Conquer Club

Slovakia - V12 - Pg 1&14

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Slovakia [22.01.12] - V5 - P1&5

Postby natty dread on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:47 am

My only concern is, the region borders are a bit hard to see at some places, mainly at the middle of the map where there's lots of things happening under them (the flag)... Maybe you could highlight them a bit more?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby DiM on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:50 am

the borders will change. i'll make each continent have a continuous border and keep the dotted ones for the terits inside each continent.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby thenobodies80 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:56 am

Now it's 24 regions so I changed back to sticky. ;)

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby DiM on Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:09 am

V6:
*made different borders for each province
*made a minimap
*moved the title.

Click image to enlarge.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:46 am

Couple of graphical things... firstly, the borders look good now. Also, I think the mountains could be a bit more visible at some places, maybe have them pop out a bit more or make them a bit lighter... but it's not a huge issue. The main issue I have is this...

The colourful flags that you use to denote bonuses (I guess they're some sort of regional flags/emblems/shields etc) are very fitting thematically, but from a purely aesthetic perspective - I don't think they fit on the map. At. All.

You have a really nice, stone-like, bleak, gothic feel on the map, with the grey background and the red-white-blue colour scheme, which overall has a cold feel to it... but then, all these warm, harlequinesque colours of the flags kinda ruin it.

I don't know the "right" solution here - anything you decide will have to be a compromise, IMO: either you sacrifice some thematic integrity or you sacrifice some visual appeal... a bad deal either way... but I think if you put your mind to it you can come up with a decent solution here.

Postby DiM on Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:05 am

natty_dread wrote:Couple of graphical things... firstly, the borders look good now.

good

natty_dread wrote:Also, I think the mountains could be a bit more visible at some places, maybe have them pop out a bit more or make them a bit lighter... but it's not a huge issue. The main issue I have is this...

will do

natty_dread wrote:The colourful flags that you use to denote bonuses (I guess they're some sort of regional flags/emblems/shields etc) are very fitting thematically, but from a purely aesthetic perspective - I don't think they fit on the map. At. All.

You have a really nice, stone-like, bleak, gothic feel on the map, with the grey background and the red-white-blue colour scheme, which overall has a cold feel to it... but then, all these warm, harlequinesque colours of the flags kinda ruin it.

I don't know the "right" solution here - anything you decide will have to be a compromise, IMO: either you sacrifice some thematic integrity or you sacrifice some visual appeal... a bad deal either way... but I think if you put your mind to it you can come up with a decent solution here.

you're right. will fix now.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:06 am

V7:
*made the mountains pop up more
*made grungier flags

Click image to enlarge.
Major DiM

Re: Slovakia [30.01.12] - V7 - P1&6

Postby natty dread on Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:10 am

Well, that's a decent solution and it does look better. I still have a slight issue with the yellow colour, but that may just be because I hate yellow for some reason... :lol:

Postby Oneyed on Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:18 pm

just one notice - impassables are rivers, not mountains...

but nice progres :D

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby DiM on Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:23 am

Oneyed wrote:just one notice - impassables are rivers, not mountains...

Oneyed

thanks oneyed.

PS: any chance of getting a stamp? 8-[
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:00 am

DiM wrote:PS: any chance of getting a stamp? 8-[

Patience, young grasshopper...

I'll put a good word in for you :lol:

About the yellow - I wonder if it'd be possible to adjust the yellow colour just a bit, to more of a cold yellow... Kind of like what's between yellow and lime? If you know what I mean... maybe that would fit better with the overall colour scheme? Might be worth a try...

Postby DiM on Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:23 am

natty_dread wrote:

About the yellow - I wonder if it'd be possible to adjust the yellow colour just a bit, to more of a cold yellow... Kind of like what's between yellow and lime? If you know what I mean... maybe that would fit better with the overall colour scheme? Might be worth a try...

that would mean messing with official flags. i'd rather not do it since this pretty much means some people will get pissed and complain
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:38 am

DiM wrote:that would mean messing with official flags. i'd rather not do it since this pretty much means some people will get pissed and complain

I wouldn't be messing as such. You'd just be adjusting the hue of the yellow a bit, it'd still be yellow - it could be compared to viewing the flag in a different lighting: it would still be the same flag, but the perception of it would be different.

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:04 am

DiM wrote:
natty_dread wrote:

that would mean messing with official flags. i'd rather not do it since this pretty much means some people will get pissed and complain

I think the colours themselves are fine, but maybe if the flags were round instead of square they would be less visually jarring?

Just an idea.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Oneyed on Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:58 am

Dukasaur wrote:

Just an idea.

these are Czech military mark and flag...
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:09 am

Here you go DiM!!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Oneyed on Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:33 pm

DiM wrote:
Oneyed wrote:just one notice - impassables are rivers, not mountains...

Oneyed

thanks oneyed.

I noticed it also for graphic change. I think rivers should look as rivers, not mountains :)

congrat to stamp

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:28 pm

Oneyed wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

Just an idea.

these are Czech military mark and flag...

Why do you misinterpret everything I say?

I know the difference between a Czech flag and a Slovak flag; I was just using it for an example, not suggesting that he use those colours.

I was just showing how the round is less obtrusive than the square, even when colours are the same. DiM's problem was that the flags were too obtrusive. Natty suggested that he should make the colours muddier to make them stand out less. I was just offering a suggestion that instead of muddying the colours he could make the flags round instead of square.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Oneyed on Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:27 am

Dukasaur wrote:Why do you misinterpret everything I say?

everything? sorry, but about what you are talking here?
Dukasaur wrote:I know the difference between a Czech flag and a Slovak flag; I was just using it for an example, not suggesting that he use those colours.

ok. but then you should know how contestation is using something what reminds Czechoslovak flag for Slovak symbols...
Dukasaur wrote:I was just showing how the round is less obtrusive than the square, even when colours are the same. DiM's problem was that the flags were too obtrusive. Natty suggested that he should make the colours muddier to make them stand out less. I was just offering a suggestion that instead of muddying the colours he could make the flags round instead of square.

flags used by DiM are official flags of regions. I agree that round looks better. maybe coat of arms would be a way...?

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:19 pm

As far as bonuses go, for such a small map I don't think having a single-region bonus area is a good idea. Therefore, I think Bratislava should simply be +0. In addition, it has such a peripheral location and it only borders Trnava, so one could easily hold Trnava and Bratislava for a solid +3. Secondly, I think Presov should be lowered to +2. At first, it seems somewhat appropriate, given holding a bonus in a small map is a bit harder than it would be in a large map, however, Banska is also a 4-region bonus area and it is appropriately a +3. And, in a smaller map, smaller bonuses go further.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Oneyed on Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:36 pm

DiM, for Banska in legend use Banska Bystrica or shortly B. Bystrica.

you do not use ˇ´ but in Podpoľanie you have ľ. so maybe you would use only l.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby tokle on Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:42 pm

You have mixed up the flags of Bratislava and Trnava. They should be the other way around.

And the region-divisions look pretty strange to me. What did you use for reference?
Major tokle

Postby Oneyed on Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:59 pm

tokle wrote:You have mixed up the flags of Bratislava and Trnava. They should be the other way around.

yes.
tokle wrote:And the region-divisions look pretty strange to me. What did you use for reference?

there are only 8 official regions in Slovakia. and there was a problem with too little regions for gameplay. regions used now are historical-cultural regions of Slovakia.
bonuses are based on 8 official regions.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby tokle on Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:14 pm

Oneyed wrote:
tokle wrote:And the region-divisions look pretty strange to me. What did you use for reference?

there are only 8 official regions in Slovakia. and there was a problem with too little regions for gameplay. regions used now are historical-cultural regions of Slovakia.

Oneyed

Yes. I meant the bonus regions. They don't correspond to the borders of the regions as they are in reality.
Major tokle

Postby DiM on Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:07 pm

tokle wrote:
Oneyed wrote:

Oneyed

Yes. I meant the bonus regions. They don't correspond to the borders of the regions as they are in reality.

i did the territories according to this map:

if you have suggestions as to how i should do the bonus regions i'm wide open.
Major DiM

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box