Conquer Club

July Challenge: World Cup 2014

An area holding all of the past and current Monthly Challenges.

Moderator: Community Team

Re: July Challenge: World Cup 2014

Postby DoomYoshi on Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:51 am

lokisgal wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:Just added a new ruling... bot games are not allowed.

I dont think you can add that ruling after the challenge has started. You can have it as a standing ruling for tournies from this point forward or for this one even from this point forward but to suddenly add it in the middle isnt right
just saying.... You cant make up the rules as you go along -

Well, technically, I can.

Can anyone give me a reason why bot games should be allowed?
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby hwhrhett on Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:15 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:
lokisgal wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:Just added a new ruling... bot games are not allowed.

I dont think you can add that ruling after the challenge has started. You can have it as a standing ruling for tournies from this point forward or for this one even from this point forward but to suddenly add it in the middle isnt right
just saying.... You cant make up the rules as you go along -

Well, technically, I can.

Can anyone give me a reason why bot games should be allowed?

bot games should not be allowed, i think it is a great decision... and should have been common sense, i would assume it would have been a glitch or oversight that allowed it in the first place
Cook hwhrhett

Postby lokisgal on Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:21 pm

Glitch or not they were not prohibited at the get go. If you overlook something that shouldn't penalize people who find what you missed. Make a note of it and make it a rule going forward but to do it in the middle of a challenge is just wrong. Is it our fault you overlooked that? Nope is it something that should not be allowed in future challenges sure absolutely unless its specifically something to do with bots.
Personally Im in other game as well and was then but none the less its a no no to change the rules in the middle of a game. Saying "technically I can" is like blaming your untied shoe for you tripping over your laces - no offense meant so please dont take that personally
Major lokisgal
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:52 am

Speaking as a tournament organiser, in my craft we try not to change the rules of a tournament in the middle, but sometimes something unforeseen comes up and it's simply necessary.

In my first couple of tournaments, I used Unlimited forts heavily (I was quite inexperienced) and it became obvious part way through the second tournament just how much Unlimited magnifies the first-turn advantage, so right in the middle I changed it so that Unlimited was only used in games of 6 players or more (where you start to see diminishing returns on first-turn advantage anyway) and everybody was happy with it, and so it stayed.

Since then there have been a few other situations where there was something I overlooked in making the tournament, and I changed it to make a better experience for all. Like I said, one tries to avoid this, but if one comes across something unforeseen that is ruining the show, it's better to make the change than not.

I think Doom did the right thing.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby iAmCaffeine on Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:25 am

If you're going to prohibit bot games then do it starting from the next challenge. Fucking hell, I thought these would start improving now that bW had fucked off control and DY was back, but I guess not. Once a prick always a prick.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby hwhrhett on Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:37 am

iAmCaffeine wrote:If you're going to prohibit bot games then do it starting from the next challenge. Fucking hell, I thought these would start improving now that bW had fucked off control and DY was back, but I guess not. Once a prick always a prick.

how are bot games even applicable to this challenge? I thought bot games could only be 2 players? did I miss something?
Cook hwhrhett

Postby iAmCaffeine on Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:58 am

hwhrhett wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:If you're going to prohibit bot games then do it starting from the next challenge. Fucking hell, I thought these would start improving now that bW had fucked off control and DY was back, but I guess not. Once a prick always a prick.

how are bot games even applicable to this challenge? I thought bot games could only be 2 players? did I miss something?

I thought that too, but it's not the case any more. You can play three and four player bot games.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby hwhrhett on Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:39 am

iAmCaffeine wrote:
hwhrhett wrote:

I thought that too, but it's not the case any more. You can play three and four player bot games.

how?
Cook hwhrhett

Postby Gilligan on Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:50 am

hwhrhett wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:
hwhrhett wrote:

how?

same thing - start a bot game....except now they are checkboxes instead of bubbles so you can select more than one
Major Gilligan

Postby biscuit boy on Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:06 pm

I didn't know BOT games could be played with more then 2. I discovered this by playing a couple of games with this challenge settings to play some maps I don't play. It should almost be part of this challenge just to get people to know you can play multi-player bot games. Wish they had more maps for bots thou. Additionally how is winning a bot game towards a challenge medal any different then guys creating 900+ games just to rack up points to win a green star? I do want to say I enjoy the Monthly challenges and want to thank all the volunteers that make this site work.
Private 1st Class biscuit boy

Postby hwhrhett on Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:21 pm

Gilligan wrote:
hwhrhett wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:
hwhrhett wrote:

how?

same thing - start a bot game....except now they are checkboxes instead of bubbles so you can select more than one

does each win count as a win against every bot? can I slam through my bot medal getting a win against all in one game?
Cook hwhrhett

Postby iAmCaffeine on Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:10 pm

biscuit boy wrote:I didn't know BOT games could be played with more then 2. I discovered this by playing a couple of games with this challenge settings to play some maps I don't play. It should almost be part of this challenge just to get people to know you can play multi-player bot games. Wish they had more maps for bots thou. Additionally how is winning a bot game towards a challenge medal any different then guys creating 900+ games just to rack up points to win a green star? I do want to say I enjoy the Monthly challenges and want to thank all the volunteers that make this site work.

Well said.

Playing against bots for the monthly challenges still gains more respect than anything JR24 does on this site.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby biscuit boy on Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:04 pm

iAmCaffeine wrote:
Well said.

Playing against bots for the monthly challenges still gains more respect than anything JR24 does on this site.

JR24 lol, he FOED me because I beat him once...

Postby Blitzkrieg Frank on Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:10 pm

Anyone who beats a bot and thinks they deserve the right to accept the challenge award is like taking performance enhancing drugs and winning gold at the Olympics.
Lieutenant Blitzkrieg Frank

Postby Blitzkrieg Frank on Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:12 pm

The blitzzzzzz has spoken us Aussies play fair.
Lieutenant Blitzkrieg Frank

Postby iAmCaffeine on Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:46 am

Regardless, it's bad policy to change the rules of the challenge mid-way. This should have been foreseen. It wasn't so the organisers should live with the error they have made and make adjustments for the next challenge. By not counting bot games now it just shows more disrespect and lack of care to the players involved, which is becoming increasingly common around here.

I still have two 2000+ private games on Brazil needing two more players.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby biscuit boy on Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:06 pm

I do really like the fact that just creating a game doesn't count towards anything.

Postby jackal31 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:30 pm

Blitzkrieg Frank wrote:Anyone who beats a bot and thinks they deserve the right to accept the challenge award is like taking performance enhancing drugs and winning gold at the Olympics.

I was thinking it'd be like an adult playing a sport with kids. "Lemme go strap on my pads and show these kids how it's done!"
Best Score: 3476
1/9/12
Colonel jackal31

Postby Agent 86 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:39 pm

Really, those complaining should have any bot games in this challenge and won spanked and hard :lol: Beating a bot for a medal challenge, cmon..just a bunch of cheats!!!
We are the Fallen, an unstoppable wave of Darkness.
Major Agent 86

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:07 pm

iAmCaffeine wrote:I still have two 2000+ private games on Brazil needing two more players.

Invite me, if this is still available.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:12 pm

iAmCaffeine wrote:This should have been foreseen.

This challenge was written before the June challenge. How was it supposed to have been foreseen?

The March Challenge never had a rule against Bot Games. It's common sense that they aren't allowed, and only a mild programming artifact that they were.
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby Sir Riddick on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:10 pm

I just want to say I was first to score. That is all.
Sergeant 1st Class Sir Riddick

Postby jonofperu on Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:15 am

I need 2 more teams or singles to join up to make teams for this tourney:

July Challenge Teams

Play games for the challenge and compete in a tourney at the same time! :D
Colonel jonofperu

Postby iAmCaffeine on Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:06 am

DoomYoshi wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:This should have been foreseen.

This challenge was written before the June challenge. How was it supposed to have been foreseen?

The March Challenge never had a rule against Bot Games. It's common sense that they aren't allowed, and only a mild programming artifact that they were.

Common sense would also dictate not to use secret diplomacy but people still do it. I haven't played bot games for this personally, I just think you should let it slide this time since it's essentially your error.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

PreviousNext

Return to Monthly Challenges