Conquer Club

[Online] Map XML Wizard

How to make a map. Official Handbook, Guides, Tutorials and more...

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: UPDATED Map XML Wizard

Postby ender516 on Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:36 pm

chipv wrote:
natty_dread wrote:The problem with the ampersands is, that I had ampersands correctly escaped with & but when I loaded the map into wizard, then saved it again with the wizard, the wizard changed them back to plain ampersands, and I had to change them again manually. I'm not sure if this has been fixed already, but that's how it was when I worked on the nordic xml.

This needs fixing and would have stayed broken had you not given such a clear description of the problem, thanks!

I'm glad natty got my point across. So will you be handling ampersands and less-than signs, so that if I type one into the name of a territory or continent, it will be properly escaped in the XML?
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby chipv on Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:28 pm

New update with a number of small fixes mainly to correct the output on pressing Show XML:

Incoming escaped characters correctly escaped for outgoing XML (natty_dread)
Textbox entry of invalid XML characters escaped for outgoing XML (ender516)
Removed failure of outgoing XML for HTML special characters
Corrected output of positions
Delete territories from positions when territory completely removed from XML
Corrected yellow highlight for positions and objectives
Corrected map inspect for multiple nested continents

I have not yet done the coordinates, that should be next unless there are any other requests.
Thanks for bug reports, keep them coming please, as well as enhancement requests.
Colonel chipv

Postby natty dread on Thu May 13, 2010 12:44 pm

Is there any chance we could ever see a downloadable version of the wizard?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby cairnswk on Sun May 23, 2010 3:07 pm

chipv
what a great tool you've created here. =D> =D> =D>
I was able to complete the xml for Stalingrad in 6 hours yesterday.
Thoroughly recommend using this tool!

On an improvement note....
The header line that has borders, bombardments etc is currently scrolling with the data input.
Is it possible to make that line not scroll...i found that sometimes i forgot which section it was that i was doing, and making it not scroll would assist to see what it is that is being worked on.

Thanks once again. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby ender516 on Sun May 23, 2010 3:33 pm

cairnswk wrote:chipv
what a great tool you've created here. =D> =D> =D>
I was able to complete the xml for Stalingrad in 6 hours yesterday.
Thoroughly recommend using this tool!

On an improvement note....
The header line that has borders, bombardments etc is currently scrolling with the data input.
Is it possible to make that line not scroll...i found that sometimes i forgot which section it was that i was doing, and making it not scroll would assist to see what it is that is being worked on.

Thanks once again. :)

The availability of this excellent tool was why I was willing and able to offer to do the Stalingrad XML for you. :D
With regards to scrolling, I have noticed that sometimes when I am using the arrow keys to fix coordinates, the window scrolls as well, which can be a bother.

Postby MrBenn on Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:40 pm

Hey chip, I've found a flaw with the "play game" feature... Starting positions get equally divided amongst the players, so if you have eight positions, then each player in a 1v1 will get four of them. When I tested the XML for the World Cup map, it indicated that each player would start with 11 terrs, when in fact they will each begin with 12, because of the starting positions :-k
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby chipv on Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:03 pm

MrBenn wrote:Hey chip, I've found a flaw with the "play game" feature... Starting positions get equally divided amongst the players, so if you have eight positions, then each player in a 1v1 will get four of them. When I tested the XML for the World Cup map, it indicated that each player would start with 11 terrs, when in fact they will each begin with 12, because of the starting positions :-k

Yeah, I've allocated the start positions in the same way as the pot.
For 2 players it is divided like 3 players but not for starting positions, right.
Colonel chipv

Postby MrBenn on Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:19 pm

Starting positions are divided completely equally between all players, regardless of the number. Any spares go into the pot for general distribution unless they are coded as neutral starts. Starting positions override neutral starts.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby ender516 on Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:22 am

Hey, chipv, with the recent updates to the way the site displays numbers, will you be doing any changes to this tool in a similar vein? I know in the past there have been questions about numbers being slightly mispositioned as compared to how the site would show them, and some variation with colour.

Postby chipv on Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:58 am

MrBenn wrote:Starting positions are divided completely equally between all players, regardless of the number. Any spares go into the pot for general distribution unless they are coded as neutral starts. Starting positions override neutral starts.

Fixed.

For 2 players, even distributions for starts. For the general pot 2 is treated like 3.
Colonel chipv

Postby natty dread on Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:00 pm

Somehow, the XML wizard has set all my small map coords to 0,0 and now it's impossible to fix them since they're all stacked into the upper left corner.

How do I fix this?

link to xml -> http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/2/7/2 ... ientx1.xml

Postby MrBenn on Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:03 pm

natty_dread wrote:Somehow, the XML wizard has set all my small map coords to 0,0 and now it's impossible to fix them since they're all stacked into the upper left corner.

How do I fix this?

Can you go through the xml in a text editor and delete out the 0,0 coords (ie remove each line completely?)

--on a side note, do you have an old copy to backup from/revert to?
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby natty dread on Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:08 pm

MrBenn wrote:
natty_dread wrote:Somehow, the XML wizard has set all my small map coords to 0,0 and now it's impossible to fix them since they're all stacked into the upper left corner.

How do I fix this?

Can you go through the xml in a text editor and delete out the 0,0 coords (ie remove each line completely?)

--on a side note, do you have an old copy to backup from/revert to?

No, this was the first time I saved it...

I guess I can remove them with the search & destroy function of notepad easily enough. Thanks MrB.

Postby natty dread on Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:16 pm

Well I did that and now the wizard refuses to load the XML. (good thing I didn't overwrite the original.)

Postby ender516 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:24 pm

Sounds like it may be time to give the tool the ability to alter the coordinates by typing in the toolbox.

Postby natty dread on Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:32 pm

Even better would be if you could also move the coordinates by mouse. Keyboard moving can be tedious if the coordinate is on the opposite edge of the image from where it should be...

Anyway, can anyone help me fix my coordinates?

Postby chipv on Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:05 pm

This has happened because you only loaded one map. The instructions do say load both.
There is no way for the XML Wizard to auto-calculate the other coordinates so they are marked as zero
in order to produce valid XML.

I suggest for now, copy the coordinates over the zeroes so that small map = large map coords and then
nudge them which at least means you dont have to redo the rest of the XML.

Perhaps I can give a button to autocalculate the second map coords, this is not the first time someone has done this.
Colonel chipv

Postby MrBenn on Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:08 pm

Jota's Map Assistant can help fill in the missing coordinates. (There's a link to it in the mapmaker tools thread.)

You can load in the XML file (with the set of coords missing), and click in roughly the right place to generate the coords. Once you've done that, you should be able to use the XML wizard to finetune the positioning...
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby MrBenn on Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:09 pm

chipv wrote:This has happened because you only loaded one map. The instructions do say load both.
There is no way for the XML Wizard to auto-calculate the other coordinates so they are marked as zero
in order to produce valid XML.

I suggest for now, copy the coordinates over the zeroes so that small map = large map coords and then
nudge them which at least means you dont have to redo the rest of the XML.

Perhaps I can give a button to autocalculate the second map coords, this is not the first time someone has done this.

A "recalculate coords" button would be useful, and would help idiot-proof that functionality :P
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby natty dread on Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:14 pm

vPerhaps I can give a button to autocalculate the second map coords, this is not the first time someone has done this.

Do that please :)

thanks mrbenn, I managed to fix the XML with Jota's tool.

Postby chipv on Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:44 pm

natty_dread wrote:
vPerhaps I can give a button to autocalculate the second map coords, this is not the first time someone has done this.

Do that please :)

Done. There are 2 new buttons called Auto xy.
If you have forgotten to add a second image and already entered a lot of territories then
use the button once you do load the second image.

It will only correct coords (0,0) so you don't lose any coords that you already did on the second map.
Colonel chipv

Postby natty dread on Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:21 pm

Ah, a bit late for me as I already fixed my coords, but a nice addition nonetheless.

Now you could maybe look into fixing the clipped army numbers? They're kinda annoying...

Postby chipv on Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:29 pm

New update - made a correction to gameplay with complex nested continents and overrides found during work on a new map which works now.

Natty any chance of writing another post to summarize what you want whilst I'm at it?
Colonel chipv

Postby natty dread on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:29 pm

Well.. the army numbers are clipped, 1-2 bottom lines of pixels are missing from each number. That's all I have right now...

Postby chipv on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:20 pm

natty_dread wrote:Well.. the army numbers are clipped, 1-2 bottom lines of pixels are missing from each number. That's all I have right now...

Can you let me have a screenshot please and also what browser.
Colonel chipv

PreviousNext

Return to Tools & Guides