Conquer Club

Czecho Slovak Fragmentation

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Czecho Slovak Fragmentation - changes are done

Postby Oneyed on Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:44 am

RedBaron0 wrote:Without any issues commented on this'll be last call on this map, any further issues should be mentioned within the next couple days. After that, quench.

I asked some guys who play this map before changes and after changes and they like it more after changes. so I hope everybody is happy with this map. :)

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby iancanton on Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:47 pm

RedBaron0 wrote:Without any issues commented on this'll be last call on this map, any further issues should be mentioned within the next couple days. After that, quench.

there were only 2 completed 1v1, auto-placement, sequential, escalating, chained, sunny, non-trench games with unlimited rounds (the same settings as my previous analysis), being Game 14818931 and Game 14771871, that used the xml with n2 neutrals and +1 auto-deploy for the two capitals. both capitals were attacked successfully in 1 game and bratislava was the sole capital taken in 1 game. in both games, the first player to take praha or bratislava lost the game. no-one received a bonus from the drop and player 1 won 1 out of 2, which is 50%.

i also analysed 10 completed polymorphic-2, auto-placement, sequential, no spoils, chained, sunny, non-trench games with unlimited rounds, from Game 14875307 to Game 14911644, that used the xml with n2 neutrals and +1 auto-deploy for the two capitals. both capitals were attacked successfully in no games, bratislava was the sole capital taken in 1 game, praha was the sole capital taken in 2 games and both capitals remained neutral in 7 games. in the 3 games where a capital was taken, the first player to take a capital always lost the game. no-one received a bonus from the drop and player 1 won 5 out of 10, which is 50%.

in the 12 games above, praha was ignored in 9 games (75%), bratislava was ignored in 9 games (75%) and both were ignored in 7 games (58%). a negative bonus was awarded in both standard games, but in none of the polymorphic-2 games. the czech kraj bonus was held in 10 games out of 12 (including both standard games), the slovak kraj bonus in 8 games (all 8 were poly-2), the czech town bonus in 3 games (1 standard and 2 poly-2) and the slovak town bonus in 2 games (both standard).

Dukasaur wrote:You might want to see what percentage of those who capture an early capital go on to win the game.

in 5 games out of 12, a player captured at least one capital. in all 5 games, the first player to take a capital lost the game, so the success rate was 0%.

Oneyed wrote:could capitals start as n3? is it not too much +1 with 4 towns and +1 autodeploy for region which starts n2?

even with neutrals at n2, auto-deploy of +1 and bonus of +1 for 4 towns, the capitals are unpopular in poly-2 games, perhaps because the first one to take a capital usually loses. if u start the capitals at n3, then u must increase the auto-deploy to +2 to compensate.

Oneyed wrote:I asked some guys who play this map before changes and after changes and they like it more after changes. so I hope everybody is happy with this map. :)

this sounds promising! it's mainly ur decision as to whether u want to quench the map now (i believe we're ready), wait for more data or change the neutrals and auto-deploy. do u agree with promoting the map now to full live play?

ian. :)
Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Oneyed on Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:17 pm

some results of your analysis sonds very good.
I am not happy that capitals are so unpopular and also that towns bonus is so rare held.
also it is interesting that player who take capitalas the first lost each game...

I am fine with move map forward. maybe we should try to doone change for towns bonus from "+1 for every 4 towns" to "+1 for every 3 towns", or "+2 for every 4 towns"?

ian, what a great analysis! thank you :)

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby iancanton on Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:05 pm

if u want to change the town bonus, then "+2 for every 4 towns" sounds good. this will make the praha town bonus more easily broken (higher risk and higher reward), compared with "+1 for every 3 towns". perhaps u can also remove the starting neutral for brno because there is no special advantage in holding brno. even with only a neutral of n1, brno is sometimes ignored. not everyone wants to see veveri castle!

http://www.veveri.cz/en/

Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Oneyed on Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:14 pm

very nice castle. I never hear about it. did you visit it?

ok, I will change bonus for towns. I can not remember why Brno was codded as n1.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Re: Czecho Slovak Fragmentation - new xml and towns bonus

Postby Oneyed on Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:07 am

last change:
capitals gain +2 for every 4 towns in the same republic.
Brno is not neutral.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Oneyed
Attachments
Fragmentation_of_CSFR.xml
(15.88 KiB) Downloaded 662 times
Last edited by Oneyed on Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby iancanton on Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:04 pm

iancanton wrote:not everyone wants to see veveri castle!

http://www.veveri.cz/en/

Oneyed wrote:very nice castle. I never hear about it. did you visit it?

yes, although the outside of veveri castle looks better than the inside; u might expect this because its website describes it as one of the oldest and most damaged castles in the czech republic (not as old and damaged as devin castle, of course, so bratislava wins this competition)! the boat trip fom the edge of the city of brno is scenic and very pleasant.

http://www.vyletnicile.cz/en/pastime-an ... nce/?id=27
http://www.bratislavaguide.com/devin-castle-bratislava

i can see only 2 faults with the new xml.

the first is that, having doubled the positive town bonuses, the negative kraj bonuses are too weak now, so it's usually worthwhile to attack someone's capital city, even if holding opposite kraje. this means we'll see less of a fragmentation effect (one czech player against one slovak player) in games. do u agree that doubling the negative bonuses will fix this issue?

the second is very minor and affects only the comments in the xml: u've misspelled positive as postitive.

Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Oneyed on Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:43 pm

iancanton wrote: not as old and damaged as devin castle, of course, so bratislava wins this competition)!

I live about 10 minutes by car from Devin castle :) it has roots in Nitra principality (about 800 AD).
iancanton wrote:i can see only 2 faults with the new xml.

the first is that, having doubled the positive town bonuses, the negative kraj bonuses are too weak now, so it's usually worthwhile to attack someone's capital city, even if holding opposite kraje. this means we'll see less of a fragmentation effect (one czech player against one slovak player) in games. do u agree that doubling the negative bonuses will fix this issue?

ok. I think we have two possibilities here:
doubling negative bonus. or
make +1 for 3 towns.

I am afraid that doubling negative bonus brings us to extreme. but in another hand the fragmentation would have bigger effect.
iancanton wrote:the second is very minor and affects only the comments in the xml: u've misspelled positive as postitive.

fixed.

thanks ian.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby RedBaron0 on Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:03 pm

Just so I know for sure, the files in the above post are current, yes?
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby Oneyed on Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:28 am

RedBaron0 wrote:Just so I know for sure, the files in the above post are current, yes?

yes. but not definitely, I must find any solution with ian about negative bonus/town bonus.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby RedBaron0 on Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:01 pm

Just making sure the files are right before I test them out and kick hem up to the big man.
ImageImage

Postby iancanton on Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:56 am

Oneyed wrote:
iancanton wrote:having doubled the positive town bonuses, the negative kraj bonuses are too weak now, so it's usually worthwhile to attack someone's capital city, even if holding opposite kraje. this means we'll see less of a fragmentation effect (one czech player against one slovak player) in games. do u agree that doubling the negative bonuses will fix this issue?

make +1 for 3 towns.

I am afraid that doubling negative bonus brings us to extreme. but in another hand the fragmentation would have bigger effect.

if we choose +2 for 4 towns or +1 for 3 towns, then doubling the negative bonus might be exactly what we need to discourage players in 1v1 from immediately attacking their opponent's capital, so that a player can feel more confident about being the first to take a capital city.

if we have +1 for 3 towns then, in 1v1, each player starts with an average of 7 czech and 4 slovak regions. if a player conquers praha, then he'll receive more troops than if his opponent conquers bratislava. however, we can correct this by making praha start with n3 neutrals, compared with n2 for bratislava.

which one do u prefer?

Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Oneyed on Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:48 am

iancanton wrote:
Oneyed wrote:
iancanton wrote:having doubled the positive town bonuses, the negative kraj bonuses are too weak now, so it's usually worthwhile to attack someone's capital city, even if holding opposite kraje. this means we'll see less of a fragmentation effect (one czech player against one slovak player) in games. do u agree that doubling the negative bonuses will fix this issue?

make +1 for 3 towns.

if we choose +2 for 4 towns or +1 for 3 towns, then doubling the negative bonus might be exactly what we need to discourage players in 1v1 from immediately attacking their opponent's capital, so that a player can feel more confident about being the first to take a capital city.

if we have +1 for 3 towns then, in 1v1, each player starts with an average of 7 czech and 4 slovak regions. if a player conquers praha, then he'll receive more troops than if his opponent conquers bratislava. however, we can correct this by making praha start with n3 neutrals, compared with n2 for bratislava.

which one do u prefer?

then doubling negative bonus sounds better, I think. ok will work on it. thanks ian.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby Oneyed on Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:58 am

here are the latest versions of maps and xml.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Oneyed
Attachments
Fragmentation_of_CSFR.xml
(15.88 KiB) Downloaded 621 times
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby iancanton on Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:00 pm

the bonuses look correct to me. over to the baron (or gilligan) now!

Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby RedBaron0 on Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:25 pm

Sorry for the wait, RL has been kicking my ass this past week. In fact I'm at work now... Till late Sunday night. :( I'll get you checked out and over to BG first chance I get on Monday. (Remind me if it starts getting late on Monday.)
ImageImage

Postby RedBaron0 on Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:45 am

Files are up, do me a favor though, next time (if necessary) please don't use parenthesis in file names, it does strange things.... :?

:lol:
ImageImage

Postby Oneyed on Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:24 am

thanks RedBaron. no parenthesis more :)

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby iancanton on Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:02 pm

the wrong xml file is in play! Game 14948287 shows a negative bonus of -1, not -2.

Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby iancanton on Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:09 am

silly me, i was looking at an old game! Game 14972716 shows the correct negative bonus: a player can receive -4 troops only by holding praha and 2 slovak kraje.

2014-10-30 00:14:55 - ganguscalm received -4 troops for holding ?

Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby V.J. on Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:27 am

Your bonuses don't work. I'm holding Praha and Towns (2) in game 15120069 and I'm not getting +2
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class V.J.

Postby iancanton on Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:19 pm

for +2, u have to hold praha and 4 czech towns, not praha and 2 czech towns.

Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:09 am

So is this every going to be quenched?
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Oneyed on Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:21 am

Dukasaur wrote:So is this every going to be quenched?

I like the new bonuses. the last word has ian :)

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Re: Czecho Slovak Fragmentation

Postby casper on Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:41 pm

Played a poly trench game. Too hard to hold *two* krajes in Czech Republic. Once my opponent grabbed *one* kraj in Slovakia, there was not much I could do...
Major casper

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas