Conquer Club

Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [16.01.14] V45 Fixes

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [Abandoned] - 1588 Spanish Armada - V10-P7 Gameplay

Postby cairnswk on Sat May 19, 2012 11:50 am

isaiah40 wrote:I must say cairns, this version is a whole lot easier to follow than the previous versions!! I gather then that you are for sure working on this? Let me know, and I'll get it moved back into the Main Foundry for you!!

Yes, isaiah40, i am working on it again, now that i found a decent formula. I had asked tnb80 to change it to "on vacation" but considering slowness in the foundry these days, yes move it back for gameplay discussion please and see what the response is.
Thanks! :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby isaiah40 on Sat May 19, 2012 4:04 pm

[MOVED]

Back to the Main Foundry you go!!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby cairnswk on Sat May 19, 2012 9:01 pm

isaiah40 wrote:[MOVED]

Thanks isaiah40.

Does anyone understand how the basics of the Treasury and Monarch with Command Ships work?
Private cairnswk

Postby army of nobunaga on Sun May 20, 2012 9:07 pm

cairnswk wrote:
isaiah40 wrote:[MOVED]

Thanks isaiah40.

Does anyone understand how the basics of the Treasury and Monarch with Command Ships work?

I studied this last night, I think I get it. I actually look forward to this map and I am not a huge fan of large complicated maps.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby cairnswk on Fri May 25, 2012 3:12 pm

army of nobunaga wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

I studied this last night, I think I get it. I actually look forward to this map and I am not a huge fan of large complicated maps.

Large - yes. Complicated - not so much i think.
Same command ships principals as Trafalgar, easier to read than Trafalgar, just a bit of range attacking in the Treasury :)
Private cairnswk

Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [20.5.12] V10-P7 Gameplay?

Postby cairnswk on Thu May 31, 2012 1:50 am

I'm working on small changes in graphics at present...
but i don't want to do anything much further until someone has had a look at gameplay.
Any offers....
Private cairnswk

Postby zimmah on Thu May 31, 2012 3:40 am

the map looks very complicated to me, i think it should be worked on to make it more clear.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby cairnswk on Thu May 31, 2012 3:49 am

zimmah wrote:the map looks very complicated to me, i think it should be worked on to make it more clear.

Ah. i've already done that from the original. Glad to hear suggestions if you have them...
Private cairnswk

Postby nolefan5311 on Thu May 31, 2012 8:42 am

This map has a lot going on...I will try to take a look this evening and get back with some ideas. Is there any way that the Supply bases/ships can be made a different color than the rest of the ships? It's taking me a long time to locate them, lol.

Thanks.
Captain nolefan5311

Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [1.6.12] V11-P8 Gameplay?

Postby cairnswk on Thu May 31, 2012 12:21 pm

nolefan5311 wrote:This map has a lot going on...I will try to take a look this evening and get back with some ideas. Is there any way that the Supply bases/ships can be made a different color than the rest of the ships? It's taking me a long time to locate them, lol.
Thanks.

Yes it has a lot going on...to try to remain relatively true to the history where 6 scirmishes were fought along the south English Coast it was never going to be a small map nor a simple one.
To make the map slightly different the Treasury concept was added.
Because of the 12 players It also allows for expansion of the team game concepts, thus adding other dimensions to CC
i.e. 2 x 6 players, 6 x 2 players, 3 x 4 players, 4 x 3 players.

Version 11.
1. Supply ships are now coloured
2. re-organising the top legend...still have the land armies of de Parma to put in as a bonus.

Private cairnswk

Postby nolefan5311 on Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:38 am

Honestly, I do not see any GP issues at present. It's a conquest map, which makes things a little simpler, even though this might be the most complicated map on the site when all is said and done :D.

I will get with ian to see if he has any issues.
Captain nolefan5311

Postby iancanton on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:40 pm

i don't yet understand the map, but there are certainly a few issues (and more will probably rear their head when i manage to work out even half of what's happening)!

there are seven yellow command ships, but san lorenzo has no shield. what is its significance?

de parma has B and A instead of B and S.

the command ships at the ends are mostly a bit closer to each other than are the command ships in the middle, which is good because the end positions are advantageous in multi-player games. however, some are close enough to bombard each other, which is a bit unfair if these are start positions. perhaps rearrange the westernmost two command ships and other territories to bring them closer to the others.

we also need to address the region bonus, since 36, 48 (currently proposed), 60, 72 and so on are not good values for the number of starting regions.

ian. :)
Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:06 pm

nolefan5311 wrote:Honestly, I do not see any GP issues at present. It's a conquest map, which makes things a little simpler, even though this might be the most complicated map on the site when all is said and done :D.

There's really not much complicated about it. It has a pretty basic bonus structure. It's just the layout is a little "unorthodox". I think some of the wording could be changed to help clarify some things. I'll look into it more tomorrow, when I'll have more than a few minutes.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:28 pm

Ok, great concept for a map, you never cease to amaze me.

I see a few general balance issues; I think also by highlighting ideal strategies for the various starting positions, it will help elucidate other issues that I failed to notice.

San Cristobel: Probably the worst starting position. There are no bonuses anywhere near here, although some may appreciate the isolation on early turn Escalaters.

San Juan Du Portugal: This one has the nastiest ideal strategy. Basically, your best bet is to take Ark Royal since it is so spread out, it probably can't defend itself (unless it focuses on water).

Ark Royal: Ignore the land, focus on getting Isle of Wight.

Revenge: If no red player, beacons. Else, portland.

Triumph: beacons. Get ready for a war with Capitania.

Capitania: If no red player, eddystone. If there is a red player, go get his ship.

Santa Ana: Similar to San Cristobel

Victory: connect your armies and then work on the fireships

Rainbow: Grab a quick Beacon bonus (and Fort bonsu) and then get ready to fight for San Lorenzo. Without a Vanguard player, this is my favourite starting position. If Sunny is on and you see that there is a Vanguard Player, you may want to go straight for the San Lorenzo.

Vanguard: With no de Parma player, go for San Lorenzo. With de Parma player, strike an alliance and then go for San Lorenzo as the fighting will kill you.

de Parma: sucks. You could go into a turn 1 war with Vanguard. Unless you get spectacular dice though, it is suicide. Netherlands should be a bonus region.

San Martin: I am not sure what to do here. If the gravelines connected to the Bow or the Bow was the start instead of the stern, this wouldn't be so tough, it would just make a 3-way war for the San Lorenzo. (probably not though as the Rainbow player would drop out to focus on land and firelines). As it stands, I don't know what the ideal strategy is.

Anyways, there is my report. Hopefully, some players will agree with some things and disagree with others but now we have a starting point to focus on gameplay.
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:03 pm

iancanton wrote:i don't yet understand the map, but there are certainly a few issues (and more will probably rear their head when i manage to work out even half of what's happening)!

Don't tell me i've got you stumped ian...well i never :-$
there are seven yellow command ships, but san lorenzo has no shield. what is its significance?

de parma has B and A instead of B and S.

i am still figuring what to do there...there is also from research today...some misinformation about the commander of the san lorenzo Don Hugo de Macodana...everywhere i am looking there is links to what appears to be his fatherwho died in 1528....so i am reluctant to use him.

seven what appears to be command ships, but you'll notice that de Parma has no ship <- land based army....B and A for no other than alpha significance...but prolly should change that to Front and Rear :idea:

Anyways, see how we go....de parma may be the one to start neutral out of the seven

the command ships at the ends are mostly a bit closer to each other than are the command ships in the middle, which is good because the end positions are advantageous in multi-player games. however, some are close enough to bombard each other, which is a bit unfair if these are start positions. perhaps rearrange the westernmost two command ships and other territories to bring them closer to the others.

you mean Triumph and Capitania?....and San Lorenzo?? and Vanguard ?
i should be able to pull them apart to insert another tert between those

we also need to address the region bonus, since 36, 48 (currently proposed), 60, 72 and so on are not good values for the number of starting regions.
ian. :)

OK, but let's see what happens with ship placement first, then i think we can look at numbers.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:03 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:
nolefan5311 wrote:Honestly, I do not see any GP issues at present. It's a conquest map, which makes things a little simpler, even though this might be the most complicated map on the site when all is said and done :D.

There's really not much complicated about it. It has a pretty basic bonus structure. It's just the layout is a little "unorthodox". I think some of the wording could be changed to help clarify some things. I'll look into it more tomorrow, when I'll have more than a few minutes.

-Sully

Cool Sully, thanks
Private cairnswk

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:59 pm

No comment :(
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:38 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:No comment :(

Gees DoomYoshi..gimme time pls ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:46 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:Ok, great concept for a map, you never cease to amaze me.

Thank-you DoomYoshi...appreciate you popped in to give your thoughts. :)

I see a few general balance issues; I think also by highlighting ideal strategies for the various starting positions, it will help elucidate other issues that I failed to notice.

I see you've given good thought to this...i won't go into each one specifically since it appears from your feedback most of them needed shifting, so i have. Perhaps you' like to see if this layout is more balanced.

Anyways, there is my report. Hopefully, some players will agree with some things and disagree with others but now we have a starting point to focus on gameplay.

Good feedback. Thanks. :)
Private cairnswk

Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [16.6.12] V12-P8 Gameplay?

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:00 pm

Version 12. - with armies and starts

Please note - N.S. del Rosario has no shield at present - still researching :geek:

Click image to enlarge.

V12 small map
Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:46 pm

Quite a dramatic shift. I won't have much time to look into it before Wednesday Night though.
Major DoomYoshi

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:43 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:Quite a dramatic shift. I won't have much time to look into it before Wednesday Night though.

That's cool 8-)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:58 am

DoomYoshi wrote:Quite a dramatic shift. I won't have much time to look into it before Wednesday Night though.

I'm making another dramatic shift to get some vessels closer and more even to land supplies etc....please hold off on analysis until that is done. ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:21 pm

OK, this is the updated V12.
with numbers first
Click image to enlarge.

then some analaysis on the starting positions...as best i can work them...where there are anomolies these might be able to be overcome with adjustments to neutrals

and the map without numbers
Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [23.6.12] V13-P9 Gameplay?

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:58 pm

I've simply changed a couple of colours now that i found the glass texture for them

Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas