join the games by searching for them as well. Some of us started games and put the pw in the game title. Those ones didn't appear on the banner but still count. Especially near the end, mods put up some games for people who had less than 7.
00:33:53 ā€¹riskllamaā€ŗ will her and i ever hook up, LLT???
00:34:09 ā€¹LiveLoveTeachā€ŗ You and Shannon?
00:34:20 ā€¹LiveLoveTeachā€ŗ Bahahahahahaha
00:34:22 ā€¹LiveLoveTeachā€ŗ I doubt it
00:34:30 ā€¹LiveLoveTeachā€ŗ I don't think she's into farm animals
Colonel Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby hwhrhett on Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:06 pm

Dukasaur wrote:

And yet, against all odds, nine players achieved it. (Pirlo, Domination 44, hwhrhett, uckuki, King Zvonimir, Likander, JOHNNYROCKET24, apprich, and Osman76).

That's not counting the thirteen mods who played 40 or more games (Gabriel13, *Pixar*, Keefie, DaveH, Razorvich, RedBaron0, chemefreak, macbone, IcePack, Nicky15, Dukasaur, Shannon Apple, mcShanester29)

CA medals are meant to be brutally difficult to get. For everyone else, there's the GAs....:)

only 9 of us? I hope im in the top 7!!! I was assuming there might have been more that just haven't had any wins come in yet to show up on scoreboard...
Cook hwhrhett

Postby Gilligan on Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:13 pm

redspyder wrote:
macbone wrote:
grt is going to be tough to beat, though. He joined exactly 7 games, has won 5, and 2 are still playing. The board has him at 71%, but he's actually a perfect 5 for 5 so far!

Yep. Tough to beat 100%.

Does anyone know what the final all-in Whac-A-Mod Showdown is going to look like?

I'm running that. Since there's still some time left for games to finish, I'm going to leave a little more suspense :)
Major Gilligan

Postby King Zvonimir on Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:16 pm

Dukasaur wrote:And yet, against all odds, nine players achieved it. (Pirlo, Domination 44, hwhrhett, uckuki, King Zvonimir, Likander, JOHNNYROCKET24, apprich, and Osman76).

Hope to stay in 7 of 9. :lol:
Colonel King Zvonimir

Postby Sir Riddick on Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:06 pm

hwhrhett wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

only 9 of us? I hope im in the top 7!!! I was assuming there might have been more that just haven't had any wins come in yet to show up on scoreboard...

Well I could have jumped on All the games put up, but seeing how it wasn't fair to everyone I felt bad joining as many as I did. When I was going to jump in more, the mods only wanted peeps under 7 tokens to whackem. The 40 was to high in respect to others trying to get in games. Just my opinion.

What does the #1 player get anyway, it doesn't say anywhere lol
Sergeant 1st Class Sir Riddick

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:13 am

Sir Riddick wrote:
hwhrhett wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

Well I could have jumped on All the games put up, but seeing how it wasn't fair to everyone I felt bad joining as many as I did. When I was going to jump in more, the mods only wanted peeps under 7 tokens to whackem. The 40 was to high in respect to others trying to get in games. Just my opinion.

What does the #1 player get anyway, it doesn't say anywhere lol

Yes, it's all in the first post:
  • Scoring is via Whac % (Wins Tokens/Play Tokens) with a qualifier of 7 Play Tokens
  • Collect 7 Play Tokens + 2 Win Tokens and score a General Achievement
  • The Top 7 Players with 40 Play Tokens or more win a Challenge Achievement
  • The Score Leader gets a Green Star
  • Top 32 Players and Top 16 Mods gain entry to the Whac-A-Mod Showdown!

The top player gets a Green Star. The top 32 players get admission to the post-event tourney. Everyone who joined 7 and won 2 gets a GA medal, and the top 40-game players also get a CA medal.

Just to be very clear: score is by win %, not by number of games. As long as you got your basic 7, you are eligible for the Green star, the GA medal, and the tourney entry. The only thing extra that the 40-game players qualify for is the CA medal.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby jackal31 on Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:54 pm

Shannon Apple wrote:Hmm, you could join the games by searching for them as well. Some of us started games and put the pw in the game title. Those ones didn't appear on the banner but still count. Especially near the end, mods put up some games for people who had less than 7.

I didnt find out about this until the last day. I too thought the idea was to join the games via the banner....so for the couple of days I was searching (before and after work for a few minutes), there were none to join.

I too believe this could have been run better. Players going for 40 I'm sure would have flooded the market if we all knew you could search them too. I think that was a bit deceptive. But also, if it is supposed to be a CA, then why not make the win % or defeating 5 unique mods the option rather than 40 games? This way everyone still gets a good shot at the medals without flooding the market. A game limit may be in order for certain "game hogs" too since I know this puts a load on the mods doing the games.
Best Score: 3476
1/9/12
Colonel jackal31

Postby macbone on Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:20 pm

I agree, Jackal. I'd like to see these events focus on quality over quantity, myself. Hopefully we'll take a look at how to improve the Whac-A-Mod for next year so that everyone has a fair chance to join games.
Colonel macbone

Postby iAmCaffeine on Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:14 am

macbone wrote:I agree, Jackal. I'd like to see these events focus on quality over quantity, myself. Hopefully we'll take a look at how to improve the Whac-A-Mod for next year so that everyone has a fair chance to join games.

+1

I could only get into five games, but I won them all.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby OutSider on Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:45 pm

+2

Didn't want to hog games while others had no chance to play. I barely found the ones I managed to get into......

-OS
Captain OutSider

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives